PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie Guillen Interview

Lip Man 1
01-28-2009, 08:21 PM
Programming Note.

Ozzie will be interviewed in studio on Thursday for Chicago Tribune Live!

I'm sure Dave Kaplan will somehow work the interview around to the Cubs off season moves.

Lip

TheCommander
01-28-2009, 08:28 PM
Programming Note.

Ozzie will be interviewed in studio on Thursday for Chicago Tribune Live!

I'm sure Dave Kaplan will somehow work the interview around to the Cubs off season moves.

Lip

Damn! When I saw the topic and who started it,I was hoping you landed a WSI Exclusive. Someday!

Lip Man 1
01-28-2009, 10:52 PM
Commander:

Give me time sir...give me time!

LOL

By the way I'm already in the process of putting together the next one. Spoke with the subject last Friday and am now retyping the interview for WSI.

Lip

BainesHOF
01-29-2009, 04:47 AM

He's brutal.

oeo
01-29-2009, 09:03 AM

http://www.wgnradio.com/shows/sp_central/photos/kaplan2006-200w.jpg
So Ozzie, what do you think about Peavy to the Cubs?

:ozzie
**** dee Cubs.

And that ends that.

tebman
01-29-2009, 09:22 AM
http://www.wgnradio.com/shows/sp_central/photos/kaplan2006-200w.jpg
So Ozzie, what do you think about Peavy to the Cubs?

:ozzie
**** dee Cubs.

And that ends that.

:rolling:

chisoxfanatic
01-29-2009, 07:38 PM
I got home from work in the middle of the interview; but, what I did hear didn't have much information that I didn't already know. Ozzie did state that fans shouldn't worry about them starting so many "kids," because they could very well excel like TCQ and TCM did.

EuroSox35
01-29-2009, 09:51 PM
Saw it, the woman (don't remember her name) asked that idiotic question if having Lou in town and having some attention on him took pressure on Ozzie. Of course he said no, and said some stuff about Lou gets away with stuff anyways since he's much nicer to the media (in terms of not denying interviews or berating anyone for a question), and the next Sportsnite commercial already teased that part as 'Ozzie vs Lou!' and more Sox talking about the Cubs crap. Gee, there's a big thank you for taking time to come talk in studio...

EuroSox35
01-29-2009, 09:56 PM
Some other notes, they were talking about fundamentals, and Ozzie requested a field in the new Glendale facility specifically for bunting, and was saying he thinks we'd be the only team that has one anymore (to talk about widespread fundamental issues), he wants to start teaching it from the lowest minor league level and that it's not the player's fault, but the coaches/organization fault

Other stuff was just about his style, honesty, how blunt he is with he's player and how they hear things from him before the media hears anything. Also, to people complaining about being too young, don't forget we still have Konerko, Thome, Dye, Ramirez, Quentin, etc

oeo
01-29-2009, 10:09 PM
Some other notes, they were talking about fundamentals, and Ozzie requested a field in the new Glendale facility specifically for bunting, and was saying he thinks we'd be the only team that has one anymore (to talk about widespread fundamental issues), he wants to start teaching it from the lowest minor league level and that it's not the player's fault, but the coaches/organization fault

Yeah, didn't they already higher a minor league bunting coach? :lol:

Tragg
01-29-2009, 11:26 PM
Some other notes, they were talking about fundamentals, and Ozzie requested a field in the new Glendale facility specifically for bunting,
Wonderful
Making intentional outs and getting those runners to 2nd so that TCQ's homer can drive them in is key.

FedEx227
01-29-2009, 11:38 PM
My thoughts exactly. Give Ozzie some people that can actually bunt and we'll be bunting at the stupidest times during the game. We have so many other fundamental flaws in this organization, bunting is the least of my worries.

I'd rather we have a "Go Opposite Field" Field.

I'm thinking just have a giant brick wall between 3B and SS.

Tragg
01-30-2009, 12:07 AM
If we had a team that was lock-down defensively and on the mound and needed 3, maybe 4 runs to win most games, then bunting could be a part of the puzzle.

Otherwise, Guillen should be thinking about bunting in late innings of tie games and at various other times trying for singles, not sacrifices.

If he's going to start this nonsense of sacrifice bunting the 2 hole hitter when the leadoff hitter gets on base, we can welcome back 2007's offense - the lowest run scoring team in mlb.

fusillirob1983
01-30-2009, 01:07 PM
If we had a team that was lock-down defensively and on the mound and needed 3, maybe 4 runs to win most games, then bunting could be a part of the puzzle.

Otherwise, Guillen should be thinking about bunting in late innings of tie games and at various other times trying for singles, not sacrifices.

If he's going to start this nonsense of sacrifice bunting the 2 hole hitter when the leadoff hitter gets on base, we can welcome back 2007's offense - the lowest run scoring team in mlb.

Hey now, a fair comparison to 2007 would require the lead-off hitter to not get on base.

Lip Man 1
01-30-2009, 01:27 PM
Speaking of lead off hitter.

According to Ozzie as speaking to the Sun-Times on Friday, if the season opened today, his leadoff man vs. right handers would be either Owens or Wise. Vs. left handers "probably" Lillibridge.

He also spoke very highly of Wise saying that in the biggest twenty games of last season, he was the starting center fielder.

I don't know what to say although "uh-oh" and "yikes" immediately come to mind about the entire leadoff / center field situation.

Lip

BadBobbyJenks
01-30-2009, 01:29 PM

According to Ozzie as speaking to the Sun-Times on Friday, if the season opened today, his leadoff man vs. right handers would be either Owens or Wise. Vs. left handers "probably" Lillibridge.

He also spoke very highly of Wise saying that in the biggest twenty games of last season, he was the starting center fielder.

I don't know what to say although "uh-oh" and "yikes" immediately come to mind about the entire leadoff / center field situation.

Lip

Shoot me in the head.

Lip Man 1
01-30-2009, 01:48 PM
Tragg (and others):

Remember we've heard the same stuff from Ozzie every spring since 2006 haven't we?

Yet when push comes to shove, these guys can't bunt, hit the other way to advance runners, execute the hit and run or get guys home from 3rd with less then two out on a regular basis.

It's home run or nothing...period.

Personally I'm sick of it but that's just me. If I were you I wouldn't worry over things like bunting. The Sox can't seem to do it anyway by June it'll be disregarded like it has been every year since 2006.

Lip

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-30-2009, 01:50 PM
I'd rather we have a "Go Opposite Field" Field.

Ozzie should fine any player who doesn't hit opposite field $500. Like closing right field when we were kids because you didn't have enough OF's.

Jim Shorts
01-30-2009, 02:03 PM
Is Ozzie going to have a special field where pitchers can/will learn to plunk opposing players when ordered?

That's a serious fundamental flaw that spans several years now.

kevin57
01-30-2009, 10:09 PM
Remember we've heard the same stuff from Ozzie every spring since 2006 haven't we?

Yet when push comes to shove, these guys can't bunt, hit the other way to advance runners, execute the hit and run or get guys home from 3rd with less then two out on a regular basis.

Personally I'm sick of it but that's just me. If I were you I wouldn't worry over things like bunting. The Sox can't seem to do it anyway by June it'll be disregarded like it has been every year since 2006.

Amen!

TheOzziePlan
01-30-2009, 11:35 PM
Tragg (and others):

Lip

Dead on. Every spring there's going to be a "Return to Ozzieball" but every June it's the home run derby at The Cell. The question is whether the onus is on Greg Walker. I'm not sure if it's his fault or if hitters just get home run happy at the launching pad known as The Cell. I remember Hawk talking once about teams having separate contact and power hitting coaches. Interesting concept...

Noneck
01-30-2009, 11:52 PM

Lip
I agree with you but lets not overlook other important fundamentals that have been ignored.
Run downs, hitting cut off men and pitchers holding runners.

Lip Man 1
01-31-2009, 01:02 PM
Great point!

Ozzie seems to go off about that every season too yet nothing ever changes does it? Maybe because according to Ozzie (see Sox Fest thread) it's not the job of the Sox coaches to teach at the big league level.

Well if that's true and I understand where Ozzie is coming from on this, then the organization is in deep ****, since the minor league system couldn't coach Little Leaguers based on what has been coming up to the big club and how they have been performing.

One other note, the Sun-Times quoted Kenny as saying he "should have fired Schaeffer sooner..." As in Duane Schaeffer the former head of the farm system.

Like I said about Kenny when he screws up, he admits it, then doesn't make the same mistake again (see 2007 bullpen)

Lip

CashMan
01-31-2009, 01:46 PM

Lip

I swear to God, if Wise is anything more than a 4th or 5th OFer, I will not watch the Sox this year!

jabrch
01-31-2009, 03:21 PM
I swear to God, if Wise is anything more than a 4th or 5th OFer, I will not watch the Sox this year!

Is that a threat or a promise?

JB98
01-31-2009, 03:27 PM

Lip

I thought Ken Griffey Jr. was our starting CF during crunch time last season. Wise was playing LF because Quentin was on the DL, IIRC.

This is why you can't pay too much attention to what Ozzie says. He just says whatever the hell pops into his head at a given moment.