PDA

View Full Version : Clayton Richard

Milkman43
01-30-2009, 04:34 PM
Is it just me, or is anyone else really excited about Clayton Richard. He's kind of flown under the radar this winter but I think he's a great athlete and has a deceiving arm-motion. While his numbers last year weren't great, he pitched some big games where he only got hurt in one inning (usually after an error by OC). I have some high hopes for him this year.

doublem23
01-30-2009, 04:36 PM
I think he'd make an excellent bullpen arm. The prospect of the Sox counting on Clayton to throw 180+ innings this year makes me cry on the inside.

Daver
01-30-2009, 04:37 PM
I think he'd make an excellent bullpen arm. The prospect of the Sox counting on Clayton to throw 180+ innings this year makes me cry on the inside.

Wait till you see the outfield, Quentin in right, Wise in center, and Dye in right, they could well set a record for giving extra bases away.

guillensdisciple
01-30-2009, 04:39 PM
I am excited as well, I really like what I saw from him towards the end of the year, so I am very optimistic about him as our fifth starter or bullpen extraordinaire.

Milkman43
01-30-2009, 04:39 PM
Wait till you see the outfield, Quentin in right, Wise in center, and Dye in right, they could well set a record for giving extra bases away.

Good point. We'll definitely be slow to the gaps. I'd rather see Jerry Owens in center than DW though.

doublem23
01-30-2009, 04:40 PM

I have nightmares about watching that outfield trying to patrol a place like Comerica. The Cell, though, really isn't that big, so I don't think you need blazing speed all over the place to cover it adequately.

Noneck
01-30-2009, 04:41 PM
The prospect of the Sox counting on Clayton to throw 180+ innings this year makes me cry on the inside.

I cry even harder when I don't see anyone on the staff except Buehrle, Danks and Floyd that can throw 180+ innings.

Sell Jerry Sell!
01-30-2009, 04:52 PM

I guess we don't have a left fielder???

Noneck
01-30-2009, 04:57 PM

Nope, Left field is out this year. Next year, Right field is out. No discriminating against righties and leftys.

LoveYourSuit
01-30-2009, 04:58 PM

I know your stand on defense and the importance of it, but plenty of championships have been won with very suspect gloves in the OF.

Look no further than the 2005 White Sox or any OF involving Manny Ramrirez on it.

That said, I do think our OF defense will suck this year if Owens/Wise patrol CF.

You put Anderson there, that changes things by a wide margin.

spawn
01-30-2009, 05:02 PM

Nope, Left field is out this year. Next year, Right field is out. No discriminating against righties and leftys.
I was going to say that if Quentin and Dye are both in right, we're going to have some major issues.

DumpJerry
01-30-2009, 05:02 PM
Budget cuts.

thedudeabides
01-30-2009, 05:07 PM

That's why there'll be a record for number of extra base hits given up. :D:

Lip Man 1
01-30-2009, 05:20 PM
Double's original post expresses my feeling as well with him.

Lip

Konerko05
01-30-2009, 05:24 PM
The outfield defense will be pretty bad, but I am more worried about the infield defense.

veeter
01-30-2009, 05:28 PM
Double's original post expresses my feeling as well with him.

LipMe too. Between Richard, Colon and Marquez they're hoping for and asking a lot.

JB98
01-30-2009, 05:33 PM
I really think Richard would be excellent in the swing role --- spot starter, long reliever, second lefty in the bullpen.

Unfortunately, I think he's going to be counted upon to do more.

Hagan
01-30-2009, 05:38 PM
All of you were concerned last year about the potential of Danks and Floyd throwing 180+ innings. Stop worrying for 3 minutes and just let the guys play.

doublem23
01-30-2009, 05:45 PM
All of you were concerned last year about the potential of Danks and Floyd throwing 180+ innings. Stop worrying for 3 minutes and just let the guys play.

I wasn't.

:dunno:

There is no comparison between Floyd and Danks and the crap we're counting on now. Floyd and Danks were both first round draft picks and were, at one time, the crown jewel of their former team's minor league organization. They were legitimate top pitching prospects that just hadn't proven their worth at the Major League level yet. Richard, Marquez, Broadway, and even Poreda are not in their league. There are prospects, and then there are prospects. Floyd and Danks were the latter, the Little 4 are the former.

white sox bill

OK no left fielder but we have the left handed pull hitters pretty well covered.

veeter
The outfield defense will be pretty bad, but I am more worried about the infield defense.Wow. Don't be so down. This is going to be a weird year. The Sox could very well contend, or be ten games behind Cleveland by the break. Kenny's comments about the economy aren't excuses, they're reality. But if attendance is good, and the Sox hang around, additions will be made. I'm sure of it. I really look to 2010 as a major re-loading year. The players that fight and show character this season, will be part of that change. Look for Viciedo to be the Quentin of 2010, if not sooner.

JB98
01-30-2009, 05:57 PM
I wasn't.

:dunno:

There is no comparison between Floyd and Danks and the crap we're counting on now. Floyd and Danks were both first round draft picks and were, at one time, the crown jewel of their former team's minor league organization. They were legitimate top pitching prospects that just hadn't proven their worth at the Major League level yet. Richard, Marquez, Broadway, and even Poreda are not in their league. There are prospects, and then there are prospects. Floyd and Danks were the latter, the Little 4 are the former.

Yeah, I had tremendous faith in Danks. I knew he would step up for us. I have to admit I didn't have great confidence in Floyd, but he proved me wrong. And as you indicate, Floyd was highly-regarded when he was drafted. The lightbulb came on, and hopefully it stays on.

I really see Richard and Poreda as relievers. I've never seen Marquez throw the ball. Thus, I have no opinion. I think Broadway is a bust.

doublem23
01-30-2009, 05:59 PM
I really see Richard and Poreda as relievers. I've never seen Marquez throw the ball. Thus, I have no opinion. I think Broadway is a bust.

I'm basing my opinion of Marquez off the fact that the Yankees' starting pitching the last few years has been downright terrible and they still never gave the guy a look. I can't give you a detailed description of what he throws, but if you can't jump Kei Igawa on the depth chart, forget it.

Rdy2PlayBall
01-30-2009, 06:25 PM
I really see Richard and Poreda as relievers. I've never seen Marquez throw the ball. Thus, I have no opinion. I think Broadway is a bust.Broadway did good as a starter though, I think he is just not into the bullpen all that much. :?:

LoveYourSuit
01-30-2009, 06:32 PM
Broadway did good as a starter though, I think he is just not into the bullpen all that much. :?:

By evidence of 2 spot starts vs the KC Royals?

Konerko05
01-30-2009, 06:50 PM
Wow. Don't be so down. This is going to be a weird year. The Sox could very well contend, or be ten games behind Cleveland by the break. Kenny's comments about the economy aren't excuses, they're reality. But if attendance is good, and the Sox hang around, additions will be made. I'm sure of it. I really look to 2010 as a major re-loading year. The players that fight and show character this season, will be part of that change. Look for Viciedo to be the Quentin of 2010, if not sooner.

I didn't mean to be that down. I'm not ruling out the infield defense performing at a decent level. I'm just saying Fields has been pretty brutal defensively, Ramirez has never played SS in the MLB for an extended period of time, and Getz/Lillibridge are both rookies at 2B. I think concerns about the infield defense are legitimate. Although Ramirez/Lillibridge is an intriguing double play combo.

I'm praying Anderson somehow convinces Guillen to give him the CF job. This team needs his defense badly.

Konerko05
01-30-2009, 06:55 PM
Broadway did good as a starter though, I think he is just not into the bullpen all that much. :?:

Broadway is awful. The guy has nothing. Even his offspeed stuff in 2008 looked bad. A straight 88 mph fastball isn't going to fool many hitters.

His breaking stuff in 2007 was pretty good. I'm not sure what happened.

JB98
01-30-2009, 06:59 PM

He made a couple decent starts against the Royals, but I'm not impressed with his stuff or his triple-A numbers.

Lip Man 1
01-30-2009, 08:33 PM
Double:

Well said again.

Lip

thedudeabides
01-30-2009, 09:31 PM
I'm basing my opinion of Marquez off the fact that the Yankees' starting pitching the last few years has been downright terrible and they still never gave the guy a look. I can't give you a detailed description of what he throws, but if you can't jump Kei Igawa on the depth chart, forget it.

Marquez had some injury trouble last year, but he was a top prospect with the Yankees prior to that. He's one of the guys I'm very intrigued to see in spring training, as I've never seen him pitch. Kenny seems to be very high on him and he's been pretty good at spotting young pitching lately.

Tragg
01-30-2009, 09:43 PM
I thought Richard showed a lot of potential last year. He seemed to only be able to last 4 or so innings, which suggests relief...but that was first year.
I look forward to seeing how he does this year.

Noneck
01-30-2009, 09:53 PM
Kenny seems to be very high on him
Has he ever been not high on someone right after he makes an acquisition?

01-30-2009, 11:12 PM
Double:

Well said again.

Lip

Why is Kenny not consulting with Double before he makes these idiotic trades?? Ugh. :thud:

doublem23
02-02-2009, 09:39 AM
Why is Kenny not consulting with Double before he makes these idiotic trades?? Ugh. :thud:

That's what I've been saying for the past few years. :cool:

Domeshot17
02-02-2009, 09:48 AM
agreed with Double and Lip. Richard can be a great 2nd lefty in the bullpen or a mediocre 5th sp. His best games (especially vs TB in relief) came against lefty heavy lineups. He is tough on lefties with his stuff, why not put him in a position he may flourish in.

doublem23
02-02-2009, 09:50 AM
agreed with Double and Lip. Richard can be a great 2nd lefty in the bullpen or a mediocre 5th sp. His best games (especially vs TB in relief) came against lefty heavy lineups. He is tough on lefties with his stuff, why not put him in a position he may flourish in.

As great as his Game 1 performance against TB was, let's not forget that the Rays were then 2nd worst offense in the American League against lefties in 2008.

jabrch
02-02-2009, 10:04 AM
We will definitely be rolling the dice with someone in the back o the rotation. I just can't tell you that I am smart enough to tell you how the dice will fall.