PDA

View Full Version : Vienna gets the Hot Dog deal at the Cell

Chez
01-29-2009, 05:01 PM
Just heard from an unimpeachable (couldn't resist) source that Chicago's own Vienna Beef will replace Best Kosher as the Official Hot Dog at the Cell. Great news. Vienna's hot dogs are great.

thomas35forever
01-29-2009, 05:14 PM
I like Vienna Beef as well. Nothing will replace Best's Kosher though. Are they going to have a substitute for the kosher dogs?

Jenks4Prez
01-29-2009, 05:16 PM
Terrible news. The dogs/polish/etc. at the Cell were the best.

Eddo144
01-29-2009, 05:19 PM
I like Vienna Beef as well. Nothing will replace Best's Kosher though. Are they going to have a substitute for the kosher dogs?
Good question. While you can't go wrong with Vienna Beef, my favorite food at the park was the kosher dog. I wonder what will become of it?

anewman35
01-29-2009, 05:21 PM
Terrible news. The dogs/polish/etc. at the Cell were the best.

Well, Best Kosher are being discontinued, so it's better than no replacement at all.

house215
01-29-2009, 05:24 PM
My hope is that Vienna Beef respects what works at the Cell. I fear they will replace the griddle with onions to a hot dog bar with every topping (relish, onions, pickle, peppers, etc) with only steamed dogs.

thedudeabides
01-29-2009, 05:27 PM
Glad to hear it. It's the next best thing.

gobears1987
01-29-2009, 05:31 PM
Well the Sox aren't getting any more concession money from me. You think that Einhorn and Reinsdorf would make sure there was a real KOSHER hot dog to replace Best Kosher at the ballpark. Vienna Beef isn't just non-Kosher, but they add pork to supposedly "all-beef" products. I'll just be grilling dogs at home and not eat the treyf.

areilly
01-29-2009, 05:32 PM
More importantly. . .

Can a Vienna hot dog play center?

Domeshot17
01-29-2009, 05:39 PM
How many of you have seen vienna beef play?!?!?!

BainesHOF
01-29-2009, 05:53 PM
I'm all for Vienna.

Hopefully the buns will be fresh all the time now.

DSpivack
01-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Well the Sox aren't getting any more concession money from me. You think that Einhorn and Reinsdorf would make sure there was a real KOSHER hot dog to replace Best Kosher at the ballpark. Vienna Beef isn't just non-Kosher, but they add pork to supposedly "all-beef" products. I'll just be grilling dogs at home and not eat the treyf.

I thought they never really were kosher to begin with since the facilities weren't?

It's Dankerific
01-29-2009, 06:42 PM
Gosh, thats great news. It will help when Im back home to be able to also get a Vienna beef Polish!

Dub25
01-29-2009, 06:59 PM
Vienna is overrated. Its like eating a piece of rubber.

Daver
01-29-2009, 07:03 PM
Vienna is overrated. Its like eating a piece of rubber.

It's a hot dog, it's made out of entrails, tails, and snout to begin with.

gobears1987
01-29-2009, 08:11 PM
I thought they never really were kosher to begin with since the facilities weren't?
The grills were kosher and dairy products weren't used at those stands. I actually know of an Orthodox Rabbi who has season tickets and would always go to those stands. I guess he'll have to bring his own food too.

whitem0nkey
01-29-2009, 08:16 PM
I welcome the change, as an upgrade, unless there is a price increase.

whitesox901
01-29-2009, 08:49 PM
hot dog sounds good about now

jabrch
01-29-2009, 09:14 PM
The grills were kosher and dairy products weren't used at those stands. I actually know of an Orthodox Rabbi who has season tickets and would always go to those stands. I guess he'll have to bring his own food too.

An orthodox rabbi would eat dogs at the park? I know the meat is kosher, but the preparation is nowhere close, nor is the kitchen. You can not be orthodox if you eat a dog (even a kosher) at the ballpark.

Dibbs
01-29-2009, 09:42 PM
Does this mean their Italian Sausage will be different too? If so, this is HORRIBLE news.

DSpivack
01-29-2009, 10:00 PM
An orthodox rabbi would eat dogs at the park? I know the meat is kosher, but the preparation is nowhere close, nor is the kitchen. You can not be orthodox if you eat a dog (even a kosher) at the ballpark.

I went to a lot of games with a Modern Orthodox friend, he always brought food in for that reason.

soxinem1
01-29-2009, 10:19 PM

http://www.lazydork.com/movies/greatout.jpg

'I believe I said that hot dogs were lips and *******s!'

Bucky F. Dent
01-30-2009, 06:53 AM
Gonna miss the Best Kosher.

doublem23
01-30-2009, 08:07 AM
The true Chicago style hot dog. Shouldn't have ever been anything else. I just hope this means there will be someplace to get an actual Chicago-style hot dog now; Vienna Beef hot dog, poppy seed bun, and drag it through the garden.

:cool:

Finally, an offseason acquisition I can get behind.

Steelrod
01-30-2009, 08:08 AM
Both were owned by Sara Lee. Best Kosher is RIP!
Personally, I always preferred Vienna, but neither was kosher! Each stand would need to be certified as they are in New York.

soxrme
01-30-2009, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the info:D:

Chez
01-30-2009, 08:53 AM
Both were owned by Sara Lee. Best Kosher is RIP!
Personally, I always preferred Vienna, but neither was kosher! Each stand would need to be certified as they are in New York.

Best Kosher (RIP) was last owned by Sara Lee, but I don't believe Vienna has ever been owned by Sara Lee.

Nellie_Fox
01-30-2009, 11:00 AM
A Vienna beef is a good dog, but it's not a substitute for a kosher dog. Different things entirely.

As far as a "Chicago-style" hot dog is concerned, if I want a salad, I'll order a salad.

doublem23
01-30-2009, 11:06 AM
As far as a "Chicago-style" hot dog is concerned, if I want a salad, I'll order a salad.

If it makes you feel better, Nellie, I don't think any of the ingredients are really good for you (maybe the tomato and onions). :cool:

I just realized this is excellent news for me, since Ms. Doub loves Vienna Beef hot dogs (won't eat any other brand or kind). Makes talking her into splurging for a season ticket package after we move back all the easier.

Nellie_Fox
01-30-2009, 11:08 AM
If it makes you feel better, Nellie, I don't think any of the ingredients are really good for you (maybe the tomato and onions). :cool:My "five basic food groups": salt, sugar, grease, caffeine, and alcohol.

NLaloosh
01-30-2009, 11:09 AM
Have you ever heard of beer?

It was invented to wash down whatever ballparks sell that fits inside a bun.

doublem23
01-30-2009, 11:10 AM
My "five basic food groups": salt, sugar, grease, caffeine, and alcohol.

And half the stuff is salted for deliciousness; sport peppers, relish, picke spear... That's not how they grow in the ground, Professor. :tongue:

XplodingScorbord
01-30-2009, 11:59 AM
I'm sad to say that I'm just finding out that Sara Lee is discontinuing their Best's brand. Perhaps they can re-start someday under new ownership? This is really a loss. They were far and away the best dogs going.

I'm in the Vienna-is-an-OK-replacement crowd, though.

Nellie_Fox
01-30-2009, 12:03 PM
Have you ever heard of beer?

It was invented to wash down whatever ballparks sell that fits inside a bun.I refuse to pay ballpark prices for beer. I'll be damned if I'll pay $6.50 for a beer to cover up the fact that they don't sell a good-tasting hot dog.

NLaloosh
01-30-2009, 01:06 PM
I refuse to pay ballpark prices for beer. I'll be damned if I'll pay $6.50 for a beer to cover up the fact that they don't sell a good-tasting hot dog.

:tongue: I hear you. But, can't you buy a whole package of hot dogs and buns for what they charge for 1 at the game? It's not an economical endeavor.

PaleHoser
01-30-2009, 01:20 PM
FWIW, I think it's great that the Sox chose to do business with a local company.

esbrechtel
01-30-2009, 01:24 PM
I'm sad to say that I'm just finding out that Sara Lee is discontinuing their Best's brand. Perhaps they can re-start someday under new ownership? This is really a loss. They were far and away the best dogs going.

I'm in the Vienna-is-an-OK-replacement crowd, though.

Many shared these sentiments.....a month or two a go there was a huge thread about this...

esbrechtel
01-30-2009, 01:25 PM
in fact here it is...

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=107736&highlight=best+kosher

XplodingScorbord
01-30-2009, 01:36 PM
Many shared these sentiments.....a month or two a go there was a huge thread about this...

That's what I get for not paying closer attention in the offseason! Thanks for the link. I'll read it with sadness, I'm sure.

Law11
01-30-2009, 01:41 PM
Does this mean their Italian Sausage will be different too? If so, this is HORRIBLE news.

No the sausage is Hillshire Farm. A different brand of Sara Lee.

areilly
01-30-2009, 01:48 PM
I refuse to pay ballpark prices for beer. I'll be damned if I'll pay $6.50 for a beer to cover up the fact that they don't sell a good-tasting hot dog.

Flask or Beer Belly? I smell a poll coming up. . .

:gulp:

brucefan34
02-03-2009, 09:50 AM

My father-in-law says "lips and mod edit: Do not attempt to evade the language filters"!!:D:

KnightSox
02-03-2009, 10:09 AM

I'm in the Vienna-is-an-OK-replacement crowd, though.I have heard and do not know if there is any truth to it, but the family that runs Bests is buying back the recipe and will still produce the dogs and certain other products on their own.

Region Rat
02-03-2009, 10:40 AM
Im going to miss the smell of onions and Koshers when Im coming into the park:whiner:

...but Vienna makes a damn fine hot dog.

MushMouth
02-03-2009, 10:58 AM
would have loved a kosher replacement, but I do love Vienna dogs too, as long as they are natural casing versions... hopefully they'll add chicago-style toppings to the kiosks now.

soxfan21
02-03-2009, 11:18 AM
would have loved a kosher replacement, but I do love Vienna dogs too, as long as they are natural casing versions... hopefully they'll add chicago-style toppings to the kiosks now.

I agree, love to see some sport peppers out there :D:.

whitesox901
02-03-2009, 12:24 PM
As long as I still get a Comiskey Dog or a Polish w/ Onion...:drool:

Im happy :smile:

Bob G
02-03-2009, 12:38 PM
Now only if the Sox could get Portillo's to run the concessions....

doublem23
02-03-2009, 01:01 PM
Now only if the Sox could get Portillo's to run the concessions....

They already want an arm and a leg at their restaurants, I can't imagine what they'd charge at the park. $12 hot dogs, $25 burgers, but you can wash it down with a $45 beer.

hi im skot
02-03-2009, 01:14 PM
They already want an arm and a leg at their restaurants, I can't imagine what they'd charge at the park. $12 hot dogs, $25 burgers, but you can wash it down with a $45 beer.

Sounds like the United Center.

jej254
02-03-2009, 02:15 PM
vienna beefs are decent

ktssox
02-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Im going to miss the smell of onions and Koshers when Im coming into the park:whiner:

...but Vienna makes a damn fine hot dog.

Are they not going to be cooking the Viennas on the grill with the onions? That would be very sad indeed.

Also, for the people looking for Chicago-style dogs, isn't there already a stand out in right field?

hi im skot
02-03-2009, 02:52 PM
I'll just continue to go to Maxwell Street Depot at 31st and Canal.

Bob G
02-03-2009, 04:49 PM

I think we already pay an arm and a leg for fairly mediocre food and service. With Portillo's I think the prices could be about the same with much better selection, quality and faster service.

skobabe8
02-03-2009, 07:36 PM
I think we already pay an arm and a leg for fairly mediocre food and service. With Portillo's I think the prices could be about the same with much better selection, quality and faster service.

I was daydreaming about a Schoops Hamburgers stand on the concourse today. I would love to see the concessions become more local and privatized. SAFECO Field does it like that.

Marqhead
02-03-2009, 09:20 PM
I was daydreaming about a Schoops Hamburgers stand on the concourse today. I would love to see the concessions become more local and privatized. SAFECO Field does it like that.

I've heard multiple reports that SAFECO has the best food in the majors. I would imagine local, private businesses have a large hand in that.

It would be cool to see some added variety, but I'm good with a hot dog and onion from almost anywhere.

doublem23
02-03-2009, 10:06 PM

:dunno:

I've never had a problem with the food service at the Cell, but admittedly, I don't get to as many games as I did when I lived in Chicago.

I'm also not very fond of Portillo's, I think they already charge enough for their crap. That, and I'm a "city snob," and don't want any suburban food chain at the Cell. :tongue:

skobabe8
02-04-2009, 07:51 AM
:dunno:

I've never had a problem with the food service at the Cell, but admittedly, I don't get to as many games as I did when I lived in Chicago.

I'm also not very fond of Portillo's, I think they already charge enough for their crap. That, and I'm a "city snob," and don't want any suburban food chain at the Cell. :tongue:

I've had some serious issues with the people working the concessions to be EXTREMELY slow. I'm not the type who gets angry very often, and I DO NOT expect the speed of a McDonalds drive-thru when I visit a stand at the park. But experiences I have had the last couple of years have been almost a joke with the way some workers take their time and have to pour a beer numerous times because they dont know how.

As far as the food, its decent to good. I just would like to see a few specialty stands added by local eateries.

soxstarter
02-04-2009, 07:59 AM

Daver, I think you put it all in perspective here. :rolleyes:

Bucky F. Dent
02-04-2009, 08:03 AM

mmmmmm, entrails!:)

itsnotrequired
02-04-2009, 08:36 AM
I've had some serious issues with the people working the concessions to be EXTREMELY slow. I'm not the type who gets angry very often, and I DO NOT expect the speed of a McDonalds drive-thru when I visit a stand at the park. But experiences I have had the last couple of years have been almost a joke with the way some workers take their time and have to pour a beer numerous times because they dont know how.

same here. some of those lines are just painful.

hula
02-04-2009, 09:02 AM
While I did love Best's, Vienna is what I think of for a Chicago dog. I'm glad they kept it local rather than going with a national brand. Now if they'd only add pierogi's to the food offerings to get the real flavor of the city! Maybe they'll have to wait till after AJ retires to name a food stand after him. Can't you just see it now? "Pierzynski's Pierogi's" serving cheese, saurkraut, and onion - please! :D:

Steelrod
02-04-2009, 09:04 AM
Isn't anyone worried about this year's brand of mustard?

XplodingScorbord
02-04-2009, 09:11 AM
I suggest Plochman's.

doublem23
02-04-2009, 09:34 AM
While I did love Best's, Vienna is what I think of for a Chicago dog. I'm glad they kept it local rather than going with a national brand. Now if they'd only add pierogi's to the food offerings to get the real flavor of the city! Maybe they'll have to wait till after AJ retires to name a food stand after him. Can't you just see it now? "Pierzynski's Pierogi's" serving cheese, saurkraut, and onion - please! :D:

I need to stop reading this thread when I'm so far removed from lunch.

gsang
02-05-2009, 06:26 PM
I know they don't hold a candle to beat kosher, but would Hebrew national be a viable replacement-same size and solid kosher dog. Also, if it's just Vienna, do we know if it's going to be the jumbo dogs? Cause a kosher dog is a nice size, and if it's those weak vienna smaller dogs, tears will fall

BleacherBandit
02-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Who's gonna provide the Brauts? That's my favorite food at the Cell. For me, that is the real question.

anewman35
02-05-2009, 07:08 PM
I know they don't hold a candle to beat kosher, but would Hebrew national be a viable replacement-same size and solid kosher dog. Also, if it's just Vienna, do we know if it's going to be the jumbo dogs? Cause a kosher dog is a nice size, and if it's those weak vienna smaller dogs, tears will fall

We don't know anything, really. I kinda doubt we'll know anything until opening day. This isn't the kind of thing that usually gets a press release or anything.

Law11
03-13-2009, 11:03 AM
Who's gonna provide the Brauts? That's my favorite food at the Cell. For me, that is the real question.

The Brats are still Hillshire Farm (Sara Lee) no change there. SL just quit the Kosher business.

Chez
03-13-2009, 11:20 AM
There's an article in today's Sun Times about the switch to Vienna at the Cell. The guy quoted in the article (President of Vienna) is an old college roomate and friend of mine -- huge Cub fan; but a great guy nonetheless. I talked to him today about "the hot dog situation." Vienna will be selling their jumbo dogs in the park at the grilling stations on the concourses, at the concession stands and by the vendors.

guillen4life13
03-13-2009, 12:04 PM
Maxwell St. should do the Cell's dog/burger concessions.

whitesox901
03-13-2009, 12:17 PM
damn, this thread is making me hungry

Frontman
03-14-2009, 11:50 PM
Isn't anyone worried about this year's brand of mustard?

No, not really. Mustard is not a 4th or 5th starter condiment. Mustard is at least a 3; which we already have Danks.....

bunty_doghunter
03-15-2009, 05:46 AM
'I believe I said that hot dogs were lips and *******s!'
So my wife is a hot dog?

LongLiveFisk
03-15-2009, 09:51 AM
Doesn't matter to me as long as they taste GOOD. :cool:

WHILEPITCH
03-15-2009, 11:48 AM
i wish somehow Hot Dougs could get the hotdog deal