PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Niemann?

tm1119
02-01-2009, 10:19 AM
I havent seen a player name with a ? thread in a while so i figured i'd try one.

Niemann was a former 1st round draft pick who has been pretty solid in the minors so far in his career. The Rays have no room for him in their rotation and he is out of options so a trade is very possible. KW seems to like to pick up other teams unused prospects and turning them into gold for us so I really think this guy could be worth at least a look from KW.

FedEx227
02-01-2009, 10:41 AM
It would be awesome, but it will take a lot of get him if they are going to deal him. Although I could see him making the team as a long reliever because he's way too talented for them to just cut ties with.

tm1119
02-01-2009, 11:07 AM
It would be awesome, but it will take a lot of get him if they are going to deal him. Although I could see him making the team as a long reliever because he's way too talented for them to just cut ties with.

Im not really sure how much it would take to get him but I doubt it would be a whole lot. They are in a position where they have to real use for him. All 5 of their current starters are still under 30, they still have 2 better prospects than him in Wade Davis and Jeremy Hellickson. Not to mention that the long reliever spots are already taken with former SP's like J.P. Howell and Jason Hammel. They really have no reason to keep him at this point, again not sure what it would take from our system to get him but i really dont think it would be all that much.

FedEx227
02-01-2009, 11:11 AM
The only thing though is they hold the power. Yeah he's out of options, but he's still a damn good pitcher, he just happens to play in one of the more talented farm systems in the game.

SoxNation05
02-01-2009, 02:13 PM
Does seem like a guy KW would target.

He hasn't failed at all. IIRC he didn't have a stellar '08. The fact that he is in a system with great, young pitchers doesn't make him easy to acquire. It just seems the the Ray's management would be less reluctant to part with him.

You can never have too much pitching.

tm1119
02-01-2009, 02:24 PM
Does seem like a guy KW would target.

He hasn't failed at all. IIRC he didn't have a stellar '08. The fact that he is in a system with great, young pitchers doesn't make him easy to acquire. It just seems the the Ray's management would be less reluctant to part with him.

You can never have too much pitching.

Yeah but what would they do with him? Unless they feel he could be a good closer or setup man then he has very little value to them. Hes about 7th in order of starting pitchers for them. So why wouldnt they trade him for some kind of value they could use. Now the question is do we actually have what they would want?

SoxNation05
02-01-2009, 02:34 PM
Yeah but what would they do with him? Unless they feel he could be a good closer or setup man then he has very little value to them. Hes about 7th in order of starting pitchers for them. So why wouldnt they trade him for some kind of value they could use. Now the question is do we actually have what they would want?
I actually think Tyler Flowers would be a great fit in Tampa and they line up pretty well in prospect rankings. I am not sure if either teams would be interested in that.

kittle42
02-02-2009, 05:08 PM
I havent seen a player name with a ? thread in a while

That's generally a good thing. :D: