Sockinchisox
01-28-2009, 10:39 AM
http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/NickPiecoro/44762

1 yr deal with an option.

oeo
01-28-2009, 10:43 AM

For those that think the market is still insane...

LoveYourSuit
01-28-2009, 10:45 AM

No where near the 4 yrs $12 million per year everyone expected.

I'm surprised we didn't get involved for such a low risk deal like that.

sas1974
01-28-2009, 10:46 AM
For those that think the market is still insane...

While I agree with you on that front (as I'm sure Manny would up to this point), he really screwed himself by passing up arbitration.

FedEx227
01-28-2009, 10:46 AM
He definitely priced himself down.

LoveYourSuit
01-28-2009, 10:48 AM
OC is kicking himself right now for not accepting arbitration from us.

Many players with pride like that are kicking themsevles for it.

JUribe1989
01-28-2009, 10:50 AM
Webb, Haren, Davis, Garland, Scherzer
Emergency Option: Petit

Rock it D'Backs!

Hitmen77
01-28-2009, 10:56 AM
Wow. 1-yr at $6-8million? I'm surprised the Sox didn't take him at that low of a price. I know he's not the world's greatest pitcher, but we have big holes to fill at the 4th and 5th spot in our rotation.

While I agree with you on that front (as I'm sure Manny would up to this point), he really screwed himself by passing up arbitration.

He's taking a huge pay cut over what he would have gotten in arbitration.

doublem23
01-28-2009, 11:06 AM
Wow. 1-yr at $6-8million? I'm surprised the Sox didn't take him at that low of a price. I know he's not the world's greatest pitcher, but we have big holes to fill at the 4th and 5th spot in our rotation.

They're obviously not budging from this payroll limit they've set, for better or worse.

jabrch
01-28-2009, 11:11 AM
Seems like a nice move for AZ.

esbrechtel
01-28-2009, 11:14 AM
This shocked me a bit....I Garland will be good in the NL though....

I am sure the sox would have given him a look at that price but who is to say he was even interested in talking to them? :dunno:

longtimesoxguy
01-28-2009, 11:18 AM
Good luck Jon!!! You should have been back with us!!!!!!!

spawn
01-28-2009, 11:26 AM
I am sure the sox would have given him a look at that price but who is to say he was even interested in talking to them? :dunno:
No kidding.

CashMan
01-28-2009, 11:29 AM
Good luck Jon!!! You should have been back with us!!!!!!!

Didn't he say he wanted to play on the west coast? I don't think the Sox would of had a chance of signing him, unless they were willing to pay a little for than whan he signed for. BTW, I am not the biggest Garland fan, I don't hate him, I just view him as a tease. He would throw pretty well, and show that he was a good #2 pitcher, then all of a sudden he would walk guys. After the Angels refused to let him pitch in the playoffs, I would not of touched him. Some of these athletes are delusional, thinking they are going to get this big payout with how the economy is.

longtimesoxguy
01-28-2009, 11:29 AM
No kidding.

He wanted to come back to Chicago. Either side of town.

johnnyg83
01-28-2009, 11:36 AM

I bet that's his plan ... hope to get his numbers down in the NL West and then get himself back into bargaining power in a couple of years.

oeo
01-28-2009, 11:39 AM
No where near the 4 yrs $12 million per year everyone expected.

That was over a year before the market took a slide. If Garland was going to get that big deal, it would have happened, at the latest, in December. No one is signing blank checks except the Yankees.

spawn
01-28-2009, 11:40 AM
When did he say that?

thomas35forever
01-28-2009, 12:20 PM
Say hi to Chris Young for us.

01-28-2009, 12:26 PM
He hit a HR once in a White Sox uniform if I remember correctly.

longtimesoxguy
01-28-2009, 12:40 PM
When did he say that?
Over Thanksgiving weekend in the South Loop. That's why he keeps his place here.

DSpivack
01-28-2009, 01:35 PM
He hit a HR once in a White Sox uniform if I remember correctly.

In Cincinatti.

LoveYourSuit
01-28-2009, 01:40 PM
That was over a year before the market took a slide. If Garland was going to get that big deal, it would have happened, at the latest, in December. No one is signing blank checks except the Yankees.

Not that they care about money... but the Yankees must now feel like they were bidding against themselves early this offseason with all their signings. Unless the gap between good/great players and OK/average players is that big when it comes to $$$.

Burnett is a good pitcher, but for the money + years + risk ....I think Garland is a bargain compared to that.

kravdog
01-28-2009, 01:55 PM
Just another example of the ever changing economics.

The quickly diminishing value of 3/4/5 starters is making me happier everyday that Kenny was able to dump Javy & his $23 million remaining.

soxinem1
01-28-2009, 02:00 PM

White Sox fans should be delighted with this signing so we do not have to speculate the possibility of his return.

ChiSoxFan81
01-28-2009, 02:05 PM
Don't worry guys, Kenny will trade Marquez for Garland, straight up. Maybe they'll even throw in Young too since Marquez is younger.

LoveYourSuit
01-28-2009, 02:18 PM
Just another example of the ever changing economics.

The quickly diminishing value of 3/4/5 starters is making me happier everyday that Kenny was able to dump Javy & his $23 million remaining.

No one will question that based on performance and today's market, Javy was over-paid. Wasn't over-paid last 2 years, but now based on today's economey yes.

Problem is, do the Sox have anything in line that can replace Javy's production when it comes to innings wins and ERA at the #4 starter? We will wait and see.

esbrechtel
01-28-2009, 02:18 PM

How do you know? Do you know Jon or something? I have a very hard time believeing that he would have taken that EXACT same deal here....He either asked for more money or a longer contract. Why wouldn't kenny sign him for a year and let the kids take over next season?

Tragg
01-28-2009, 02:21 PM

It would have cost us a draft choice, right?

WhiteSox5187
01-28-2009, 02:37 PM
I think Garland is going to do quite well in the NL. Still, for that price I wouldn't have minded seeing him back here to help shore up the back end of our rotation.

spawn
01-28-2009, 02:40 PM
Over Thanksgiving weekend in the South Loop. That's why he keeps his place here.
Link?

Konerko05
01-28-2009, 02:41 PM

Nope, he's a type B free agent.

turners56
01-28-2009, 03:05 PM
He could rebound greatly in the NL.

EuroSox35
01-28-2009, 03:59 PM
Wasn't there an article recently that said Kenny pretty much burned that bridge in some way that upset Garland, and him returning wasn't likely at all...(he really needs to work on that if true...)

the gooch
01-28-2009, 04:49 PM
Doesn't his fiance (maybe he is married now, IDK) play 2b for the Arizona softball team? I would guess that has a lot to do with his decision. I saw her play in Lisle - I'd move to Arizona too.
http://uanews.org/system/files/images/jung.lg_horiz.jpg

the gooch
01-28-2009, 04:50 PM
Wasn't there an article recently that said Kenny pretty much burned that bridge in some way that upset Garland, and him returning wasn't likely at all...(he really needs to work on that if true...)I think it was Jon that gushed about the Angels organization, and that may have offended Kenny. I don't know if there was any response about it in the papers.

Tragg
01-28-2009, 05:34 PM
Nope, he's a type B free agent.
I wouldn't have signed him. But if we want one of the Garland-types, they are available and we should be able to cut a good deal.

The question is - will anyone sign Cabrera for us?

whitesox901
01-28-2009, 05:52 PM
Doesn't his fiance (maybe he is married now, IDK) play 2b for the Arizona softball team? I would guess that has a lot to do with his decision. I saw her play in Lisle - I'd move to Arizona too.
http://uanews.org/system/files/images/jung.lg_horiz.jpg

I know he used to date a pitcher for the Bandits back in the day

the gooch
01-28-2009, 08:52 PM
nah, she played for the Arizona Heat (Tucson), but that team doesn't exist anymore. She played 2b for team USA in the 04 and 08 olympics.

longtimesoxguy
01-28-2009, 09:03 PM
How do you know? Do you know Jon or something? I have a very hard time believeing that he would have taken that EXACT same deal here....He either asked for more money or a longer contract. Why wouldn't kenny sign him for a year and let the kids take over next season?
He was a very easy guy to get to know if you didn't pound him on the Sox. I have no idea on the economics of his contract demands. He realized that a good number of people in the building were Sox fans. His family loved coming to Chicago and can you blame them.

soxinem1
01-28-2009, 09:42 PM
Curious signing by ARI. Couldn't they just have kept Randy Johnson for another year for what Garland cost?

Johnson at 43 > Garland at 29.

soxinem1
01-28-2009, 09:45 PM
I wouldn't have signed him. But if we want one of the Garland-types, they are available and we should be able to cut a good deal.

The question is - will anyone sign Cabrera for us?

Knowing our luck with OC these guys will sign him:

http://www.ticketkingonline.com/tickets/images/Paul1.jpg

Rdy2PlayBall
01-28-2009, 09:53 PM
Thank god, I'm getting sick of those threads about him coming back here. :rolleyes:

gf2020
01-28-2009, 10:39 PM
Yes and if we are going to do that, I'd rather get Orlando Hudson. We need a lineup hitter and production consistency from a 3B or 2B a lot more than a fourth or fifth starter, especially if Colon has anything left at all.

balke
01-28-2009, 11:24 PM

He's taking a huge pay cut over what he would have gotten in arbitration.

FWIW I think it would take a ton of money to get Garland back in Chicago. The fans weren't the nicest to him, plus its cold. He seemed eager to hit the West Coast at the end of his run here.

I think the D-Backs would be scary with Quentin. Good thing we snatched him up eh?

doublem23
01-28-2009, 11:44 PM
Yes and if we are going to do that, I'd rather get Orlando Hudson. We need a lineup hitter and production consistency from a 3B or 2B a lot more than a fourth or fifth starter, especially if Colon has anything left at all.

No, Jon Garland was a Type B free agent. It doesn't cost his new team a draft pick to sign him, but his old team gets a Sandwich Round pick.

gf2020
01-29-2009, 04:45 AM
No, Jon Garland was a Type B free agent. It doesn't cost his new team a draft pick to sign him, but his old team gets a Sandwich Round pick.
I stand corrected. I assumed the pick his old team would get would come from his new team. You know what happens when you assume.

doublem23
01-29-2009, 07:21 AM
I stand corrected. I assumed the pick his old team would get would come from his new team. You know what happens when you assume.

It's OK, I would rather try and learn the US Tax Code before I tried to figure out all the intricacies of the MLB-MLBPA CBA. It's ridiculous.

guillensdisciple
01-29-2009, 08:23 AM
Loved Garland while on the Sox but once he left I realized I had a little bias when judging him as a pitcher. He did great things for us in '05, but other then being an innings eater, he really didn't have much value for the White Sox. His stay in L.A. proved the point further. Also, since he is a contact pitcher, many balls would be left to this infield, and we don't know how bad they might look under contact pitching.

all*star quentin
02-02-2009, 11:47 AM
many balls would be left to this infield.

While with the White Sox, Garland said he was a pitcher that relied on the infield.

Sargeant79
02-02-2009, 12:49 PM
While with the White Sox, Garland said he was a pitcher that relied on the infield.

When he was with the White Sox, the infield defense was better.

Tragg
02-02-2009, 01:08 PM
I wish Cabrera was class b and not class a, then.