PDA

View Full Version : KW interview on mlb.com now

JermaineDye05
01-28-2009, 12:26 PM
It's running live, should be posted later.

CashMan
01-28-2009, 12:30 PM
It's running live, should be posted later.

I can't listen at work, can someone please post what he says?

JermaineDye05
01-28-2009, 12:40 PM
I started watching near the end what I saw was some stuff we already knew.

1) He thought about signing Garland but said that essentially Marquez is the same pitcher so that factored in the decision.

2) Kenny said he wanted to sign Colon last year with an option this year, the belief was that he would be healthy this year. He would not have signed him if he didn't believe he was going to be an asset. He signed him based on history with the medical staff, and reports from doctors.

3) Kenny expressed his thoughts on the WBC. He was careful not to bash it, but he did say that pitchers "need to be more careful." since these are competitive players, its hard to avoid injuries. He mentioned how we won 90 games in 2006 and lost the division, he said it would have been interesting to see what would have happened had our rotation been at full strength. If people don't remember, both Freddy and Javy participated in the WBC in 2006 and had sub par seasons (Freddy won 17 games but had an ERA in the mid 4's and Javy was below .500 with an ERA in the high 4's).

munchman33
01-28-2009, 12:46 PM

1) He thought about signing Garland but said that essentially Marquez is the same pitcher so that factored in the decision.

2) Kenny said he wanted to sign Colon last year with an option this year, the belief was that he would be healthy this year. He would not have signed him if he didn't believe he was going to be an asset. He signed him based on history with the medical staff, and reports from doctors.

3) Kenny expressed his thoughts on the WBC. He was careful not to bash it, but he did say that pitchers "need to be more careful." since these are competitive players, its hard to avoid injuries. He mentioned how we won 90 games in 2006 and lost the division, he said it would have been interesting to see what would have happened had our rotation been at full strength. If people don't remember, both Freddy and Javy participated in the WBC in 2006 and had sub par seasons (Freddy won 17 games but had an ERA in the mid 4's and Javy was below .500 with an ERA in the high 4's).

On #1......:rolling:

On #3.....I guess Vazquez must play in the WBC every year his team competes in September.

Freddy didn't break down because of the WBC. He broke down because of 2005. The damage was done. I'm sure if you ask him, he'll say it was worth it.

Gammons Peter
01-28-2009, 12:46 PM
Just another vehicle for Kenny to remind everyone that the Sox won 90 games in 06

oeo
01-28-2009, 12:49 PM
Just another vehicle for Kenny to remind everyone that the Sox won 90 games in 06

What? :?:

voodoochile
01-28-2009, 12:53 PM

shhh... let them rant. It's comedy gold...

spawn
01-28-2009, 12:57 PM

shhh... let them rant. It's comedy gold...
Word. :cool:

soxfan21
01-28-2009, 01:00 PM
Should be an interesting Q & A session this year at soxfest with KW:popcorn:.

CashMan
01-28-2009, 01:02 PM
Freddy didn't break down because of the WBC. He broke down because of 2005. The damage was done. I'm sure if you ask him, he'll say it was worth it.

I don't think the WBC helped Freddie. I don't like the WBC for the pitchers, pitchers pitching real pitches in an exhibition game, bothers me. I think the last time they did it, Luis Ayala(sp?) went down with an arm injury, he wasn't a big name, but when a big name goes down, how does Selig, justify playing the WBC?

veeter
01-28-2009, 01:08 PM
The Latin players LOVE the WBC. It's hard to keep them away from it. Did it effect Javy and Freddie? Who knows?

CashMan
01-28-2009, 01:10 PM
The Latin players LOVE the WBC. It's hard to keep them away from it. Did it effect Javy and Freddie? Who knows?

Yes and Yes, Freddie has not pitched in a few years and Javy sucks.

Gammons Peter
01-28-2009, 01:16 PM

what don't you understand?

munchman33
01-28-2009, 01:21 PM
I don't think the WBC helped Freddie. I don't like the WBC for the pitchers, pitchers pitching real pitches in an exhibition game, bothers me. I think the last time they did it, Luis Ayala(sp?) went down with an arm injury, he wasn't a big name, but when a big name goes down, how does Selig, justify playing the WBC?

The same way every other freakin' winter league justifies it. It's baseball for the sake of fun, pride, and competition. You might not get it. And it isn't for every player. But for those that want it, it's great. Teams don't control every aspect of your lives. There's nothing to "justify." It's a choice. And the choice is theirs.

oeo
01-28-2009, 01:33 PM
what don't you understand?

Where your post is coming from...besides left field.

Gammons Peter
01-28-2009, 01:51 PM
Where your post is coming from...besides left field.

So, I guess you have never heard Kenny mention that "we won 90 games in 2006" before. I've heard him mention it just about every time he opens his mouth.

ChiSoxFan81
01-28-2009, 03:02 PM

I don't think it effected them at all. There might have been some affects though.

hawkjt
01-28-2009, 04:45 PM
So, I guess you have never heard Kenny mention that "we won 90 games in 2006" before. I've heard him mention it just about every time he opens his mouth.

The question was on pitchers participating in the WBC and the effect on the team.
The last time they played the WBC was 2006.
Sox had two pitchers who participated.
Those two pitchers crapped out that season.
That team won 90 games but fell apart late ,partially due to those two pitchers crapping out.

Seems relevant to me.

Gammons Peter
01-28-2009, 04:57 PM
The question was on pitchers participating in the WBC and the effect on the team.
The last time they played the WBC was 2006.
Sox had two pitchers who participated.
Those two pitchers crapped out that season.
That team won 90 games but fell apart late ,partially due to those two pitchers crapping out.

Seems relevant to me.

It doesnt matter what the question is, Kenny will always find a way to work in the win total for 2006

thedudeabides
01-28-2009, 05:01 PM
It doesnt matter what the question is, Kenny will always find a way to work in the win total for 2006

And you'll always find a way to bitch about something. It sounds like the two of you have something in common.

Konerko05
01-28-2009, 05:05 PM
I don't think it effected them at all. There might have been some affects though.

I hope you were just making a joke while trying to give your English lesson.

beasly213
01-28-2009, 05:08 PM

I don't think it matters but I too have noticed that Kenny often mentions the 2006 win total.

getonbckthr
01-28-2009, 05:13 PM
The same way every other freakin' winter league justifies it. It's baseball for the sake of fun, pride, and competition. You might not get it. And it isn't for every player. But for those that want it, it's great. Teams don't control every aspect of your lives. There's nothing to "justify." It's a choice. And the choice is theirs.
Teams have a right to control this aspect of a players life. They signed a contract to pitch exclusively for (insert team) not (insert country). If I were teams I would fight for salary protection if a player is hurt in the WBC.

getonbckthr
01-28-2009, 05:17 PM
I'm surprised nobody has made any creative conversations in regards to this post.

oeo
01-28-2009, 05:20 PM

That team was a disappointment to him as much as the rest of us, so I still don't get what you're trying to get at. Probably just bitching for the sake of bitching...

BTW, if Buehrle doesn't have the worst year of his career, that team is probably back in the postseason and who knows what happens after that.

spawn
01-28-2009, 05:24 PM
That team was a disappointment to him as much as the rest of us, so I still don't get what you're trying to get at. Probably just bitching for the sake of bitching...

This is what makes his post some damn idiotic IMO. That team may have won 90 games, but that was a downgrade over the previous WS champion team, and this team failed to even make the playoffs. Why would KW want to brag about that? Ridiculous.

Frontman
01-28-2009, 05:25 PM
i'm surprised nobody has made any creative conversations in regards to this post.

:KW
"The reason nobody has done a creative conversation with that post is that, quite frankly; it pisses me off and most WSIers are afraid of me. I'm more powerful than Chuck Norris. We won 90 games in 2006, that's 90 more than Chuck did. And if Frontman or any other of those WSIers who think its funny to put words in my mouth? They need to stay out of White Sox business."

Konerko05
01-28-2009, 05:27 PM
On #1......:rolling:

On #3.....I guess Vazquez must play in the WBC every year his team competes in September.

I agree #1 is laughable. I didn't want the Sox to sign Garland but saying a 24 year old pitcher with a 1.45 WHIP in AAA is essentially the same pitcher as an established ML pitcher with 106 wins is ridiculous.

I could see if Marquez dominated AAA last season, but his already stated WHIP combined with only 33 SO in 80.2 IP is awful.

Garland had already pitched a better season in the majors at age 22.

I disagree about #3. Shortening the offseason and adding innings to a already World Series taxed arm definitely played a role in Garcia's arm breaking down. I don't see how you can argue otherwise.

PorkChopExpress
01-28-2009, 05:31 PM
Yes and Yes, Freddie has not pitched in a few years and Javy sucks.

Well, there you have it. Definitive evidence that the WBC has a negative effect on pitchers.

areilly
01-28-2009, 05:31 PM
If people don't remember, both Freddy and Javy participated in the WBC in 2006 and had sub par seasons (Freddy won 17 games but had an ERA in the mid 4's and Javy was below .500 with an ERA in the high 4's).

That's a crock of **** if I've ever heard one. How did non-WBC participants Jon Garland, Mark Buehrle, Jose Contreras, Brandon McCarthy, Cliff Politte and Neal Cotts do in 2006?

Frontman
01-28-2009, 05:32 PM
That's a crock of **** if I've ever heard one. How did non-WBC participants Jon Garland, Mark Buehrle, Jose Contreras, Brandon McCarthy, Cliff Politte and Neal Cotts do in 2006?

They won 90 games; haven't you paid attention to Kenny?

DirtySox
01-28-2009, 07:59 PM
On the White Sox (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090128&content_id=3779718&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws) website now.

whitesox901
01-28-2009, 08:06 PM
Kenny will always find a way to work in the win total for 2006

:KW
PHONE CALL: "Hey hun, i'm stopping by the store, we won 90 games in 06', do you need anything? Maybe 90 wins in 2006? or some butter? Or 90 wins in 2006?"

Lip Man 1
01-28-2009, 08:28 PM
Read the story and wasn't surprised at anything he said. It's to be expected and I would hope any GM would support the players on his roster at least publicly.

If the season goes well Kenny should get 100% of the credit for his bold moves in the face of everything...if the season tanks a la 2007 (the last time Kenny took some bold moves to reassemble his bullpen with kids) he deserves 100% of the blame.

One thing about Kenny however, after the disaster of 2007, he took full responsibility and moved heaven and earth to correct his bad decisions with the bullpen for the 2008 season.

Should the worst happen in 2009 at least Sox fans can take comfort in that he won't repeat his mistakes for 2010.

Lip

veeter
01-28-2009, 08:30 PM
I don't think it effected them at all. There might have been some affects though.Dope.

JermaineDye05
01-28-2009, 08:39 PM
Read the story and wasn't surprised at anything he said. It's to be expected and I would hope any GM would support the players on his roster at least publicly.

If the season goes well Kenny should get 100% of the credit for his bold moves in the face of everything...if the season tanks a la 2007 (the last time Kenny took some bold moves to reassemble his bullpen with kids) he deserves 100% of the blame.

One thing about Kenny however, after the disaster of 2007, he took full responsibility and moved heaven and earth to correct his bad decisions with the bullpen for the 2008 season.

Should the worst happen in 2009 at least Sox fans can take comfort in that he won't repeat his mistakes for 2010.

Lip

I think the exciting thing about 2010 is that if this season doesn't go too well, their won't be too many moves needed. With Beckham probably being ready, you're middle infield looks ready. Pending on what Fields does or doesn't do, you have Viciedo and he could be ready either this year or next. The rotation shouldn't be too much of a question mark once guys like Marquez and Richard get some major league experience. This team could look very different come 2010.

Personally I've loved what Kenny has done this offseason, then again I loved what he did in 2007. However I think Kenny has a little more breathing room if everything doesn't pan out in 2009. I can honestly say I will be one of the people praising Kenny at Soxfest or at least being rather reserved. I will not be bashing him for anything he's done or hasn't done this offseason.

Lip Man 1
01-28-2009, 10:43 PM
Kenny talks about the off season and adds the nugget that Colon had off season elbow surgery! :o:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-29-white-sox-ken-williams-chjan29,0,5008550.story

Also according To Comcast Sports Chicago Kenny also said that he still consider bringing in another veteran starter.

Lip

Frontman
01-28-2009, 11:57 PM
Kenny talks about the off season and adds the nugget that Colon had off season elbow surgery! :o:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-29-white-sox-ken-williams-chjan29,0,5008550.story

Also according To Comcast Sports Chicago Kenny also said that he still consider bringing in another veteran starter.

Lip

Bone spur removal isn't the same as reconstructive surgery. I'd be more concerned it it was for ligament/tendon tears.

champagne030
01-29-2009, 12:00 AM

Lip

How's that going to happen? We're rebuilding, we have no money and Kenny favors guys who throw a sinker. That will be a style too similar to, stud in waiting, Marquez.

Meh.....Kenny just running his trap.

voodoochile
01-29-2009, 12:03 AM
Bone spur removal isn't the same as reconstructive surgery. I'd be more concerned it it was for ligament/tendon tears.

Yeah, all things considered, this is great news. No major damage and now he will be pain free.

Gammons Peter
01-29-2009, 09:18 AM
And you'll always find a way to bitch about something. It sounds like the two of you have something in common.

BTW, if Buehrle doesn't have the worst year of his career, that team is probably back in the postseason and who knows what happens after that.

Who is "bitching"?? all I did was point out that Kenny likes to reference the fact that the Sox won 90 games in 06. Please explain to me how I "bitched" about it

ChiSoxFan81
01-29-2009, 09:56 AM
I hope you were just making a joke while trying to give your English lesson.

Dope.

Irony is a lost art, apparantly.

RealFan
01-30-2009, 01:25 PM
Irony is a lost art, apparantly.

Don't worry. Some of us got it. :wink: