PDA

View Full Version : My trip to Piratefest in Pittsburgh

Jurr
01-25-2009, 08:39 AM
Yesterday, I attended Piratefest, which obviously is the Buccos' annual fan weekend. The typical business was taking place - kids playing games, interactive video booths with FSN, autographs, etc. The best part was the fan Q&A with management.

People were irate, asking management why they had made no upgrades to a 67 win team. They received the same old stock answers of "we're building from the minors up, and we do have a plan."

The best questions came from kids.

Young (8 or 9) Pirates fan #1 (to Nate Mclouth): "Nate, now that Jason Bay and Xavier Nady are gone and you have no help in the outfield, how will you win next year?"

Mclouth (Sitting next to Brandon Moss and Nyjer Morgan, the replacements in the OF): Ummm..(laughs)..the guys that are here will be very good players. I do miss Jason and Xavier, but we have to step up."

Young (9 years old) Pirates fan #2 (to Frank Coonley, GM)- "I'm 9 years old. Will I ever see the Pirates have a winning season?" (this is where I absolutely lost it..snickering everywhere)
Coonley: "Yes, you will."

Quote of the day (in the beer line): The phone rings, and a middle aged gentleman picks up the phone. He says, "Hello? Hey. I'm at Piratesfest and I want to blow my brains out. Same old s***."

jamokes
01-25-2009, 09:09 AM
You can only feel for Pirate fans.

MinnySoxFan
01-25-2009, 09:26 AM
I attended the Twins Caravan event on Thursday for 8 dollars. I got a chicken dinner and met Dan Gladden, Nick Blackburn, Scott Baker, and their pitching coach Rick Anderson. I went and got their autographs and while they were signing, I told them I was a Sox fan...The look on their faces were priceless. They said they are scared of our power hitters. I just went "Yup."

Brian26
01-25-2009, 10:35 AM
Young (8 or 9) Pirates fan #1 (to Nate Mclouth): "Nate, now that Jason Bay and Xavier Nady are gone and you have no help in the outfield, how will you win next year?"

Young (9 years old) Pirates fan #2 (to Frank Coonley, GM)- "I'm 9 years old. Will I ever see the Pirates have a winning season?" (this is where I absolutely lost it..snickering everywhere)

Actually, it doesn't sound that far removed from Soxfest. Except, at Soxfest, those type of questions come from grown adults that should know better.

BleacherBandit
01-25-2009, 12:02 PM
At least they have the Steelers.

I wonder what sports conventions in Cleveland must be like.

Jurr
01-25-2009, 02:11 PM
Oh, another weird event was a question for Freddy Sanchez. He was asked who the toughest pitcher is that they face. Without any pause, he went on a 2 minute dissertation as to why Carlos Marmol is the toughest pitcher they go up against. Most of the team agreed. Wha?????? Santana? Hamels? Zambrano?

The players were adamant that Marmol was nothing but lights out.

whitesox901
01-25-2009, 02:24 PM
Actually, it doesn't sound that far removed from Soxfest. Except, at Soxfest, those type of questions come from grown adults that should know better.

:redneck

PKalltheway
01-25-2009, 03:27 PM
I got the opportunity in 2007 to go to Pittsburgh to see the Pirates play. Just from my observations while I was there, it seems like Bucs are the white elephant in the room as far as the Pittsburgh sports scene goes. Everybody knows that they are there, but they don't really want to talk about them too much. Can you blame them?

Needless to say, PNC is an absolutely beautiful ballpark, and I applaud any Pirate fans out there who continue to show up to see them play. I'm sure that even after 16 years some of the die-hards are starting to lose faith, however many of them are left....

Konerko05
01-25-2009, 05:13 PM
Oh, another weird event was a question for Freddy Sanchez. He was asked who the toughest pitcher is that they face. Without any pause, he went on a 2 minute dissertation as to why Carlos Marmol is the toughest pitcher they go up against. Most of the team agreed. Wha?????? Santana? Hamels? Zambrano?

That doesn't surprise. Marmol's stuff is unbelievable.

87.3 IP.
40 H.
114 SO

His problem is control. The only time he ever gets into trouble is when he is walking everone. You don't see many hitters square one up off him.

ChiSoxGirl
01-25-2009, 09:44 PM
Quote of the day (in the beer line): The phone rings, and a middle aged gentleman picks up the phone. He says, "Hello? Hey. I'm at Piratesfest and I want to blow my brains out. Same old s***."

:roflmao: I can totally picture this and it just made me laugh. It sure is a sad state of affairs out in Pittsburgh. Such a beautiful ballpark, and all they ever field is crap, save guys like Freddy Sanchez.

DumpJerry
01-25-2009, 11:22 PM
At least they have the Steelers.

I wonder what sports conventions in Cleveland must be like.
Cleveland? How about Detroit with the 2008 World Series champions Tigers whose regular season record was 160-2? Or the NFC North champs 16-0 Lions?

Oh wait..........:rolleyes:

At least they have the Dead Things.

AZChiSoxFan
01-26-2009, 01:19 PM
Coonley: "Yes, you will."

LOL, that's classic. Good for that kid.

JermaineDye05
01-26-2009, 01:29 PM

Well the Cubs do own the Pirates so I'm not surprised that it's Marmol's name that came up. He does have nasty stuff though.

That doesn't surprise. Marmol's stuff is unbelievable.

87.3 IP.
40 H.
114 SO

His problem is control. The only time he ever gets into trouble is when he is walking everone. You don't see many hitters square one up off him.

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_435041.jpg

"Ahem..."

To be honest, I couldn't believe Carlos knocked that one out.

EnglishChiSox
01-26-2009, 02:37 PM
Cleveland? How about Detroit with the 2008 World Series champions Tigers whose regular season record was 160-2? Or the NFC North champs 16-0 Lions?

Oh wait..........:rolleyes:

At least they have the Dead Things.

They're probably not having them this year, auditioning members of the General public for the Bullpen instead.

areilly
01-26-2009, 02:54 PM

Thanks for the new sig, Jurr!

:gulp: