PDA

View Full Version : Some Recent Sox Articles

DirtySox
01-29-2009, 09:48 PM
Some interesting tidbits on Sox finances in both pieces that were posted tonight:

White Sox Cautious with Spending (http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/11315417/rss)

White Sox in Good Financial Shape (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-30-white-sox-chicagojan30,0,7436982.story)

Thome25
01-30-2009, 08:33 AM
After reading these articles how can anyone fault the Sox for not spending money this offseason? They obviously have their prorities in order.

Everyone expected them to go out and sign some big names after shedding some salaries and baggage when they let Crede, Uribe, and Cabrera go and traded Vazquez and Swisher.

But, now after reading these articles I see what they were trying to do and I applaude them for that. Here's the scoop: Jenks was due for a big salary bump in 2009 (which he got.)......then, in 2010 Quentin, Danks, Floyd, and BA are due for big pay raises because they become arbitration eligilble.

All of the money they are saving from dumping those veterans will absolutely go towards those younger players' pay hikes. They couldn't afford to sign a couple of big-name, big-salary free agents AND absorb the salary increases of their good young core too.

They have their prorities in order. They're looking ahead and being wise.......they want to spend the money on their young guys. That's how WS teams are built......look at all of the teams in the WS the last several years. Basically the same strategy.

Great job KW! Go the road less travelled........it may not be the popular road but, IMO it's the correct one.

DirtySox
01-30-2009, 10:08 AM
I echo your sentiments completely. While I obviously want to do well in 2009, the transition to 2010 sounds very exciting.

You have the now core players of Quentin, Danks, Alexei, and Gavin with the hopeful addition of some of the kids breaking out this season (Getz, Lillibridge etc). Then the infusion of the minor league seasoned prospects in Beckham, Dayan, Poreda, Flowers, and maybe to a lesser extent Jordan Danks and Brandon Allen.

Granted no prospects are a sure thing, but the potential is there in our farm system for once and that is a welcome change.

Combine all that with only $36.6 million committed to players in 2010, (according to the Trib column) and we will have a very interesting offseason next year. :gulp:

Thome25
01-30-2009, 10:17 AM
I echo your sentiments completely. While I obviously want to do well in 2009, the transition to 2010 sounds very exciting.

You have the now core players of Quentin, Danks, Alexei, and Gavin with the hopeful addition of some of the kids breaking out this season (Getz, Lillibridge etc). Then the infusion of the minor league seasoned prospects in Beckham, Dayan, Poreda, Flowers, and maybe to a lesser extent Jordan Danks and Brandon Allen.

Granted no prospects are a sure thing, but the potential is there in our farm system for once and that is a welcome change.

Combine all that with only $36.6 million committed to players in 2010, (according to the Trib column) and we will have a very interesting offseason next year. :gulp:

Exactly. We need to focus on spending our money on the core guys who will be here for the foreseeable future. There just isn't room on the payroll to pay arbitration money to all of our young, talented players AND add some big-name, big-contract free agents.

The teams that got to and won the world series in the last several years were clubs that ran their teams in this similar fashion.

I'd rather have a good, young, exciting team than one that got bad, old, and slow(er) in a hurry.

Kudos to KW......like I said, he's not taking the popular road, but, it's sure is the right road.

NLaloosh
01-30-2009, 11:15 AM
The only thing that is disappointing is that the Sox will not be taking advantage of the severe free agent discounts this off-season in any way.

But, they may not be done and they may still. There are a lot of players unsigned that mey be available well into March.

It's a shame that Kenny didn't unload Dye back in October or November before the market fell out.

Lip Man 1
01-30-2009, 12:31 PM
Thome:

As I've said before Kenny deserves 100% of the credit or blame depending on how this season pans out.

We'll see.

Lip

California Sox
01-30-2009, 12:43 PM
then, in 2010 Quentin, Danks, Floyd, and BA are due for big pay raises because they become arbitration eligilble.

I'll apologize for BA with the best of them, but if his offense does not radically improve, he's a non-tender rather than letting him get a big award in arbitration.