PDA

View Full Version : Cubs Attendance is apparently 10 million +


Procol Harum
05-24-2002, 12:53 PM
Last night Tommy Williams was going into the usual Score screed about Sox fans having no business complaining about media coverage because we don't support our team and all that tired old bs. This was in response to complaints about 6 pages of coverage of Prior-mania compared to the usual one page of Sox coverage after Garland's great outing against Boston and our move back into first. Imagine my surprise--I had never known that the Cubs were averaging over 130,000 fans per game and over 10.5 million a year--that would be about the right ratio for figuring the attendance and media coverage ratio for the Thursday morning Trib in T Dub's universe. What a crock.

And then later, in true T Dub fashion he later contradicted himself and stated how he could understand why Sox fans were cheesed off about the imbalance in media coverage....

I am amazed how this "no attendance" thing took on such a life of its own within the last 3-4 years. It has become the very essence of Scrub fan orthodoxy and the only shard of an argument that is constantly flung back at Sox fans despite the fact that the Sox continue to outperform their darling cellar-dwellers. Ironically, ya have to wonder if JR and KW hadn't been harping on this very thing if this would ever have become such a bone of contention. Shooting themselves in the foot has become something of standard operational procedure in Sox management as we well know.

cheeses_h_rice
05-24-2002, 01:12 PM
I'd rather the Sox get a robust 30,000 a game, but really, step back a bit and think: why does it matter in the slightest how many people are sitting there watching the play on the field? Does it affect what happens between the lines?

But then again, if you go to a ballpark for "the experience," I can see why attendance matters so much to you. After all, you wouldn't want to maybe be an individual and experience something just for the play on the field -- you want to make sure that 35,000 other nimrods justify your bad taste in baseball teams.

duke of dorwood
05-24-2002, 01:22 PM
It's amazing that anyone listens to Williams and can understand that babbling.

Iwritecode
05-24-2002, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
I'd rather the Sox get a robust 30,000 a game, but really, step back a bit and think: why does it matter in the slightest how many people are sitting there watching the play on the field? Does it affect what happens between the lines?

But then again, if you go to a ballpark for "the experience," I can see why attendance matters so much to you. After all, you wouldn't want to maybe be an individual and experience something just for the play on the field -- you want to make sure that 35,000 other nimrods justify your bad taste in baseball teams.

Well, according to JR and KW the attendance directly affects the play on the field. Or at least the quality of the players they say they can afford to put on the field. I just wish the attendance was better so they could quit using that as an excuse when the time comes to get a quality player. If it looks like the Sox need another pitcher around the trading deadline I want to know that they will go out and get one without using the "we can't afford the payroll we have now" excuse.

cheeses_h_rice
05-24-2002, 02:57 PM
IWC, I know about the monetary implications of lower attendance for the Sox, but I really doubt the Flubbie trolls who constantly bring up the attendance issue are approaching the issue from that vantage point. They bring it up because, in their pee-brained minds, attendance somehow translates to the quality of the ballclub. And it doesn't, obviously, or else the Flubbies would be celebrating World Series titles every year.

In fact, attendance should be the issue that Sox fans could galvanize behind -- after all, look at what this ballclub does with much FEWER resources than the Flubs. The Flubs should definitely be better than they are; they have such a huge financial advantage over the Sox. It says a lot about that pathetic excuse for a franchise up north.

gosox100
05-24-2002, 03:16 PM
:angry:

Ok people, I like you am a huge devoted fan of our beloved white sox.....but would you all please grow up and come to the realizationthat it is NOT anyones fault but yours.

There is no excuse for the attendence! It is our fault solely that the attendence is crappy. Not jr or kenny or anyone else in the front office. If you truely belive that, your a 10 year old whiney brat. We have a great team, possibly one of the most entertaining clubs in ball. A fantastic park in my opinion, (love the renovations) and a strong loyalty (at least verbally) towards this team. I have been to 9 home games so far and am trying my hardest to see more, its cheap and its a lot better than talking on this message board. So get up off you ass and go see the game----GIVE MONEY TO THIS CLUB! stop whining about Kenny Williams, it's not like any of you would say anything to his face anyway. Hes doing his job.

Peace out----shamefully

Procol Harum
05-24-2002, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
IWC, I know about the monetary implications of lower attendance for the Sox, but I really doubt the Flubbie trolls who constantly bring up the attendance issue are approaching the issue from that vantage point. They bring it up because, in their pee-brained minds, attendance somehow translates to the quality of the ballclub. And it doesn't, obviously, or else the Flubbies would be celebrating World Series titles every year.


That's an interesting angle. I think another aspect of it is just the 'I'm better than you are nyaah-nyaah' mindset--this is a way to "prove" that they're better than Sox fans who are always pointing out the obvious--that the Flubs smell and given all their financial resources (and their attendance) should have been in the thick of the World Series hunt for the last 15 years.

While we're on the attendance shtick, here's an interesting exercise for all of you Sox fans out in the 'burbs )--next time you're in a room full of Flub fans and they're ragging on Sox attendance, ask them how many Cub games they've been to thus far this year? Last year? Everytime I've tried this little parlor game I and fellow Sox fans have inevitably been to more games than our Flub counterparts--Who's the better fan, now?

I'm thinking the major difference in attendance is attributable to 4 factors: 1.) The biggest difference is the fact that the yuppified single and affluent couples living in the neighborhoods within a couple of miles around Wrigley pour a lot of people into the park on a daily basis; 2.) Because of media publicity and the long-string of tragic Sox marketing blunders over the last 30+ years the casual out-of-town turistas look upon Wrigley as a "must-do" when in Chicago; 3.) The Flubs have had a long-standing following in the rural environs of Northern and Central Illinois, Iowa and Southwestern Wisconsin--we're all familiar through the years with the busloads of Rotarians from Davenport and church youth groups from Dixon (in fact, I actually give these sorts of folks credit for being among the forefront of people you could actually single out as the atypical non-idiot, "die-hard" Cub fans); 4.) Finally, of course, the strength of the Cubs among casual and non-baseball fans in the Chicago area. Put all those constituencies together with Sox management and PR disasters among their own fan base and you've got a solid edge for the Flubs.

FarWestChicago
05-24-2002, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by gosox100
:angry:

Ok people, I like you am a huge devoted fan of our beloved white sox.....but would you all please grow up and come to the realizationthat it is NOT anyones fault but yours.

There is no excuse for the attendence! It is our fault solely that the attendence is crappy. Not jr or kenny or anyone else in the front office. If you truely belive that, your a 10 year old whiney brat. We have a great team, possibly one of the most entertaining clubs in ball. A fantastic park in my opinion, (love the renovations) and a strong loyalty (at least verbally) towards this team. I have been to 9 home games so far and am trying my hardest to see more, its cheap and its a lot better than talking on this message board. So get up off you ass and go see the game----GIVE MONEY TO THIS CLUB! stop whining about Kenny Williams, it's not like any of you would say anything to his face anyway. Hes doing his job.

Peace out----shamefully :whoflungpoo

cheeses_h_rice
05-24-2002, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by gosox100
:angry:

Ok people, I like you am a huge devoted fan of our beloved white sox.....but would you all please grow up and come to the realizationthat it is NOT anyones fault but yours.

There is no excuse for the attendence! It is our fault solely that the attendence is crappy. Not jr or kenny or anyone else in the front office. If you truely belive that, your a 10 year old whiney brat. We have a great team, possibly one of the most entertaining clubs in ball. A fantastic park in my opinion, (love the renovations) and a strong loyalty (at least verbally) towards this team. I have been to 9 home games so far and am trying my hardest to see more, its cheap and its a lot better than talking on this message board. So get up off you ass and go see the game----GIVE MONEY TO THIS CLUB! stop whining about Kenny Williams, it's not like any of you would say anything to his face anyway. Hes doing his job.

Peace out----shamefully

:troll

Gee, idiot, can't people post on this message board AND go to games? What makes the two mutually exclusive?

"Peace out," dude.

Randar68
05-24-2002, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by gosox100
stop whining about Kenny Williams, it's not like any of you would say anything to his face anyway. Hes doing his job.

I wouldn't? Is this assumption because you know me? I would tell him exactly how I feel given the opportunity.

Don't assume nobody else has any onions simply because you don't....

Soxheads
05-24-2002, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
:whoflungpoo


LOL. I kind of wonder how it's my fault when I have noway to get to a Sox game without hitchiking. Ah, the perils of being a 14 year old Sox fan.

gosox100
05-24-2002, 03:55 PM
hey snapperheads---!

I'm not saying it's directly everyones fault here that the sox are going down the tubes on attendence......however, when the team is showing a serious run at the playoffs, the last thing I want to consistant ly see is "low attendence" headlines. I know the scrubs commentators, journalist, and fans are behind alot of it but, who cares!..

It just bugs me to hear people constantly whining about "kenny stinks, get a pitcher, wa wa wa" Go to the games!

I want to see the team gain some fan base, this is nuts! Stop whineing start buying tickets! please.

At the risk of sounding immature like my friends who post the falling pooh signs after my reply, I will say this.....

I seriously pondered replying, concidering the talking in pertains to pooh falling and mindless zings.....offer me 5 good reasons why there is no attendence at the park and I will rebut, if not, i'm right and hopefully you'll goto the games, oh and the child who has no car can take the f***ing bus! I did.

Randar68
05-24-2002, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by gosox100
At the risk of sounding immature

Little late for that now, heh?

cheeses_h_rice
05-24-2002, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by gosox100
hey snapperheads---!

I'm not saying it's directly everyones fault here that the sox are going down the tubes on attendence......however, when the team is showing a serious run at the playoffs, the last thing I want to consistant ly see is "low attendence" headlines. I know the scrubs commentators, journalist, and fans are behind alot of it but, who cares!..

It just bugs me to hear people constantly whining about "kenny stinks, get a pitcher, wa wa wa" Go to the games!

I want to see the team gain some fan base, this is nuts! Stop whineing start buying tickets! please.

At the risk of sounding immature like my friends who post the falling pooh signs after my reply, I will say this.....

I seriously pondered replying, concidering the talking in pertains to pooh falling and mindless zings.....offer me 5 good reasons why there is no attendence at the park and I will rebut, if not, i'm right and hopefully you'll goto the games, oh and the child who has no car can take the f***ing bus! I did.

:whoflungpoo

:troll

:crossdresser

Soxheads
05-24-2002, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by gosox100
oh and the child who has no car can take the f***ing bus! I did.

Nice. I have no reponse for this. I won't lower myself to that.

gosox100
05-24-2002, 04:00 PM
I wouldn't? Is this assumption because you know me? I would tell him exactly how I feel given the opportunity.

Don't assume nobody else has any onions simply because you don't....



No you wouldn't, and I don't have onions, if you do, thats cool too. Now go home and take your crazy pills.


peace out "bra" :D:

cheeses_h_rice
05-24-2002, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by gosox100

No you wouldn't, and I don't have onions, if you do, thats cool too. Now go home and take your crazy pills.


peace out "bra" :D:

:whoflungpoo

:troll

:crossdresser

Randar68
05-24-2002, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by gosox100
No you wouldn't, and I don't have onions,

LMAO! get a life, dude, what makes KW so god-like that someone wouldn't tell him what's on their mind. He doesn't sign my paycheck and he has no recourse. Sorry that your puss hurts so badly that you came here to cry about it, but you're preachin' to the choir.

FWC, how long we gonna put up with the :troll???????

Jerry_Manuel
05-24-2002, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
I wouldn't? Is this assumption because you know me? I would tell him exactly how I feel given the opportunity.


A quick not so funny story, if you will. I'm working the WSI booth at SoxFest with PHG, and Hate, when I spot Williams walking down our aisle. I mention to George that we should try and get him over to the booth, I believe George yells "Hey Kenny, are you totally biased?" and he looks over and laughs.

This had nothing to do with the thread, but thanks for reading.

Daver
05-24-2002, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Randar68


LMAO! get a life, dude, what makes KW so god-like that someone wouldn't tell him what's on their mind. He doesn't sign my paycheck and he has no recourse. Sorry that your puss hurts so badly that you came here to cry about it, but you're preachin' to the choir.

FWC, how long we gonna put up with the :troll???????

I was letting you guys have some fun with him Randar.

Soxheads
05-24-2002, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


A quick not so funny story, if you will. I'm working the WSI booth at SoxFest with PHG, and Hate, when I spot Williams walking down our aisle. I mention to George that we should try and get him over to the booth, I believe George yells "Hey Kenny, are you totally biased?" and he looks over and laughs.

This had nothing to do with the thread, but thanks for reading.

The adventures of PHG and Jerry. You guys are hilarious.

bjmarte
05-24-2002, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by gosox100
hey snapperheads---!

I'm not saying it's directly everyones fault here that the sox are going down the tubes on attendence......however, when the team is showing a serious run at the playoffs, the last thing I want to consistant ly see is "low attendence" headlines. I know the scrubs commentators, journalist, and fans are behind alot of it but, who cares!..

It just bugs me to hear people constantly whining about "kenny stinks, get a pitcher, wa wa wa" Go to the games!

I want to see the team gain some fan base, this is nuts! Stop whineing start buying tickets! please.

At the risk of sounding immature like my friends who post the falling pooh signs after my reply, I will say this.....

I seriously pondered replying, concidering the talking in pertains to pooh falling and mindless zings.....offer me 5 good reasons why there is no attendence at the park and I will rebut, if not, i'm right and hopefully you'll goto the games, oh and the child who has no car can take the f***ing bus! I did.

:KW
Come on Dad, quit harrassing the fans. I can stick up for my self.

Jerry_Manuel
05-24-2002, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by daver
I was letting you guys have some fun with him Randar.

Twang........Thump!

Soxheads
05-24-2002, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by daver


I was letting you guys have some fun with him Randar.

I sense there is a red dot on gosox's rear end.

3 posts must be a new record.

Jerry_Manuel
05-24-2002, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Soxheads
The adventures of PHG and Jerry. You guys are hilarious.

Hilarious looking? :D:

Kenny had some Sox security with him to, I thought they were going to come over and rough us up!

FarWestChicago
05-24-2002, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
FWC, how long we gonna put up with the :troll??????? Sorry, I was at lunch. Daver took care of him. :D:

Soxheads
05-24-2002, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


Hilarious looking? :D:

Kenny had some Sox security with him too, I thought they were going to come over and rough us up!

Nah. It would be something to see your mug shot in the SoxFest photos, though. :smile:

nut_stock
05-24-2002, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Soxheads



LOL. I kind of wonder how it's my fault when I have noway to get to a Sox game without hitchiking. Ah, the perils of being a 14 year old Sox fan.

I felt the same way at your age. Just make sure by the time your 17, (16 if you can) you drive yourself and some friends to Comiskey. I'll probably make the 280 mi journey twice this year.

LongDistanceFan
05-24-2002, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by gosox100
hey snapperheads---!

I'm not saying it's directly everyones fault here that the sox are going down the tubes on attendence......however, when the team is showing a serious run at the playoffs, the last thing I want to consistant ly see is "low attendence" headlines. I know the scrubs commentators, journalist, and fans are behind alot of it but, who cares!..

It just bugs me to hear people constantly whining about "kenny stinks, get a pitcher, wa wa wa" Go to the games!

I want to see the team gain some fan base, this is nuts! Stop whineing start buying tickets! please.

At the risk of sounding immature like my friends who post the falling pooh signs after my reply, I will say this.....

I seriously pondered replying, concidering the talking in pertains to pooh falling and mindless zings.....offer me 5 good reasons why there is no attendence at the park and I will rebut, if not, i'm right and hopefully you'll goto the games, oh and the child who has no car can take the f***ing bus! I did. wow the hostility of your post........... you remind me of someone........ i hope your time here improves........... or else the itchy fingers gets warmed up........... :D:

bjmarte
05-24-2002, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
wow the hostility of your post........... you remind me of someone........ i hope your time here improves........... or else the itchy fingers gets warmed up........... :D:

Too late I think... for both of them.

Soxheads
05-24-2002, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by nut_stock


I felt the same way at your age. Just make sure by the time your 17, (16 if you can) you drive yourself and some friends to Comiskey. I'll probably make the 280 mi journey twice this year.

I really hope to. I hope to make it there at least twice a year.

LongDistanceFan
05-24-2002, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by bjmarte


Too late I think... for both of them. ahhh the story of my life......... always too late :(:

alohafri
05-25-2002, 12:45 PM
Disclaimer: First, let me say that I am not Alohafri, I am his wife writing this...the opinions expressed herewith are not necessarily the views of the user Alohafri, and any dissemination, quoting, or other unauthorized use of the text herein are subject to me getting slapped upside the head for using his WSI account without his permission or knowledge, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera, blah blah blah. :smile:

Now, therefore:

Cubune Co. is laughing all the way to the bank---they know they don't need to spend much money to attract big crowds--there is no incentive to put a decent team on the field, and here's one of the reasons why:

Wrigley Field is a tourist attraction and if it were torn down and rebuilt it would significantly reduce the attendance level---probably close to Comiskey levels or lower--no matter how nice the new ballpark was.
We can all beat our heads against the wall over the attendance issue, but until they tear down the urinal on the northside, it will remain a tourist attraction and will always attract busloads of tourists, much the same way our museums do.

Imagine the crowds at Comiskey if it were considered a tourist attraction like Wrigley--we'd all be complaining about the "Comiskey fans", the "damn tourists (who throw back HR balls)", and the other riff-raff. And if the Sox put a losing team like the cubs do out there year after year, the only ones left at the park would be the tourists, etc.

alohafri
05-25-2002, 01:18 PM
Mrs. Aloha,

You are lucky that we have the same opinion of the toilet on the north side.

:kelly I'm back.

Dan H
05-26-2002, 08:26 AM
In a sense attendance is a bogus issue. No one is obligated to go out to the ballpark. I'll spend my money where I please. Secondly I won't go out any more because the Sox make threats. If and when I go is because I love the game even more than I love the Sox. The biggest problem the Sox have is that many just don't care and they are not even listening to the criticism about attendance. There are three things that can change that: A World Series, the team putting an end to threats and fan bashing, and someone finding a way to avoid another strike. If you think attendance is bad now, wait until there is another work stoppage.