PDA

View Full Version : Juan Uribe Appreciation Thread

Andy T Clown
01-29-2009, 08:59 PM
Here's to you Juan.:gulp:

ChiSoxGirl
01-29-2009, 09:01 PM
How can any of us ever forget that amazing catch in Houston to put the Sox one out away from a World Series Championship?! Thanks for the memories, Juan, but we're choosing to forget all of your strikeouts! :wink:

01-29-2009, 09:03 PM
Where did he sign?

anewman35
01-29-2009, 09:05 PM
Where did he sign?

San Francisco. Minor league contract.

goon
01-29-2009, 09:05 PM
Juan had some good years with the Sox and he helped win a Championship. I wonder what lies ahead for him...

whitesox901
01-29-2009, 09:07 PM
thanks for your awsome catch in the stands, thanks for always working hard when asked, you have a great arm, glad you had some time with us, thank you always, this sox fan

CWS44
01-29-2009, 09:09 PM
All the best to Juan. I always got a kick out of seeing him in the dugout, so happy-go-lucky. He was good replacement for 3 positions, and sure had some D, and I love to watch his HRs. Showed a lot of class and heart last season.

hi im skot
01-29-2009, 09:10 PM
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/PHO/AAGV187%7E2005-World-Series-Juan-Uribe-Catch-Posters.jpg

http://www.rivalfish.com/rivalroom/uploaded_images/Juan-Uribe-798836.jpg

"íProfundo!"

doublem23
01-29-2009, 09:13 PM
I can't believe the best he could do was a minor league deal from the Giants. ****, I'd take him over the losers currently on our bench.

Thanks for the ring, Juan.

cbone
01-29-2009, 09:13 PM
I echo all your sentiments. Thanks Juan!!:gulp::gulp:

SoxandtheCityTee
01-29-2009, 09:15 PM
Best of luck to you, Juan.

voodoochile
01-29-2009, 09:15 PM
thanks for your awsome catch in the stands, thanks for always working hard when asked, you have a great arm, glad you had some time with us, thank you always, this sox fan

You mean the catch that would still being replayed if he played for the Yankees? Or the final out of the WS with the tying run in limbo scoop and fire to preserve the win and bring home the first Sox championship in 88 years?

Thanks Juan. You were adequate and at times spectacular...

Bucky F. Dent
01-29-2009, 09:16 PM
TREMENDOUS CATCH!

Best of luck, Juan!

dwalteroo
01-29-2009, 09:16 PM
Juan, when your gun is on, no one can match it. Thank you for 2005, for the catch heard round the world, and for stepping it up when the Sox needed you. We gotta whole lotta happy because of you!

FedEx227
01-29-2009, 09:19 PM
Great defensive player, but damn you were annoying offensively. He could carry us for 2 weeks, but drag us down for another 3.

Still though, you made probably the most important play in White Sox history. So farewell.

jabrch
01-29-2009, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the memories!

johnnyg83
01-29-2009, 09:22 PM
Great defensive player, but damn you were annoying offensively. He could carry us for 2 weeks, but drag us down for another 3.

Still though, you made probably the most important play in White Sox history. So farewell.

two most?

SoxGirl4Life
01-29-2009, 09:23 PM
Thanks for everything Juan! For 2005; for your incredibly goofy personality; and for tying up that god-forsaken Orioles game to give the freezing, rain-soaked fans a glimmer of hope that the game was not lost because of the suicide squeeze attempt!

And good luck in SF!

Daver
01-29-2009, 09:24 PM

Because the credo of the White Sox is "we don't care if you field with your face, as long as you can hit".

Juan was a better choice for third base than anyone on the current roster.

Gremlin3
You mean the catch that would still being replayed if he played for the Yankees? Or the final out of the WS with the tying run in limbo scoop and fire to preserve the win and bring home the first Sox championship in 88 years?

Thanks Juan. You were adequate and at times spectacular...

I completely agree

SBSoxFan
All the best to Juan. I always got a kick out of seeing him in the dugout, so happy-go-lucky. He was good replacement for 3 positions, and sure had some D, and I love to watch his HRs. Showed a lot of class and heart last season.

Very well put. Watching him throw a baseball was a real pleasure, especially after seeing Cabrera's throws.

I can't believe the best he could do was a minor league deal from the Giants. ****, I'd take him over the losers currently on our bench.

I thought the same thing. For whatever reason, the gap is widening between the haves and the have-nots. The elite players are getting their money, but then there's a huge drop off to the next level, and another huge drop after that. However, I think this just increases the chances of the Sox getting Ben Sheets. :smile:

chisoxfanatic
01-29-2009, 09:25 PM
I sure will miss Jose Uribe.

And so, another piece of our 2005 Championship puzzle parts ways...

Lefty34
01-29-2009, 09:25 PM
How can any of us ever forget that amazing catch in Houston to put the Sox one out away from a World Series Championship?!

I can, real easy. It's called a career .295 OBP and OPS+ of 80. Yeah, real easy.

01-29-2009, 09:27 PM
San Francisco. Minor league contract.
Minor league contract? Wow I thought he was at least a decent utility guy.

october23sp
01-29-2009, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the memories Juan Uribe. One of my favorite 05 Sox players, but I loved them all.

ChiSoxGirl
01-29-2009, 09:30 PM
I can, real easy. It's called a career .295 OBP and OPS+ of 80. Yeah, real easy.

I was trying to be nostalgic and appreciative. Apparently, it was taken way out of context....

Brian26
01-29-2009, 09:32 PM
This is possibly the most anti-climatic thread in WSI history...an appreciation thread for the guy that most people wanted kicked off the team two and a half years ago.

Lefty34
01-29-2009, 09:33 PM
I was trying to be nostalgic and appreciative. Apparently, it was taken way out of context....

Nostalgia is nice, but at some point you have to move on from a memory that is over three years old and realize that he was really, really bad at offensive baseball.

SOXPHILE
01-29-2009, 09:36 PM
Won't miss all those swinging from the ass strikeouts. Thanks for 2005, especially that play in the 8th and the two in the 9th of game 4 on 10/26/05. I can still hear Rooney's call...

"Did he catch it ?! Did he catch it ?! HE CAUGHT IT ! HE CAUGHT IT !

voodoochile
01-29-2009, 09:39 PM

Ya' know some things can't be quantified with numbers...

Brian26
01-29-2009, 09:39 PM
Won't miss all those swinging from the ass strikeouts. Thanks for 2005, especially that play in the 8th and the two in the 9th of game 4 on 10/26/05. I can still hear Rooney's call...

"Did he catch it ?! Did he catch it ?! HE CAUGHT IT ! HE CAUGHT IT !

The most important play Uribe made that season was gunning out Coco Crisp to end the 8th in the JOE CREDE game.

MISoxfan
01-29-2009, 09:41 PM
Nostalgia is nice, but at some point you have to move on from a memory that is over three years old and realize that he was really, really bad at offensive baseball.

You can't have both?

longtimesoxguy
01-29-2009, 09:41 PM
Good luck Juan. You will always be remembered for the 9th inning in Houston. At least when you struck out it was swinging. I will always consider you a great part to the best team in Chicago history. I hope to see you in October!!!

Lefty34
01-29-2009, 09:42 PM
Ya' know some things can't be quantified with numbers...

So I am supposed to remember average defense and a solid throwing arm for absolutely atrocious performance at the plate? Thank you, but no.

Lefty34
01-29-2009, 09:43 PM
You can't have both?

No, because at some point nostalgia necessitates the overlooking of some other detractors. While they are not strictly mutually exclusive, they are pretty close.

WhiteSox1989
01-29-2009, 09:45 PM
I'll always remember that Rooney call. And that catch. Amazing.

Just don't have much use for Juan these day.

I remember at the monument ceremony as Kenny was walking out some dude yells out "Hey Kenny why'd you sign Uribe?". Gooood times.

voodoochile
01-29-2009, 09:45 PM
You can't have both?

Nope, any nostalgia about 2005 and the players from that team will be met with derision and reminders that it's been 3+ years and nothing anyone from that team did matters anymore especially because the current team has so many holes that you could drive a truck over the pitchers mound and run over 3B and no one would notice...

voodoochile
01-29-2009, 09:46 PM
So I am supposed to remember average defense and a solid throwing arm for absolutely atrocious performance at the plate? Thank you, but no.

Got any good memories from late October 2005, Lefty?

doublem23
01-29-2009, 09:47 PM
No, because at some point nostalgia necessitates the overlooking of some other detractors. While they are not strictly mutually exclusive, they are pretty close.

Oh be quiet. Give the guy his own thread.

He was a major reason we're entering Year 4 and not Year 92.

If this was a "Juan Uribe should be starting for the Sox in 2009" thread, then yes, you're points would be valid and welcome. This is a nostalgic thread for one of the starters on possibly the greatest Sox team in history. Cram your stats with walnuts.

Lefty34
01-29-2009, 09:48 PM
Nope, any nostalgia about 2005 and the players from that team will be met with derision and reminders that it's been 3+ years and nothing anyone from that team did matters anymore especially because the current team has so many holes that you could drive a truck over the pitchers mound and run over 3B and no one would notice...

Well....your words.

southwstchi4life
01-29-2009, 09:49 PM
Is anybody else annoyed that the sox did not resign him....esp for a minor league deal. I mean he could have been used as a utility guy. I mean I know he wasnt the best player, but he was solid defender with a great arm. He also came up with some big hits. I know he was a swung like a mad man.....but I am a Uribe fan if you couldnt tell

ChiSoxGirl
01-29-2009, 09:49 PM

Look, I'm not one of those "Let's get the entire '05 team back together and win another World Series" chicks; I don't "live in the past." All I was saying is that Uribe made one of the most memorable catches in Sox history. That's not an everyday catch he made. What's so wrong with drawing attention to it in the guy's appreciation thread?

Daver
01-29-2009, 09:50 PM

Your judge of talent is based on offense, and you know it. If Uribe is average then the entire Sox infield going into spring training sucks by your standards.

voodoochile
01-29-2009, 09:51 PM
Is anybody else annoyed that the sox did not resign him....esp for a minor league deal. I mean he could have been used as a utility guy. I mean I know he wasnt the best player, but he was solid defender with a great arm. He also came up with some big hits. I know he was a swung like a mad man.....but I am a Uribe fan if you couldnt tell

They couldn't negotiate with him until 5/1 because they didn't offer him arbitration.

Daver
01-29-2009, 09:51 PM
Is anybody else annoyed that the sox did not resign him....esp for a minor league deal.
He was not offered arbitration, the sox couldn't re-sign him till May 1st.

voodoochile
01-29-2009, 09:52 PM
He was not offered arbitration, the sox couldn't re-sign him till May 1st.

Ha, I win...:D:

FedEx227
01-29-2009, 09:53 PM
The most important play Uribe made that season was gunning out Coco Crisp to end the 8th in the JOE CREDE game.

That was probably the most amazing play I've ever seen in person. That ball was SO high in the air. I wonder how else from this board was at the game. We were in the upper deck and when he let it go, I said "Great, that ones in the 3rd row" then in like the last second it dipped down.

It was like time stood still while it was up in the air, especially with Crisp running, I still don't know how he did it.

The biggest play I was referring to was in the crowd, yeah his one to end the game was nice, but that dive in the crowd is just out of this world.

EuroSox35
01-29-2009, 09:57 PM
Was going to bring up the spectacular D in the 'Joe Crede!' game, glad to see I was beat to it

Let's not forget some pretty damn good D at 3rd last year, got us out of a jam with Crede going down again. It was great to have a guy like that he wasn't going to bitch or sulk after we traded for his replacement and we relegated him to the bench.

I like looking at stats but some of these responses is why people hate statheads. So he wasn't an allstar, why would you expect him to be? Everyone in the lineup isn't going to be a wizard with the bat, at least he still contributed to winning games (some very big games at that).

Lefty34
01-29-2009, 10:03 PM
Your judge of talent is based on offense, and you know it.

Have I ever said that it wasn't? Save for a seldom few times?

If Uribe is average then the entire Sox infield going into spring training sucks by your standards.

I wouldn't say that. But they are definitely questionable.

soxinem1
01-29-2009, 10:05 PM
I've had more than my share of gripes about Uribe since he joined the team, but credit is due when it is do, especially in an APPRECIATION thread.

Oooreebay (per ESPN's Jon Miller) solidified a key position when we needed it, made many spectacular clutch plays for five years, and never made excuses when things were rough.

Personally I found him quite entertaining at times, and the good did outweigh the bad.

Not to mention, he helped give us the opportunity that many generations did not live to see, and that is a World Series Championship in our lifetimes.

For that alone, all White Sox fans should be truly grateful.:bandance::bandance:

LoveYourSuit
01-29-2009, 10:05 PM

I so agree. I hated him as an everyday player, but off the bench would be a huge asset for any team.

I think the only way the Sox could have retained him is if they had offered him arbitration, that would have meant we would be paying him a major league contract and for a few million.

I guess not worth it in those terms.

Just to sit back and think now, there is a ton of over-paid crap in baseball today based on today's market. For Toby Hall to have made a 7 figure salary the last 3 years just tells you MLB has major issues. I hope this craps gets cleaned up.

longtimesoxguy
01-29-2009, 10:08 PM
Look, I'm not one of those "Let's get the entire '05 team back together and win another World Series" chicks; I don't "live in the past." All I was saying is that Uribe made one of the most memorable catches in Sox history. That's not an everyday catch he made. What's so wrong with drawing attention to it in the guy's appreciation thread?
"One of most memorable" that was the best defensive play in Sox history!!!!

Daver
01-29-2009, 10:08 PM
Have I ever said that it wasn't? Save for a seldom few times?

The next step is showing the propellerheads that baseball is not an offensive sport, you can grasp it if you really try.

CWS44
01-29-2009, 10:09 PM

I would have liked to see Juan with the Sox this year. He can fill a lot of holes at great price, solid D, and when he's hot, well you know....he's hot.

FedEx227
01-29-2009, 10:12 PM
I would have liked to see Juan with the Sox this year. He can fill a lot of holes at great price, solid D, and when he's hot, well you know....he's hot.

I think we ran our course with him. Time to pass the reigns onto Josh Fields so we can find out if he can do it full-time at the major league level.

Daver
01-29-2009, 10:17 PM
I think we ran our course with him. Time to pass the reigns onto Josh Fields so we can find out if he can do it full-time at the major league level.
Defensively it will be fun to watch. Painful, but fun.

CLR01
01-29-2009, 10:19 PM
Stay off the bridges Juan.

guillen4life13
01-29-2009, 10:20 PM
Well....your words.

I'm gonna go a head and guess that your skull skews the world's average adult skull thickness up by about an inch...

Thanks Juan for being a good defender at three positions where good defense is a high priority and coming through with the bat every so often. Thanks for not complaining about playing time when you were relegated to the bench. Thanks for being the only guy on the team who could be relied on to lay down a decent bunt(!!!). Thanks for... you know, doing good things that numbers don't really represent all that well. You were no A-Rod, and that's not necessarily a bad thing especially when it comes to interacting with your teammates. And of course, thanks for those web gems when they really mattered.

ChiSoxGirl
01-29-2009, 10:20 PM
"One of most memorable" that was the best defensive play in Sox history!!!!

Not according to Lefty34.... He was saying how we could forget that play by reminding ourselves of Juan's offensive numbers.

FedEx227
01-29-2009, 10:31 PM
Defensively it will be fun to watch. Painful, but fun.

It very well maybe, but enough messing around with him. Give him the reigns, see what happens. If he bombs then we'll be able to make adjustments quickly.

voodoochile
01-29-2009, 10:32 PM
I'm gonna go a head and guess that your skull skews the world's average adult skull thickness up by about an inch...

Thanks Juan for being a good defender at three positions where good defense is a high priority and coming through with the bat every so often. Thanks for not complaining about playing time when you were relegated to the bench. Thanks for being the only guy on the team who could be relied on to lay down a decent bunt(!!!). Thanks for... you know, doing good things that numbers don't really represent all that well. You were no A-Rod, and that's not necessarily a bad thing especially when it comes to interacting with your teammates. And of course, thanks for those web gems when they really mattered.

Damn that's funny, but please refrain from making personal attacks...

MISoxfan
01-29-2009, 10:40 PM

I don't agree.

Daver
01-29-2009, 10:41 PM
It very well maybe, but enough messing around with him. Give him the reigns, see what happens. If he bombs then we'll be able to make adjustments quickly.

When did you join the Sox front office?

johnnyg83
01-29-2009, 10:43 PM
Cheers Uribe!

You will move on ... but we will not forget.

Lefty34
01-29-2009, 11:11 PM

I'll give credit where credit is due: that was a pretty wicked burn. I liked it.

TheOzziePlan
01-30-2009, 12:33 AM
With Uribe gone, we had to sign Bartolo Colon to keep the average weight on the team at what it was last year. I love the guy (Uribe that is), but I'm just saying.....

TheOzziePlan
01-30-2009, 12:33 AM
.....he's fat.

BNLSox
01-30-2009, 12:39 AM
My sister-in-law always had a strange obsession with Uribe. When there was speculation that he was going to prison on a gun charge she was on pins and needles hoping it wasn't true. Anyway . . .

Sad to see another one of the the boys go that finally brought the trophy home. Of the starting 8 position players from '05 we're down to just Pauly, AJ, and Dye.

Thanks Juan, and the very best of luck! You've got a hell of a gun and on the rare occasions when you find a way to make contact the ball usually isn't very happy about it.

CWSpalehoseCWS
01-30-2009, 01:01 AM
Can't say I'm going to miss him, but he had his moments while in a Sox uni. Especially that leap into the stands in Game 4. Met him at an autograph signing at a U.S. Cellular store by my house and had him sign a game-used bat and baseball card. Was a pretty nice guy too, even if he does shoot people for getting too clase to his car, lol.

WhiteSox5187
01-30-2009, 02:14 AM

When he wanted to be, but at times he was just brutal.

Juan played best when he had to work for a job, if he was assured anything, it was not pretty to watch.

Still he was a big piece of '05 and despite the fact he drove me insane later on, I'll always think fondly of 2005.

sullythered
01-30-2009, 02:46 AM
I always liked Juan. He's a fun guy to have on your favorite team. I'm gonna miss him.

wilburaga
01-30-2009, 09:26 AM
Best of luck, Juanny. I'll always remember you as the provider of some of the most treasured and thrilling moments in my 50+ years of Sox fandom. Live long and prosper.

W

guillensdisciple
01-30-2009, 09:29 AM
Loved Juan Uribe, horrible horrible hitter that I often wanted to throw the bat at. The fielding on the other hand, was so terrific that I immediately thought he should have received a gold glove. Ultimately, they balanced out perfectly, but I will remember Juan for all the times I was frustrated with him, for all the times I would scream "GET THE **** OUT OF HERE JUAN" then 20 minutes later, after a sick defensive play my father would say "You still want him to get the **** out of here?" That is why Juan is the man, no other player has ever made me hate him and love him at the same time like Juan did.

SoxFan78
01-30-2009, 09:29 AM
I'll miss his defense. He kept the Sox alive in the race when Crede went out. What a arm on this guy. Now his strike outs with his knee on the ground, I will not miss.

Good luck Juan OOribe, ill always remember 2005 when you got robbed out of the gold glove.

WhiteSox1989
01-30-2009, 09:31 AM
Loved Juan Uribe, horrible horrible hitter that I often wanted to throw the bat at. The fielding on the other hand, was so terrific that I immediately thought he should have received a gold glove. Ultimately, they balanced out perfectly, but I will remember Juan for all the times I was frustrated with him, for all the times I would scream "GET THE **** OUT OF HERE JUAN" then 20 minutes later, after a sick defensive play my father would say "You still want him to get the **** out of here?" That is why Juan is the man, no other player has ever made me hate him and love him at the same time like Juan did.

Haha, that's basically how I felt about him too. Sometimes just looking at him would piss me off, because he always seemed to have this grin on his face.

I'll miss Juan. He provided me with some laughs this season.

soxfan21
01-30-2009, 09:36 AM
I wish you luck Juan, but I think you still look like a gremlin.

Rohan
01-30-2009, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the memories and the effort man.

esbrechtel
01-30-2009, 09:46 AM
I can't remember ever having more of a Love/Hate relationship with a sox player. One minute I would hate him, "Juan why are you swinging at that ball at your eyes!?!?!" and the next I would love him..."Did he catch it? Did he catch it? He DID!!!!!!"

The Milkman
01-30-2009, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the memories and also for allegedly shooting a couple people.

guillen4life13
01-30-2009, 09:53 AM
Damn that's funny, but please refrain from making personal attacks...

I'll give credit where credit is due: that was a pretty wicked burn. I liked it.

My bad. Thanks for taking it in jest. There wasn't anything malicious behind it--it was just a joke (and thanks for seeing it as such). :D:

Thome25
01-30-2009, 09:58 AM
Thanks Juan!! I'll always appreciate the last two defensive plays of the 2005 WS.:gulp::bandance:

Good luck in SF!!

Soxman219
01-30-2009, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the memories Juan. We could not have won the WS in 05 without you.

ChiSoxFan81
01-30-2009, 10:43 AM
I will always remember his arm and his defense in the 9th inning of Game 4.I will not miss him making me look like Ms. Cleo by predicting him striking out by swinging at an eye-high pitch almost every time.

JGarlandrules20
01-30-2009, 10:55 AM
Thanks for 2004 and 2005, Juan! And thanks for stepping up when we needed you last season!

I'm sure he'll be greatly missed in the clubhouse. He seemed like a really fun-loving guy.

#1swisher
01-30-2009, 11:42 AM
Thanks Juan for being clutch. I'll miss you.:gulp:

Jenks4Prez
01-30-2009, 11:44 AM
You will be missed YOU-REEBS!!!!!

I'd like to think that the majority of White Sox nation will always appreciate what you've done for us. I personally don't believe we would have won the World Series title without your glove at Shortstop.

wassagstdu
01-30-2009, 12:22 PM
Outstanding shortstop, outstanding second baseman, outstanding third baseman. Defensively, could start at any of those positions for any ML team. Also a big game player with a great team attitude. The Giants got a tremendous bargain.

The best to you, Juan. Thanks for being a key part of the best Sox team in my lifetime, and thanks for being the infielder I most wanted the ball to be hit to in any clutch situation.

thomas35forever
01-30-2009, 12:26 PM
"Uribe is over there. He reaches. Did he catch it? DID HE CATCH IT??? HE CAUGHT IT!!!! HE CAUGHT IT!!!"

"Here's the 1-2 pitch to Palmeiro. A ground ball past Jenks up the middle of the infield. Uribe has it. He throws...OUT!!!!!! OUT!!!!!! A WHITE SOX WINNER AND A WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP!! THE WHITE SOX HAVE WON THE WORLD SERIES AND THEY'RE MOBBING EACH OTHER ON THE FIELD!"

All that needs to be said. Best of luck, Juan.

Chez
01-30-2009, 02:01 PM
Outstanding shortstop, outstanding second baseman, outstanding third baseman. Defensively, could start at any of those positions for any ML team. Also a big game player with a great team attitude. The Giants got a tremendous bargain.

The best to you, Juan. Thanks for being a key part of the best Sox team in my lifetime, and thanks for being the infielder I most wanted the ball to be hit to in any clutch situation.

I couldn't have said it any better.

HebrewHammer
01-30-2009, 02:03 PM
He played here for 5 years and he is best remembered for one play. This speaks volumes about the Juan Uribe era in Chicago.

Milkman43
01-30-2009, 03:30 PM
Juan, it was interesting watching your weight constantly fluctuate. I loved to watch you glove it and run the bases. Best of luck in San Fran.

areilly
01-30-2009, 04:02 PM
Laser home runs and seemingly automatic 0-2 counts hit every time at bat. Great plays and bad shape.

Palms up, glove down, bubbles-a-blowin', our guy rides off to the Bay.

Best of luck out West, Big Juan.

RadioheadRocks
01-30-2009, 04:04 PM
Thanks Juan and best of luck to you. :cheers:

AZChiSoxFan
01-30-2009, 04:08 PM
How can any of us ever forget that amazing catch in Houston to put the Sox one out away from a World Series Championship?! Thanks for the memories, Juan, but we're choosing to forget all of your strikeouts! :wink:

Along with the last out in the 8th and the last out in the 9th.

veeter
01-30-2009, 04:21 PM
Good luck buddy.

all*star quentin
01-30-2009, 06:23 PM

Thank you, Juan:tiphat:

kevin57
01-30-2009, 09:05 PM
Juan drove me nuts over these past couple of years. I saw so much potential, which was only whetted by moments of spectacular play.

Like so many others, I will never forget or diminish your play in Game 4 of the 2005 WS. Gracias, amigo.

Sargeant79
01-30-2009, 10:09 PM
Thank you Juan. Here's to hoping that National League pitchers don't know yet that you can't lay off a pitch at your head on an 0-2 count.

thatguy
01-31-2009, 10:18 AM
as hawk used to say "when he's hot, he can carry you"

IrishedIllini
01-31-2009, 10:48 AM
Best of luck Juan. Sure you'll be back in the show quickly. Buy Rowand a beer for me.

chisox616
01-31-2009, 11:12 AM
Anyone remember him getting his teammates to sign his bat? That was actually a bit sad to see, cause even he knew he wouldn't be coming back. Still, great guy off the bench, and he really stepped it up in 2008.

Thanks, Uribe.

chisox77
01-31-2009, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the memories, Juan.

LITTLE NELL
01-31-2009, 02:38 PM
He drove me nuts at times but I think we should have held on to him as a super sub and insurance for Fields and Getz.

SoxSpeed22
02-01-2009, 12:31 AM
Thanks for the great defense in 2005 and thanks for the good job in 2008 as a third baseman. We can't use 'profundo' anymore, which we'll miss (or at least Carl Skanberg will miss it).
:worship:http://www.b12partners.net/mt/images/Juan_Uribe_catch_angle.jpg

Frankfan4life
02-01-2009, 12:09 PM
Adios Juan. I wish you well. Thanks for all the great memories and especially for helping the Sox to a World Series victory in 2005.

Please watch those calories. :tongue:

Frankfan4life
02-01-2009, 12:16 PM
Best of luck Juan. Sure you'll be back in the show quickly. Buy Rowand a beer for me.
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-forum/welcome.gif

WhiteSoxJunkie
02-03-2009, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the 11th inning walk off home run vs the Indians in 07!

WhiteSox5187
02-03-2009, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the 11th inning walk off home run vs the Indians in 07!
That is a strange Juan Uribe moment to remember him by!

BigP50
02-04-2009, 10:10 PM
Juan was great at 3B last year,

good luck next year Juan!!!!

WHILEPITCH
02-04-2009, 10:20 PM
I cant even tell you whether Uribe got better or worse during his WS tenure, but it sure was a weird ride. I suppose his most on-fire time was early in his time here where he looked like Lou Gehrig at the plate.

All the best to him - some of those right-before-title-winning defensive plays are going to be the D-moments i remember for a lifetime.

soxfandoug
02-05-2009, 01:11 AM
I'll certainly miss Juan. He was a great guy to have on the team... excellent defensive 2B/SS/3B with some pop aren't easy to come by. Shame he had to take a minor league deal. :(:

ChiSoxFan81
02-05-2009, 09:04 AM
Also, thanks for being on the back end of 4 consecutive HRs.

35th&Florida
02-05-2009, 08:17 PM
My favorite Juan Uribe moment (aside from the plethora mentioned in this thread) is sitting in the bleachers in 04 with my grandparents when a fan several rows back made me laugh for days.

Juan was batting, late innings, playing out a string of meaningless games in September, and cutting thru the misty rained soak evening comes comic gold...

"Come on White Sox....*groan* Come on Uribe!! Come on ...*stutter stutter* you...you... you shovel-faced bastard!!"

I didnt know what to laugh at first... shovel faced bastard...or my 85 year old grandmother asking me if that was his real name?

Instant Classic

See you around Cinco...

Huisj
02-05-2009, 09:42 PM
I cant even tell you whether Uribe got better or worse during his WS tenure, but it sure was a weird ride. I suppose his most on-fire time was early in his time here where he looked like Lou Gehrig at the plate.

All the best to him - some of those right-before-title-winning defensive plays are going to be the D-moments i remember for a lifetime.

That hot streak he had early on in '04 when his average reached around .400 for a bit was unreal.

Jenks4Prez
02-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Thanks You-Reebs!!!

I hope this love fest for Uribe doesn't get ruined by a Dominican farmer who got too close to Juan's Jeep.

nug0hs
02-06-2009, 11:39 AM
I can't believe this thread is still alive and kicking after a week

kitekrazy
02-07-2009, 07:13 PM
I can't believe this thread is still alive and kicking after a week

It might go thru the season with Josh can't Fields at 3rd base.

I don't know what kind of minor league deal Jaun got but I think the Sox should have matched it just for depth purposes.

Rounding_Third
02-08-2009, 09:02 AM
He's the most underappreciated Sox player I can remember. We're going to miss him more than we realize. What a glove and arm! He made the occasional spectacular play and just about made ALL the routine plays; the ones we'll miss the most. And, oh, could he turn that DP! He played each of his 3 positions nearly flawlessly. Plug him in anywhere and get Gold Glove caliber defense. And he was one of the most productive #9 hitters in baseball over the last 5 years. Despite the grumblings, the RBI stats bear that out.

Thank you for '05 and thank you for '08...thank you, Juan, for everything!

mweflen
02-10-2009, 11:54 PM
Uribe was one of my favorite players to watch, whether he was in one of his torrid 400+ stretches, or in one of his swatting at braking balls in the dirt stretches.

His defense and his arm were never suspect. Nor was, as best I can tell, his attitude.

I'll miss watching him play, and hope he does gangbusters for SF.

dugwood31
02-13-2009, 11:51 PM
Believe it or not, Uribe will be the player that defines the 05 Sox for me. He has a great attitude and a great glove. You gotta love a guy who tried to put ever 2-0, 3-1 pitch on the Dan Ryan.

Boondock Saint
02-14-2009, 01:17 AM
That is a strange Juan Uribe moment to remember him by!

If it's the same game I'm thinking of, it's my favorite Uribe moment, too. It was August 8, and the HR was in the 13th. It kind of describes his time with the Sox in one game. He had 2 errors that game, but he also had a triple and the walk off shot. He'd do things that would make you want to rip your hair out, but there were times that he'd do things that would have you jumping out of your seat, too.

Best of luck to him.

WhiteSoxJunkie
02-15-2009, 09:31 PM
If it's the same game I'm thinking of, it's my favorite Uribe moment, too. It was August 8, and the HR was in the 13th. It kind of describes his time with the Sox in one game. He had 2 errors that game, but he also had a triple and the walk off shot. He'd do things that would make you want to rip your hair out, but there were times that he'd do things that would have you jumping out of your seat, too.

Best of luck to him.

Yeah that's the one I'm thinking of. I will remember this game because I was there and not too far from where Uribe's walk off shot landed. He did have 2 errors that game, one of them led to a run that put Cleveland on top in extra innings before AJ tied it with a solo shot. Then Uribe ended it in the 13th just after Steve Stone (subbing for DJ that game) predicted he would.

slavko
02-15-2009, 11:43 PM
And in other news about too big guys named Uribe, Manuel Uribe of Monterey, MX a formerly 1,200 pound man who has shed some weight has gotten married to the widow of a 450 pound man who died of weight related causes. Just saw this on TLC cable channel. If they run it again, it's your opportunity to see a 1,200 pound guy nearly naked. Check your local schedule. It's can't miss TV. Set your TIVO's.

awesomefan
03-07-2009, 01:44 PM
Thanks to doublem23, Daver, Voodoochile, Rounding Third & anyone who loved Juan & considered him to be an awesome shortstop. I agree Juan should have won a Gold Glove too.

Juanie was my Honey. I'll be watchin' for him, hopefully, with the Giants sometime this year when they play the Cubs or the Cardinals.

I want Aaron Rowand & Jon Garland back with the White Sox too.

Oh!!! I forgot, want Joe Crede back too.

HomeFish
03-07-2009, 02:40 PM
Juan Uribe always entertained. Before every game, he would always come up to Ed Farmer and tell him that he was going to go profundo that night. And Farmer always mentioned that Uribe did this when Uribe came up to bat that game.

whitesox901
03-07-2009, 02:44 PM
And in other news about too big guys named Uribe, Manuel Uribe of Monterey, MX a formerly 1,200 pound man who has shed some weight has gotten married to the widow of a 450 pound man who died of weight related causes. Just saw this on TLC cable channel. If they run it again, it's your opportunity to see a 1,200 pound guy nearly naked. Check your local schedule. It's can't miss TV. Set your TIVO's.

:?:

LoveYourSuit
03-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Betemit's play off the bench with the glove is going to make us all wish Uribe was still here.

Uriber sucked as a ML hitter, but his glove would be a valueable asset off anyone's bench.

DickAllen72
03-07-2009, 06:02 PM
I liked Juan Uribe and wish him nothing but the best.

ode to veeck
03-08-2009, 06:47 AM
Uriber sucked as a ML hitter, but his glove would be a valueable asset off anyone's bench.

In 2005, Uribe was the best breaking ball hitting in a lineup chock full of fastball hitters. When a good breaking ball pitcher was stumping the Sox, it was often Uribe who started the rally or got the key hit. After '05 his hitting skills and attitude diminished most of the time, but he was the best glove we had at SS in many years (sorry Manos).

HebrewHammer
03-08-2009, 08:22 AM
Juan Uribe is long gone, but his thread is still here. Come on. There wasn't this much crying and teeth gnashing for the Aaron Rowand Appreciation thread.

If I had to buy stock in a future appreciation thread, it would have to be for Brian Anderson. That thread could blow up the servers at WSI HQ.