PDA

View Full Version : Obama-styled hat designs

doublem23
01-27-2009, 10:06 AM
http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/61341

Actual images of the hats included. Some notes:
Design approved by MLB. Waiting for the OK by Obama's administration before they can be produced.
Proceeds go to unnamed charity
You know WSI's rules, no politics in this thread. Consider this your warning.

Thome25
01-27-2009, 10:13 AM
Two things: The only way I'll be able to wear that cap is if it comes fitted......I have a ginormous melon.

Brooks said Obama has made it hip to be a White Sox fan.......as if it was unhip before?

ChiSoxFan81
01-27-2009, 10:15 AM
Two things: The only way I'll be able to wear that cap is if it comes fitted......I have a ginormous melon.

Brooks said Obama has made it hip to be a White Sox fan.......as if it was unhip before?

I thought the best part of being a Sox fan is that it was unhip?These just seem a little goofy to me. Everyone knows he's a Sox fan. Did the Rangers ever but out a Bush cap? Just seems like a silly idea.

MushMouth
01-27-2009, 10:17 AM
I thought for sure the "o" in the sox was going to be the campaign symbol for these charity hats.

Thome25
01-27-2009, 10:17 AM
I thought the best part of being a Sox fan is that it was unhip?These just seem a little goofy to me. Everyone knows he's a Sox fan. Did the Rangers ever but out a Bush cap? Just seems like a silly idea.

It's not often that the White Sox get national media attention......especially when linked to the POTUS. If they want to flaunt it I say let 'em......take that Yankees, Red Sawx, and Cubs. No amount of ESPN propaganda could top this......enjoy it!!

Besides, the money would go to charity.

soxfan21
01-27-2009, 10:18 AM

Agree, now we'll have all the bandwagon fans coming aboard cause its "hip" to be a sox fan now. Don't really mind the design though, would be nice if it was fitted, or at least one of those flex fit type deals.

Thome25
01-27-2009, 10:19 AM
Agree, now we'll have all the bandwagon fans coming aboard cause its "hip" to be a sox fan now.

:whocares

If bandwagon fans $$$ is still green and it gets put into the product on the field then....c'mon aboard bandwagon fans.

oeo
01-27-2009, 10:21 AM

Well, I couldn't disagree with you more. There were major increases in Sox apparel bought after the election...coincidence?

Get as much out of this as you can.

ChiSoxFan81
01-27-2009, 10:21 AM
It's not often that the White Sox get national media attention......especially when linked to the POTUS. If they want to flaunt it I say let 'em......take that Yankees, Red Sawx, and Cubs. No amount of ESPN propaganda could top this......enjoy it!!

Besides, the money would go to charity.

Yeah, I'm all for the charity aspect of course. Obviously there is a market for these, even just as a novelty item. I still think they're silly. I mean, at least with the Rangers, Bush owned the team, I could see something like this back then. But Obama is just a fan. I dunno. Whatever floats your boat I guess. BTW, my opinion has no basis in politics.

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-27-2009, 10:29 AM
Love the charity aspect of it. I think it speaks volumes to the class of the organization not trying to cash in on this new "wave" of popularity. I know I'll buy one if it does get approved.

I'd like to see the team wear them IF POTUS throws out the 1st pitch at the home opener.

esbrechtel
01-27-2009, 10:32 AM
So it is basically a regular sox hat with an obama patch? (the photo is a bit small....)

I heard brooks say that sox caps went up 25% once he was elected...I dont think I would ever buy a sports cap just because a politician wears it but to each his own :dunno:

oeo
01-27-2009, 10:32 AM
Love the charity aspect of it. I think it speaks volumes to the class of the organization not trying to cash in on this new "wave" of popularity.

That's exactly what they're doing, though. Yeah, the money from the hats isn't going to them, but think about the publicity they're going to get from selling them, the people wearing the hats...it all gets your name out there which will mean more $$$.

LoveYourSuit
01-27-2009, 10:33 AM
Yeah, I'm all for the charity aspect of course. Obviously there is a market for these, even just as a novelty item. I still think they're silly. I mean, at least with the Rangers, Bush owned the team, I could see something like this back then. But Obama is just a fan. I dunno. Whatever floats your boat I guess. BTW, my opinion has no basis in politics.

And I also question sometimes how big of a fan he really is.

I smell post 2005 as are so many other people.

Unless I can have a face to face with him and have him disect the 1988 roster with him mentioning a Freddy Manrique and a Russ Morman.

ChiSoxFan81
01-27-2009, 10:35 AM
Love the charity aspect of it. I think it speaks volumes to the class of the organization not trying to cash in on this new "wave" of popularity. I know I'll buy one if it does get approved.

I'd like to see the team wear them IF POTUS throws out the 1st pitch at the home opener.

I don't think MLB would approve, nor do I think all of the players would take kindly to that. For the same reason that this thread is probably teetering on being Roadhoused (really trying not to).

oeo
01-27-2009, 10:39 AM

Unless I can have a face to face with him and have him disect the 1988 roster with him mentioning a Freddy Manrique and a Russ Morman.

First off, he threw out the first pitch at the second game of the ALCS, so the 'post-2005' doesn't really hold.

Second, even if 2005 was what captured him, so what? I'm sure the Sox gained quite a few fans because of what happened in 2005. That somehow makes them a 'smaller' fan? It's 2009, not 2006. Anyone who just became a fan after 2005 could know quite a bit about the team. Maybe some are even 'bigger' fans than you.

I see someone in a Sox hat, I smile. I don't care when they bought it, or when the Sox became relevant to them. Who gives a ****? They're a fan now, and even if they're not, they're still advertising for the Sox.

Craig Grebeck
01-27-2009, 10:40 AM

If that is your litmus test, you might find twelve people at a Sox game who can pass it.

Thome25
01-27-2009, 10:42 AM

He sounds like a real Sox fan to me:

"Oh, that's easy. White Sox. I'm not one of these fair-weather fans. You go to Wrigley Field, you have a beer; beautiful people up there. People aren't watching the game. It's not serious. White Sox, that's baseball. South Side."--President-Elect And Chicago White Sox Fan Barack Obama On Who He Would Choose In A Possible White Sox-Cubs World Series

He really gets what it is to be a Sox fan in that quote doesn't he? I think he was a fan pre-2005.

soxfan43
01-27-2009, 10:45 AM

I think making the players wear them would be a bit much. I'm all for milking the publicity, but you can't force the players to make a political statement.

Thome25
01-27-2009, 10:47 AM
I think making the players wear them would be a bit much. I'm all for milking the publicity, but you can't force the players to make a political statement.

I doubt the players would want to make a political statement. I doubt the Sox would want to make a political staement on the field. I highly doubt MLB would let one club make a political statement on the field one way or the other. ( for fear of alienating some fans.)

LoveYourSuit
01-27-2009, 10:52 AM
First off, he threw out the first pitch at the second game of the ALCS, so the 'post-2005' doesn't really hold.

Second, even if 2005 was what captured him, so what? I'm sure the Sox gained quite a few fans because of what happened in 2005. That somehow makes them a 'smaller' fan? It's 2009, not 2006. Anyone who just became a fan after 2005 could know quite a bit about the team. Maybe some are even 'bigger' fans than you.

I see someone in a Sox hat, I smile. I don't care when they bought it, or when the Sox became relevant to them. Who gives a ****? They're a fan now, and even if they're not, they're still advertising for the Sox.

So throwing out the first pitch at a baseball game makes you a fan of that team? :scratch:

And I realize that him being a fan post 2005 doesn't make him a bigger or smaller fan than any of us..... but just the media and us fans blowing it out of proportion as if the guy has been there since the Luis Apraracio days is a bit weird to me.

LoveYourSuit
01-27-2009, 10:54 AM
He sounds like a real Sox fan to me:

He really gets what it is to be a Sox fan in that quote doesn't he? I think he was a fan pre-2005.

No. That's the same meatball nonesense I hear overplayed by Cub haters.

I see as many Sox fans on cell phones and not paying attention to the game as I do at Wrigley.

oeo
01-27-2009, 10:55 AM
So throwing out the first pitch at a baseball game makes you a fan of that team? :scratch:

No, but I question why they would pick him to throw out the first pitch for one of the bigger Sox games in decades if he wasn't.

And I realize that him being a fan post 2005 doesn't make him a bigger or smaller fan than any of us..... but just the media and us fans blowing it out of proportion as if the guy has been there since the Luis Apraracio days is a bit weird to me.The only reason it's gotten news is because Obama wears his Sox hat wherever he goes. Otherwise, there probably wouldn't have been a peep about who he was a fan of. Obama brought the attention upon himself, it wasn't 'blown out of proportion' (your term) by some nobody.

And no, he hasn't been a lifetime fan; Chicago didn't enter his life until the 80's, but who cares?

jdm2662
01-27-2009, 10:57 AM

And I realize that him being a fan post 2005 doesn't make him a bigger or smaller fan than any of us..... but just the media and us fans blowing it out of proportion as if the guy has been there since the Luis Apraracio days is a bit weird to me.

He isn't originially from Chicago, so I highly doubt he's been a life long fan. My aunt works at the law firm where he and his wife interned. This was back in 1992. He might have became a fan when he settled in, who knows. Last time I checked, there are no pro baseball teams in his native Hawaii. Personally, I do not care if famous people are fans of the team or not, being popular, etc. I only care about wins and losses.

Craig Grebeck
01-27-2009, 10:58 AM

I see as many Sox fans on cell phones and not paying attention to the game as I do at Wrigley.
I agree with that. Being a Sox fan has nothing to do with Wrigley Field.

But, questioning his loyalty is ridiculous. What makes him a special Sox fan (for a politician), is the fact that he always refuses to don any other team's cap, even in campaign season.

ChiSoxFan81
01-27-2009, 10:59 AM

But, questioning his loyalty is ridiculous. What makes him a special Sox fan (for a politician), is the fact that he always refuses to don any other team's cap, even in campaign season.

Yeah. Unlike that Cubbie-hat wearin' Daley.

LoveYourSuit
01-27-2009, 10:59 AM
No, but I question why they would pick him to throw out the first pitch for one of the bigger Sox games in decades if he wasn't.

He was one of 2 US Senators from the State of Illinois at the time. That's one of the highest levels of Celebrity Status you can reach IMO.

Let me ask this:

Why doesn't Mayor Daley get as much hype for being a "true" die hard Sox Fan?

LoveYourSuit
01-27-2009, 11:01 AM
He isn't originially from Chicago, so I highly doubt he's been a life long fan. My aunt works at the law firm where he and his wife interned. This was back in 1992. He might have became a fan when he settled in, who knows. Last time I checked, there are no pro baseball teams in his native Hawaii. Personally, I do not care if famous people are fans of the team or not, being popular, etc. I only care about wins and losses.

Post of the thread right there !

I want to buy you a beer.

Mr.1Dog
01-27-2009, 11:01 AM

The only reason it's gotten news is because Obama wheres his Sox hat wherever he goes. And no, he hasn't been a lifetime fan, Chicago didn't enter his life until the 80's, but who cares?

Wears :wink:... Historically speaking, a President has never really worn a hat of a particular team that he was a fan of. Obviously, when a President throws out the opening pitch, he will wear a jacket of that team or a cap. Based on what I have seen, no President has ever sported a baseball hat of a particular team regularly. I am sure JFK was a huge Sawx fan, but you never saw him wearing their hat.

oeo
01-27-2009, 11:02 AM
He was one of 2 US Senators from the State of Illinois at the time. That's one of the highest levels of Celebrity Status you can reach IMO.

Why not a former Sox player? A 'well-known' Sox fan? This is ALCS Game 2, not some game in mid-July.

Let me ask this:

Why doesn't Mayor Daley get as much hype for being a "true" die hard Sox Fan?Is this a serious question? Besides, that diehard sure loves to don the Cubbie blue when the time calls for it.

Thome25
01-27-2009, 11:02 AM

Again:

If those bandwagon fans' $$$ is still green and it gets put into the product on the field......if they want to spend their money (and put money into the White Sox' pockets.) to talk on a cell phone fine by me.

Same goes for Obama......I think he's a real die-hard and not a bandwagoner. Did he pull Hillary Clinton when she went to New York and throw on a Yankees cap even though she's a Cubs fan? I sure didn't see him in any Nationals gear the second he hit DC. NOPE.....he still wore his old, tattered Sox gear around town.

Even if he wasn't a die-hard and WAS a bandwagoner who cares? If it brings publicity and therefore revenue to the White Sox then, I'm all for it.

Craig Grebeck
01-27-2009, 11:03 AM

Let me ask this:

Celebrity status? What society do you live in? I go to a fairly elite liberal arts school in Illinois and I'd wager 25% of the student body couldn't tell me who Dick Durbin is.

Craig Grebeck
01-27-2009, 11:03 AM
Again:

I would hope that you'd refrain from making fun of Cub fans for being bandwagoners then, right?

ChiSoxFan81
01-27-2009, 11:04 AM

Let me ask this:

Well, for one, see my previous post about him. For two, he's not the POTUS. The mayor of a city supporting the local team isn't a news story.

oeo
01-27-2009, 11:05 AM
Wears :wink:...

Damn it. :redface:

I usually read over my posts a couple of times for these mistakes.

Thome25
01-27-2009, 11:06 AM

Exactly....didn't he refuse to wear a Red Sawx cap one time?

LoveYourSuit
01-27-2009, 11:06 AM
Again:

If those bandwagon fans' $$$ is still green and it gets put into the product on the field......if they want to spend their money (and put money into the White Sox' pockets.) to talk on a cell phone fine by me.

Same goes for Obama......I think he's a real die-hard and not a bandwagoner. Did he pull Hillary Clinton when she went to New York and throw on a Yankees cap even though she's a Cubs fan? I sure didn't see him in any Nationals gear the second he hit DC. NOPE.....he still wore his old, tattered Sox gear around town.

Even if he wasn't a die-hard and WAS a bandwagoner who cares? If it brings publicity and therefore revenue to the White Sox then, I'm all for it.

LOL !

Are you serious?

Aren't you the one defending his allegiance based on that stupid meatball quote about Cub fans not paying attention to the game at Wrigley?

Thome25
01-27-2009, 11:09 AM
I would hope that you'd refrain from making fun of Cub fans for being bandwagoners then, right?

It's OK to make fun of Cubs fans for being bandwagoners because their ownership never actually came out and said that attendance directly affected player payroll.

Nope....Tribune Company pocketed their money year in and year out instead of putting a winning team on the field with their revenue....and yet the dumbass Cubs bandwagoners were too stupid to realize this and packed the house regardless.

There's a difference. With White Sox bandwagoners, there was a good chance the $$$ would be put back into the team to try and win.

oeo
01-27-2009, 11:10 AM
LOL !

Are you serious?

Aren't you the one defending his allegiance based on that stupid meatball quote about Cub fans not paying attention to the game at Wrigley?

This is just a stupid argument, anyway. You're sitting here questioning someone's loyalty when you have no idea about his past.

I could question you, as well. Well, let's see, you didn't join until March 2008, so I'm thinking it could be a little post-2005 fandom from you, as well. Do you realize how stupid that sounds?

Thome25
01-27-2009, 11:13 AM
LOL !

Are you serious?

What is so hard for you to understand? My post was pretty black and white, cut and dry.

kobo
01-27-2009, 11:13 AM
I can't believe people are questioning how much of a fan Obama is. Are you people serious? Who cares? It's nice to see the Sox trying to capitalize a little on Obama's popularity and then giving the proceeds to charity.

Thome25
01-27-2009, 11:14 AM
I can't believe people are questioning how much of a fan Obama is. Are you people serious? Who cares? It's nice to see the Sox trying to capitalize a little on Obama's popularity and then giving the proceeds to charity.

Post of the thread right here.^^^^

jdm2662
01-27-2009, 11:16 AM

I want to buy you a beer.

Hey thanks. :D:

Sadly, I'm on medication, and can't drink right now. :(:

Hype, attention, hoopla, etc. does nothing for me. It doesn't equate to wins and losses. I don't even get excited when a big free agent/trade happens. No game is being played, so what's to get excited about it?

That said, I have no problem with the Sox doing this and raising money for charity.

oeo
01-27-2009, 11:19 AM

Then why did you even start this argument? :?:

areilly
01-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Senate R. 291 of the 109th Congress.

Dude likes the team. It's the law (http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:S.RES.291.ATS:).

Now. . . when's the Danny Davis (http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c109:2:./temp/~c109M5nRfx::) hat coming out?

asindc
01-27-2009, 11:21 AM

Thank you for saying this. Others, please read.

For the record, I have been a Sox fan as long as I have been watching/playing/talking about baseball, which is since early childhood.

LoveYourSuit
01-27-2009, 11:24 AM

Because of the stupidity that has become the "Obama is a Sox fan" nonesense.

What's next, "Obama uses toilet paper with the Cub logo printed on it." "Wow, he is a die hard Sox fan."

There's a reason everyone of these threads ends up in the Roadhouse.

oeo
01-27-2009, 11:25 AM

What's next, "Obama uses toilet paper with the Cub logo printed on it." "Wow, he is a die hard Sox fan."

So what is it, you agree with jdm or not? You say you agree with him that you don't care who's a Sox fan, who's popular, etc., but you just can't let this go.

You obviously care enough to have made your original post, this one, and the other 5 in this thread.

Of course all that matters in the end is wins and losses. I'll take the Sox brand getting out there everyday, however. Anyone who doesn't should never bitch again about the Sox being irrelevant in the national spotlight.

LoveYourSuit
01-27-2009, 11:28 AM
So what is it, you agree with jdm or not? You say you agree with him that you don't care who's a Sox fan, who's popular, etc., but you just can't let this go.

You obviously care enough to have made your original post, this one, and the other 5 in this thread.

How can I let it go if 10 similar threads like this are opened on a daily basis?

hi im skot
01-27-2009, 11:29 AM
How can I let it go if 10 similar threads like this are opened on a daily basis?

Don't read them?

:shrug:

ChiSoxFan81
01-27-2009, 11:30 AM

Ignore it? Agree to disagree?

oeo

As a Sox fan, I think you should embrace it. Whatever your political views are, who cares? The Sox brand is out there on the national stage, which can mean only good things.

doublem23

Save us all a pointess 45-post argument by just not reading them?

Dude's one of us. Deal with it.

Law11
01-27-2009, 11:31 AM

or jump on board the madness.

DSpivack
01-27-2009, 11:32 AM
Back to the topic at hand, I was hoping for the campaign logo as the o in Sox. Otherwise it just seems like a normal hat with a patch on the back.

LoveYourSuit
01-27-2009, 11:32 AM
Don't read them?

:shrug:

There is nothing else to read, that's the sad part.

You know the offseason is not exciting when the Ramp renovations and Obama being a Sox fan gets the most play.

I hope we make a big trade today :praying:

Thome25
01-27-2009, 11:33 AM

I'm guessing the reason these threads end up in the roadhouse is because posters like you take the conversation away from where it originated (as goodhearted and intelligent discussion.) to new lows which are both meaningless and pathetic.

As Sox fans IMO we should all be honored that the current POTUS is a Sox fan and hasn't forgotten who he is a fan of by sporting the gear of another team as soon as he left town. He is still sticking to his White Sox fandom and as a matter of fact refuses to wear another team's gear. To me, that is the definition of a die-hard White Sox fan.

We should also be honored that our White Sox are getting some pretty decent national attention for once. Why is it that we complain about all the bad coverage from places like ESPN etc. but, some of us also complain about the good coverage we're currently recieving? We can't have it both ways.

I prefer to dwell on the good in this story.....I'm proud that the POTUS is a White Sox fan and I'm proud that the White Sox are getting some positive national coverage and using that as an outlet to donate to charity.

What's so bad about that?

LoveYourSuit
01-27-2009, 11:34 AM
As a Sox fan, I think you should embrace it. Whatever your political views are, who cares? The Sox brand is out there on the national stage, which can mean only good things.

Sox winning games and playing in a World Series..... that's the biggest marketing tool for our brand on the National stage.

oeo
01-27-2009, 11:35 AM
Sox winning games and playing in a World Series..... that's the biggest marketing tool for our brand on the National stage.

Getting the Sox brand out there can help getting to that goal in the first place. :shrug:

doublem23

Hard to play in the World Series in January, friend.

central44
isn't the post-2005 bandwagon a non-issue at this point? The way i've always seen it, Chicago baseball has three groups: Sox fans, Cubs fans, and a third, large group that declares themselves "Chicago fans" when the Sox are winning, but can otherwise be found going to the North side because of the "experience." When the Sox won it 05, that third group all flocked to the South Side, but now that the Cubs are the trendy team again they all went back.

So correct me if i'm wrong (and i acknowledge that I may well be) but shouldn't the whole 2005 bandwagon be a moot point? Hasn't anyone who supports the Sox here in 2009 proven themself by remaining loyal to the team and not jumping ship? I'm just asking because this post 2005 stuff--while it made a lot of sense in 06 and 07--seems divisive and unneccessary.

(Also, I hate the Obama cap. Nothing wrong with celebrating the President being a fan of your team, but it's getting kind of silly with how hard the Sox are pushing it. I'd prefer to keep baseball and politics separate if at all possible).

JGarlandrules20
01-27-2009, 11:37 AM
I thought I remember reading something about how he was late to one of his speeches because he wanted to watch Floyd's no hit bid. That's pretty die hard if you ask me.

I think this hat (http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_mlb_experts__18/ept_sports_mlb_experts-276503023-1232462729.jpg?ymJe3qADcZ_n2yHu) is cooler!

LoveYourSuit
01-27-2009, 11:38 AM
Getting the Sox brand out there can help getting to that goal in the first place. :shrug:

You seriously believe this?

So the Sox will have more fans now because of the POTUS and the season ticket commitment will increase and will marketing sponsorship $$$ .... which will lead to the Sox increasing payroll which can lead to a better product on the field.

If all this comes true, then yes count me in.

oeo
01-27-2009, 11:38 AM
I'd prefer to keep baseball and politics separate if at all possible.

The Sox are not doing that at all. They're saying the president is a fan, and we're proud of him. Nothing political about it.

LoveYourSuit
01-27-2009, 11:40 AM
Hard to play in the World Series in January, friend.

So we can try to improve the product on the field here in January, don't you think friend?

oeo
01-27-2009, 11:40 AM

So the Sox will have more fans now because of the POTUS and the season ticket commitment will increase and will marketing sponsorship $$$ .... which will lead to the Sox increasing payroll which can lead to a better product on the field.

Let's not be silly; nothing happens at the snap of your fingers. Do I think this could increase the Sox fanbase around the world in the long term? Definitely.

jdm2662
01-27-2009, 11:41 AM

Personally, I liked that the season ticket count went down last year. I was able to go to 11 games and pay a reasonable price while watching the team fight for a division. I would've went to more games, but the commute from Northbrook to Comiskey isn't fun.

Rohan
01-27-2009, 11:41 AM
It's cool that the president of the United States is a fan of our team. Regardless of your political affiliation, your affiliation and fanaticism of this team should prompt you to appreciate that.
My problem is with the Obama logo itself. The campaign is over, Barack Hussein Obama is now the President of the United States. He's the Commander in Chief, and the face of the democratic party.

His logo represents his campaign of "change and hope"... That campaign is OVER. Why can't we move on and rather than putting that symbol up, put up something along the lines of the Presidential seal? Talk about a cult of personality... Why must our pride confide in his face or the ideals he symbolized during his CAMPAIGN.

There's nothing wrong with the the White Sox sporting presidential gear, but can't we make it a bit less partisan?

Sockinchisox
01-27-2009, 11:42 AM
I'm not fond of adjustable caps, I might buy one though.

doublem23
01-27-2009, 11:42 AM

Hat sales are up 25% over this period last year. :shrug:

http://deadspin.com/5138482/get-this-man-in-a-chrysler-pt-cruiser

Whether or not Barack Obama's fandom will turn the Sox into a juggernaut, it can't hurt, so who cares? On top of that, this money is going to charity, so at least it's for a good cause.

spawn
01-27-2009, 11:44 AM

I hate to beat a dead horse (or one that should've been shot in the first page of this thread), but I have to address this nonsense. I can't dissect the 1988 roster. Should my loyalty with the Sox be questioned? For the record, I was stationed in Louisiana at the time, and back then you didn't have desktop computers or wi-fi cafes, or internet readily available to follow your favorite sports team as you do now. :rolleyes:

LoveYourSuit
01-27-2009, 11:44 AM
Let's not be silly; nothing happens at the snap of your fingers. Do I think this could increase the Sox fanbase around the world in the long term? Definitely.

All because the president wears a Sox hat.

I guess we missed on capitalizing on this marketing plan when famous rappers in the early 90s like Dre and Eazy E would be seen sporting White Sox hats in their videos.

oeo
01-27-2009, 11:45 AM

Ever hear of advertising? It works.

I'm done with this conversation.

Thome25
01-27-2009, 11:46 AM
I can see being happy for that lack of bandwagoners at games from a personal standpoint. It's easier to get tix, it's easier to park, it's easier to get a hot dog and go to the bathroom.

But, this doesn't make sense from a team standpoint. The White Sox have said the attendance affects player payroll. So, therefore it's highly possible that the more bandwagoners we have spending their hard-earned $$$ at USCF the better the team on the field will be.

For this reason, we should welcome all fans. No matter if they just so happen to be POTUS (national attention brings $$$ as well.) or a fan who jumped on after the 2005 WS.

Does any of this make anyone less of a fan? I don't think so.

jdm2662
01-27-2009, 11:47 AM
I hate to beat a dead horse (or one that should've been shot in the first page of this thread), but I have to address this nonsense. I can't dissect the 1988 roster. Should my loyalty with the Sox be questioned? For the record, I was stationed in Louisiana at the time, and back then you didn't have desktop computers or wi-fi cafes, or internet readily available to follow your favorite sports team as you do now. :rolleyes:

Don't feel so bad. You didn't miss much, trust me. :redneck

On another note, I do know Dave Gallagher led the team in hitting, and was the only .300 hitter on the team... Don't ask me how I know this. I have no idea.

Craig Grebeck
01-27-2009, 11:52 AM
It's OK to make fun of Cubs fans for being bandwagoners because their ownership never actually came out and said that attendance directly affected player payroll.

Nope....Tribune Company pocketed their money year in and year out instead of putting a winning team on the field with their revenue....and yet the dumbass Cubs bandwagoners were too stupid to realize this and packed the house regardless.

There's a difference. With White Sox bandwagoners, there was a good chance the $$$ would be put back into the team to try and win.
I see. Cubs = stupid, Sox = smart. Once again, the old formula has reared its ugly head. Bandwagon fans are bandwagon fans, it doesn't matter who they favor.

Britt Burns
01-27-2009, 11:55 AM
I'd buy one and I've got a million Sox hats. Cool by me.

areilly
01-27-2009, 12:03 PM

I guess we missed on capitalizing on this marketing plan when famous rappers in the early 90s like Dre and Eazy E would be seen sporting White Sox hats in their videos.

As a 12-year-old, I thought it was cool to see my favorite team's logo featured so prominently on MTV. Oddly, as a 29-year-old, I am considerably more ambivalent about the Commander in Chief doing the same.

soxfan21
01-27-2009, 12:05 PM
I see. Cubs = stupid, Sox = smart. Once again, the old formula has reared its ugly head. Bandwagon fans are bandwagon fans, it doesn't matter who they favor.

True.

kobo
01-27-2009, 12:28 PM

Hat sales are up 25% over this period last year. :shrug:

http://deadspin.com/5138482/get-this-man-in-a-chrysler-pt-cruiser

Whether or not Barack Obama's fandom will turn the Sox into a juggernaut, it can't hurt, so who cares? On top of that, this money is going to charity, so at least it's for a good cause.

Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

soxinem1
01-27-2009, 12:28 PM
Well, I couldn't disagree with you more. There were major increases in Sox apparel bought after the election...coincidence?

Get as much out of this as you can.

Then when his popularity goes down the tank, will these psuedo fans in turn blame the White Sox?:scratch::smile:

Will people be burning White Sox hats and shirts in the streets when he does something wrong?

If that is the case, I'd prefer things to be the way they are now.....

kittle42
01-27-2009, 12:30 PM

Yes - because posts like yours are veiled political shots.

voodoochile
01-27-2009, 12:51 PM

Actually, it's one of the reasons the Sox switched to black and it's led to them being some of the more popular selling merchandise - especially hats for long time. I see people sporting Sox caps all the time. I say, "go Sox" they look at me like I'm from another planet.

Black hats are stylish in hip hop circles...

all*star quentin
01-27-2009, 12:58 PM
Actually, it's one of the reasons the Sox switched to black and it's led to them being some of the more popular selling merchandise - especially hats for long time.

Didn't know that.

nasox
01-27-2009, 01:16 PM
Yes - because posts like yours are veiled political shots.

Yeah, can LoveYourSuit please stop trolling? Thanks!

I personally like the idea. It's going to charity, creates publicity and free advertising, and is simply smart business. I might buy one.

LoveYourSuit
01-27-2009, 01:21 PM
Yeah, can LoveYourSuit please stop trolling? Thanks!

I personally like the idea. It's going to charity, creates publicity and free advertising, and is simply smart business. I might buy one.

Sorry for having an opinion.

Didn't know it was trolling.

chisoxfanatic
01-27-2009, 01:22 PM
There's a difference between Obama and Bush, though. Bush never went out of his way to give love to the Rangers when he could. Obama has done that with the Sox. I think this is a very good idea. And, if I see them selling Obama Sox shirts at the ballpark this summer, I will buy one.

doublem23
01-27-2009, 01:34 PM
There's a difference between Obama and Bush, though. Bush never went out of his way to give love to the Rangers when he could. Obama has done that with the Sox. I think this is a very good idea. And, if I see them selling Obama Sox shirts at the ballpark this summer, I will buy one.

:?:

George Bush owned the Rangers.

kittle42
01-27-2009, 01:37 PM

Everyone else has been able to discuss this in a neutral fashion and your stuff has been pushing it into the inevitable breakdown political debate.

Bucky F. Dent
01-27-2009, 01:45 PM

What kobo said!

Thome25
01-27-2009, 01:51 PM

Trolling V. 1.)Being a jerk on the internet because you can. Typically unleashing one or more cynical or sarcastic remarks on an innocent by-stander, because it's the internet and, hey, you can.

2.) The act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet, generally on message boards. When done in a moderated internet community, this can result in banning.

There's the definition in case you didn't know what you were doing.

jamesdiego
01-27-2009, 01:54 PM

KW can attest to Obama to being a long time Sox fan, before 2005. The question is, do you have any proof, LoveYourSuit, that your a long time Sox fan?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/05/sports/baseball/05williams.html?ref=sports

esbrechtel
01-27-2009, 02:01 PM
you're not your....

"Your Sox" mean you own them.

"You're a Sox fan" means "you are."

chisoxfanatic
01-27-2009, 02:05 PM
:?:

George Bush owned the Rangers.
Yea, but he seldom talked about it, while Obama is constantly talking about his love for the Sox.

WhiteSox1989
01-27-2009, 02:07 PM
Whatever. Our president is a Sox fan. I think it's pretty cool. The hat could probably be a lot more creative, but I do like the idea. I just hope they don't take it too far.

MISoxfan
01-27-2009, 02:09 PM

Obama is not campaigning. He is the POTUS. Its no more of a political statement than going to the White House after winning the World Series, or putting an American flag patch on a uniform.

MISoxfan
01-27-2009, 02:13 PM

Do you have any idea how popular Sox hats were in the early 90's for that exact reason? I live in southern California and I probably see more Sox hats than Dodger and Angel hats. I see someone wearing a Sox hat every single day.

hi im skot
01-27-2009, 02:29 PM

You obviously don't remember "Straight Outta Bridgeport Day" back in late 1992. MC Ren threw out the first pitch and the enitre bullpen wore marijuana leaf gold chains.

Bruizer
01-27-2009, 02:37 PM
Off Topic - I just got back from a tour of President Obama's Transition Team Office here in Chicago. You can see the Cell from his office.

:cool:

kittle42
01-27-2009, 02:39 PM
you're not your....

"Your Sox" mean you own them.

You're my new favorite poster!

It really does amaze me how many people get that wrong. What the **** is so hard about it?

kittle42
01-27-2009, 02:40 PM
Yea, but he seldom talked about it, while Obama is constantly talking about his love for the Sox.

No, he's really not. Like, really, he isn't.

#1swisher
01-27-2009, 02:46 PM
Anyway to change this tread to a vote only?

I will buy this hat. (IMO)

spawn
01-27-2009, 02:46 PM
No, he's really not. Like, really, he isn't.
No kidding. He only professes his love when asked about it.

doublem23
01-27-2009, 02:47 PM
Anyway to change this tread to a vote only?

I will buy this hat. (IMO)

It hasn't even been given the OK to go to production yet... Settle down, friend.

esbrechtel
01-27-2009, 02:47 PM
You're my new favorite poster!

It really does amaze me how many people get that wrong. What the **** is so hard about it?

I was surprised I beat you to it Kittle!

I know you are the resident grammar sheriff!

I still like the There, Their typos.....(end Tread Hijack)

ode to veeck
01-27-2009, 02:50 PM
you know its a slow season when da clubhouse fills 100 posts on an obama sox hat

spawn
01-27-2009, 02:54 PM
you know its a slow season when da clubhouse fills 100 posts on an obama sox hat
I'm just glad it hasn't broken down into a discussion on whether Brian Anderson should start in CF this season...

Oops...:redneck

hawkjt
01-27-2009, 02:58 PM
We all pretty much know that the Sox hat is about the coolest in sports anyway so it appears all over the world on non-sox fans already.

Obama is the most famous person in the world right now..probably in history..and so if he is seen wearing a Sox hat, it helps world-wide sales.

An Obama/Sox hat will be attractive to Obama fans around the country and the world who do not even know what baseball is...

All the above is a positive developement for the Sox brand which enhances the franchise value..which can translate to better teams.

All politics aside, Obama has lived close to Soxpark for a couple of decades and has been to many games over that period.
I heard Jim Thome say that his wife was involved with the campaign and they had tickets to the inaugaration but had a conflict and gave the tickets to Harold Baines.
Thome is one of his favorite players but he is friendly with a number of the players.

As someone above said, when I see a sox hat on someone, I feel a bit better about that person immediately and when I see a Sox hat on the POTUS...it is all good for me.
I will be purchasing one of these hats even tho I have many Sox hats...they look good for any occasion,right?-:rolleyes:

ode to veeck
01-27-2009, 02:58 PM
I'm just glad it hasn't broken down into a discussion on whether Brian Anderson should start in CF this season...

maybe Ozzzie would play him against the correct pitching if he wore the new hats

hi im skot
01-27-2009, 03:20 PM
i'm just glad it hasn't broken down into a discussion on whether brian anderson should start in cf this season...

yes he can

cws05champ
01-27-2009, 03:21 PM
You think Obama can play Cf and lead off? I hope so....

whitesox901
01-27-2009, 03:33 PM
uh-oh

areilly
01-27-2009, 03:46 PM
uh-oh

:DJ
"You got that right, partner."

soxinem1
01-27-2009, 03:57 PM
You think Obama can play Cf and lead off? I hope so....

No, we have already witnessed what happens when basketball players try to play baseball for the White Sox.

Been there, done that.:smile:

kittle42
01-27-2009, 04:35 PM
No, we have already witnessed what happens when basketball players try to play baseball for the White Sox.

Been there, done that.:smile:

Well played!

Ranger
01-27-2009, 04:40 PM
Agree, now we'll have all the bandwagon fans coming aboard cause its "hip" to be a sox fan now.

It's never a bad thing for a team to acquire more fans, bandwagon or otherwise. Bandwagon and casual fans fill ballparks. That's always good.

JNS
01-27-2009, 04:47 PM

He's been a Sox fan since he got to Chicago - he's a neighbor and my former state senator. He likes baseball and he has followed the Sox for over 20 years.

I never discussed Fred Manrique with the guy, but he knows about Carlos Lee's thumb and Bill Veeck having an ashtray that screwed into his peg-leg! Believe me, the guy is for real regarding the Sox.

cards press box
01-27-2009, 04:49 PM
It's never a bad thing for a team to acquire more fans, bandwagon or otherwise. Bandwagon and casual fans fill ballparks. That's always good.

Absolutely correct. It is the casual fans who, through their attendance, supply the extra revenue needed to field competitive teams. I am glad to see the Sox market this new Obama/White Sox hat and if it helps make the Sox a national story, that's great, too.

Ranger, on an unrelated note, do you expect any Sox personnel moves before Soxfest?

JNS
01-27-2009, 04:50 PM
Do you have any idea how popular Sox hats were in the early 90's for that exact reason? I live in southern California and I probably see more Sox hats than Dodger and Angel hats. I see someone wearing a Sox hat every single day.

Back when the Sox went back to the pinstripes and the modified 1950s - 60s cap in about 1990 or 91 Sox stuff were the #1 selling logo for a year or two.

CLR01
01-27-2009, 05:11 PM

This is a talented group of posters. We could squeeze out a 100 posts about a tomato.

Ranger
01-27-2009, 05:17 PM

I'm not really sure I understand this need to be a bigger or better fan of your team then somebody else, or how anyone can say that their allegiance to a team is more important than somebody else's. You love the Sox, Obama says he loves the Sox...and I don't have a reason to believe he doesn't. I also don't see how he should ever have to prove anything to you or any other Sox fan in order to be considered one.

I moved to Chicago in 2002, I've been following them closely since I arrived and since I was in college in the late 90's and they were always my AL team as a kid growing up in St. Louis (Cardinals fan in my youth...didn't a lot of people here have a team they adopted as their NL team? Well, we did when I was a kid). I have not been a lifelong, die-hard Sox fan, but I will guarantee you that very few people get more irritated about Sox losses than I do, and my desire for them to win is as strong as anyone else's. I am not a casual fan of this team, but I consider everyone's fanship to be important. Anyway, that's my story.

The vast majority of people who consider themselves fans of any team, are more often than not, casual fans. Whether Obama is a casual fan -- as most people that fill stadiums are -- or a die hard, is irrelevant. Casual fans are no less legitimate than you.

TornLabrum
01-27-2009, 05:30 PM
I'm not really sure I understand this need to be a bigger or better fan of your team then somebody else, or how anyone can say that their allegiance to a team is more important than somebody else's. You love the Sox, Obama says he loves the Sox...and I don't have a reason to believe he doesn't. I also don't see how he should ever have to prove anything to you or any other Sox fan in order to be considered one.

I moved to Chicago in 2002, I've been following them closely since I arrived and since I was in college in the late 90's and they were always my AL team as a kid growing up in St. Louis (Cardinals fan in my youth...didn't a lot of people here have a team they adopted as their NL team? Well, we did when I was a kid). I have not been a lifelong, die-hard Sox fan, but I will guarantee you that very few people get more irritated about Sox losses than I do, and my desire for them to win is as strong as anyone else's. I am not a casual fan of this team, but I consider everyone's fanship to be important. Anyway, that's my story.

The vast majority of people who consider themselves fans of any team, are more often than not, casual fans. Whether Obama is a casual fan -- as most people that fill stadiums are -- or a die hard, is irrelevant. Casual fans are no less legitimate than you.

I've been a Sox fan since 1955 and have probably forgotten more Sox baseball than most people here even remember. Still, if pressed, I don't think I would have remembered that Manrique or Morman were on the '88 Sox. That's probably the part that I've forgotten...what specific years certain players played. Now if LYS had mentioned Dave Gallagher....

Ranger
01-27-2009, 05:36 PM
you're not your....

"Your Sox" means you own them.

I love you. This primer should be at the top of every thread from here on out, but please add the following:

"Their" also denoted ownership: "The Sox are their team."

"They're" is a contraction that means "They are": "They're going to the Sox game tonight."

"There" most commonly an adverb: "It's over there. There it is. Let's go there. There will probably not be anymore significant moves before spring training."

TheCommander
01-27-2009, 05:37 PM

Because he just likes to stir the ****. Then when someone calls him out on it,he likes to pull the "Who me? What did I do?" act.

turners56
01-27-2009, 06:36 PM
I thought they would be a lot cooler than just a logo on the side of the cap. It's nice to see the Sox taking advantage of this opportunity, hat sales will skyrocket. I hope they don't overdo this though...

Martinigirl
01-27-2009, 06:42 PM
Exactly....didn't he refuse to wear a Red Sawx cap one time?

Yes he did, turning down a Red Sox cap at Harvard saying "No thanks, my Sox are white." He also asked members of the Illinois National Guard, that were talking to him live from Afghanistan, at the Commander and Chief Inaugural Ball, if the were Sox or Cub fans and was noticeably irritated when the majority said Cub fans.

I have no idea why every time this topic comes up there are people questioning his fandom. The last time I remember this topic coming up was in September when some were absolutely convinced that Obama would throw out a first pitch at Wrigley for a Cubs playoff game. People were absolutely adamant about it, even after his comments to ESPN.

He sounds like the vast majority of us when it comes to the Sox vs. the Cubs, and, regardless of political leanings, I don't understand why it is so hard for some to accept he is genuinely a big Sox fan.

turners56
01-27-2009, 06:48 PM

Exactly, he goes out of his way to showcase this. It's like Kenny and JR are paying him to sport White Sox gear and talk about them constantly. Bush was a very quiet sports fan.

asindc
01-27-2009, 07:12 PM
Yes he did, turning down a Red Sox cap at Harvard saying "No thanks, my Sox are white." He also asked members of the Illinois National Guard, that were talking to him live from Afghanistan, at the Commander and Chief Inaugural Ball, if the were Sox or Cub fans and was noticeably irritated when the majority said Cub fans.

I have no idea why every time this topic comes up there are people questioning his fandom. The last time I remember this topic coming up was in September when some were absolutely convinced that Obama would throw out a first pitch at Wrigley for a Cubs playoff game. People were absolutely adamant about it, even after his comments to ESPN.

He sounds like the vast majority of us when it comes to the Sox vs. the Cubs, and, regardless of political leanings, I don't understand why it is so hard for some to accept he is genuinely a big Sox fan.

And there is this: In the Inaugural Parade, the Illinois float featured a guy in a Sox uniform costume and the Sox logo on the float itself, but no mention of the Cubs. Coincidence... well, I guess you could plausibly come to that conclusion.

LoveYourSuit, the President is a Sox fan.

MarySwiss
01-27-2009, 07:23 PM
And there is this: In the Inaugural Parade, the Illinois float featured a guy in a Sox uniform costume and the Sox logo on the float itself, but no mention of the Cubs. Coincidence... well, I guess you could plausibly come to that conclusion.

LoveYourSuit, the President is a Sox fan.

And I cannot understand why Sox fans would not want to revel in this. What's there to be ashamed of? As others have said, he's proven time and again that he is a true Sox fan.

Perhaps the best evidence is those candid photos when he is leaving the gym or dropping his kids off at school sporting Sox gear.

I for one take pleasure in telling folks out here in Arizona that the POTUS and I have the same hat!

ChiSoxFan81
01-27-2009, 07:30 PM
Don't think anyone would have predicted this.....

:tomatoaward

Quentin08
01-27-2009, 10:36 PM
I wonder if that certain team on the other side of town will start their own marketing plan with Michelle Obama? She's reportedly a Cubs fan, according to this article (see the last sentence). http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/ny-sppresidents256012174jan25,0,5447646.story

whitesox901
01-27-2009, 10:54 PM
wow, a 100+ post thread about Obama and its still open?

surprised I am

BadBobbyJenks
01-27-2009, 11:37 PM
Anyone seen the photoshopped picture of the White House and US cellular field? I cannot find a good version of it.

Nellie_Fox
01-27-2009, 11:48 PM
This is a talented group of posters. We could squeeze out a 100 posts about a tomato.Or a ****ing hat.

Don't think anyone would have predicted this.....

:tomatoawardI would have.

nasox
01-28-2009, 12:20 AM
Ok, photoshoppers. You need to do your magic with the tomato award. We need a Obama Sox Hat Award for any thread that has 100 posts teetering precariously into the roadhouse.

TheOzziePlan
01-28-2009, 01:31 AM

I agree. Well put.

esbrechtel
01-28-2009, 07:35 AM
I love you. This primer should be at the top of every thread from here on out, but please add the following:

"Their" also denoted ownership: "The Sox are their team."

"They're" is a contraction that means "They are": "They're going to the Sox game tonight."

"There" most commonly an adverb: "It's over there. There it is. Let's go there. There will probably not be anymore significant moves before spring training."

It's great to get a compliment from the ranger! Do I get a triple threat sports gift card? :redneck

Iwritecode
01-28-2009, 10:40 AM
This is a talented group of posters. We could squeeze out a 100 posts about a tomato.

I'd like to test this theory...

Jenks4Prez
01-28-2009, 01:27 PM
Just what this city needs.....more cheesy Obama Apparel!!!!

chaotic8512
01-28-2009, 01:57 PM
Just what this city needs.....more cheesy Obama Apparel!!!!

Well Jenks4Prez, I'm guessing you're just upset that the Jenks/Thornton '08 campaign fizzled, huh?

hawkjt
01-28-2009, 03:12 PM
Well Jenks4Prez, I'm guessing you're just upset that the Jenks/Thornton '08 campaign fizzled, huh?

Jenks would never take the paycut...5.8 million to 400k? fuggitabottitt:D:

Jenks4Prez
01-28-2009, 04:25 PM

Jenks/Thornton would be ready for that 3 a.m. phone call.

whitesox901
01-28-2009, 04:44 PM

:rolling:

october23sp
01-28-2009, 10:31 PM
I agree with what another poster said earlier, having the circle logo be the o in sox. Would look cool.

howzer12
01-28-2009, 10:56 PM
Baracko may have first become a White Sox fan back in 1968 when the Hawaii Islanders were the Sox AAA affiliate.:bandance:

krispoulin
04-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Does anyone know if this hat actually ever went into production? I can't seem to find one for sale anywhere.

Thanks!

anewman35
04-08-2009, 10:28 PM
Does anyone know if this hat actually ever went into production? I can't seem to find one for sale anywhere.

Thanks!

No, it was mentioned in USA Today the other day that Obama requested they not do it.