PDA

View Full Version : New Boston

Daver
05-24-2002, 01:21 PM

Q: Could Keith Foulke possibly be the answer to the Chicago White Sox search for another starting pitcher? Even though Foulke has been one of the best closers in baseball the past few years, he could make the conversion to starter over the course of the next month. Not being a power pitcher, his arm would have an easier time making the adaptation physically. -- Brian Godish, Carol Stream, Ill.
PWG -- Very perceptive. Foulke could start, but he's so good at what he presently does that it won't happen. Anyway, Jon Garland is coming, and he has the stuff to be a top-of-the-rotation starter. He and Dan Wright have made me believe that the White Sox are assembling the staff to win the AL Central and be a serious threat in the playoffs.

FarWestChicago
05-24-2002, 01:34 PM
We are doomed!!!

bjmarte
05-24-2002, 01:37 PM
Proof that aliens have invaded the earth and taking control of human minds.

Soxheads
05-24-2002, 03:03 PM
Wasn't Foulke a starter to begin with?

Jerry_Manuel
05-24-2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Soxheads
Wasn't Foulke a starter to begin with?

With the Giants, yes. He was a starter when the WF trade went down.

Soxheads
05-24-2002, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

With the Giants, yes. He was a starter when the WF trade went down.

When did he become relief?

Jerry_Manuel
05-24-2002, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Soxheads
When did he become relief?

Perhaps Randar or Vic know the answer to this. I think he went into relief work when the Sox acquired him. However, I might be off on that.

WinningUgly!
05-24-2002, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by daver
Jon Garland is coming, and he has the stuff to be a top-of-the-rotation starter. He and Dan Wright have made me believe that the White Sox are assembling the staff to win the AL Central and be a serious threat in the playoffs.

Funny what taking 2 outta 3 against Pete's BoSox will do. :D:

MattSharp
05-24-2002, 04:45 PM
Last I had heard, like a couple years ago Foulke had said he wanted to be a starter again. And that he at one point had said that when his contract expired if the Sox weren't gonna make him a starter he was gonna go elsewhere. This was a while ago and I only heard it once so it may have been BS, but whatever.......

Jerry_Manuel
05-24-2002, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
Last I had heard, like a couple years ago Foulke had said he wanted to be a starter again. And that he at one point had said that when his contract expired if the Sox weren't gonna make him a starter he was gonna go elsewhere. This was a while ago and I only heard it once so it may have been BS, but whatever.......

Foulke was on North's old tv show during 2000, and he told North that he would like to start again. North asked him how long it would take to get his arm strength back to starting levels and he said a year.

RedPinStripes
05-24-2002, 05:47 PM
Am i one of the few that think Keith would be a horrible strter? He has a good changeup and a fastball that is only as good as his change. That hanger he calls a curve just don't cut it.

Keep him in the pen.

:boston
He beat the RedSox when they had the winning run at the plate. He's god!

Soxheads
05-24-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Am i one of the few that think Keith would be a horrible strter? He has a good changeup and a fastball that is only as good as his change. That hanger he calls a curve just don't cut it.

Keep him in the pen.

I think so too. He's been relieving for too long.

WinningUgly!
05-24-2002, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

Keep him in the pen.

I have to agree. Foulke would get hammered if guys got to face him & see his stuff a few times through the lineup. I think all the talk about KF wanting to start, had a lot to do with him sharing the closer duties with Howry at that time. He's one of the elite closers in the game now, & can make some serious money in that role.

Daver
05-24-2002, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

I have to agree. Foulke would get hammered if guys got to face him & see his stuff a few times through the lineup. I think all the talk about KF wanting to start, had a lot to do with him sharing the closer duties with Howry at that time. He's one of the elite closers in the game now, & can make some serious money in that role.

He's a two pitch pitcher that isn't worth what he makes now.

doctor30th
05-24-2002, 10:24 PM
Yeah, I though Derek Lowe was going to suck as a starter too. But he's proving me wrong so far.