PDA

View Full Version : Video of Old Comiskey Park

tebman
01-29-2009, 08:04 AM
Prowling YouTube last night I came across three videos at this YouTube site (http://www.youtube.com/user/brokertothestars) that total about 25 minutes of going to Comiskey Park in September of 1990. They were just posted in the last couple of days -- maybe this guy found a box of old tapes in his basement and realized what he had.

Check it out. They give a great you-are-there feeling of the place.

soxfan21
01-29-2009, 08:55 AM
Pretty cool stuff, I faintly remember th only game I went to at old Comiskey, so this was a nice look back on things, thanks.

Dibbs
01-29-2009, 09:10 AM
Wow that is awesome. I have been wanting to see concourse footage for a while now. Thanks!

skobabe8
01-29-2009, 10:04 AM
This guy really did a nice job! I watched pt. 1 and I am 1/2 way thru part 2 and I gotta hand it to this guy.

-He narrates just enough, but not too much.
-He has cool shots of Andy T. Clown, the players, the pregame, and the fireworks after a HR.
-His wife seems fairly miserable, and he could not care less.
-Nancy provides the soundtrack.
-Shots of the concourse in pt.2 are pretty cool. He says at one point "There's the Mexican food" and he pans over to a concession stand with a sign hanging over it that says simply "Mexican Food." I dont know why I found that funny, I guess I'm just used to concession stands having cute names today.
-Also, notice the exposed, unpainted brick while they walk the concourse. Just a glimpse of what the place looked like under all of that white paint.

sox1970
01-29-2009, 10:12 AM
This guy really did a nice job! I watched pt. 1 and I am 1/2 way thru part 2 and I gotta hand it to this guy.

-He narrates just enough, but not too much.
-He has cool shots of Andy T. Clown, the players, the pregame, and the fireworks after a HR.
-His wife seems fairly miserable, and he could not care less.
-Nancy provides the soundtrack.
-Shots of the concourse in pt.2 are pretty cool. He says at one point "There's the Mexican food" and he pans over to a concession stand with a sign hanging over it that says simply "Mexican Food." I dont know why I found that funny, I guess I'm just used to concession stands having cute names today.
-Also, notice the exposed, unpainted brick while they walk the concourse. Just a glimpse of what the place looked like under all of that white paint.

I laughed at that too. Very cool videos.

Also reminds me of how out of date that place was. It was a great old park, but it was time to go.

Huisj
01-29-2009, 10:14 AM
How cool is it to see the footage of Alex Fernandez pitching, and Ventura fielding a chopper and throwing it over to Frank Thomas at first? And then watching Thomas' smooth young stroke put one up through the middle for a base hit?

That must have been this game, (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA199009130.shtml) on Sept. 13 again Boston I think. Was that Calderon who hits the homer toward the end of the first video?

sox1970
01-29-2009, 10:20 AM
How cool is it to see the footage of Alex Fernandez pitching, and Ventura fielding a chopper and throwing it over to Frank Thomas at first? And then watching Thomas' smooth young stroke put one up through the middle for a base hit?

That must have been this game, (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA199009130.shtml) on Sept. 13 again Boston I think. Was that Calderon who hits the homer toward the end of the first video?

Yes, it was.

roylestillman
01-29-2009, 10:24 AM
Is that the same vendor yelling "Hot Dog" that we here today?

Thome25
01-29-2009, 10:39 AM
GREAT video.....THANKS for sharing!! It definitely gives you a "you are there feel". One of the things I regret as a White Sox fan is that I never got a chance to go to Old Comiskey Park.

I was a kid in 1990 and my dad was never the type who would have a father and son moment and take me to a ballgame.

I got to go to the new park in 1991 when it first opened with a friend and his family. (they played the Yankees.) The old park was still standing for the most part and I'll never forget looking at the field through a gaping hole in the wall in right field up against a a chain link fence, wishing that I had gotten the chance to watch a ballgame in the grand old place.

A couple of obsevations from this video....The ballpark had a very cozy feel to it. For those of you who actually got to go there, was it really as cozy as it seemed in this video?

The Cell is a beautiful ballpark and I love it....but after watching this video, it just seems like Old Comiskey park is the true home of the White Sox and it doesn't get any better than that for them. It's practically where they spent their entire lives as a franchise and they just belong there. You can feel the ghosts of White Sox past in that place......even in that video.

I felt myself thinking about the 1917 Sox, Shoeless Joe, The 1959 Sox and all the rest of the history of that place and those White Sox teams. You can just feel it. Was it like that when you were actually there? Or was it even better?

Seeing the new ballpark rising up from inside the old park made me think, When the old park was planned, and designed, built, and opened it didn't get any better than that. The people who were there back then couldn't and wouldn't have envisioned a time when a new park would've been rising up across the street and their grand old ballpark would be closing.

One other thing: The White Sox absolutely need to go back to playing more Nancy at games just like they did in this video.

skobabe8
01-29-2009, 10:49 AM
Part 3 is REALLY cool.

At about the 2:15 mark they go up to the catwalk next to the scoreboard.
3:37 - A nice shot of the city skyline and Armour Park.
4:00 - They find themselves in the last row in the LF corner, where there appears to be 2 rows where the seats have been removed and bare concrete remains.
4:08 - She takes the camera and points it at him, and to me he resembles a young Tom Hanks for some reason. Especially when he claps. :?:?
5:09 - She shoots a broken seat resting up against a wall.
5:26 - They record a guy watching the game thru either a telescope or the scope of an assault rifle. :scratch:
6:21 - One on one with NANCY!! :bandance:
7:32 - They play the attendance game! And guess what?? The highest number is incorrect!!!

Finally, a mysterious twist at the end.

thomas35forever
01-29-2009, 11:28 AM
FuzzyMemories.TV has a special that aired on the old ETC that was taped during the last game.
http://www.fuzzymemories.tv/screen.php?c=1192&m=comiskey%20park&p=1

tebman
01-29-2009, 11:31 AM
GREAT video.....THANKS for sharing!! It definitely gives you a "you are there feel". One of the things I regret as a White Sox fan is that I never got a chance to go to Old Comiskey Park.

I was a kid in 1990 and my dad was never the type who would have a father and son moment and take me to a ballgame.

I got to go to the new park in 1991 when it first opened with a friend and his family. (they played the Yankees.) The old park was still standing for the most part and I'll never forget looking at the field through a gaping hole in the wall in right field up against a a chain link fence, wishing that I had gotten the chance to watch a ballgame in the grand old place.

A couple of obsevations from this video....The ballpark had a very cozy feel to it. For those of you who actually got to go there, was it really as cozy as it seemed in this video?

The Cell is a beautiful ballpark and I love it....but after watching this video, it just seems like Old Comiskey park is the true home of the White Sox and it doesn't get any better than that for them. It's practically where they spent their entire lives as a franchise and they just belong there. You can feel the ghosts of White Sox past in that place......even in that video.

I felt myself thinking about the 1917 Sox, Shoeless Joe, The 1959 Sox and all the rest of the history of that place and those White Sox teams. You can just feel it. Was it like that when you were actually there? Or was it even better?

Seeing the new ballpark rising up from inside the old park made me think, When the old park was planned, and designed, built, and opened it didn't get any better than that. The people who were there back then couldn't and wouldn't have envisioned a time when a new park would've been rising up across the street and their grand old ballpark would be closing.

One other thing: The White Sox absolutely need to go back to playing more Nancy at games just like they did in this video.

I knew when I found these on YouTube last night that I needed to get them on here so more people would find them. I'm old enough to have spent time in the old ballpark from the '60s through the '80s so it was a real kick to see these.

"Cozy" is a good word, but "comfortable" is what I would call it. The place was old and had the character that a building can only get with age. The best parts of these videos are being under the stands, in the picnic area, in the bleachers, behind the scoreboard, and in the upper deck seats. That's how you catch the feel of it. It was full of corners and crannies that made it feel cozy and comfortable even when it had 40,000 people in it.

I remember the sound of it. The ballpark was concrete and steel and because of the wraparound upper deck it had its own acoustic quality that you get a sense of in these videos. It had a characteristic smell too, mostly of beer, hot dogs, and cigars -- that was also part of what made it comfortable. I always felt like I was at a friend's party when I went to a game.

The whole place was old-school, which made it very easy to see Joe Jackson or Luke Appling or Babe Ruth on the field next to Frank Thomas. There was a tangible connection to the previous 80 years. And yes, Nancy is the goods!

Those were great nights. The ballpark really had reached the end of its life by that point, and I miss it, but it's okay. After 18 years I can see lines of character seeping into USCF too. I hope that years from now somebody keeps a similar record of USCF before the next ballpark comes along.

Jim Shorts
01-29-2009, 11:41 AM
I knew when I found these on YouTube last night that I needed to get them on here so more people would find them. I'm old enough to have spent time in the old ballpark from the '60s through the '80s so it was a real kick to see these.

"Cozy" is a good word, but "comfortable" is what I would call it. The place was old and had the character that a building can only get with age. The best parts of these videos are being under the stands, in the picnic area, in the bleachers, behind the scoreboard, and in the upper deck seats. That's how you catch the feel of it. It was full of corners and crannies that made it feel cozy and comfortable even when it had 40,000 people in it.

I remember the sound of it. The ballpark was concrete and steel and because of the wraparound upper deck it had its own acoustic quality that you get a sense of in these videos. It had a characteristic smell too, mostly of beer, hot dogs, and cigars -- that was also part of what made it comfortable. I always felt like I was at a friend's party when I went to a game.

The whole place was old-school, which made it very easy to see Joe Jackson or Luke Appling or Babe Ruth on the field next to Frank Thomas. There was a tangible connection to the previous 80 years. And yes, Nancy is the goods!

Those were great nights. The ballpark really had reached the end of its life by that point, and I miss it, but it's okay. After 18 years I can see lines of character seeping into USCF too. I hope that years from now somebody keeps a similar record of USCF before the next ballpark comes along.

That was a well said summary of your experience at Comiskey. I agree with all of it. I really miss that place a lot.

Another thing to note is that times were really different then. When I was a kid, my folks had no problem with me roaming the park on my own and letting me discover what great place it really was. Can't do that today for both reasons of society/safety and it's not allowed.

C-Dawg
01-29-2009, 11:45 AM
Great set of videos! Great find!

I will forever kick myself for never taking a camera (any camera, still or video) into the old place. I had the great idea to bring one to my first game in the new park (Game #2 of the 1991 season) but never brought one to the old place. Videos like these help fill the gap.

DaveIsHere
01-29-2009, 11:53 AM
Did anyone catch in the first video when he pans to his wife and ask if she is having a good time, she says she is, and tell her "It looks like It."

She then replies "I haven't had a shot and a beer yet":D:

DSpivack
01-29-2009, 12:02 PM
That was a well said summary of your experience at Comiskey. I agree with all of it. I really miss that place a lot.

Another thing to note is that times were really different then. When I was a kid, my folks had no problem with me roaming the park on my own and letting me discover what great place it really was. Can't do that today for both reasons of society/safety and it's not allowed.

Don't want to get into politics, but it was a heck of a lot more dangerous 25/30 years ago than today.

Jim Shorts
01-29-2009, 12:13 PM
Don't want to get into politics, but it was a heck of a lot more dangerous 25/30 years ago than today.

whatever...

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-29-2009, 12:20 PM
Those videos were great! I remember walking through there in the 1990 season, and feeling excited about the new park...watching these makes you miss the old place. Being an Andy Frain also gave you access to different areas as well...used to love to seat flip at the end of game. You could find serious $$ there, especially in the golden box sections.

Thome25 - it was cozy....it was home for 80 years. But, as others have said, it was time to go. You can always do "what if?" - if the $$ had been spent to keep the place up....etc etc etc...

And I also was one of those kids who was allowed to literally disappear in the park with $5....I think I walked around the park 4x in one game when I was 6 or 7. Times are different now.

Great finds!!

house215
01-29-2009, 12:30 PM
Thank you for sharing this. I was born in 1984 and my memories of old Comiskey are very blurry.

One thing I noticed on pt. 1, around 5:00 into the video he pans the scoreboard and they have an ad for "Scott Petersen. The Official Hot Dog of the Chicago White Sox." I have never even heard of these dogs.

ChicagoRushFan
01-29-2009, 12:44 PM
Know what strikes me most about the videos? How quiet it is. All you hear is mostly Nancy. I understand the realities of modern pro sports with videos/scoreboard animations/music/etc. but it just really did have a different feel and I don't think it was only because of the ballpark.

I too went to my first Sox game the first year of the new park so it was very nice to see that footage, kinda puts some pieces together for me.

PaleHoser
01-29-2009, 12:49 PM
Nice find!

I swear I can smell the food when they're walking the concourse. Good times there.

pistolesatdawn
01-29-2009, 01:29 PM
. . . It had a characteristic smell too, mostly of beer, hot dogs, and cigars. . .

This was the first thing I noticed when I went to my first game and still my favorite memory of that day.

whitesox901
01-29-2009, 01:32 PM
these are awesome, I would love to go back in time and attend a game at Old Comiskey in the late 70's through the 80's period

Bucky F. Dent
01-29-2009, 01:55 PM
Great videos. My goodness I miss that place!

Those great arches.

The color of the yellow piping in between the green seats.

The tremendous sounds that echoed through there, from Nancy, to Harry, to the roar of the crowd, to the explosion of the fireworks.

An interesting reaction, though, I have always had something of an irrational anger about the fact that Comiskey was torn down and not refurbished. But watching that video and looking at how narrow those concourses are you can tell, it was time to move on to a new place.

USCF is a good park, and it is becoming the true home of the Sox, but there will only ever be one Comiskey.

WhiteSox5187
01-29-2009, 03:50 PM
My very first game was the last night at Old Comiskey. Just such a beautiful park. USCF is a very nice place to watch a game and they've done a hell of a job making it into what it is today, but it can't hold a candle to Old Comiskey. I am kind of curious as to what the life span of the new ball park will be as it is soon to be 20 years old and it seems like the average life span of a park is about 30-40 years old these days. If we get a new park, which might not happen for another 40 years, I hope that they make it look more like the old one.

kba
01-29-2009, 04:26 PM
It's kind of bizarre that the video shows Ozzie bringing out the line-ups before this game. Did Torborg have him do it a lot?

sox1970
01-29-2009, 04:51 PM
It's kind of bizarre that the video shows Ozzie bringing out the line-ups before this game. Did Torborg have him do it a lot?

Yes, he and Fisk were captains. I think Ozzie brought it out the majority of the time.

PKalltheway
01-29-2009, 06:06 PM
Absolutely great videos! Even though I never had the opportunitiy of going there (even if I did, I wouldn't be able to remember it), I felt like I was there.

I loved the video shots of the arches. Man, did those things look ancient! That looked like a really fun place to watch a game.

LITTLE NELL
01-29-2009, 06:09 PM
Comiskey was my home away from home starting in 1955, so many memories. In the 60s Saturday nights were date nights but Friday nights was a Sox game with the guys sitting in the upper deck in LF for $1.50. My last game there was the next night after this guys video, we beat the BoSox 4-0 on Fri. Sept 14.

VeeckAsInWreck
02-03-2009, 10:19 AM
I know that Gene Honda was the P.A. announcer that season but clearly it was not Gene at this game. Anyone know who that was? :scratch:

Otherwise these are some freakin' sweet videos. :thumbsup:

KenBerryGrab
02-03-2009, 11:11 AM
My very first game was the last night at Old Comiskey. Just such a beautiful park.

That was a spine-tingling night, for sure. The audio chosen to accompany the last fireworks show was so cool.

I normally don't have much stomach for John Mellencamp, but hearing "Tumbling Down" with the fireworks blazing overhead knowing this was the last such show at the yard had me teary-eyed.

Thome25
02-03-2009, 11:25 AM
I saved these videos to my list of favorites in internet explorer.:thumbsup: THANKS AGAIN to the OP.

Region Rat
02-03-2009, 01:23 PM
Wow, great video. I went to a couple games at the old park, but Im 24 so the only memories of the place come from a picture of me and my lil bro with Andy the Clown.
Watching that video makes me wish everday at the new park was "Nothing but Nacy Day"

WhiteSox5187
02-03-2009, 02:24 PM
I know that Gene Honda was the P.A. announcer that season but clearly it was not Gene at this game. Anyone know who that was? :scratch:

Otherwise these are some freakin' sweet videos. :thumbsup:
Actually, I think that Gene Honda only did the Turn Back the Clock night in 1990. I don't know who did it other wise.