PDA

View Full Version : Pettitte Signs With Yankees

MarkZ35
01-26-2009, 10:42 PM
Pettitte finally re signs with the Yankees.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3861386

guillensdisciple
01-26-2009, 11:00 PM
:shocked:

whitesox901
01-26-2009, 11:25 PM
not suprised

DSpivack
01-27-2009, 12:32 AM
$5.5 mil? Not bad.

cards press box
01-27-2009, 02:48 AM
One observation and one question:

(1) The market for Pettitte seemed to drop precipitously as the winter has progressed; and

(2) Does the Yankees' signing of Pettitte increase the White Sox' chances of signing Cuban emigre Yadel Marti?

Huisj
01-27-2009, 10:29 AM
So their rotation looks to be this:

Sabathia
Burnett
Wang
Chamberlain
Pettitte

That's darn good, and yet somehow I can see potential problems. What are the odds that all of those guys make it through the year without DL stints? Wang is coming off a bad foot injury, Chamberlain battled rotator cuff problems late last year after a few months as a starter, and Burnett is always battling something in his arm, whether it's scar tissue from old surgeries, sore shoulders, or sore forarm muscles. Pettitte is 36 and ended last year with a "tired" shoulder, and who knows what lurks below Sabathia's arm with all the innings it's gone in the last few seasons.

Phil Hughes better get his arm healthy, because they might need it.

pythons007
01-27-2009, 11:21 AM
One observation and one question:

(1) The market for Pettitte seemed to drop precipitously as the winter has progressed; and

(2) Does the Yankees' signing of Pettitte increase the White Sox' chances of signing Cuban emigre Yadel Marti?

Where are people getting this from? Weren't they just kicked off the Cuban National team? There are no articles or rumors saying that they are even coming to the States let alone the White Sox. If I'm missing something please let me know.

oeo
01-27-2009, 11:24 AM
That's darn good, and yet somehow I can see potential problems. What are the odds that all of those guys make it through the year without DL stints?

Slim to none. I could realistically see three of those five missing at the same time, which puts them right back where they were last year.

Marqhead
01-27-2009, 11:28 AM
Slim to none. I could realistically see three of those five missing at the same time, which puts them right back where they were last year.

I could also see them each starting 200 innings and piling up 15-20 wins a piece. If they avoid the DL, their rotation will be phenomenal.

CashMan
01-27-2009, 11:45 AM
I could also see them each starting 200 innings and piling up 15-20 wins a piece. If they avoid the DL, their rotation will be phenomenal.

What makes you think Burnett will pitch 200 innings? Perhaps his contract year this past year?

doublem23
01-27-2009, 12:23 PM
$5.5 mil? Not bad.

Especially since he turned down a $10 million contract from them eariler this off-season.

KenBerryGrab
01-27-2009, 12:25 PM
He can earn $12 million with incentives. It's not a cheap contract.

DirtySox
01-27-2009, 12:28 PM
Where are people getting this from? Weren't they just kicked off the Cuban National team? There are no articles or rumors saying that they are even coming to the States let alone the White Sox. If I'm missing something please let me know.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/ny-spcuba1112349717jan11,0,4065293.story

Marqhead
01-27-2009, 01:03 PM
What makes you think Burnett will pitch 200 innings? Perhaps his contract year this past year?

He has a history of injuries. It is very possible he hits the DL for multiple stints.

He has also pitched 200 innings in 3 seasons. I can see him having another great year. Nothing is a given, but he definitely has the talent to have a great year in NY.

the gooch
01-27-2009, 01:15 PM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/ny-spcuba1112349717jan11,0,4065293.story

Where are people getting this from? Weren't they just kicked off the Cuban National team? There are no articles or rumors saying that they are even coming to the States let alone the White Sox. If I'm missing something please let me know.These two are training in New York, and the article says: "From there, Gomez said, they hope it'll be a short ride to Opening Day." In the video Gomez says he likes the Yankees because they are the best team. (They haven't won the WS since 2000. Where does this crap come from?)

Marti says he wants to play on a team with Latinos. The first team he mentions is the White Sox, then Yankees, Boston, Cleveland.

Does anyone know if they plan to sign together as a package deal? What price range are they likely to get? Sorry for the hijack from Pettitte.

turners56
01-27-2009, 07:53 PM
So their rotation looks to be this:

Sabathia
Burnett
Wang
Chamberlain
Pettitte

That's darn good, and yet somehow I can see potential problems. What are the odds that all of those guys make it through the year without DL stints? Wang is coming off a bad foot injury, Chamberlain battled rotator cuff problems late last year after a few months as a starter, and Burnett is always battling something in his arm, whether it's scar tissue from old surgeries, sore shoulders, or sore forarm muscles. Pettitte is 36 and ended last year with a "tired" shoulder, and who knows what lurks below Sabathia's arm with all the innings it's gone in the last few seasons.

Phil Hughes better get his arm healthy, because they might need it.

Barring injuries, the Yankees are a easy pick to at least make it to the playoffs this year. But in the AL East, nothing is certain.