PDA

View Full Version : Quentin WON'T play in World Baseball Classic!

chisoxfanatic
01-31-2009, 04:22 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090130&content_id=3788556&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

I think this is a great decision on TCQ's part. He'll get a chance to get some more lower-impact training before playing in games that really count for the organization.

He seems focused on contributing on the Sox' roster this coming season more than anyting. Good for him!

What are everyone's expectations for him in 2009?

JohnTucker0814
01-31-2009, 08:07 AM
I'm kind of dissapointed that he made this decision. It seems like the orginazation may have pushed him this way, otherwise you don't have your name on the preliminary roster. Why wouldn't you want him to get national exposure playing in this thing? It does benefit the White Sox with one of their premier players (maybe the guy that is the face of the franchise if he is successfull this year).

whitem0nkey
01-31-2009, 08:27 AM
from what really counts, a world series, its great. with this move he has increased his chances to be ready for 2009.

but from a fan of the game its disappointing. I love baseball, and the WBC is another great place to see a diff part of baseball. I love TCQ and it would be great to see both of these two together.

at least 1 more thing is now settled for 09, and it works out best for the sox fan.

Juice16
01-31-2009, 08:48 AM
If you are going to play in spring training, I don't understand why you can't participate in the WBC. I'm all for reahabbing Carlos' injury, but for the other players who opted out of the WBC but are still playing in ST. . . I see no difference.

WhiteSox1989
01-31-2009, 09:00 AM
From what Jesse was saying on the score last night, it seems like Kenny and Ozzie are really against the WBC, and that's probably why Quentin isn't going to play. I don't think it should have been up to anyone but Quentin, however I am happy he isn't playing in it.

Vestigio
01-31-2009, 09:49 AM
I'm kind of dissapointed that he made this decision. It seems like the orginazation may have pushed him this way, otherwise you don't have your name on the preliminary roster. Why wouldn't you want him to get national exposure playing in this thing? It does benefit the White Sox with one of their premier players (maybe the guy that is the face of the franchise if he is successfull this year).

He'll get that exposure when he's having another MVP calibur season

Red Barchetta
01-31-2009, 10:54 AM
Since he is coming off a season-ending injury, this is the best decision for both him and the organization. It would be different if he hadn't had the injury. It's good to see him and the organization decide to do what's best for the White Sox and not necessarily MLB.

chisox616
01-31-2009, 11:10 AM
I'm glad. It would've been nice to see how he was holding up a little early but this really is for the best. Besides, I think TCQ is already pretty good on the exposure factor.

jabrch
01-31-2009, 02:20 PM

Why should I care if Q gets "exposure"? I want to win baseball games once Opening Day comes. I don't know if WBC hurts the chances of that - but it sure doesn't help.

Frontman
01-31-2009, 05:55 PM
If you are going to play in spring training, I don't understand why you can't participate in the WBC. I'm all for reahabbing Carlos' injury, but for the other players who opted out of the WBC but are still playing in ST. . . I see no difference.

Because in ST games; you focus on working on various skills. You might go to the plate with the mindset to hit to the opposite field, or to focus on hitting a certain pitch.

WBC is live games, meaning they count, meaning you'd see players playing all-out.

It's Quentin's decision, and I for one am glad he's focused on rehab and return to form; instead of worrying about playing for the US in the WBC.

doublem23
01-31-2009, 06:02 PM
I don't know if WBC hurts the chances of that - but it sure doesn't help.

A friend at work and I were talking about this. The WBC obviously is rough on pitchers, but truthfully, I think its beneficial to hitters. At least moreso than playing in glorified BP sessions in Spring Training. All hitters talk about how you can never recreate the atmosphere of live pitching in practice, so the WBC provides a good environment for them to tune up their game. Plus, it benefits the Sox since Quentin is assured a spot on the 25-man roster, to give more PT to guys lower on the depth chart to make or break their case to come North with the team.

Of course there's risk of injury, but I don't think it's any greater than playing in crap games in ST, but the benefits of the WBC for hitters are much greater than those offered by Spring games. :dunno:

doublem23
01-31-2009, 06:03 PM
WBC is live games, meaning they count, meaning you'd see players playing all-out.

You didn't watch the WBC three years ago, did you? No one was really going "all out." They were trying to win, but let's not pretend like every game had a play-off game atmosphere.

Frontman
01-31-2009, 06:05 PM
You didn't watch the WBC three years ago, did you? No one was really going "all out." They were trying to win, but let's not pretend like every game had a play-off game atmosphere.

Trying to win versus practice? Sounds like they're playing HARDER than a spring training game, correct?

Daver
01-31-2009, 06:07 PM
Trying to win versus practice? Sounds like they're playing HARDER than a spring training game, correct?

Are we going to start this pointless argument again?

You can get hurt crossing the street much worse than you can on a baseball field.

doublem23
01-31-2009, 06:08 PM

Right, so wouldn't that be a better way to prepare for actual games? Playing when it matters, against guys trying to win, rather than playing against pitchers who are just working on their secondary pitches and don't really care if they get lit up or not?

areilly
01-31-2009, 06:10 PM

Team Cuba was actually pretty intense throughout, warming up relievers in the first inning and whatnot.

Nellie_Fox
02-01-2009, 12:50 AM
I think the WBC is a waste of time that could be better spent in spring training, working with your teammates on executing fundamentals. I truly didn't pay a moment's attention to the WBC last time, and don't expect to do so this time.

Frontman
02-01-2009, 07:50 AM
I think the WBC is a waste of time that could be better spent in spring training, working with your teammates on executing fundamentals. I truly didn't pay a moment's attention to the WBC last time, and don't expect to do so this time.

Then you're not a true fan of baseball.

And yes, I've heard that from WBC supporters when I've said I'm not thrilled with it. Thankfully, nobody here at WSI have shown that type of ignorance. While I might not be into it; I can see how people will enjoy it. To them I say have fun.

jabrch
02-01-2009, 11:01 AM
A friend at work and I were talking about this. The WBC obviously is rough on pitchers, but truthfully, I think its beneficial to hitters. At least moreso than playing in glorified BP sessions in Spring Training. All hitters talk about how you can never recreate the atmosphere of live pitching in practice, so the WBC provides a good environment for them to tune up their game. Plus, it benefits the Sox since Quentin is assured a spot on the 25-man roster, to give more PT to guys lower on the depth chart to make or break their case to come North with the team.

Of course there's risk of injury, but I don't think it's any greater than playing in crap games in ST, but the benefits of the WBC for hitters are much greater than those offered by Spring games. :dunno:

I think :dunno: says it best. To me - this is a non-factor either way.

Eddo144
02-01-2009, 01:03 PM
I agree with Nellie. I could care less who wins the WBC; I mean, sure, I hope it's Team USA, but I figure I'll only watch a WBC game if it happens to be on TV. I want the best players to be on the White Sox roster first and foremost.