PDA

View Full Version : Crede to the Twins?

SBSoxFan
01-29-2009, 10:33 AM
Joe Cowley was on Mully and Hanley on 670AM Chicago yesterday morning. He said the Twins are talking to Crede about a deal. M&H questioned the logic of a guy with a (very) bad back playing on that turf. Cowley said the Twins believe they'll be able to rest Crede enough to keep him healthy by allowing him to DH and because they have a couple other guys to play 3B.

I'd hate to see any significant Sox player go to the Twins; however, as a Sox Fan, Crede at DH doesn't sound like a very strong position for the competition.

Rocky Soprano
01-29-2009, 11:02 AM
One of my favorite players on the team that I hate the most. :whiner:

Over By There
01-29-2009, 11:06 AM
I'd hate to see Joe in a Twins uniform, but since my gut says that his back is going to limit his productivity for the rest of his career, I guess I shouldn't mind seeing him go to a division rival.

esbrechtel
01-29-2009, 11:07 AM

same here....***....I was really hoping for a NL team to pick him up

Gammons Peter
01-29-2009, 11:27 AM
Cowley has no idea what he is talking about. In the same interview he suggested the Sox could still sign Freddy Garcia.

CashMan
01-29-2009, 11:41 AM
Cowley has no idea what he is talking about. In the same interview he suggested the Sox could still sign Freddy Garcia.

I heard they stopped talks with Gagne, perhaps they are turning their attention to Crede?

sox1970
01-29-2009, 11:46 AM

I heard that too. :o:

Unless Cowley was out of the country for the last week, he should have known that.

GoGoCrede
01-29-2009, 11:52 AM

My thoughts exactly. :whiner: On the other hand, it's Joe Cowley, who is not exactly the most reliable source.

I heard that too. :o:

Unless Cowley was out of the country for the last week, he should have known that.

Hell, I'M out of the country and even I know Freddy got signed already.

wulfy
02-04-2009, 11:25 AM
An update on the Crede to the Twins possibility:

http://blogs2.startribune.com/blogs/christensen/2009/02/03/for-the-twins-the-washburn-ship-has-sailed/

Looks like there is still interest.

KenBerryGrab
02-04-2009, 11:46 AM
C'mon, Giants!

jabrch
02-04-2009, 12:16 PM
Is there anyone with more access to the Sox and less credibility than Cowley?

kittle42
02-04-2009, 12:22 PM

I'm beginning to think he gets his information directly from a guy who heard Williams on a cell phone at the airport.

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-04-2009, 12:23 PM

Timberwolf.

pmck003
02-04-2009, 12:31 PM
Gotta have a "Say it ain't so, Joe"

soxinem1
02-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Joe Cowley was on Mully and Hanley on 670AM Chicago yesterday morning. He said the Twins are talking to Crede about a deal. M&H questioned the logic of a guy with a (very) bad back playing on that turf. Cowley said the Twins believe they'll be able to rest Crede enough to keep him healthy by allowing him to DH and because they have a couple other guys to play 3B.

I'd hate to see any significant Sox player go to the Twins; however, as a Sox Fan, Crede at DH doesn't sound like a very strong position for the competition.

I thought the new park is going to have grass?

Marqhead
02-04-2009, 12:57 PM
I thought the new park is going to have grass?

It is, but they play in the baggie dome this year. That's 70-80 games on turf for Crede who has had major back problems. Even though it's only 1 year, it could be long enough to have a lasting effect.

Chez
02-04-2009, 01:00 PM
The thought of Joe Crede wearing a Twins uniform is ruining my afternoon.

LoveYourSuit
02-04-2009, 01:10 PM

So they are going to over-pay for an expensive DH?

Makes no sense. Anyone signing Crede needs to make sure he can play 3B 95% of the time. If he is going to DH, they should spend much less for a guy like Dunn, Big Hurt, etc.

oeo
02-04-2009, 01:19 PM

Makes no sense. Anyone signing Crede needs to make sure he can play 3B 95% of the time. If he is going to DH, they should spend much less for a guy like Dunn, Big Hurt, etc.

In what universe is Crede going to get more money than Dunn (probably even Frank). Crede isn't getting his big payday, and he's not even going to come close.

Jim Shorts
02-04-2009, 01:38 PM

Keep in mind, it's a quote from Cowley.

I'm just sayin'

soxinem1
02-04-2009, 02:12 PM
It is, but they play in the baggie dome this year. That's 70-80 games on turf for Crede who has had major back problems. Even though it's only 1 year, it could be long enough to have a lasting effect.

Shows how much I pay attention. I thought they moved into Target Mausoleum this year.

SoxGirl4Life
02-04-2009, 02:14 PM
Shows how much I pay attention. I thought they moved into Target Mausoleum this year.
Are you kidding? I've been counting down the DeathDome's demise since September 26th

ChiSoxFan81
02-04-2009, 02:15 PM

I'm still incredulous that they didn't build a retractible roof stadium. They are likely going to have alot of issues like the Indians did a couple years ago when their whole series against Seattle got snowed out.

Marqhead
02-04-2009, 02:35 PM
Are you kidding? I've been counting down the DeathDome's demise since September 26th

9 more games :bandance:

asindc
02-04-2009, 02:42 PM
I'm still incredulous that they didn't build a retractible roof stadium. They are likely going to have alot of issues like the Indians did a couple years ago when their whole series against Seattle got snowed out.

Exactly. They could average 3-5 snow outs a year.

esbrechtel
02-04-2009, 02:46 PM
Exactly. They could average 3-5 snow outs a year.

Doesn't it also rain alot?

Nellie_Fox
02-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Doesn't it also rain a lot?No more than anywhere else in the upper midwest.

Somehow they managed with an outdoor park at the old Metropolitan Stadium. A retractable roof would have cost more than anyone was willing to pay (particularly the taxpayers of a relatively small state.)

doublem23
02-04-2009, 05:26 PM
Somehow they managed with an outdoor park at the old Metropolitan Stadium. A retractable roof would have cost more than anyone was willing to pay (particularly the taxpayers of a relatively small state.)

It's hilarious to watch all these people whine over something totally lame like a retractable roof while completely ignoring where the money is supposed to come from.

asindc
02-04-2009, 07:05 PM
It's hilarious to watch all these people whine over something totally lame like a retractable roof while completely ignoring where the money is supposed to come from.

The owners' bank accounts.

KenBerryGrab
02-04-2009, 08:33 PM
Somehow they managed with an outdoor park at the old Metropolitan Stadium.

Agreed.

It might toughen them up.

There is nothing worse than, on a beautiful July night for baseball, having your ears pop in the dankness of the Metrodome. And having been in Miller Park, day games don't feel quite the same in those huge rolling-roof jobs.

Frater Perdurabo
02-04-2009, 08:35 PM

No doubt. Pohlad could have written a check for the whole thing. Not just a retractable roof, but the whole stadium plus retractable roof.

Craig Grebeck
02-04-2009, 09:06 PM
The climate in Minneapolis is not much different than the climate in Chicago (during baseball season).

BleacherBandit
02-04-2009, 09:14 PM

Pohlad was arguing about paying for the whole thing before there even was a reccession.

doublem23
02-04-2009, 09:23 PM

A ballpark built in America with private money? Surely, you jest.

DirtySox
02-07-2009, 08:04 PM
http://cbs5.com/sports/joe.crede.offer.2.929605.html

Giants offer contract to Crede.

It's Dankerific
02-07-2009, 08:07 PM
PLEASE go to Giants instead.

You have to think being able to hang out with Rowand would be a BIG +

DSpivack
02-07-2009, 08:28 PM
PLEASE go to Giants instead.

You have to think being able to hang out with Rowand would be a BIG +

Uribe is there, too!

WhiteSoxFan84
02-08-2009, 12:28 AM
Uribe is there, too!

El Duque will follow Crede. 2005 White Sox reunion! :bandance:

SBSoxFan
02-08-2009, 04:39 AM
http://cbs5.com/sports/joe.crede.offer.2.929605.html

Giants offer contract to Crede.

Borass claims Crede is healthy and ready for spring training! That's good enough for me.

Did you catch the Rowand interview? He went on and on about players being in this game to win. Kind of ironic given the state of the Giants when he signed. Perhaps they were interviewing the Legend of Aaron Rowand and not Rowand himself. :D:

DirtySox
02-14-2009, 06:11 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/02/giants-out-on-c.html

Giants are likely out on Crede. The Twins are still a possibility.

sunofgold
02-14-2009, 09:30 PM
I don't think that could be good for a guy with a bad back. He should try to plan in Japan. haha!

GoGoCrede
02-15-2009, 05:01 AM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/02/giants-out-on-c.html

Giants are likely out on Crede. The Twins are still a possibility.

Ugh, not a good thing to wake up to. Seriously, Joe, good luck on that turf. Hurts my back just thinking about it.

Flight #24
02-15-2009, 09:30 AM
IMO, it's hilarious and completely Borass-like to sit there and say "I'll take the 1-yr deal but only at a raise to last year's salary" in a climate where Bobby Abreu takes less than Crede got last year, a year in which he didn't even play much because of injury, and when he's an inferior offensive player to Abreu regardless of health.

soxinem1
02-15-2009, 09:52 AM
I honestly do not see MIN signing Crede for over a couple million guaranteed. Sure they might give him the incentives to get $7-8 million, but not base salary. That would be totally against their history.

And I don't think they are that desperate. Brendan Harris and Brian Buscher are not bad.

Besides, they'll probably bring up someone we never heard of in June that was either acquired as a throw-in from a past trade or from their farm system who will rake .450 against us the rest of his career.

JermaineDye05
02-15-2009, 12:46 PM
It's been said that Crede is "Too rich for the Twins blood."

BadBobbyJenks
02-15-2009, 02:15 PM
7 million with incentives up to 11 million? Is that seriously what Boras is asking for?

WhiteSox5187
02-15-2009, 02:55 PM
7 million with incentives up to 11 million? Is that seriously what Boras is asking for?

Crede has played what? 147 games the past two years? Me thinks that Mr. Boras has lost touch with reality.

Martinigirl
02-15-2009, 03:05 PM
Crede has played what? 147 games the past two years? Me thinks that Mr. Boras has lost touch with reality.

And Joe is clearly not dealing with reality because he keeps Boras as an agent.

russ99
02-15-2009, 06:39 PM

Yep. And he's not going to get it either.

So, what's the over/under on when Crede tells his agent to can it and signs for half that to ensure a major league job this spring? I'll go with March 10th. :D:

The funniest part is he should have taken the Giants offer, since the Twins won't offer very much more and his back is going to have issues playing on that turf for (likely less than) 81 games.

EndemicSox
02-15-2009, 06:57 PM
I wouldn't be shocked if the MLBPA is telling players to hold out at the moment. I'm not sure the union buys the economy is tanking, so settle for less line from the owners. Just a theory...

WHILEPITCH
02-15-2009, 07:48 PM
Crede is gonna look back at his career and realize his choice of agent just pointlessly alienated the only franchise he's ever known.

He gets nothing out of his association with Boras ,really.

With a different agent he could have strung together a few one-years at least here til we had a replacement (or until he had a great offer).

cards press box
02-16-2009, 01:50 AM
Crede is gonna look back at his career and realize his choice of agent just pointlessly alienated the only franchise he's ever known.

With a different agent he could have strung together a few one-years at least here til we had a replacement (or until he had a great offer).

Boras did a good job for Magglio Ordonez because he found the one guy out there willing to bid against himself for Ordonez' services, Tiger owner Mike Illitch. That, I believe, has been the key for Boras: finding guys like Illitch or the Steinbrenners who end up bidding against themselves. Seriously, didn't the Yankees end up bidding against themselves with the latest A-Rod contract? The same may be true with Teixeira, as well.

For a client like Crede, however, Boras' style may not work. Given Crede's health concerns, I cannot see any team bidding against itself for Crede in 2009, especially with the economy tanking.

Steelrod
02-16-2009, 08:04 AM

Boras took from Joe, the most important thing he had, integrity.
Just thinking back to Joe's comments that Chicago's his home and he, not Boras calls the shots!

soltrain21
02-16-2009, 08:14 AM
Boras took from Joe, the most important thing he had, integrity.
Just thinking back to Joe's comments that Chicago's his home and he, not Boras calls the shots!

95% of players lie when they say something like that.

cws05champ
02-16-2009, 09:06 AM
Joe is the type of player(injury prone) who may benefit from sitting out until end of May and then sign. A team would get him for the stretch run, starting to play in warm weather and he may be able to get through June-Oct.

Whitesoxfan23
02-20-2009, 04:26 PM
According to MLBTradeRumors.com, Joe is about to sign with the Twins.

oeo
02-20-2009, 04:33 PM

I'm going to puke seeing him in that uniform.

VenturaFan23
02-20-2009, 04:33 PM

http://www.anaitgames.com/wp-content/darth_vader_nooo.jpeg

Whitesoxfan23
02-20-2009, 04:35 PM

I agree. I hate the Twins worse than any organization in baseball. This makes me ****ing sick.:angry:

ChiSox89
02-20-2009, 04:47 PM
out of all the teams in baseball he had to sign with the twins :angry: i wonder how the crowd will treat him in his first game back at the cell

oeo
02-20-2009, 04:49 PM
out of all the teams in baseball he had to sign with the twins :angry: i wonder how the crowd will treat him in his first game back at the cell

Standing ovation...

Whitesoxfan23
02-20-2009, 04:50 PM
I rather him sign with the Cubs than the stupid ass Twins.

oeo
02-20-2009, 04:51 PM
I rather him sign with the Cubs than the stupid ass Twins.

Unless his back magically heals itself, he doesn't have much baseball left, anyway. Just going to suck seeing him in that Twins uniform for a little bit.

PaleHoser
02-20-2009, 05:09 PM

If true it won't bother me a bit. Third basemen with bad backs have a short shelf life, and it will be nice to see the Twins eat his contract when he goes on the DL again.

oeo
02-20-2009, 05:11 PM
If true it won't bother me a bit. Third basemen with bad backs have a short shelf life, and it will be nice to see the Twins eat his contract when he goes on the DL again.

I really can't believe the Twins of all teams are going to guarantee him $7 million. The Twins usually make these moves for small, one year deals so they can cut the guy in July. So IMO, either that's off, or this is just a ploy by Boras to drive his price up for another team.

WhiteSox1989
02-20-2009, 05:13 PM
Standing ovation...

I hope so.

oeo
02-20-2009, 05:15 PM
I hope so.

Crede was a fan favorite who was a huge part of the World Series team. Of course he's going to get a thank you.

veeter
02-20-2009, 05:16 PM
Joe Crede on astro-turf makes absolutely no sense. I agree that he won't last long. I love Joe, but at this stage, Viciedo will dwarf his abilities. And I'd be willing to bet Josh will even give us more.

WhiteSox1989
02-20-2009, 05:17 PM
Crede was a fan favorite who was a huge part of the World Series team. Of course he's going to get a thank you.
And I hope that happens.

oeo
02-20-2009, 05:18 PM
And I hope that happens.

You don't have to hope, it will. :D:

PeoriaSoxFan
02-20-2009, 09:31 PM
This totally sucks ass. I want to throw up.

UofCSoxFan
02-20-2009, 09:35 PM
Trib is reporting it's a done deal.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-21-joe-crede-newfeb21,0,6975867.story

The guy was the rightful MVP of the World Series. I'm not going to fault him for getting paid. Good luck in the future, against everyone but us.

Whitesoxfan23
02-20-2009, 09:52 PM
I can't wish him luck against other teams. He could help the Twins win quite a few games.

ChiSoxGirl
02-20-2009, 10:00 PM

I agree. I hate the Twins worse than any organization in baseball. This makes me ****ing sick.:angry:

This totally sucks ass. I want to throw up.

AGREED!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: However, I think I wanna be there for his first game back on the south side, which is April 10.

Rocky Soprano
02-20-2009, 10:09 PM
I love Joe Crede, always will. This is a very sad day for me. I hate the Twins more than any team in any sport! I wish nothing but the best for Joe. Thanks for the ring!

Ziggy S
02-20-2009, 10:16 PM
Boras did a good job for Magglio Ordonez because he found the one guy out there willing to bid against himself for Ordonez' services, Tiger owner Mike Illitch. That, I believe, has been the key for Boras: finding guys like Illitch or the Steinbrenners who end up bidding against themselves. Seriously, didn't the Yankees end up bidding against themselves with the latest A-Rod contract? The same may be true with Teixeira, as well.

For a client like Crede, however, Boras' style may not work. Given Crede's health concerns, I cannot see any team bidding against itself for Crede in 2009, especially with the economy tanking.

I'd still rather have Crede than A-Rod. When healthy he's more clutch, a better teammate, and a hard working guy. Plus, he's got one more ring than A-Rod.

DumpJerry
02-20-2009, 10:28 PM
Continue here (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=109602).