PDA

View Full Version : Who is your favorite Sox player all-time, and why?

chisoxfanatic
01-31-2009, 01:12 AM
It's been a horrible winter weather-wise in my book, and we're still a couple weeks before pitchers and catchers report to the Arizona sun. I thought I'd start a thread where all posters could post their favorite Sox player of all time, as well as discuss why that player is your favorite. Just some nice off-season chatter...As the thread starter, I'll go first:

Robin Ventura played the game the way it was meant to be played. I liked the way Joe Crede played defensively; but, Ventura was the best defensive infielder I've ever seen during my time following this team (which has been 2 decades). He was truly had a glove of steel, and he truly deserved his multiple Golden Gloves. Not only were his defensive abilities above normal, but he had an above-average bat that produced many memorable moments...hitting grand slams in back-to-back innings against Texas easily comes to mind, as well as many firework-producing moments.

I liked Frank Thomas, Carlos Lee, Wilson Alvarez, Carlton Fisk, Black Jack McDowell, and I like Paul Konerko; but, a very special part of my heart is reserved for Robin "Hot Corner" Ventura. I hope to have the pleasure of meeting him sometime in my life.

LoveYourSuit
01-31-2009, 01:24 AM
Frank Thomas.

By himself put White Sox baseball back on the map post '83 season and actually made the White Sox mean something on a National Level.

Nellie_Fox
01-31-2009, 02:04 AM
I became a Sox fan in the "go-go" days of the fifties. Fox and Aparicio were the anchors of that team. I soon found out that I lacked the throwing arm to be a shortstop, so I became a dedicated Nellie Fox fan. I'd even stuff penny Tootsie Rolls into my cheek when I was playing ball so I could have a bulging cheek and spit brown juice just like Nellie.

chisoxfanatic
01-31-2009, 04:14 AM
Frank Thomas.

By himself put White Sox baseball back on the map post '83 season and actually made the White Sox mean something on a National Level.
Frank Thomas is one of the big reasons I chose the Sox over the Cubs when choosing which baseball team I'd continue following. Though he didn't play much in the season, it was great he got his World Series ring before parting ways. Anything else would've been a travesty, IMHO, considering all that he meant to the Sox.

eastchicagosoxfan
01-31-2009, 04:45 AM
Ron Kittle has remained my favorite White Sox player. He's a Region guy like me.

wassagstdu
01-31-2009, 06:55 AM
Luis Aparicio (I had the arm to be a shortstop, but nothing else), Billy Pierce, and Nellie Fox were my heroes. What a great time to grow up on the south side! After the Go-Go era, Ozzie Guillen was my favorite. Then the whole '05 team, especially PodsIguchi and Uribe. Good shortstops are the reason I watch the game.

LITTLE NELL
01-31-2009, 07:08 AM
Little Nell's favorite is Little Nell. He was the heart and soul of the Go-Go White Sox of the 50s and early 60s. First thing I looked for in the daily box score was how many hits did Nellie get. 14 All- Star games, MVP in 59, 3 gold gloves, led AL in hits 4 years, hit over .300 6 years, hardly ever struck out. He was my hero.
Tie for 2nd place; Pierce, Minoso, Aparicio, Harold, Fisk, Ventura, PK and Buehrle.

soxfan21
01-31-2009, 07:46 AM
Fisk. He just played balls to the wall every game, and played the game the way it should be played. As a youngster I loved going to games and watching him play.

TornLabrum
01-31-2009, 08:11 AM
I'm a Go-Go era fan, too, and my favorite is Nellie Fox. Happily I've met my favorite pitcher from that era (and therefore my favorite living Sox player0 who also happened to be Fox's roommate, the man who would have been in the HOF years ago if only his pinstripes had NY printed on them: Billy Pierce.

Craig Grebeck
01-31-2009, 08:12 AM
My favorite of all-time is probably Frank Thomas.

Honorable Mention: Robin Ventura, Mark Buehrle, Eddie Collins, Minnie Minoso, Tim Raines

jamokes
01-31-2009, 08:17 AM
He wasn't a White Sox player for long and you don't think of him as a Chisox but Jim Kaat was and is my favorite.

When he first came to the White Sox from the Twins in the early 70's we got to know him and he's a good person, class act on and off the field.

He had a long career with some success. After the Twins thought he was washed up he still won 20 games twice for the Sox, how many pitchers can say they won 20 games once in a season.

Dibbs
01-31-2009, 08:30 AM
Frank Thomas. He was the greatest player in the history of the franchise. I was still at a young age when he came up, and I will never have another"idol" like this again.

longtimesoxguy
01-31-2009, 09:07 AM
Harold Baines.

WhiteSox1989
01-31-2009, 09:07 AM
Frank Thomas, for me. I'm 20, so my earliest memories of going to games was in the 90's, and Frank was a big part of that. I remember going to kids days and always going super early just to line up for Frank.

veeter
01-31-2009, 09:14 AM
I can't narrow it to one. From way back Dick Allen and Jorge Orta. Mid-late 70's, Chet Lemon. Now, Mark Buehrle. CQ is closing fast. But I really like them all.

russ99
01-31-2009, 09:14 AM
Fisk. He just played balls to the wall every game, and played the game the way it should be played. As a youngster I loved going to games and watching him play.

Right with you. And the other thing about Fisk, is that he's the first big name player the Sox signed as a free agent, when Jerry and Eddie bought the team, thus signaling an end to Veeck's rent-a-player scheme.

While Veeck did that because he couldn't afford to spend on players, seeing almost all your top players leave town every year was bad on the young Sox fan's psyche. Especially since you could have found a Yankee or another Series winner that you cheered for on the South Side a few seasons ago.

Carlton's acquisition and then his backing it up with tough, steady and spectacular play changed all that.

The Big Hurt's a close second.

Bucky F. Dent
01-31-2009, 09:26 AM
Ozzie Guillen

Played the game with an extraordinary spirit. Loved to watch Ozzie play.

And now he's come back to lead my Sox to a World Series!

ode to veeck
01-31-2009, 09:52 AM
Minnie Minoso, who pretty much put the Go Go in the Sox from the day he arrived from the Indians

Rocky Soprano
01-31-2009, 10:00 AM
Frank Thomas, when I was a kid he was probably the main reason why I became a Sox fan.

voodoochile
01-31-2009, 10:02 AM
Frank "The Big Hurt" Thomas

He was simply the best hitter I've ever seen in his prime. I think he got a bum rap and it only solidified my love for the big man when others found it fashionable to jump on Moronotti's bandwagon and rip Frank to shreds. I agree his mouth got him in trouble, but at least he wasn't a phony. I assume he's done playing and that's sad. Hope he gets the first ballot vote in he deserves.

gna2112
01-31-2009, 10:35 AM
Great thread during the winter....MY all-time favorite player is Harold Baines, still remember sitting in the upper deck in right field. Received 2 free tickets for perfect attendance in school that year, and against the Tigers he hit 3 homeruns in 1 game, will never forget that night. After Harold, it's the "Big Hurt" like what was mentioned before, he put the Sox on the national radar. He even gets mentioned by my favorite rock group"RUSH" in their Roll The Bones tour book.

pearso66
01-31-2009, 10:47 AM
My favorite has to be Frank Thomas. Like many, he's the reason I became a Sox fan. Unfortunately when I was younger my parents went to a lot of Cub games because my moms friends were Cubs fan. Therefore I followed that team. I went to a Sox game in 92 with one of my friends for his birthday party and havn't looked back. My whole family, aside from my dad who doesn't really care about sports, are huge Sox fans.

Second and third at this point are Buehrle and Dye.

forrestg
01-31-2009, 10:50 AM
My son's favorite was Harold Baines he was a sox longer but I loved when Dick Allen came to the plate. When he hit the ball solidly which was a lot you could hear the bat connect with the ball. A sound that could never be duplicated although Thome comes close. Difference was that Allen's trademark line drives went out of the park in a hurry those line drives also produced a lot of extra base hits.. He was a game changer he did more than just have power he could run and play the field well.. TCQ is now my current favorite and may with another good year take the #1 spot in my heart.. TCQ has such a quick bat sometimes he reaches out and gets a single but his homeruns look like he's just reaching out to meet the ball but the ball decides to go over the fence.. LIke he really communicates with a major league baseball.

01-31-2009, 11:01 AM
I always say Harold Baines since I was a a kid in the 80's and loved watching him....the 83 team really got me into baseball, Greg Luzuinski was fun to watch that year, but as all time Favorites, it will always be Harold, even though I was a huge Big Frank as I got older.

Britt Burns
01-31-2009, 11:09 AM
Frank, because he is the best White Sox player of all time. From '91 to '97 there wasn't a better hitter in the business. The Sox hadn't had a home-grown, long-term marquee player like that in...? Ever? I'd hate to think what this organization would have looked like without him.

PKalltheway
01-31-2009, 11:55 AM
I can't narrow it down to just one, either. I loved Frank Thomas, but the player that had me become a die-hard Sox fan was Magglio Ordonez. He was by far my favorite player on the White Sox when he was there, and even though he's in Detroit now, I still enjoy watching him rake (of course, except against us)! Watching the Sox in 2000 with Mags and the Big Hurt tearing everybody up was a lot of fun!:cool:

Paul Konerko is also up there with Mags and the Big Hurt, as far as my favorites go. He's the only Sox player I was fortunate enough to get an autograph from, not to mention he helped lead the Sox to the 2005 title. I really hope the day comes when I see Paulie's number retired on the outfield wall along with the Big Hurt, and the other Sox greats. He deserves it IMHO.

#1swisher
01-31-2009, 12:59 PM
I can't pick just one either.

Thomas
Fisk
Ventura
Everyone on the 2005 Team

doublem23
01-31-2009, 01:19 PM
I love the Big Hurt, Mark Buehrle, Mike Sirotka... But my absolute favorite is Robin Ventura.

LITTLE NELL
01-31-2009, 01:19 PM
I'm a Go-Go era fan, too, and my favorite is Nellie Fox. Happily I've met my favorite pitcher from that era (and therefore my favorite living Sox player0 who also happened to be Fox's roommate, the man who would have been in the HOF years ago if only his pinstripes had NY printed on them: Billy Pierce.
Somehow we have to get Billy in the HOF, maybe some kind of written campaign. Can the powers that be of WSI start something?

Daver
01-31-2009, 01:28 PM
Somehow we have to get Billy in the HOF, maybe some kind of written campaign. Can the powers that be of WSI start something?

He's no longer eligible by the current voting rules.

DumpJerry
01-31-2009, 01:48 PM
First off, this has not been a horrible winter. We unloaded Javy The Head Case and Swisher The Whiner.

I have several that qualify for the title in my book:
Little Louis
Richie Allen
Wilbur Wood

oldcomiskey
01-31-2009, 01:49 PM
I can't narrow it to one. From way back Dick Allen and Jorge Orta. Mid-late 70's, Chet Lemon. Now, Mark Buehrle. CQ is closing fast. But I really like them all.

Ive been a Sox fan since I was a wee baron growing up in Lyons. The first Sox team I remember was the 72 Chuck Tanner team, so naturally my all time fave has gotta be Dick Allen. I mean all Dick and Harry Carey did was save the franchise.

LITTLE NELL
01-31-2009, 01:54 PM
He's no longer eligible by the current voting rules.
Sorry, should have known that. Oh well, Billy is in my HOF and his #19 is retired by the Sox which is a great honor.

Daver
01-31-2009, 02:01 PM
Sorry, should have known that. Oh well, Billy is in my HOF and his #19 is retired by the Sox which is a great honor.

The people that vote don't know the voting rules, why should you?

LITTLE NELL
01-31-2009, 02:06 PM
The people that vote don't know the voting rules, why should you?
Because I'm older and wiser than them. In fact I would love to be on the veterans commitee, I would right some wrongs.

LITTLE NELL
01-31-2009, 02:33 PM
First off, this has not been a horrible winter. We unloaded Javy The Head Case and Swisher The Whiner.

I have several that qualify for the title in my book:
Little Louis
Richie Allen
Wilbur Wood
Luis, not Louis

raul12
01-31-2009, 02:41 PM
I still remember hearing about this youngster named Frank Thomas in the minors who had an amazing eye and could hit with power to all fields. After the dismal late 80's baseball on the south side, it seemed too good to be true. But when he came up...wow. I've never seen a better hitter in my life. here's to you Frank! :gulp:

Honorable mention: Fisk, Baines, and Julio Cruz (cause I got to see him hit a grand slam!)

JB98
01-31-2009, 02:43 PM

Fox was my grandfather's favorite as well. He used to tell me about Fox a lot because I played 2B on my Little League team back in the day. At that time, I think Fred Manrique was the Sox 2B, and he probably wasn't the best example for me to follow. :D:

My all-time favorite is Ventura. He was a clutch player and the consummate professional. All class.

Of course, my current favorite player is Pierzynski, and he's the consummate horse's ass. I guess that makes me sound a little bit contradictory, but I'm fond of players who will rip off your skull and piss on your brain in order to win a game.

chisoxfanatic
01-31-2009, 03:02 PM
Of course, my current favorite player is Pierzynski, and he's the consummate horse's ass. I guess that makes me sound a little bit contradictory, but I'm fond of players who will rip off your skull and piss on your brain in order to win a game.
As long as he's playing for your team, that is. :D:

I hope he does something "creative" to Gomez, Span, or Kubel. That would be nice!

beasly213
01-31-2009, 03:14 PM
Robin Ventura. He always seemed to come up with a big hit, was such a nice guy and was the original "Grand Slam Kid"

I even became a Mets fan because he went there after his playing days with the Sox. It's a shame he had to leave when he did but was a great player in Sox history and I'd like for him to be involved with the organization again sometime soon.

HBaines03
01-31-2009, 03:55 PM
My vote is for Harold Baines slightly over Frank Thomas. I grew up when Harold played and I wore his #3 when I played baseball. I always admired how Harold let his play do his talking for him - never a premadonna or boistorous in his actions. Classy classy individual in my opinion.......

Frank Thomas was a fantastic hitter that I loved seeing at the top of all offensive categories for so long. Unfortunately, it seemed as if Frank changed his swing style to become strictly a power hitter about the time we brought Albert Belle on to the team. Don't know if it was Albert or the hype that caused it but it makes me wonder what could have been had we not made the free agent pickup. His average slipped and he became a LF hitter instead of power to all fields as he was for a large part of his career.

Paulwny
01-31-2009, 04:21 PM
I became a Sox fan in the "go-go" days of the fifties. Fox and Aparicio were the anchors of that team. I soon found out that I lacked the throwing arm to be a shortstop, so I became a dedicated Nellie Fox fan. I'd even stuff penny Tootsie Rolls into my cheek when I was playing ball so I could have a bulging cheek and spit brown juice just like Nellie.

This is exactly me, except I placed black licorice in my cheek.

PaleHoser
01-31-2009, 04:22 PM
I loved watching Harold Baines play, and cried like a baby when they traded in him in 1989. I swore off the Sox and gave away my remaining season tickets.

But if I had to pick one favorite, I would go with "The Commander" Carlton Fisk.

He played the most demanding position in the game for 24 seasons, until age 45. He gave up the game only after it was taken away from him.

He was supposed to be through after his knee was wrecked during a collision at home plate in 1974. He was washed up when he had right elbow problems in 1979-80. Hawk Harrelson put him out to pasture in left field in 1986 to make room for phenom Joel Skinner.

Carlton Fisk played the game with passion, respect and reverence. He demanded the same from his teammates and his opponents - just ask Deion Sanders.

They used to play a video montage of him playing to U2's "Desire" at Comiskey Park. If I had to summarize his style of play in one word, I think that's appropriate.

the1tab
01-31-2009, 04:56 PM
Brothers & Sisters, I'm disappointed that my personal favorite hasn't made an appearance yet.

Ventura was a solid third baseman who played defense and offense both incredibly well. He's in my top five.

Thomas was a coarse personality keeping the media from ever giving enough credit to what was probably the best hitter of the 90s. He's in my top 5.

Before Buehrle was goofy and Jenks was tall and wide, Black Jack McDowell was as bad a man as there was not named Dave Stewart. He's in my top five as well.

I'm a big fan of Fisk as well, just because he kept putting his tail on the line every day, even when his knees told him he couldn't.

But my personal favorite is One Dog - Lance Johnson. For all the wish lists of players in this town on either team, the leadoff man has been the biggest glaring weakness we've been forced to deal with. One Dog ran and ran and ran some more. He was the man, and as a guy that led off and played center growing up he was a guy I loved to watch.

So, my top 5:

1. One Dog
2. Black Jack
3. Pudge
4. Ventura
5. The Big Hurt

MikeW
01-31-2009, 08:53 PM
I have so many favorites, but two that will always come to mind are Nellie Fox and Ken Berry. Fox for obvious reasons. Berry used to make some unbelievable catches in the old Comiskey. I can still see him rob Joe Pepitone of a homer during the 1969 season.

Tragg
01-31-2009, 09:59 PM
I'll give a little love to the decade of my teens, the 70s.
It's gotta be the workhorse himself, Wilbur Wood

DSpivack
01-31-2009, 10:05 PM
Frank Thomas.

If he wasn't around when I was growing up, not sure if I would've ended up a Sox fan.

Zisk77
01-31-2009, 10:51 PM
Of all time: Harold Baines

First hero: Richie Zisk the Polish Prince.

BTW Tragg's secret favorite player is Dewayne Wise :wink:

maggliofan10
01-31-2009, 11:08 PM
Harold Baines

followed by Frank Thomas.

AJRoxMyWhiteSox
01-31-2009, 11:08 PM
I always remembered Frank Thomas when I was little and rarely watched baseball. So I'll always like him. However, AJ will always be my favorite. Watching him in San Francisco in 2004 really got me into baseball again, and when I started college that fall in Chicago, I started following the Sox again. Little did I know AJ would follow me here!

Nellie_Fox
02-01-2009, 12:48 AM
This is exactly me, except I placed black licorice in my cheek.We probably both have fillings in molars that we wouldn't have had if we hadn't been soaking them in sugar for hours at a time. :tongue:

Church Turtle
02-01-2009, 01:00 AM
But if I had to pick one favorite, I would go with "The Commander" Carlton Fisk.

He played the most demanding position in the game for 24 seasons, until age 45. He gave up the game only after it was taken away from him.

He was supposed to be through after his knee was wrecked during a collision at home plate in 1974. He was washed up when he had right elbow problems in 1979-80. Hawk Harrelson put him out to pasture in left field in 1986 to make room for phenom Joel Skinner.

Carlton Fisk played the game with passion, respect and reverence. He demanded the same from his teammates and his opponents - just ask Deion Sanders.

They used to play a video montage of him playing to U2's "Desire" at Comiskey Park. If I had to summarize his style of play in one word, I think that's appropriate.

He's my favorite too. His work ethic always impressed me, as did his respect for the game.

Noneck
02-01-2009, 01:07 AM
We probably both have fillings in molars that we wouldn't have had if we hadn't been soaking them in sugar for hours at a time. :tongue:

I loaded up with blackjack gum. Then was doing the same as I emulated Joel Horlen and was shocked to find out that Horlen had tissue paper in his cheek not tobaccie.

TDog
02-01-2009, 01:31 AM
Carlos May meant so much to me when I was coming of age as a Sox fan, having a great rookie season and then coming back from his accident. He was the other .300 hitter in the White Sox lineup in 1972. I've had the good fortune to get to know him as an adult. He'll always be my hero, and when I need to wear a number, I'll wear 17.

Harold Baines was a special player and continues to be a special human being.

I was a huge Dick Allen fan in 1972 and a bit thereafter. I was a huge Frank Thomas fan before he went to Oakland. But neither were my favorite Sox player during their White Sox eras.

TornLabrum
02-01-2009, 01:32 AM
We probably both have fillings in molars that we wouldn't have had if we hadn't been soaking them in sugar for hours at a time. :tongue:

I used to take 3-4 pieces of that great stale Topps bubble gum and stick it in my jaw.

Nellie_Fox
02-01-2009, 02:03 AM
I used to take 3-4 pieces of that great stale Topps bubble gum and stick it in my jaw.The stuff that shattered when you first bit into it?

guillensdisciple
02-01-2009, 02:38 AM
Frank and Minnie. Frank because he was the first player I knew in a Sox uniform (thank you baseball trading cards) and Minnie because he is Cuban and he is still representing the White Sox at an old age.

TornLabrum
02-01-2009, 07:50 AM
The stuff that shattered when you first bit into it?

That's the stuff. It'd make a great lump in your cheek after you got it moist.

tick53
02-01-2009, 10:07 AM
Luis Aparicio. It goes back to my days as a kid in the old park. I just thought he was a great player and a cool dude.

guillen4life13
02-01-2009, 10:08 AM
1. Mark Buehrle: His personality of not taking things too seriously, being a workhorse and being there for the team. The best consistent pitcher the Sox have had since I started following them.

2. Ozzie. I just liked his defense, mouth, etc.
3. Frank. 'Nuff said.
4. TCQ. Keep it up and he'll be at the top of this list.
5. Joe Crede. Great defense, big hits in clutch situations (ALCS game II was the best sporting memory of my life!).

Honorable mention: Roberto Alomar. Not for what he did in Chicago, but nonetheless, IMHO the best 2B ever on both sides of the ball.

DumpJerry
02-01-2009, 11:06 AM
Not Sox players, but when I was a wee one, The Mick and Willie Mays always were favorites of mine.

soxpride724
02-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Hands down Frank Thomas.

I can't think of anything new that has not been posted as to why.

Growing up, I felt like the the Sox had the Michael Jordan of Baseball with Thomas. I felt very fortunate to be a fan of Chicago sports in the early 90's (Bulls/Sox).

Good times.

Eddo144
02-01-2009, 01:00 PM
Carlos Martinez.

In all seriousness, one of the 'aineses (Tim R. or Harold B.). Probably Raines, if I had to pick one. Ventura's near the top, so is Buehrle.

fogie
02-01-2009, 03:26 PM
Dick Allen he was great

whitesox901
02-01-2009, 03:31 PM
Thomas, even before I got in to Sox baseball, and was just a baseball fan, I always liked Frank

thomas35forever
02-01-2009, 03:31 PM
Frank Thomas. My baseball idol growing up and just a flat out power-hitting machine. I'm glad he won a ring with the '05 team.

jabrch
02-01-2009, 03:45 PM
He wasn't the best - and in fact - he underperformed my expectations - but Bo Jackson is one of my favorites. He was a favorite of mine at Auburn as a RB. He was a favorite as a Raider. and when the Sox got him, I was thrilled.

soxstarter
02-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Since I became a baseball fan late in life, my favorites come from just before and during the 05 team. Konerko, Iguchi, Thomas, J.D. now Thome.....it is so hard to name just one. This team has just been amazing to watch them dance to victory together.

tony1972
02-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Frank Thomas..(there is no one even close I could mention for me)...

...Just a great hitter...seeing him come up to bat..even when the Sox were losing and people would stop and watch...

...Going to games from 91 to 94 with the Sox down 2 or 3 in the 8th or 9th innings and a man or two on base..and Thomas coming up and you knew the Sox had a good chance to tie or take the lead.

....probably as resonsible for the Sox resurgence in the early 90's as the new ballpark was..

I know he was a crybaby..and didn't have the greatest personality...but he's one of those players that WAS the White Sox in the 1990's/2000's for a while...

I went to the game in 2006 when he came back playing for the A's and he got the standing ovation..he hits the HR and gets another standing ovation..can you imagine how rare it is for an OPPOSING player to get an ovation after the hits a Home Run?

I think most born between 1970 and 1985 would probably say Frank Thomas..

Probably one of the biggest reasons I went from being a casual Sox fan to a die hard after 1990...

Rdy2PlayBall
02-01-2009, 09:45 PM
Sammy Sosa!!!! :bandance:

Haha, j/k, I hate that guy. xD My answer will definitely have to be Frank Thomas, but if Quentin stays on the Sox, he may creep in... But!, Frank was a beast and his stats for that 7 or 8 seasons in a row amazes me. @_@

BleacherBandit
02-01-2009, 10:54 PM
Since I'm a relatively young Sox fan, I guess Konerko is my favorite player. He is the captain after all. :cool:

A. Cavatica
02-01-2009, 11:31 PM
Those of you who listed Buehrle (and I'm a fan of his) should ask yourselves: would it be LaMarr Hoyt if he hadn't self-destructed?

sullythered
02-02-2009, 02:13 AM
Pudge. A couple reasons:

In the late eighties, my aunt, my uncle (brother and sister), and a few friends of theirs ran into Fisk in a bar/resturaunt. Fisk, in his usual fashion, declined to give an autograph to a kid that approached him requesting one. My aunt, a staunch Sox fan, walked over and railed into Pudge. She told him she would never cheer for him and so on and so forth. A few hours and several beers later, my uncle waked downstairs to hit the bathroom and caught my aunt making out with Fisk.

Many years later, my grandfather (the nicest dude to ever walk the earth) was in a hospital room awaiting transfer after one of his knee surgeries. There was a dude in the bed next to him. My grampa, not wearing his glasses, asked the guy to please hang up his pants for him. The dude complied. Afterwards my grampa mentioned that the dude was pretty big, and asked if he played football or something. At that point, the dude told my grampa that he was Carlton Fisk. My grampa put on his glasses and confirmed it. Grampa Tom told him that his grandson was a huge fan, and Fisk gave him several autographs and they talked baseball and other stuff untill he was ushered out. Fisk was as friendly a guy as could be expected.

Just because some people aren't built for fame, doesn't make them bad people. Pudge was nice to my grampa.

Go Pudge.

Sox
02-02-2009, 02:16 AM
I gotta go with Bill Melton, Dick Allen, Wilbur Wood, Jorge Orta, Chet Lemon, Ritchie Zisk, and Greg Luzinski. It's really hard for me to narrow it down to one Sox player. The biggest reason that I became a Sox fan was family tradition. :bandance:

sullythered
02-02-2009, 02:19 AM
Btw, Honorable mentions:

Hurt
Robin
Blackjack
Buehrls
Bobby

Falstaff
02-02-2009, 04:00 AM
I vote for Cy Acosta, honorable mention Jorge Orta

TheOzziePlan
02-02-2009, 06:42 AM
Ozzie Guillen.

I grew up with the early nineties White Sox, and my favorites were always Ozzie Guillen and Robin Ventura on the left side of the infield. I always liked the passion and flash that Ozzie brought to the team, as well as the respect Ventura had for the game. Had you asked me 10 years ago, I may have said Ventura, however after witnessing Ozzie's reign as manager I have to pick him(and I know I shouldn't take this into account because it doesn't involve his playing years and this is a "Favorite Player" thread, but I will anyway).

The Hurt as a close third. My first White Sox game without and adult accompanying me was Carlton Fisk's jersey retirement, so I have a spot on this list for him. Love Mark Buehrle and Joe Crede too, and unless I missed it I'm surprised to be the first one to mention Aaron Rowand.

OK so it was supposed to be one player, and I'll stick with Ozzie, but man I've got at least 10 other guys I want to mention.

Warriorjan
02-02-2009, 10:01 AM
All-time: Tommy John - for some reason, after Dick McAuliffe charged hiim on the mound in 68 and injured him, I became a huge fan, and he seemed like a nice guy and I loved watching him pitch. Runners-up: Carlton Fisk, that home opener where he hit the home run was the last I ever attended with my father, and he played the game the way it should be played, and Mark Buehrle, because he's Mark Buehrle (doesn't take himself too seriously, and love how he always catches the first pitch so he can meet the people throwing it)

ChiSoxFan81
02-02-2009, 10:32 AM
For me, Frank Thomas, no doubt. He came to the team just as I was at the age where I really started paying attention to baseball, and finally got to go to games. He was just awesome, and I was so happy that we got him a ring before he left. I was there in his 1st game back with the A's giving him a standing O after his HRs, and I'll be in Cooperstown when he's inducted.After Frank, I gotta go with Ventura, Fisk, and Paulie.

Jim Shorts
02-02-2009, 10:40 AM
Ozzie Guillen. Carlton is a very close second and Robin rounds out the medal stand.

Thome25
02-02-2009, 11:01 AM
It's too hard name just one because I too have been following the team for close to 20 years.

I have a list in no particular order:

Frank Thomas
Robin Ventura
Carlton Fisk (It still hurts that he's wearing a Red Sawx cap in the HOF.)
Paul Konerko
AJ Pierzynski
Jim Thome (one of the most feared left-handed hitters in his prime.)
Bo Jackson (the Sox signing him is what got me into baseball.)
Julio Franco (I was at a game in 1994 when him and Robin hit back-to-back HRs TWICE....I didn't know a kid on the playground who didn't imitate is batting stance at least a couple of times.)

Honorable mention: Even though his time here was short, I like Scotty Pods alot too. I liked the way he played and stole some bases. I'll never forget his game-winning HR in the WS either.

NLaloosh
02-02-2009, 11:16 AM
Frank Thomas.

No explanation necessary.

kitekrazy
02-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Frank Thomas.

Same here. What a hitter. It's rare for a guy to come out of the minors and make an impact so fast.

LITTLE NELL
02-02-2009, 11:55 AM
This thread has really made me feel old. As I posted earlier Nellie Fox was my all time favorite, and only 4 or 5 others picked members from the Go-Go era. Oh well, time marches on.

Whitesox029
02-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Being 21 years old, my favorite player was Rockin' Robin. I was about 11 and pretty much devastated when he got traded to the Mets. I met him when I was 8 or so at a skills camp on the field at Sox Park, and he was a top notch guy, as I'm sure he still is. In baseball in general he's one of the more underrated 3rd basemen ever, I think. Of course, his offensive numbers aren't nearly up to snuff for the Hall, but he should still get more credit than he does for his glove as well as for being a class act.

WhiteSox5187
02-02-2009, 12:05 PM
I knew from a very early age that I would never hit for power and that I would never be a very good hitter in general, but I figured I could steal a few bags and play some good defense, so I tried to be like Ozzie Guillen. As fate would have it, I wasn't very good a defense and not a good base stealer, but I could wear stirrups baby! So it's still Ozzie Guillen.

NLaloosh
02-02-2009, 12:11 PM
This thread has really made me feel old. As I posted earlier Nellie Fox was my all time favorite, and only 4 or 5 others picked members from the Go-Go era. Oh well, time marches on.

Don't feel quite so old. One of my favorite memories is watching Bee Bee Richard tag up from second base and score on a flyball to centerfield!

Too bad he couldn't hit. Man could he run the bases.

TheOzziePlan
02-02-2009, 12:49 PM
All this Robin Ventura talk makes me think of the time he got his ass beat by Nolan Ryan. That was hilarious.

wilburaga
02-02-2009, 01:10 PM
1) Nellie Fox: When I was a little fellow Nellie was the one closest to my size.

2) Wilbur Wood: Because God loves us southpaws.

3) Tommy John: See # 2 and add that when I enountered TJ on the NYC subway system after a game in the late 60's he was considerably nicer than he had to be to a star-eyed 15 year old.

W

WHILEPITCH
02-02-2009, 01:14 PM
the story about Nellie Fox and the tootsie roll feigning tobacco was great

Chrisaway
02-02-2009, 01:21 PM
Easy, Frank Thomas. Before him Baines and Fisk shared the mantle.

Nellie_Fox
02-02-2009, 02:07 PM
...Bee Bee Richard ... Too bad he couldn't hit.Or play defense.

WhiteSoxJunkie
02-03-2009, 01:14 PM
For me it's a tough choice between Thomas and Konerko. Frank Thomas was my favorite player growing up, and is a better overall hitter than Konerko is. But on the other hand, Konerko has been a solid team leader these past few years, and has never been a pain like Thomas was at times. And add in the fact that when he was a free agent after 05 he turned down a better deal with the Angels to resign with the Sox, and the classy move of giving the final out ball to Reinsdorf.

Thome25
02-03-2009, 01:35 PM
All this Robin Ventura talk makes me think of the time he got his ass beat by Nolan Ryan. That was hilarious.

No it wasn't. It was embarrassing that a good player like Ventura's career was overshadowed by something so stupid. Besides if the Texas catcher wasn't holding Ventura's arms back, it would've been a whole different ballgame.:angry::angry::angry:

Craig Grebeck
02-03-2009, 01:45 PM
No it wasn't. It was embarrassing that a good player like Ventura's career was overshadowed by something so stupid. Besides if the Texas catcher wasn't holding Ventura's arms back, it would've been a whole different ballgame.:angry::angry::angry:
Yeah, that's not what happened at all. Check the video.

Thome25
02-03-2009, 01:57 PM
Yeah, that's not what happened at all. Check the video.

Yeah you might be right. But, IMO I still think Nolan had the advantage because Ivan Rodriguez grabbed Ventura. I just watched the video, and even Hawk said that Rodriguez grabbed Robin and was insinuating that is what gave Ryan the advantage.

I remember vividly that I was listening to Rooney and Farmer on the radio that day.

With that said, Robin had a very good, above-average career and it's a shame that the moment with Nolan Ryan overshadows that all the time.

Even when I talk to baseball fans here on the east coast, when Robin Ventura's name comes up the first thing they bring up is the fight with Nolan Ryan.

I don't think it was hilarious at all, like the previous poster wrote.

esbrechtel
02-03-2009, 02:00 PM
I remember being heart broken to see my hero get beat up...I believe I was like 9 or 10 at the time...

Nellie_Fox
02-03-2009, 02:31 PM
I remember hearing Robin say that he got 3/4 of the way to the mound and thought, "what am I doing; I don't want to fight." So, he didn't fight, just grabbed Ryan and hung on.

Madscout
02-03-2009, 02:49 PM
Brian Anderson

Seriously, Frank Thomas. I am a Sox fan because of him. Otherwise, I would be with the rest of my family and root for the Cubs. Thank god for Frank!

ChicagoHoosier
02-04-2009, 09:23 AM
Burls.

Frank Thomas was awesome, but I moved here and slowly became a fan after 1994. I only experienced most of Frank's bitterness with a few great years in there, but I wasn't a fan when he was at his greatest.

soxfandoug
02-05-2009, 01:13 AM
Frank Thomas is the reason I'm a White Sox fan. His fan friendliness, willingness to sign autographs, and freak of nature offensive skills were HUGE to this very impressionable 13 year old Southern California kid in 1991.

After the Big Hurt it would be Robin Ventura, Steve Sax (growing up in SoCal, my mom was in love with her "Sexy Saxy lmao), Tim Raines, Jack McDowell, Jason Bere, Mark Buehrle, Joe Crede, and John Danks.

SOXfnNlansing
02-05-2009, 01:52 AM
When I was young, back in the early 90's, I was working at a hospital as a security guard after I got out of the Army. I worked 2-10pm. I would make my way to the empty doctor's lounge around 7pm and after to watch every Frank Thomas at bat. He's the only player I've ever known of or cared to know to where I'd drop whatever I was doing to watch a simple at bat.

I know there were many like him before my time, but in the tv era, he has to be the most important player (White Sox favorite) for me.

Konerko05
02-05-2009, 02:53 AM

Oh come on, it was pretty funny. Robin Ventura was my favorite player, but Nolan Ryan happened to be my favorite non White Sox player. I still have about 200 Nolan Ryan baseball cards.

My Dad, who was a Cubs fan, had a pretty good time with it though. He would always remind me of old man Nolan Ryan giving "noogies" to my favorite player. I just had to laugh at the situation.

Hey, at least Robin somewhat stood up for himself against Ryan. Most players just took it.

Nellie_Fox
02-05-2009, 11:32 AM
...watch every Frank Thomas at bat. He's the only player I've ever known of or cared to know to where I'd drop whatever I was doing to watch a simple at bat. While Nellie is my all-time favorite, Frank was my favorite of that era, and this was my reaction to him as well. I'd always stop whatever I was doing to watch every second of his at bats.

MeteorsSox4367
02-05-2009, 11:57 AM
I'll start with Tom Egan, Ed Herrmann and Bill Melton because they were my first favorites as a kid just getting into baseball as the son and grandson of Sox fans.

In high school, it was Walker, Kittle and Britt Burns. I worked at Comiskey for two years in high school and was able to get some autographs from these guys that I still have. I especially liked Walker because he was a first baseman who batted lefty and threw righty like me.

I always thought Ventura was a helluva player and also a really good guy. I was able to meet him once and was left with the impression that he was just a quality human being.

My favorites now would be Pierzynski and Buehrle. I like Pierzynski because he's a catcher, I love the picture from the Dodgers game when he hit the game-winning HR and like me, he's a Polack. Pierzynski is a gamer, he loves to win and he's a pain in the ass. But he's OUR pain in the ass.

As for Buehrle, I like the fact that he pitches with his head as well as his arm. In addition, I also met him once and like Ventura, he left me with the impression that he's a really good man.

soxinem1
02-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Yeah you might be right. But, IMO I still think Nolan had the advantage because Ivan Rodriguez grabbed Ventura. I just watched the video, and even Hawk said that Rodriguez grabbed Robin and was insinuating that is what gave Ryan the advantage.

I remember vividly that I was listening to Rooney and Farmer on the radio that day.

With that said, Robin had a very good, above-average career and it's a shame that the moment with Nolan Ryan overshadows that all the time.

Even when I talk to baseball fans here on the east coast, when Robin Ventura's name comes up the first thing they bring up is the fight with Nolan Ryan.

I watched that game. Ryan has tree trunks for legs and Robin would not have had a chance even if he carried a live chainsaw.

But the issue I had was why Ventura was tossed and Ryan allowed to stay in the game? I've seen many a hitter charge the mound, and if the pitcher responded he gets tossed too.

But to the topic of the thread, Frank, Baines, Fisk, Richard Dotson (pre-1984 ASB), and Britt Burns are in my top five.

salty99
02-05-2009, 11:58 AM
Frank Thomas

Current - Buehrle

New favorite - Alexei after seeing how genuine and personable he is at Soxfest

RIPcalderon
02-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Harold Baines is my all-time favorite. The man was a model of consistency for so long. He did it all with hard work and class. Throw back player that I hope makes the hall of fame.

Carolina Kenny
02-05-2009, 01:13 PM
My favorite player was Paco Martin. A long line of famous Paco's including the guy that the Mexican leader shot off the roof in 3 Amigos.

30DaysintheHole
02-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Gotta be Ralph Garr. Completely unpredictable. I remember a pitch bounced on the ground before it crossed the plate - he took a swing. I asked my dad if that was allowed. Since he missed, it was just a regular strike.

That makes an impression (albeit an odd one) on a young kid. He was perfect for the Bill Veeck era.

longtimesoxguy
02-06-2009, 12:37 PM
Gotta be Ralph Garr. Completely unpredictable. I remember a pitch bounced on the ground before it crossed the plate - he took a swing. I asked my dad if that was allowed. Since he missed, it was just a regular strike.

That makes an impression (albeit an odd one) on a young kid. He was perfect for the Bill Veeck era.
I remember the ROADRUNNER!!! BEEP BEEP

Chez
02-06-2009, 12:42 PM
My all-time favorite is Dick Allen. In 1972, I was 13 years old and had just sworn off the Cubs after the 1970 season. The '71 Sox team was pretty mediocre and, at the time, I was contemplating going back to the dark (North) side. Allen changed all of that. He was just a tremendous player in 1972 -- I've never seen a player scald so many line drives over the course of a season. Allen was a rock star. More than any other player, he's responsible for making me a die hard White Sox fan.

Honorable mentions to Jack McDowell, Robin Ventura, Chet Lemon and Brian Downing.

Jenks4Prez
02-06-2009, 03:05 PM
Scotty Pods

Why?

His wife

RCWHITESOX
02-06-2009, 04:03 PM

My Favorite would be a tie between Aparicio and Fox. To me they were the heart and soul of the 59 Sox. I was just a squirt at the time but I will never forget the go go White Sox. Tied for 3rd would be W Wood, B Pierce, S Lollar, J Landis, K Berry, P Ward, M Hershberger, H Score and the Mayor B Melton.

bigcobra
02-07-2009, 09:52 AM
ventura cuz when i was little i loved watching him gun people down at first. plus he hit grand slams a lot.

Shoeless
02-07-2009, 10:46 AM
Robin Ventura. When he was good, he was amazing. Joe Crede a close second.

Nellie_Fox
02-08-2009, 12:15 AM
ventura cuz when i was little i loved watching him gun people down at first. plus he hit grand slams a lot.The shift key is your friend.

Rounding_Third
02-08-2009, 08:40 AM
J.D. Just like Baines, he does his job humbly, professionally, and efficiently. He's had so many clutch RBI's in his relatively short Sox career. Unlike Thomas, he came through when it counted most. He's the only Sox WS MVP in our lifetimes; maybe ever. That being said, I hope he still has it. I'm a bit concerned with his decline in the 2nd half of last year.

rwcescato
02-08-2009, 09:09 AM
That easy for me Robin Ventura. He was a fine quality player. I played 3rd he played 3rd. I played good defense he played great defense. I batted lefy and he batted lefty. What more could I ask for in someone to look up to. What a great player he was.:)

EndemicSox
02-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Frank Thomas.

No explanation necessary.
:gulp:

tstrike2000
02-08-2009, 01:50 PM
Like many have said, my favorite as well is Frank Thomas. Baines was my favorite when I started watching Sox baseball in 1981. Like someone said though Big Hurt help put the Sox back on a national level and he was the leader of the '93 and '00 division champion teams. One could also argue that even though he only batted .219 12 and 26 in limited playing time in '05, that without him in the lineup we may lose that division lead to Cleveland.

october23sp
02-08-2009, 01:55 PM
Frank Thomas.

Came this close to catching a home run of his at the Hump Dump. The next day he was taking BP and I caught a ball of his so that made up for it.

Jurr
02-08-2009, 02:12 PM
I've been a Sox fan since I knew what baseball was, but as I've grown older I have felt more of a connection to the later generation of Sox players. I guess it's due to having the funds to catch every game, whether it's on TV making it out to USCF. That said, I've gotta go with Buehrle.

The guy is a no nonsense pitcher that keeps games interesting. He has always been solid, even in spot duty early in his career. He was instrumental in getting the Sox a WS ring, which elevates him even higher in my heart. The fact that he's a fellow lefty never hurts, either!

Frank Thomas was Sox baseball since I was 11 years old, but Buehrle has been that constant force for the Sox for a while now.

300bowler
02-09-2009, 04:25 PM
It's been a horrible winter weather-wise in my book, and we're still a couple weeks before pitchers and catchers report to the Arizona sun. I thought I'd start a thread where all posters could post their favorite Sox player of all time, as well as discuss why that player is your favorite. Just some nice off-season chatter...As the thread starter, I'll go first:

Robin Ventura played the game the way it was meant to be played. I liked the way Joe Crede played defensively; but, Ventura was the best defensive infielder I've ever seen during my time following this team (which has been 2 decades). He was truly had a glove of steel, and he truly deserved his multiple Golden Gloves. Not only were his defensive abilities above normal, but he had an above-average bat that produced many memorable moments...hitting grand slams in back-to-back innings against Texas easily comes to mind, as well as many firework-producing moments.

I liked Frank Thomas, Carlos Lee, Wilson Alvarez, Carlton Fisk, Black Jack McDowell, and I like Paul Konerko; but, a very special part of my heart is reserved for Robin "Hot Corner" Ventura. I hope to have the pleasure of meeting him sometime in my life.

My favorite has to be Carlton Fisk. He played the game like it's supposed to be played:gulp:

RF/DH#3
02-12-2009, 06:07 PM
That's an EASY Question, Harold Baines Of Coarse!! then I'd have to go with the BIG HURT Frank Thomas then the third guy is a VERY distant from these TWO on MY LIST...

turners56
02-12-2009, 06:09 PM
Mine has changed over the years. At first, it was probably Magglio. After he left, it was probably Buehrle. Then TCQ came onto the scene last year and I'm pretty sure he's my favorite now. Thing is though, I don't play favorites all that much.

gosox55
02-12-2009, 08:37 PM
Nellie Fox, has been ever since I was 11 in 1955. Why? Saw him play and was hooked. I can see the appeal of Frank Thomas however, as well as Harold Baines.

MetroPD
02-13-2009, 12:50 AM
Lamarr Hoyt - First game I ever went to he was starting on the bump. Too bad he became the first Dwight Gooden.

drewcifer
02-13-2009, 01:02 AM
Robin Ventura.

Laid back dude, awesome contributor defensively and offensively, and he tried to fight Nolan of all people, because he got old school on him.

Last person I saw play real baseball in Chicago.

I love that guy.