PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Sign 23 Year Old 1B/OF Seth Loman

DirtySox
01-23-2009, 10:48 PM
http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3768125

Interesting. I wonder why the Angels released him after his success in their farm system.

eriqjaffe
01-23-2009, 10:55 PM
A power hitting corner outfielder/first baseman? Just what this team needs!

KyWhiSoxFan
01-23-2009, 11:02 PM
I wonder if it's Willy Loman's son. ... We'll have to ask Arthur Miller.

DirtySox
01-23-2009, 11:09 PM
He was #2 on BA's top 20 Independent League Prospects list. The blurb mentions he isn't very coachable.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/independent-audit/2008/267000.html

WhiteSox5187
01-23-2009, 11:13 PM
He was #2 on BA's top 20 Independent League Prospects list. The blurb mentions he isn't very coachable.

Coop'll fix him.

gr8mexico
01-23-2009, 11:14 PM

Sounds like Bobby Jenks Part II:bandance:

Milw
01-23-2009, 11:21 PM
http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3768125

Interesting. I wonder why the Angels released him after his success in their farm system.
Maybe he lit his hand on fire on a bar dare.

thedudeabides
01-23-2009, 11:34 PM
Remember what happened the last time we brought in an Angels farm system reject....somebody had to say it.

kjhanson
01-24-2009, 12:06 AM
Remember what happened the last time we brought in an Angels farm system reject....somebody had to say it.

Apparently, two somebodys had to say it. Look two posts up.

thomas35forever
01-24-2009, 12:08 AM
I can't say I have high hopes for him. He's not really a player who represents the direction the Sox are going in.

thedudeabides
01-24-2009, 12:10 AM
Apparently, two somebodys had to say it. Look two posts up.

I'm slow.

JB98
01-24-2009, 12:20 AM
A power hitting corner outfielder/first baseman? Just what this team needs!

Eventually, Dye, Thome and Konerko are going to have to be replaced. Probably sooner rather than later. What the hell is wrong with signing a 23-year-old prospect and giving him a shot?

I've never seen the guy play, but it seems like a worthwhile gamble.

SBSoxFan
01-24-2009, 12:25 AM

It says he's been reluctant to let people tinker with his swing. Based on the numbers, it looks like he has good reason. I guess Walker will be the perfect hitting coach for him!

When does Dye get traded?

FedEx227
01-24-2009, 12:40 AM
Can't hurt, but we already have Konerko's replacement in the system: Tyler Flowers.

Domeshot17
01-24-2009, 12:44 AM
I can't say I have high hopes for him. He's not really a player who represents the direction the Sox are going in.

I disagree. There are VERY FEW small ball teams that have speed out of the middle of their order. Even the small ball teams have their slow sluggers somewhere, they just are not all over the lineup.

gr8mexico
01-24-2009, 12:49 AM
Can't hurt, but we already have Konerko's replacement in the system: Tyler Flowers.
Dont forget about Brandon Allen , Josh Fields , Dayan Viciedo

Konerko05
01-24-2009, 12:56 AM

What does that even mean?

Domeshot17
01-24-2009, 01:55 AM
What does that even mean?

Speed hitters. You know Kenny always emulating someone. Must have loved the butt kicking we got because he wants a team like the Rays now with athletic players.

I guess what most people don't get is while the Rays offense was fun, the reason they were so good was fantastic rotation and a great bullpen.

doublem23
01-24-2009, 01:55 AM

Somebody's got to replace Jim Thome, too. :cool:

As has been said before, the Sox seem to have a pretty good eye/luck when it comes to these younger, reclamation projects. Power is still the most valuable commodity in baseball, you can never have too much of it.

whitesox901
01-24-2009, 03:00 AM
Somebody's got to replace Jim Thome, too. :cool:

As has been said before, the Sox seem to have a pretty good eye/luck when it comes to these younger, reclamation projects. Power is still the most valuable commodity in baseball, you can never have too much of it.

Plus IMO, when you play at the Cell for 81 games, you need 4 Power Hitters 3-6 in the line up.

guillensdisciple
01-24-2009, 03:12 AM
Speed hitters. You know Kenny always emulating someone. Must have loved the butt kicking we got because he wants a team like the Rays now with athletic players.

I guess what most people don't get is while the Rays offense was fun, the reason they were so good was fantastic rotation and a great bullpen.

It could have been that and the fact that he had won the previous one by using that formula.

Frater Perdurabo
01-24-2009, 07:08 AM
Power is still the most valuable commodity in baseball, you can never have too much of it.

:rolling:

Frater Perdurabo
01-24-2009, 07:08 AM
Eventually, Dye, Thome and Konerko are going to have to be replaced. Probably sooner rather than later.

Some sooner than others, too. :tongue:

doublem23
01-24-2009, 05:12 PM
:rolling:

You're right, everyone wants 9 Carlos Gomezs, David Ecksteins, or Mike Carusos.

:rolleyes:

Domeshot17
01-24-2009, 05:55 PM
It could have been that and the fact that he had won the previous one by using that formula.

that is more myth then truth.

We had Pods and no one else for speed that year. Iguchi had limited speed, Uribe none, Rowand average at best, Dye none, Everett Clogger Pk Clogger Crede Clogger Aj Clogger.

We were a smart team that year on the bases, but not a fast one. This idea that Ozzieball won it for us that year is also total myth, as again, what won it was an unreal rotation and a great bullpen

BleacherBandit
01-24-2009, 07:08 PM
I don't see what the problem is. We all don't have any idea how he'll play, and just because we didn't sign some speedy outfielder, it doesn't mean we still can't later on. This kid isn't going to play next year, so I wouldn't sweat it.

FedEx227
01-24-2009, 07:10 PM
I don't see what the problem is. We all don't have any idea how he'll play, and just because we didn't sign some speedy outfielder, it doesn't mean we still can't later on. This kid isn't going to play next year, so I wouldn't sweat it.

No, I love the deal. Finally they sign a youngster. You never know what you can get with a 23-year old so why not give it a show. Definitely beats signing some rusty old veteran that wasn't even good in his supposed "prime". We'll figure out where he plays, when he can get to that level.

Frontman
01-24-2009, 07:26 PM
Power is still the most valuable commodity in baseball, you can never have too much of it.

*cough* PITCHING *cough*

Sorry, something got caught in my throat.

Lip Man 1
01-24-2009, 07:41 PM
Domeshot:

Add I guess the Sox being in the top four that season in stolen bases, infield hits, sacrifice flys and sacrifice bunts had NOTHING to do with that astonishing record in one run games.

Lip

Daver
01-24-2009, 07:46 PM

Pitching is the most valuable commodity in baseball, nothing else is even close.

Frater Perdurabo
01-24-2009, 09:57 PM
You're right, everyone wants 9 Carlos Gomezs, David Ecksteins, or Mike Carusos.

I thought you were being funny. I didn't know you were serious. I agree with Daver and others; pitching is the most important commodity.

DumpJerry
01-24-2009, 10:14 PM
So, BA says he not very "coachable?" That may be because he has not had to answer to Ozzie Guillen. Yet.

WhiteSox5187
01-24-2009, 11:20 PM
Pitching is the most valuable commodity in baseball, nothing else is even close.
I thought it was corner outfielders! Ugh! So this is why my fantasy teams always suck!

Domeshot17
01-25-2009, 04:01 AM
Domeshot:

Add I guess the Sox being in the top four that season in stolen bases, infield hits, sacrifice flys and sacrifice bunts had NOTHING to do with that astonishing record in one run games.

Lip

It had less to do with it than our bullpen and pitching staff holding leads. We had a real dry spell if you recall where our offense was so pathetic we were blowing our divisional lead, but the Staff kept us in it.

And if you read what I was saying, I was saying we won that year with a very similiar team to our 2006 team. We had some speed, but it was mostly SMART base running vs flat out speed and knowing how to use it. Post a repeat of the 2005 staff on the 2006 team and we are repeat back to back champs.

I mean really ask yourself, if you could put the 2006 offense with the 2005 Pitching Staff or the 2005 Offense with the 2006 Pitching Staff, who would win a title?

Great Pitching will always beat Great Hitting

Lip Man 1
01-25-2009, 12:34 PM
Dome:

Not disagreeing with that at all.

My point is that in 2005 the Sox were a BALANCED team that could beat you in a number of ways. Pitching, timely hitting, home runs, stolen bases, bunts ALL contributed.

The Sox have lost that balance and that's why they have had some issues especially in 2007 and the back half of the 2006 season.

That's what needs to return.

Lip

Domeshot17
01-25-2009, 01:06 PM
Don't disagree Lip, I guess my initial reaction to this was why are we complaining about a 1b who hits for power but lacks speed. No matter how much balance and speed you have in your lineup, odds are your 3-4-5 hitters are going to be slow, and 2 of those are most likely your First Baseman and/or a Corner OF. Very few teams, even the fastest ones, have speed in the middle of their lineup. The change has to come from not having speed at the top and bottom and having more balance there. The problem is, we are adding the speed by filtering in Fields and Getz/Lillbridge and Owens etc. but none of those 3 is a lead off man, none of those 3 are balanced hitters (Fields will always be a high K power hitter who runs the bases well, there is a 50/50 shot neither of those 2b work out at all and Owens, well has only 1 tool, speed).

01-25-2009, 01:42 PM
Don't disagree Lip, I guess my initial reaction to this was why are we complaining about a 1b who hits for power but lacks speed. No matter how much balance and speed you have in your lineup, odds are your 3-4-5 hitters are going to be slow, and 2 of those are most likely your First Baseman and/or a Corner OF. Very few teams, even the fastest ones, have speed in the middle of their lineup. The change has to come from not having speed at the top and bottom and having more balance there. The problem is, we are adding the speed by filtering in Fields and Getz/Lillbridge and Owens etc. but none of those 3 is a lead off man, none of those 3 are balanced hitters (Fields will always be a high K power hitter who runs the bases well, there is a 50/50 shot neither of those 2b work out at all and Owens, well has only 1 tool, speed).

With Quentin, Dye, Konerko & Thome occupying the 3-6 slots in the lineup, is there a possibility Beckham would lead off if he somehow made the club out of ST?

Domeshot17
01-25-2009, 02:44 PM
With Quentin, Dye, Konerko & Thome occupying the 3-6 slots in the lineup, is there a possibility Beckham would lead off if he somehow made the club out of ST?

I don't think he has the speed. If he makes the team the only realistic possibilities are TCM in CF or Getz and Lillibridge blow it. Lets say its the first one. You at that point have NO CHOICE but to lead off Alexei (big mistake) and hit Getz 2 and Beckham around 7

hi im skot
01-25-2009, 02:44 PM
Gotta love that people are complaining about a young guy that none of us have actually seen.

soxfanreggie
01-25-2009, 03:06 PM
I'm willing to give this guy a shot. Who knows what he can turn into. What really do we have to lose? It's not like we signed him to a Major League contract. If things don't work out, we can always waive/release him.

officerron
01-25-2009, 03:15 PM

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp183/mcbtrain929/6.jpg

Sargeant79
01-25-2009, 04:18 PM
Gotta love that people are complaining about a young guy that none of us have actually seen.

What I love even more is that people are complaining about him as if he is expected to contribute to the organization in any way. This guy has never played above rookie ball and by no means is considered a prospect.

Is the offseason really so boring this year that we've begun to analyze every roster move that Kannapolis makes?

goon
01-25-2009, 04:48 PM
What I love even more is that people are complaining about him as if he is expected to contribute to the organization in any way. This guy has never played above rookie ball and by no means is considered a prospect.

Is the offseason really so boring this year that we've begun to analyze every roster move that Kannapolis makes?

I think it's a move worth noting.

cws05champ
01-25-2009, 05:11 PM
As long as he was not added to the 40 man roster, why not.

JB98
01-25-2009, 10:55 PM

One of my favorite threads here was the day the Sox signed Craig Wilson to a minor-league deal. They needed someone to fill out the roster at Charlotte. People here wanted KW fired. Wilson never appeared in a single game with the Sox.

01-25-2009, 11:56 PM
http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp183/mcbtrain929/6.jpg

.519 OBP and 17/20 in SB in 275 AB with Georgia last year. High OBP and decent speed.. hmmm sounds like a potental lead off hitter. It's not as if I suggested him over a better candidate. We already have power in the 3-8 spots in the lineup.

Sargeant79
01-26-2009, 06:35 AM
I think it's a move worth noting.

I guess, but my point is that each team makes several moves like this every single offseason. They need to field full rosters in the minors and if something happens more than that, great. But the low minor leagues are filled with guys like this.

jabrch
01-26-2009, 08:31 AM
I guess, but my point is that each team makes several moves like this every single offseason. They need to field full rosters in the minors and if something happens more than that, great. But the low minor leagues are filled with guys like this.

There aren't many 23 yo in the low minors. That said, I agree it is worth noting - and not worth anyone having a cow over. The Craig Wilson comparison is good.

The odds of him appearing on the big club are very small.