PDA

View Full Version : Kenny's "Prediction"

Lip Man 1
02-02-2009, 12:46 AM
According to Gail Fisher of Comcast Sports Chicago, Kenny told her that he thinks the Sox will win "90 or so" (direct quote) games in 2009.

Take it for what it's worth to you.

Lip

whitesox901
02-02-2009, 01:12 AM
I agree with KW,

BleacherBandit
02-02-2009, 01:14 AM
It's hard to predict even that in this division.

sullythered
02-02-2009, 02:59 AM
sounds right.

DumpJerry
02-02-2009, 03:05 AM
Based on three of the past four seasons, this is not a wild estimate.

dickallen15
02-02-2009, 08:09 AM
According to Gail Fisher of Comcast Sports Chicago, Kenny told her that he thinks the Sox will win "90 or so" (direct quote) games in 2009.

Lip

Does that include exibition wins?

Craig Grebeck
02-02-2009, 08:16 AM
Dream on.

WhiteSox5187
02-02-2009, 08:26 AM
Well, I would be unnerved if Kenny told someone "Yea, it's not going to be a good year here." At the same time, I have no idea how this pitching staff will wind up winning 90 games. I would honestly be shocked if we got 150 combined innings out of Colon and Contreras, the back end of the rotation might be a black hole and I don't think that you can count on Jenks, Linebrink and Dotel to go the whole season without any time spent on the DL.

doublem23
02-02-2009, 09:20 AM
Well he's obviously not going to say, I'm thinking 70-75 wins this year, but I really struggle to see how this team will even break even. :(:

02-02-2009, 09:20 AM
Dream on.

Have you drawn up your excuses yet for when the Sox win their 90 games?

Taliesinrk
02-02-2009, 09:36 AM

It pains me to do so, but I've gotta go with Grebeck here...

It's Dankerific
02-02-2009, 09:52 AM
Yeah, you never know if a bunch of injuries might cause Ozzie to have to play the right people in the right positions again.

guillensdisciple
02-02-2009, 10:21 AM
Well, it is a bit out of nowhere, but if true, I will say "told you so" to all the pessimists on this board. If false, I will hide in a corner and wait until next year.

veeter
02-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Dream on.The Sox still have, on paper, an excellent bullpen. If Jenks, Dotel, Linebrink and Thornton stay healthy, 90 wins is no dream.

Mr. Man
02-02-2009, 10:24 AM

Lip

Anyone have a clip of that?

jabrch
02-02-2009, 10:31 AM
Well, it is a bit out of nowhere, but if true, I will say "told you so" to all the pessimists on this board. If false, I will hide in a corner and wait until next year.

No reason to hide in a corner. The dopes who predicted us to finish below .500 last year aren't hiding in a corner - and they took a much safer bet.

Nobody can predict the future when it comes to a baseball game. In particular, nobody can do it for the top half of the teams in baseball, which the Sox are. There is a great deal of variability in potential results. Predictions are nothing more than guesses at this point in time.

doublem23
02-02-2009, 10:40 AM
Nobody can predict the future when it comes to a baseball game. In particular, nobody can do it for the top half of the teams in baseball, which the Sox are. There is a great deal of variability in potential results. Predictions are nothing more than guesses at this point in time.

Obviously; none of us are paid baseball experts, this is a fan forum and the opinion that "this team will suck" is no less valid than the opinion "this team will rock." There are reasons to be positive and reasons to be negative, but right now, I see some gaping holes in this roster that apparently will not be filled. I was pretty high on the Sox in 2008 (they exceeded my expectations a bit), but I don't feel the same optimism with this team and that all stems from the very uncertain pitching staff we have.

jabrch
02-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Obviously; none of us are paid baseball experts, this is a fan forum and the opinion that "this team will suck" is no less valid than the opinion "this team will rock." There are reasons to be positive and reasons to be negative, but right now, I see some gaping holes in this roster that apparently will not be filled. I was pretty high on the Sox in 2008 (they exceeded my expectations a bit), but I don't feel the same optimism with this team and that all stems from the very uncertain pitching staff we have.

I think they key there Dubs is that everyone is entitled to their opinion. I don't hear many people saying this team will rock - I am sure someone is - but I don't see it. Either way - that is nothing more than an opinion. It isn't right, it isn't wrong, it certainly isn't a fact.

Craig Grebeck
02-02-2009, 11:06 AM
If they improve their pitching considerably, and pick up an adequate defensive third baseman/center fielder, then they have a shot at 90 wins. At this point, I don't believe they will win 90. .500 is probably a sensible goal, considering the personnel we are relying on.

WhiteSox5187
02-02-2009, 11:14 AM
The Sox still have, on paper, an excellent bullpen. If Jenks, Dotel, Linebrink and Thornton stay healthy, 90 wins is no dream.
That's an awfully big "if"

Craig Grebeck
02-02-2009, 11:16 AM
That's an awfully big "if"
Absolutely. If they stay effective, we've got an awfully good bullpen. That's not a definite for any of them.

doublem23
02-02-2009, 11:24 AM
Aside from his non-throwing shoulder injury at the end of the 1st half of last season, what makes Bobby Jenks' health an "if?" He's a pretty safe lock, IMO, to be around all season.

Craig Grebeck
02-02-2009, 11:26 AM
Aside from his non-throwing shoulder injury at the end of the 1st half of last season, what makes Bobby Jenks' health an "if?" He's a pretty safe lock, IMO, to be around all season.
No pitcher, in this day and age, is a lock to be around all season. The screw in his elbow will always prevent him from being a definite lock.

areilly
02-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Absolutely. If they stay effective, we've got an awfully good bullpen. That's not a definite for any of them.

What good will that bullpen do for a three-man rotation?

oeo
02-02-2009, 11:39 AM

Where is this coming from? Nothing is ever definite.

I know everyone is just waiting for Jenks to break down, but the only time he's been hurt was something unrelated to pitching. Linebrink has been on the Sox offseason plan (our training staff just knows how to keep guys healthy), and is supposed to be watched like a hawk. Dotel is supposedly as healthy as he's been in years, and I don't know where the questions about Thornton's health are coming from.

Again, anything can happen, but the worries are unwarranted.

What good will that bullpen do for a three-man rotation?

Insert two for three, and you have a comment from a year ago. :shrug:

Craig Grebeck
02-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Where is this coming from? Nothing is ever definite.

I know everyone is just waiting for Jenks to break down, but the only time he's been hurt was something unrelated to pitching. Linebrink has been on the Sox offseason plan (our training staff just knows how to keep guys healthy), and is supposed to be watched like a hawk. Dotel is supposedly as healthy as he's been in years, and I don't know where the questions about Thornton's health are coming from.

Again, anything can happen, but the worries are unwarranted.

Insert two for three, and you have a comment from a year ago. :shrug:
Dotel is definitely not the healthiest he's been in years. His ERA and his waistline ballooned in the 2nd half.

As for Jenks, he has a screw in his elbow.

And again, Danks/Floyd are far better pitchers than our current crop of possibilities. Apples and oranges.

DirtySox
02-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Dotel is indeed out of shape. In fact, Ozzie said so himself at Soxfest.

oeo
02-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Dotel is definitely not the healthiest he's been in years. His ERA and his waistline ballooned in the 2nd half.

That has what to do with his arm?

As for Jenks, he has a screw in his elbow.

Again, just waiting for him to break down. Until he does, I'm not going to worry about it. Anything can happen to anyone. Buehrle, who has been healthy as a horse, could have a serious injury. Nobody knows what the hell could happen, there's no sense worrying about it.

And again, Danks/Floyd are far better pitchers than our current crop of possibilities. Apples and oranges.

No, it's not. Last year, people did not have the same feelings of Danks and Floyd as they do now. This is hilarious, people coming back to say last year was so much different.

Not only that, but Contreras was a huge question mark, as well (in fact, since there were serious concerns over Contreras' health, I'll say Colon and Contreras are equals coming in...except one was our #3, the other is our #4). Most people seriously thought we had Buehrle, Vazquez, and then a bunch of crap.

Dotel is indeed out of shape. In fact, Ozzie said so himself at Soxfest.

He was out of shape all of last year. That doesn't mean he can't be effective.

Craig Grebeck
02-02-2009, 12:00 PM
That has what to do with his arm?

Again, just waiting for him to break down. Until he does, I'm not going to worry about it. Anything can happen to anyone. Buehrle, who has been healthy as a horse, could have a serious injury. Nobody knows what the hell could happen, there's no sense worrying about it.

No, it's not. Last year, people did not have the same feelings of Danks and Floyd as they do now. This is hilarious, people coming back to say last year was so much different.

Not only that, but Contreras was a huge question mark, as well. Most people seriously thought we had Buehrle, Vazquez, and then a bunch of crap.
You said Dotel was the healthiest he's been in years. That's obviously not the case when you look at how he absolutely hit a wall in the second half of last season. Also, when you consider what Ozzie said about his health at Soxfest...

The likelihood that Jenks injures an arm that already has a screw in it isn't the same as Buehrle breaking down. Sure, anyone can get hurt, but I'd bet on the guy with the screw in his elbow.

Last year was different. Yes, we took a risk, but if Richard/Broadway/Marquez/Colon were as talented as Danks and Floyd (even in their Sox debuts in 2007), people wouldn't be complaining as much. I'm not going to lump Poreda in there, as it seems they believe he's best suited for a stint in the bullpen at first. People may have been worried about Danks and Floyd, but their concerns are much more valid this season.

And this year, we more than likely have Buehrle, Danks, Floyd, and two pieces of garbage. Also, time will tell just how far Floyd regresses, or if Danks can handle the huge jump in innings.

I'm quibbling because I believe 90 wins is a dream scenario.

CashMan
02-02-2009, 12:01 PM
No pitcher, in this day and age, is a lock to be around all season.

I would disagree. If you are talking about just arm problems, "soft tossers" such as Buehrle do not have problems staying around.

ChiSoxFan81
02-02-2009, 12:03 PM
You said Dotel was the healthiest he's been in years. That's obviously not the case when you look at how he absolutely hit a wall in the second half of last season. Also, when you consider what Ozzie said about his health at Soxfest...

The likelihood that Jenks injures an arm that already has a screw in it isn't the same as Buehrle breaking down. Sure, anyone can get hurt, but I'd bet on the guy with the screw in his elbow.

Last year was different. Yes, we took a risk, but if Richard/Broadway/Marquez/Colon were as talented as Danks and Floyd (even in their Sox debuts in 2007), people wouldn't be complaining as much. I'm not going to lump Poreda in there, as it seems they believe he's best suited for a stint in the bullpen at first. People may have been worried about Danks and Floyd, but their concerns are much more valid this season.

And this year, we more than likely have Buehrle, Danks, Floyd, and two pieces of garbage. Also, time will tell just how far Floyd regresses, or if Danks can handle the huge jump in innings.

I'm quibbling because I believe 90 wins is a dream scenario.

Only time will tell. Last year, when Kenny said we were just in a better position to compete with Detroit, people were incredulous. That doesn't mean Kenny will be right again this year, but there is a precedent. I'd say trust him until we see evidence otherwise.

jabrch
02-02-2009, 12:07 PM
Only time will tell. Last year, when Kenny said we were just in a better position to compete with Detroit, people were incredulous. That doesn't mean Kenny will be right again this year, but there is a precedent. I'd say trust him until we see evidence otherwise.

For clarification, he said that Detroit had put themselves in a better position to compete with us....

Look at what an idiot Kenny is! He has no clue.

Being in the business of baseball predictions is a bad business.

khan
02-02-2009, 12:08 PM

OK, this doesn't sound good. But as an aside, isn't Dotel on the Dominican Republic's provisional WBC roster?

Craig Grebeck
02-02-2009, 12:08 PM
For clarification, he said that Detroit had put themselves in a better position to compete with us....

Yeah, it's much more interesting to make the same post over and over again deriding people for prognosticating.

ChiSoxFan81
02-02-2009, 12:10 PM

Yeah, my bad for screwing up the quote. But the point is the same. I know the off-season makes everyone ancy, but there's no use getting worked up until you see a month or 2 of actual baseball to make a judgement. If Kenny is wrong, hold him accountable. If he's right, give him credit.

jabrch
02-02-2009, 12:14 PM
Yeah, my bad for screwing up the quote. But the point is the same. I know the off-season makes everyone ancy, but there's no use getting worked up until you see a month or 2 of actual baseball to make a judgement. If Kenny is wrong, hold him accountable. If he's right, give him credit.

I agree with you 99%. The 1% that I don't agree with is that people are "ancy". Probably more "antsy" than anything. :D:

kitekrazy
02-02-2009, 12:14 PM
The Sox still have, on paper, an excellent bullpen. If Jenks, Dotel, Linebrink and Thornton stay healthy, 90 wins is no dream.

I wonder how many more games they would have won last year if it weren't for Thome and Konerko sucking most of the season.

I look forward to this season because the team will have a lot of youth.

ChiSoxFan81
02-02-2009, 12:15 PM
I agree with you 99%. The 1% that I don't agree with is that people are "ancy". Probably more "antsy" than anything. :D:

LOL. I need to start taking off the day after the Super Bowl. My brain hurts.

Hitmen77
02-02-2009, 12:28 PM

Lip

What do people expect KW to say to the players and the fans? "We're looking at a revenue decline this year and we have about $30 million of our payroll locked up in Konerko, Thome, and Contreras. Plus, our minor league system has been awful and we don't have much in the way of prospects to trade away to land any major league talent. Therefore, we have to fill our many holes with people like Jerry Owens and Josh Fields and other rookies who haven't exactly set the world on fire in the minors. Quite frankly, we should win about 78 games this year."

Kenny is really limited in what he can do to improve the team this year. But it only makes sense to give a positive message for the players and the fans. His teams won at least 89 games in 3 of the last 4 years. In two of those three years, all the experts pegged us for below .500. So, he's been able to back up his boasts in the recent past.

Seriously, I think our team on paper looks like a 78 win team. I'm much more hopeful for 2010 when Beckham and Viciedo may be ready and we'll be freeing up a bunch of payroll. But, seasons aren't decided "on paper." I'm not writing off the team and I don't think there is zero chance for success in '09.

WhiteSox5187
02-02-2009, 12:47 PM
Out of the guys I mentioned, Jenks is the one I'm least worried about, but as Craig Grebeck keeps pointing out he does have a screw in his shoulder. Also having a great ninth inning guys isn't worth a whole lot if you don't have anyone who can get the ball to him.

Linebrink threw 8 innings in the second half last year and at times Dotel looked just awful; in August and September the bullpen looked like it was returning to its 2007 form. I think the bullpen will be as big of a problem as the rotation this year.

Now, if everyone can stay healthy, again a big if, peple will show this post later on and laugh. I don't think that this is a 90 loss team, but I don't think its a 90 win team either. I think we will be perfectly mediocre.

cards press box
02-02-2009, 02:08 PM
If they improve their pitching considerably, and pick up an adequate defensive third baseman/center fielder, then they have a shot at 90 wins. At this point, I don't believe they will win 90. .500 is probably a sensible goal, considering the personnel we are relying on.

Yes, Little Hurt, it is really easy to take shots at the Sox and predict their doom. After all, if they play well and win 90+ games, no one will remember the shots. Come to think of it, didn't some posters take the exact same shots at the Sox last year? No one called the "dark clouds" out on their shots because the Sox won 89 games and the division.

As to the Sox record this year, I have no opinion yet. As I have said before, I want to see how the winter and spring training play out. I will say this -- this team won 89 games last year. What exactly are their big losses in the offseason?

Nick Swisher? By the end of the year, he was in such a funk that DeWayne Wise started ahead of him. Javier Vazquez? He beat Detroit 4-2 in the first game of a doubleheader on September 14, 2008 and went 0-4 the rest of the way with an ERA over 13.00. Toby Hall? We don't know who the back-up catcher will be but Hall didn't play all that well last year.

Will the Sox miss Orlando Cabrera? Possibly, but his departure allows the Sox to move Alexei Ramirez to SS, his natural position. If Lillibridge wins the job, he would provide speed at the top of the order. Getz also brings some speed and bat control. So, does the substitution of Chris Getz or Brent Lillibridge or Jayson Nix at 2B for Cabrera at SS mean that the Sox will fall more than 10 games off of last year's mark? I don't think so.

MsSoxVixen22
02-02-2009, 02:45 PM
I think KW would rather remain "cautiously optimistic" than say we're going to win the WS, like everyone on the Other side of town does every year, then risk letting everyone down. Let's wait and see how the guys do. It's not even Spring Training yet and already the dark clouds are rolling in! :rolleyes:

doublem23
02-02-2009, 03:05 PM
I think KW would rather remain "cautiously optimistic" than say we're going to win the WS, like everyone on the Other side of town does every year, then risk letting everyone down. Let's wait and see how the guys do. It's not even Spring Training yet and already the dark clouds are rolling in! :rolleyes:

Why is it a crime to look at this roster and say "I'm just not as excited about this Sox team?" I was stoked for 2008, I thought the Sox had a possible contender. I don't feel that way about 2009. There are just so many question marks.

areilly
02-02-2009, 03:13 PM
Javier Vazquez? He beat Detroit 4-2 in the first game of a doubleheader on September 14, 2008 and went 0-4 the rest of the way with an ERA over 13.00.

This actually bothers me more than it should. Replacing a mostly-reliable pitcher with an okay pitcher is one thing, but replacing a mostly-reliable with four huge unknowns. . . yikes.

Nellie_Fox
02-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Why is it a crime to look at this roster and say "I'm just not as excited about this Sox team?" I was stoked for 2008, I thought the Sox had a possible contender. I don't feel that way about 2009. There are just so many question marks.Right now, third base, second base, center field, and 4th and 5th starters are question marks.

People have every right to be reticent.

Sargeant79
02-02-2009, 03:21 PM
This actually bothers me more than it should. Replacing a mostly-reliable pitcher with an okay pitcher is one thing, but replacing a mostly-reliable with four huge unknowns. . . yikes.

I'm with you on that. I'm actually fairly optimistic about the possibilities for this coming year, but the only thing that makes me really concerned is the rotation. I'm not going to miss Vazquez, but I'd be a lot less concerned if we had someone who we could count on for his innings. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised by one of the 4 or 5 back of the rotation candidates, but I'm not counting on it.

On the other hand, I'm okay with the position battles. I think it's realistic to think that among the 6 guys vying for one of the three vacant positions, at least one or two of them will grab the bull by the horns and become valuable parts to the team. If that happens and at least one of the rotation candidates steps up, I don't think 90 wins it outside of the realm of possibility at all. Then again, neither is 78.

SoxSpeed22
02-02-2009, 04:25 PM
It's good to see our GM aiming high. Nobody wants to hear their GM say 'We're gonna suck this year!'
There are plenty of unknowns with this team going into the season. The biggest question marks are 4th/5th starter, 2nd base, 3rd base, center field (the biggest one, IMO) and leadoff man. Like I said earlier, that's a lot of 'if's.
I hope KW's right about Josh Fields. He could have the biggest impact on this team, for better or worse. Whoever wins out between Getz, Nix and Lillibridge should have a better average than Uribe did, but without the power numbers. I don't expect much out of BA, Wise or Owens. Center field could be our biggest problem. For the starting pitchers, whatever we get out of Colon should be considered a bonus. Richard, Broadway, Marquez and Poreda could also make or break the rotation. Contreras is ahead of schedule, which is a plus.
For everyone else, I expect Konerko to be better than last year. Alexei keeps getting better. Dye and Thome should put up numbers similar to last year. Quentin can repeat his success before getting hurt. Floyd and Buehrle need to be the guys who can stop a losing streak. Danks has to avoid hitting the wall in August, like he has done the last two years. A healthy bullpen is necessary in order to contend. Jenks and Linebrink will be the most important guys in the pen.
I think the Sox can win 90 games, but they could just as easily lose 90 games if all of the question marks turn into liabilities.

Rohan
02-02-2009, 04:42 PM
We can only pray...

jabrch
02-02-2009, 04:46 PM
Why is it a crime to look at this roster and say "I'm just not as excited about this Sox team?"

Is it a crime to say that?

There's a difference between saying you are "just not as excited" and saying that the team sucks and that it is a dream that they can win 90 games.

There's nothing wrong with pointing at the questionmarks. There is also nothing wrong with point to strengths, and make a relative comparisons to the teams we are competing against to make the playoffs.

I still haven't heard anyone call this team a lock to make the playoffs. I haven't heard any call it a great team. And I haven't even seen anyone with a ton of confidence in the team. But there is a major difference between that and being 100% certain that between Colon and our pitching prospects we can't fill in the 4th and 5th hole - certainly not when you look at the rotations in Detroit and Cleveland. And there is a major difference between being "just not as excited" about the position players and concluding that between the 3 guys competing for CF time and the 4? guys competing for 2B, that we can't be good enough to make the post season.

Is it a crime to not be excited? I say not. Be as unexcited as you'd like. That's a right.

hawkjt
02-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Last year I saw the Sox as having question marks at 3rd,2nd,leftfield and center field...and in 2 rotation spots. Bullpen was a mystery.

Funny how it works out...2nd base was great, 3rd was passable with a 2nd baseman playing there,left was great, center was so-so even with a HOF acqusition in mid-year, and the weak spots in the rotation were #2 and #3 nor 4 and 5. And the bullpen was hot ,then cold.

So this year,we enter with questions at 3rd,2nd,center field, and 2 rotation spots...same as last year. Hmmmmm. I will keep an open mind about another successful outcome this year.:D:

cws05champ
02-02-2009, 05:37 PM
Not only are there questions about the team, but there are still a few impact players out there on the FA market. And if we don't sign them they could end up at one of our division rivals which could drastically affect whether we make the playoffs and how many games we win.

Say, if Ben Sheets goes to the Indians and manages to stay healthy, they would be in a good position. Same goes if he were to sign here(not going happen).

It's really hard at this point to make a prediction with all that uncertainty.

Frontman
02-02-2009, 05:39 PM
Its exactly what I would expect out of a General Manager who has tried to improve his team during the off-season to say.

spiffie
02-02-2009, 05:44 PM
Why is it a crime to look at this roster and say "I'm just not as excited about this Sox team?" I was stoked for 2008, I thought the Sox had a possible contender. I don't feel that way about 2009. There are just so many question marks.
There were huge question marks in 2008. But the guys Kenny and Ozzie plugged in mostly turned the question marks into exclamation points. Let's give Lillibridge and Getz and Poreda and Richard and all the rest a chance to be this year's versions of Danks and Floyd and Quentin and Alexei before we judge.

In Kenny We Trust...to the bitter end!!!! :bandance::bandance::bandance:

everafan
02-02-2009, 06:54 PM

When the White Sox do well it's always because they were lucky.

voodoochile
02-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Any team with a 2-6 group of hitters as good as the Sox is capable of putting a bunch of runs on the board.

Acquisition of Colon takes some pressure of the pitching staff. The bullpen is solid any way you slice it.

90 is certainly in the realm of possibilities given the relative weakness of our division. KW makes a move or two, a pennant could be possible...

It's Dankerific
02-02-2009, 07:23 PM
Logically, it would be wrong to embrace KW about his evaluation of BA and not embrace him about his prediction of 90 wins. So, 90 wins it is.

02-02-2009, 07:36 PM

Jeff Marquez is going to surprise a lot of people.

Craig Grebeck
02-02-2009, 07:38 PM
I wonder how many more games they would have won last year if it weren't for Thome and Konerko sucking most of the season.

I look forward to this season because the team will have a lot of youth.
Thome did not suck this season.
Kenny Williams in particular.

Daver
02-02-2009, 07:38 PM

He's really that bad?

The Yankees and all their pitching problems wouldn't let him near the mound in Yankee stadium last year.

oeo
02-02-2009, 07:44 PM
He's really that bad?

The Yankees and all their pitching problems wouldn't let him near the mound in Yankee stadium last year.

First of all, Marquez didn't even pitch all of last year due to some arm fatigue. Secondly, Kenny says they've found a flaw which they plan on fixing that will increase his ground balls and strikeouts. The Sox have had a knack for finding and fixing this type of thing lately, so I'm going to trust him.

Now when he talks about fixing Lillibridge's problems, I'm a little more skeptical. The Sox really have no history in turning hitters' careers around.

Sargeant79
02-02-2009, 07:55 PM
First of all, Marquez didn't even pitch all of last year due to some arm fatigue. Secondly, Kenny says they've found a flaw which they plan on fixing that will increase his ground balls and strikeouts. The Sox have had a knack for finding and fixing this type of thing lately, so I'm going to trust him.

I've heard several people say that Marquez will be a pleasant surprise for all of us, and I just don't see it. I've watched video of him pitching and look over his stats at all levels, and I just can't find anything to be impressed about. Of course, my job title in no way resembles "baseball scout," just a fan.

I really, really want to be wrong about this though.

munchman33
02-02-2009, 08:05 PM
I've heard several people say that Marquez will be a pleasant surprise for all of us, and I just don't see it. I've watched video of him pitching and look over his stats at all levels, and I just can't find anything to be impressed about. Of course, my job title in no way resembles "baseball scout," just a fan.

I really, really want to be wrong about this though.

Well, he sinks the ball pretty well, which is big in our park. And he's shown flashes of really good control. So I guess it's possible.

I won't hold my breath.

It's Dankerific
02-02-2009, 08:26 PM
KW isn't trying to trade Marquez too?

Daver
02-02-2009, 08:33 PM
KW isn't trying to trade Marquez too?

I would imagine that the market for unproven minor league pitchers with mediocre numbers and a history of missing seasons due to arm problems isn't all that large.

02-02-2009, 08:45 PM
I would imagine that the market for unproven minor league pitchers with mediocre numbers and a history of missing seasons due to arm problems isn't all that large.

Using "numbers" to assess a players value? There's a first.

It's Dankerific
02-02-2009, 08:52 PM

But I thought KW says lies to the media to trade his players.

:confused:

WHILEPITCH
02-02-2009, 08:58 PM
Gimme one leadoff hitting CF and i will agree with 90.

Quentin for a full year really will make the difference up in my mind.

Brian26
02-02-2009, 09:01 PM
Hahn and Buddy Bell were talking up Marquez big time all weekend. They say they (and their scouts) see a sinker comparable to Garland's along with a better fastball, and obviously a lot cheaper.

It's Dankerific
02-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Hahn and Buddy Bell were talking up Marquez big time all weekend. They say they (and their scouts) see a sinker comparable to Garland's along with a better fastball, and obviously a lot cheaper.

Prolly more heat for the hot stove.

Scottiehaswheels
02-02-2009, 09:18 PM
What were his predictions before the 2007 season? Multiply that prediction by pi to arrive at the nothingness of what this prediction is worth. Seriously, we could end up in first or last place with this team as constructed. Injuries and potential general ineffectiveness within our team and the rest of the division play too big a role at this juncture to determine wins in February. There are too many variables to predict any hard number between 70 or 110 with this team. Personally I think we'll be at the lower end of the spectrum but I guess that is why they play the games?

WhiteSox5187
02-02-2009, 09:30 PM
It's not like they were going to come out and say "Yea, he sucks. You guys can just forget about Marquez ever contributing!"

As Nellie Fox pointed out, CF, 2nd, 3rd and the 4th and 5th spots in the rotation are big question marks, but they were at this time last year too.

Dan Mega
02-02-2009, 09:31 PM
It's not like they were going to come out and say "Yea, he sucks. You guys can just forget about Marquez ever contributing!"

As Nellie Fox pointed out, CF, 2nd, 3rd and the 4th and 5th spots in the rotation are big question marks, but they were at this time last year too.

Yeah but was anyone as high on Marquez as they were on Danks and Floyd? Probably not. But if the scouting reports are saying Garland with a better fastball, then I'm sold.

RockJock07
02-02-2009, 09:36 PM
Right now, third base, second base, center field, and 4th and 5th starters are question marks.

Yes, you are very right. However with the exception of CF, the Sox have depth at each one of those postions.

I know it's unproven depth but at this point I've learned that Kenny knows the talent level of this teams. Given some of the young talent they have acquired and the fact that no other teams in the Central have added significant parts, 90 is no dream.

I'm excited to finnally see a younger team with some speed. The rotation will be interesting however the Sox were never going to go out and sign a sheets or CC, so the fact that KW got rid of crap players and got what he did allowed for the Sox to be in the position they are in right now with some room to add payroll during the season.

PKalltheway
02-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Right now, third base, second base, center field, and 4th and 5th starters are question marks.

I agree. However, I think this team is still capable of putting up a winning season. I don't think that 82-85 wins would be out of the question. They'll have Quentin back healthy, and ready to go. I think that Konerko will be healthy this year, and have a big comeback. Dye should be solid this year, as well as Thome, provided that he stays healthy. Ramirez should have another good year as well.

Even though the 4th and 5th starters are still question marks, Buehrle, Danks, and Floyd are pretty damn good 1, 2 and 3 starters. I'm just hoping that fat Colon will be serviceable, provided that he makes the team, and stays healthy.

The bullpen was a big part of the Sox's success last year, and even though bullpens are very unpredictable from year to year, I'll still take my chances with them.

Overall, I'm not wildly optimistic about the Sox's chances this year, but I'm not pessimistic, either. I almost felt worse about the Sox going into last year than I feel about them this year. Besides, in baseball, you just never know.....

areilly
02-02-2009, 11:24 PM

Maybe the White Sox can trade him to the White Sox.

champagne030
02-02-2009, 11:58 PM

I have a feeling our minor league system isn't going to get much better.:(:

guillensdisciple
02-03-2009, 12:11 AM
I see some holes on this team but I also see younger stars that should only get better as they age. I don't understand why we can't see an increase in batting numbers from our two young stars, as well as greater pitching performances throughout the year from Danks and Floyd. Granted the holes the Sox have in the rotation might cause one to be skeptical, but if the fourth and fifth starter can combine to win 20- 24 games, the White Sox might be on their way to a playoff berth.
I still think the Sox would have made a different kind of impact in the playoffs had Quentin played and Paul Konerko batted in front of him. With him back in the line-up and Alexei and him given a full year of baseball, the runs should be there, regardless of who is playing second base or the center field position. Of course someone has to get on base for them to score, and I am hoping that either Getz, Lillibridge, or Owens will deliver in front of them, it is unlikely for a team to go 0/3 in finding a compatible hitter isn't it?

Rdy2PlayBall
02-03-2009, 12:28 AM
Their offense isn't any worse. Maybe better without Swisher and Uribe.... Fields is NOT THAT BAD. He is not going to sigle-handidly bring this whole team down because of his defense guys, come on, be realistic. If he has been practicing, he should be better.

The 1-3 spots are a done deal for the Sox, pretty simple. 4 and 5 are the only problems. Colons and Contreras can probably fill in a whole season, if not, someone can fill the spots and those aren't sure losses. Clayton looked good, half of you wanted him instead of Vazquez anyway.

These comments of "I'm having a hard time thinking they'll break even" are so annyoing. How much talent do you think the Sox have lose? Not much, Crede didn't even play. If Kenny thinks 90, trust him, he knows baseball more than all of us. :rolleyes:

I don't like where they are, but I still think they can make the play-offs.

4 points
02-03-2009, 02:50 AM
Any team with a 2-6 group of hitters as good as the Sox is capable of putting a bunch of runs on the board.

Acquisition of Colon takes some pressure of the pitching staff. The bullpen is solid any way you slice it.

90 is certainly in the realm of possibilities given the relative weakness of our division. KW makes a move or two, a pennant could be possible...

I was wondering when you were going to chime in, still puffing the Hype pipe I see.

whitesox901
02-03-2009, 02:57 AM

Agreed

WhiteSox1989
02-03-2009, 08:40 AM
I'll wait until the season begins to predict anything of that sort.

But I will say I think the Sox got better when Nick Swisher was traded.

Also I really do not want to count on anything Carlos Quentin related. I'm not trying to be a pessimist but I also don't want to get myself too excited over this guy having a season like the last.

veeter
02-03-2009, 08:57 AM
I'll wait until the season begins to predict anything of that sort.

But I will say I think the Sox got better when Nick Swisher was traded.

Also I really do not want to count on anything Carlos Quentin related. I'm not trying to be a pessimist but I also don't want to get myself too excited over this guy having a season like the last.If there's one guy you don't have to worry about, it's Quentin. He'll be back in a big way.

guillensdisciple
02-03-2009, 09:08 AM
If there's one guy you don't have to worry about, it's Quentin. He'll be back in a big way.

Yep, to me Quentin is the stereotypical staple of the franchise that any winning team should have (ala Albert Pujols, Barry Bonds, David Ortiz, etc..).

WhiteSox1989
02-03-2009, 09:17 AM
I'm not worried, I don't really think he'll do horribly, but in the back of my head I keep telling myself to not get to hyped over it. Just don't want to end up being disappointed.

areilly
02-03-2009, 10:48 AM
Yep, to me Quentin is the stereotypical staple of the franchise that any winning team should have (ala Albert Pujols, Barry Bonds, David Ortiz, etc..).

I can't tell if you're serious or not. He has five-sixths of one great offensive season to his name and you're ready to build the team around him?

guillensdisciple
02-03-2009, 10:53 AM
I can't tell if you're serious or not. He has five-sixths of one great offensive season to his name and you're ready to build the team around him?

Well, I am very optimistic that he will be that guy. He isn't there yet, but after a full year or two of that type of production (barring injury of course) and he will be on that list of players.

jabrch
02-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Well, I am very optimistic that he will be that guy. He isn't there yet, but after a full year or two of that type of production (barring injury of course) and he will be on that list of players.

He is what we have - at a very low price - who has shown more than just potential.

The answer is yes - we should be building around him. I'm not saying we should give him 10/250mm today - but we should certainly be planning on having him as an anchor in the order.

esbrechtel
02-03-2009, 11:26 AM
I have a feeling our minor league system isn't going to get much better.:(:

I trust Bell....he has been very good at evaluating talent IMO.

voodoochile
02-03-2009, 12:06 PM
I was wondering when you were going to chime in, still puffing the Hype pipe I see.

Yep that's me. No thought goes into any of my analysis. I'm strictly a pollyanna pipe huffing fool...

Britt Burns
02-03-2009, 12:12 PM
Let's hope KW's prediction of 90 wins didn't include spring training games....

DrCrawdad
02-04-2009, 12:56 AM
Dream on.

So you don't think the Sox will win 90 games?

What did you predict for the '08 Sox?

What did you predict for the '08 Cubbies?

What do you think of Kenny's comment that the '09 Cubbies are the best NL team? I guess Kenny forgot about the Phillies.

rwcescato
02-04-2009, 01:49 AM
Does that include exibition wins?

I agree. 90 is a lot for this team. Unless he adds another quality starting pitcher. Everything has to go our way for 90 victories as the team stands now.

guillen4life13
02-04-2009, 01:52 AM
I just want to look back to last off season and where people were worried about slots:

Pitching:
1) Would Danks rebound from '07? (4th SP)
2) Would Floyd finally show some results? (5th SP)
3) Would Contreras come back strong? (3rd SP)
4) Would the bullpen actually do its job? (all but Jenks+Thornton)

Positional:
1) 2B?
2) CF?
3) 3B? Would Crede be traded?
4) LF?
5) Could Dye rebound after his down year in '07?
6) Who leads off?

Compare that to now:
Pitching:
1) 4th slot in rotation.
2) 5th slot in rotation.
3) Linebrink comes back healthy?
4) Do Floyd and Danks perform to the standard they did last year?

Positional:
1) 2B?
2) CF?
3) 3B?
4) Does Konerko rebound and have a good year?
5) Who leads off?

Some issues are reoccuring, and others have the same theme but are for different player. To be honest, looking at these side by side, I'd say that the Sox are in better shape now than they were a year ago.

I could see the Sox winning 90 games but a lot of questions need answers. KW is confident that each question will find an answer. It may not happen until the beginning of May, but things will fall into place. I don't expect the Sox to make the playoffs based on stats and team makeup, but I think they will be hot in the race. I just see Cleveland and Minny as being very legitimate threats (Cleveland especially). But I believe the years '10-'12 are going to be some really awesome years on the south side.

4 points
02-04-2009, 04:15 AM
Yep that's me. No thought goes into any of my analysis. I'm strictly a pollyanna pipe huffing fool...

Don`t sell yourself short, a lot of thought goes in to your analysis, maybe a bit on the overoptimistic side, but thats cool.

EuroSox35
02-04-2009, 05:50 AM
I can't say I'm that optimistic. Realistically, last year, the Sox were helped big time by the Indians and Tigers underachieving, and in turn, getting to beat up on the worst division in the AL, and if it wasn't for a coin, the chances of the Sox blowing the division would've still been likely

Now I think Orlando Cabrera is a complete moron, but let's not forget, in September, he was the only Sox hitter who decided to show up. He carried the team for an important period and I doubt we win the division without him. Can young players step up, definitely, we saw that last year, but there's also as good a chance that guys who shined last year won't be able to copy their seasons, we're talking MVP candidates and AllStar/longshot Cy Young performances here.

That said, I still don't think Kenny is done, the last thing he's ever done is clue the fans in on his moves, so I think there's still a chance things could improve between now and the middle of spring training, we'll see though. It's not that I'm a pessimist, but I don't know if the odds favor Cleveland and Detroit not being doormats, the rest of the division not improving, Quentin putting up MVP numbers, the fact that any bullpen arm can be inconsistent from year to year, Danks and Floyd throwing like aces, in addition to counting on young guys to fill big positions, like SP, CF, 2B, etc. Also, I'm not too optimistic about our defense as a whole. When watching the 05 replays the other day, the one thing that stood out to me was how rock solid the defense was, and how people could pinpoint plays and games where the defense changed and saved games, so much so that it was probably taken for granted.

Craig Grebeck
02-04-2009, 09:12 AM
So you don't think the Sox will win 90 games?

What did you predict for the '08 Sox?
I do not believe the 2009 White Sox, as constructed, have a shot at 90 wins.

I didn't participate in the official prediction thread last year, but I was expecting a floor of 82-83 wins with the possibility to reach 86-87 with some breakout performances. I was somewhat pessimistic given the inexperience in the four and five slots in the rotation. Of course, I've got way more trepidation about the possibility of Jeff Marquez pitching any games than I was about Danks or Floyd.

I don't usually expect teams to win 90 games when they've got horrible defense in at least five spots on the field (Dye, AJ, Fields, Quentin, Owens), an aging lineup, limited options in the pitching staff, and a braintrust that is hellbent on giving the most ABs to Jerry Owens.

What did you predict for the '08 Cubbies?

What do you think of Kenny's comment that the '09 Cubbies are the best NL team? I guess Kenny forgot about the Phillies.

I generally don't make predictions about things I don't care about.

Maybe Kenny believes the Cubs are better than the Phillies. It's possible.

Flight #24
02-04-2009, 09:55 AM
I just want to look back to last off season and where people were worried about slots:

Pitching:
1) Would Danks rebound from '07? (4th SP)
2) Would Floyd finally show some results? (5th SP)
3) Would Contreras come back strong? (3rd SP)
4) Would the bullpen actually do its job? (all but Jenks+Thornton)

Positional:
1) 2B?
2) CF?
3) 3B? Would Crede be traded?
4) LF?
5) Could Dye rebound after his down year in '07?
6) Who leads off?

Compare that to now:
Pitching:
1) 4th slot in rotation.
2) 5th slot in rotation.
3) Linebrink comes back healthy?
4) Do Floyd and Danks perform to the standard they did last year?

Positional:
1) 2B?
2) CF?
3) 3B?
4) Does Konerko rebound and have a good year?
5) Who leads off?

Some issues are reoccuring, and others have the same theme but are for different player. To be honest, looking at these side by side, I'd say that the Sox are in better shape now than they were a year ago.

I could see the Sox winning 90 games but a lot of questions need answers. KW is confident that each question will find an answer. It may not happen until the beginning of May, but things will fall into place. I don't expect the Sox to make the playoffs based on stats and team makeup, but I think they will be hot in the race. I just see Cleveland and Minny as being very legitimate threats (Cleveland especially). But I believe the years '10-'12 are going to be some really awesome years on the south side.

My problem is that I think you increased the risk level on the most important area on the team - the rotation. Whereas before you had guys with some experience and flashes of success at the 4&5 slots in Danks/Floyd, now you have an older player coming off of an injury (and he really hasn't pitched much in over a year), and a complete unknown. That of course assumes no other moves made before the season starts, but if Colon isn't healthy and/or gets re-injured then I think you have a decent shot at a complete black hole from 2 spots in the rotation. And that even happens if Marquez/Poreda/Richard are decent for rookies - rookies frequently struggle in their first year. It's why teams frequently go with 1 slot for rookies and/or work them into the 'pen first. But to do that you need 4 solid starters, and the Sox have 3 at best because of Colon's injury ?.

voodoochile
02-04-2009, 09:56 AM
Don`t sell yourself short, a lot of thought goes in to your analysis, maybe a bit on the overoptimistic side, but thats cool.

Well that's just who I am. I consider having a touch of irrational optimism to be an integral part of being a fan (short for fanatic after all). I don't get the people who take it the other way and assume the worst will always befall their favorite team.

asindc
02-04-2009, 11:49 AM
I do not believe the 2009 White Sox, as constructed, have a shot at 90 wins.

I didn't participate in the official prediction thread last year, but I was expecting a floor of 82-83 wins with the possibility to reach 86-87 with some breakout performances. I was somewhat pessimistic given the inexperience in the four and five slots in the rotation. Of course, I've got way more trepidation about the possibility of Jeff Marquez pitching any games than I was about Danks or Floyd.

I don't usually expect teams to win 90 games when they've got horrible defense in at least five spots on the field (Dye, AJ, Fields, Quentin, Owens), an aging lineup, limited options in the pitching staff, and a braintrust that is hellbent on giving the most ABs to Jerry Owens.

I generally don't make predictions about things I don't care about.

Maybe Kenny believes the Cubs are better than the Phillies. It's possible.

Dye is below average, but not "horrible," on defense.

AJ is slightly below average (because he can't throw runners out), but definitely not "horrible," on defense.

Fields was below average in 2007 and "horrible" last season (when not fully healthy) on defense, which gives reason to think he will bounce back to at least below average this season if fully healthy.

Quention has been average on defense, definitely not "horrible."

Owens... well, you are on the mark with that one.

Craig Grebeck
02-04-2009, 11:58 AM
Dye is below average, but not "horrible," on defense.

AJ is slightly below average (because he can't throw runners out), but definitely not "horrible," on defense.

Fields was below average in 2007 and "horrible" last season (when not fully healthy) on defense, which gives reason to think he will bounce back to at least below average this season if fully healthy.

Quention has been average on defense, definitely not "horrible."

Owens... well, you are on the mark with that one.
I stand by my assessment.

doublem23
02-04-2009, 12:31 PM

Defense is all perception, but I also think you're being hard on our corner outfielders, who aren't Gold Glovers by any stretch, but are still solid defensive players. Throw a legitimate centerfielder like Brian Anderson between the two of them, and you have a perfectly acceptable defensive outfield. I think a lot of the problems with last year's defensive performance was the fact we had corner guys like Nick Swisherm Ken Griffey, Jr., and Dewayne Wise playing over 63% of the team's innings in CF.

voodoochile
02-04-2009, 12:45 PM
Defense is all perception, but I also think you're being hard on our corner outfielders, who aren't Gold Glovers by any stretch, but are still solid defensive players. Throw a legitimate centerfielder like Brian Anderson between the two of them, and you have a perfectly acceptable defensive outfield. I think a lot of the problems with last year's defensive performance was the fact we had corner guys like Nick Swisherm Ken Griffey, Jr., and Dewayne Wise playing over 63% of the team's innings in CF.

And what a horrible year it turned out to be...:tongue:

doublem23
02-04-2009, 12:55 PM
And what a horrible year it turned out to be...:tongue:

Well, that should underscore how unimportant outfield defense really is. Whatever little is lost by Dye and Quentin defensively, they both more than made up for that with their bats.

jabrch
02-04-2009, 01:04 PM
Well, that should underscore how unimportant outfield defense really is. Whatever little is lost by Dye and Quentin defensively, they both more than made up for that with their bats.

I'd rank my corner OFs defensive impact just ahead of the speed of my 3-5 hitters. (and I really don't care much about either as long as they have the ability to hit)

IF defense is a totally different story. Even CF is a different story. But corners...as long as you aren't a total butcher, or a complete slug (which JD and Q are not), as long as you are a productive middle of the order hitter, you are fine.

Personal opinion...I put a lot of value on my defense in the IF - very little on corner OFs.

oeo
02-04-2009, 01:07 PM

I'm surprised with your 'assessment' of Quentin because you used to defend his defense...

Craig Grebeck
02-04-2009, 06:34 PM
I'm surprised with your 'assessment' of Quentin because you used to defend his defense...
I'll defend his defense in right field, but he looked a little lost in LF. His defense would be further exposed with a poor CF next to him.

WhiteSox5187
02-04-2009, 07:23 PM
I'll defend his defense in right field, but he looked a little lost in LF. His defense would be further exposed with a poor CF next to him.

We had a poor CF next to him every time Swisher, Wise or Junior played in Center.

soxwon
02-04-2009, 07:25 PM
two mlb preview magazines pick us for 4th place ahead of detroit, even kc is picked higher,
they also pick the yankees over the cubs.
no respect once again.

FedEx227
02-04-2009, 07:27 PM
Fourth is stupid.

Second I can agree with, Cleveland will be back, so I would realistically look at us at either 2nd/3rd, but fourth?

Which magazines are these?

russ99
02-04-2009, 08:18 PM
two mlb preview magazines pick us for 4th place ahead of detroit, even kc is picked higher.

Well, I can understand it, since the Royals improved themselves this offseason, while we took a big step back. At least on paper with proven big-league players. Sporting News has us 4th.

Kenny's entitled to his opinion, but a lot is going to have to go right for the Sox to win one more game than last season, where we had a pretty solid veteran team.

For instance: 2 starters and 350+ IP need to step forward from a group of kids and the two aging injured guys; Danks and Floyd need to handle the larger workload-as an injury to one or both would be catastrophic; Quentin and Ramirez need to avoid the sophomore jinx; Thome and Konerko need to perform at a higher, more consistent level; the bullpen can't backslide; and we need to find at least 2 major league hitters at 3 positions where at this point Ozzie can only choose between multiple rookies and unproven players.

My opinion says we'll be lucky to finish above .500. And I'm not buying advance tickets this year. They'll have to prove it to me that they can contend. And I certainly don't want to be stuck with lots of tix for a bad team like in 2007.

3rd or 4th place might be just the reality.

chisox77
02-04-2009, 08:21 PM
I agree with KW - 90 wins, and maybe a little more.

:cool:

whitesox901
02-04-2009, 08:35 PM
two mlb preview magazines pick us for 4th place ahead of detroit, even kc is picked higher,

:o:

jabrch
02-04-2009, 09:40 PM
no respect once again.

You talking about last year? I highly doubt we finish fourth.

voodoochile
02-04-2009, 09:47 PM

If Detroit finishes 5th with that payroll, someone is going to get fired for sure...

JB98
02-04-2009, 09:48 PM
I think the Sox will definitely be better than Detroit and Kansas City. We could win it. So could Cleveland or Minnesota. Anywhere from first to third is a reasonable prediction for the Sox.

whitesox901
02-04-2009, 09:52 PM
I think the Sox will definitely be better than Detroit and Kansas City. We could win it. So could Cleveland or Minnesota. Anywhere from first to third is a reasonable prediction for the Sox.

I always thought that too, I'd even be as bold to say we are going to Finnish either first or second in the division, an additional bonus to Winning the AL Central in 2009, is that we'll break even with Minny in division titles of the decade, it would be:

White Sox: 2000, 2005, 2008, 2009
Twins: 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006
Indians: 2001, 2007

WhiteSoxFan84
02-04-2009, 10:06 PM
These "predictions" are fun to play around with. No one should take them seriously or get all defensive that someone disagrees with their prediction.

When you have a 162 game season waiting to be played, no one can predict much of ANYTHING let alone how many games any team will win. A team can start 30-10, have any 2 or 3 of their key players go down for an extended period of time, and finish the season 70-92. Saying things like "I highly doubt Dotel, Jenks, Linebrink, and Thornton will all stay healthy for the whole season" is almost like predicting the sun will come up tomorrow.

Kenny is like the CEO of a major corporation. So even during "troubled times", he has to always be optimistic as the leader. It would be easy for Cashman or Epstein to come out and say, "I see our team winning 90 games", that's because they're expected to do so. But when a team is in the shape, on paper, that the Sox are in, people may even laugh at Kenny for saying what he said. But as a leader, he's been doing and is still doing it the right way.

soxwon
02-05-2009, 12:00 AM

2 mags on stands now.

soxinem1
02-05-2009, 12:08 AM
Is it preferable for KW to talk like they are in TOR, that they expect to have a very strong team ready to contend......... in 2010?

SoxSpeed22
02-05-2009, 12:25 AM

:o:
Just the way we like it. :cool:

jabrch
02-05-2009, 12:55 AM
If Detroit finishes 5th with that payroll, someone is going to get fired for sure...

Like last year?