View Full Version : Cubs Close To Acquiring Aaron Heilman

cws05champ
01-28-2009, 11:54 AM
According to our favorite reporter Bruce Levine:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Oohhh, another piece for them to trade to San Diego for Peavy

JohnTucker0814
01-28-2009, 12:05 PM
If they really are "building" a piece for Peavy I really hope it just fails. I think it would be hilarious that you trade for certain guys prior to having a deal in place for Peavy. Not a good strategy!

FedEx227
01-28-2009, 12:12 PM
Levine + MLB Trade Rumors is a dangerous combo of falsity.

munchman33
01-28-2009, 12:37 PM
Levine + MLB Trade Rumors is a dangerous combo of falsity.

Ken Rosenthal is saying the deal is pretty much done.

veeter
01-28-2009, 12:42 PM
If they really are "building" a piece for Peavy I really hope it just fails. I think it would be hilarious that you trade for certain guys prior to having a deal in place for Peavy. Not a good strategy!Why would you think this has anything to do with Peavy? Hendry, God bless him, is just dumping all his guys that are out of options. All his trades this off-season, despite what Levine reports, have landed the cubs nothing. Olsen and now Heilman are insurance in case Marshall sucks.

oeo
01-28-2009, 12:42 PM
Heilman sucks. :shrug:

Doesn't he want to be a starter?

JermaineDye05
01-28-2009, 12:43 PM
Cubs need bullpen help, Heilman is for the Cubs not the Padres. I can't see the Padres wanting Heilman to seal the Peavy deal. I say Josh Vitters is the one that's holding the thing up.

DirtySox
01-28-2009, 12:46 PM
ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3866647)

Crasnick says its Cedeno and Olson for Heilman.

JermaineDye05
01-28-2009, 12:47 PM

Wow, that's going to piss off a lot of Cubs fans. Olson was supposedly a key piece in the Peavy deal, Idk why but he was. I can't wait to hear Murphy's response to this or what B&B have to say.

veeter
01-28-2009, 12:51 PM
Wow, that's going to piss off a lot of Cubs fans. Olson was supposedly a key piece in the Peavy deal, Idk why but he was. I can't wait to hear Murphy's response to this or what B&B have to say.Proof the Peavy thing isn't happening. Also proof that the quality of guys the cubs have, land you the Heilmans of the world, not the Peavys.

Gammons Peter
01-28-2009, 12:55 PM
Wow, that's going to piss off a lot of Cubs fans. Olson was supposedly a key piece in the Peavy deal, Idk why but he was. I can't wait to hear Murphy's response to this or what B&B have to say.

Murphs response will be:

honk honk
weather in leather
browns chicken
caller of the show
tomorrow, now go and have another beer
McPhail... F A I L
thats no gouda

munchman33
01-28-2009, 12:56 PM

The Mariners must be positioning themselves for that big Jake Peavy trade.

Gammons Peter
01-28-2009, 12:57 PM
the mariners must be positioning themselves for that big jake peavy trade.

congratulations, you're the caller of the show!!

CashMan
01-28-2009, 01:08 PM
Murphs response will be:

honk honk
weather in leather
browns chicken
caller of the show
McPhail... F A I L
thats no gouda

You forgot! Somebody say Tool?

CashMan
01-28-2009, 01:08 PM
The Mariners must be positioning themselves for that big Jake Peavy trade.

LOL, yeah give up another top prospect for another SP who will suck it up.

thomas35forever
01-28-2009, 01:15 PM
I never thought the Cubs were getting Peavy.

Anyway, I'm kind of surprised they gave up Cedeno. I'm sure Cubs fans will be impartial towards that. We'll have to see where Heilman ends up though.

kjhanson
01-28-2009, 01:20 PM
How Aaron Heilman is desirable at this point is beyond me. A 30-year old reliever coming off 3-8, 5.21 isn't exactly someone you trade a 25 year-old LHP and a 25 year-old SS, both with 2+ years experience, for.

johnnyg83
01-28-2009, 02:31 PM
Advantage: Seattle.

SOXPHILE
01-28-2009, 03:37 PM
Murphs response will be:

honk honk
weather in leather
browns chicken
caller of the show
McPhail... F A I L
thats no gouda

Tick tick tick....and Ed Lynch is STILL ON...the Cubs payroll...BOOM !

He's still saying things like "When the Cubs get Peavy....." like it's a foregone conclusion. Just like them getting Brian Roberts was last year. And Rafael Furcal in 2006. Ass.

JermaineDye05
01-28-2009, 03:41 PM

He's still saying things like "When the Cubs get Peavy....." like it's a foregone conclusion. Just like them getting Brian Roberts was last year. And Rafael Furcal in 2006. Ass.

That's the thing that irritates me about most Cub fans, they assume Peavy's going to be a Cub and are already setting up the rotation with him in it.

SoxSpeed22
01-28-2009, 03:44 PM
http://www.hrwiki.org/images/2/23/The_Cheat_Character_Video.PNG
Meh.

veeter
01-28-2009, 03:53 PM

He's still saying things like "When the Cubs get Peavy....." like it's a foregone conclusion. Just like them getting Brian Roberts was last year. And Rafael Furcal in 2006. Ass.My Dad, who inexplicably listens to Murph, says he's all but admitted the Peavy thing isn't happening. Saying intelligent things like, "I never really wanted him anyway." I was wrong about Hendry, he really did go ahead and flip Olson for another pitcher. It just wasn't quite the one cubbie fans were hoping for. But hey he went to Notre Dame.

guillensdisciple
01-28-2009, 04:56 PM
My Dad, who inexplicably listens to Murph, says he's all but admitted the Peavy thing isn't happening. Saying intelligent things like, "I never really wanted him anyway." I was wrong about Hendry, he really did go ahead and flip Olson for another pitcher. It just wasn't quite the one cubbie fans were hoping for. But hey he went to Notre Dame.

Actually, when listening to him on Tuesday, I wanted to go to the studio and whack him across the face. Not only was he commenting on how some people were saying that getting Peavy was very possible at this point but he also made the point that Brian Roberts COULD be on A team in Chicago within two or three months. By this he was implying the cubs, and boy was it irritating listening to a person who had absolutely nothing to base that off of.

EuroSox35
01-28-2009, 05:01 PM
I remember hearing a stat last year that the Mets would've won the East easily if games ended after 8 innings (and in a landslide if 7 innings). Heilman played a nice role in them blowing all those games...

turners56
01-28-2009, 05:58 PM

Hahaha xD

I had Cubs fans tell me that Olson was one of the "keys" to the Peavy deal. Yeah, like Towers would want a guy who racked up a 6 ERA last year as part of a deal for a former Cy Young award winner.

central44
01-28-2009, 06:24 PM
I just find it hilarious that Cub fans refuse to acknowledge that the Peavy deal is dead and has been so for months now. Besides the Cubune speculating on it every day, and Cub fans planning their rotation around him, nobody is even mentioning it as a possibility anymore.

I can't imagine how an entire fanbase can be so good at rationalizing things and lying to themselves. It's really an amazing thing.

turners56
01-28-2009, 06:26 PM
I just find it hilarious that Cub fans refuse to acknowledge that the Peavy deal is dead and has been so for months now. Besides the Cubune speculating on it every day, and Cub fans planning their rotation around him, nobody is even mentioning it as a possibility anymore.

I can't imagine how an entire fanbase can be so good at rationalizing things and lying to themselves. It's really an amazing thing.

They've been lying to themselves for the past 100 years. It's what happens when you get desperate.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-28-2009, 08:39 PM
If the price was right, I would've LOVED to have Ronny on the Southside playing 2B. **** Nix, Getz, and the other "potential" Major Leaguers. This guy IS a Major Leaguer and would've been a perfect fit for Ozzie and KW. Too bad.

JermaineDye05
01-28-2009, 08:41 PM
If the price was right, I would've LOVED to have Ronny on the Southside playing 2B. **** Nix, Getz, and the other "potential" Major Leaguers. This guy IS a Major Leaguer and would've been a perfect fit for Ozzie and KW. Too bad.

He's basically Brian Anderson in the infield. Great defense, not so great offense. I'm fine taking the in house options rather than giving up anything for Cedeno.

DrCrawdad
01-28-2009, 09:30 PM
When is "Craig Grebeck" going to start posting here, defending this latest Cubbie trade & tossing jabs at Sox fans for posting about it?

DSpivack
01-28-2009, 09:58 PM
When is "Craig Grebeck" going to start posting here, defending this latest Cubbie trade & tossing jabs at Sox fans for posting about it?

He's waiting for Warren Newson to join.

soxinem1
01-28-2009, 10:39 PM
I for one wouldn't mind seeing Heilman on the White Sox.

But a good trade for SEA. They are assembling a nice collection of arms. Olson should do okay pitching half of his games in The Grand Canyon, I mean Safeco.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-29-2009, 02:16 AM
He's basically Brian Anderson in the infield. Great defense, not so great offense. I'm fine taking the in house options rather than giving up anything for Cedeno.

Please tell me you're kidding? They (BA and Cedeno) may both be great defensive players (I'd actually give BA the edge although you can't compare a CF to SS or 2B), but Cedeno is a better offensive player. BA has NEVER hit over .232 in any season since he got called in 2005. Cedeno has never hit UNDER .245 in any season in which he's had 80+ ABs. I'm not saying .245 is a good number, but the kid started showing what he can do last year (hit to the opposite field and move runners along when asked to). He would've been a GREAT fit for our team. He'll sacrifice his at-bats for the better of the team and would've respect Ozzie and everyone else on the team along the way. No clubhouse drama, no off the field issues, nada.

SoxfaninLA
01-29-2009, 11:03 AM

It's Brian Roberts all over again. Constant media reports that a deal is close, every trade or free agent signing made is just another move to get closer to brining a guy in, media reports on how everyone and their mother would love to play for such a historic franschise at the greatest ballpark of all time, this is the annual off-season world series that the Cubs and their fans love to get caught up in every year.

The Peavy thing has been dead since the winter meetings. It's fairly obvious that the Cubs can't add a whole lot of payroll, especially not the 16 million owed Jake Peavy. If money was no object to them they wouldn't have had to make all of those moves just to bring in Milton Bradley for 10 million bucks. All of those awesome back loaded contracts Hendry doled out the last couple of years are tying his hands now.

Right now to me the Cubs look like a worse team than last year, but lucky for them it doesn't matter because their division is the ultimate clown show.

4 points
01-30-2009, 10:59 PM

You obviously have never seen much of Cedeno, he is NOT a good fielder, far,far from it. He can`t hit much either.

SoxNation05
02-01-2009, 03:15 PM
BA's power >>>> Cedeno's
BA's average <<<< Cedeno's
BA on the field >>>>>> Cedeno
CF >>> Middle infielder

I am not a big FOBA either.