PDA

View Full Version : Uniform Changes....For Those Of you Keeping Score.

Thome25
01-23-2009, 04:06 PM
How many teams have changed their uniforms this season? I count the Red Sawx, Orioles, Rangers, Nationals, and Pirates. Did I miss any?

I can't remember a time when I've seen so many teams change uniforms in one season.

I like following the history of MLB uniforms.....I highly reccommend the book "Baseball Uniforms Of The 20th Century" by Mark Okkonen. It is out-of-print so I'd recommend picking it up if you can find it. It's the book where all of drawings of those generic no face mannequins with the old uniforms on them originated from.

2009 may be hard for the casual (aka Cubs ) fan to try and follow the opposing teams because of the uni changes. Which uni change for 2009 is your favorite?

soltrain21
01-23-2009, 04:10 PM
How many teams have changed their uniforms this season? I count the Red Sawx, Orioles, Rangers, Nationals, and Pirates. Did I miss any?

I can't remember a time when I've seen so many teams change uniforms in one season.

I like following the history of MLB uniforms.....I highly reccommend the book "Baseball Uniforms Of The 20th Century" by Mark Okkonen. It is out-of-print so I'd recommend picking it up if you can find it. It's the book where all of drawings of those generic no face mannequins with the old uniforms on them originated from.

2009 may be hard for the casual (aka Cubs ) fan to try and follow the opposing teams because of the uni changes. Which uni change for 2009 is your favorite?

Dumb.

anewman35
01-23-2009, 04:16 PM

Most of the changes are fairly minor, though. None of them has a totally new logo or anything, like the Rays did last year.

Speaking of which, the Rays have a new blue alt: http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3373627&cp=1452368.1452909

hi im skot
01-23-2009, 08:40 PM
Death to the "Cool Base" jersey.

anewman35
01-23-2009, 08:54 PM
Another one: The Twins are going to wear a 1982 design every Sunday home game. As much as I hate the Twins, I kinda like the uniform.

http://media.myfoxtwincities.com/images/twinsthrowback.jpg

hi im skot
01-23-2009, 09:04 PM
Another one: The Twins are going to wear a 1982 design every Sunday home game. As much as I hate the Twins, I kinda like the uniform.

Good choice. The powder blue road jersey is even better.

turners56
01-23-2009, 09:17 PM
Most of the changes are fairly minor, though. None of them has a totally new logo or anything, like the Rays did last year.

Speaking of which, the Rays have a new blue alt: http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3373627&cp=1452368.1452909

I like it.

turners56
01-23-2009, 09:18 PM

http://media.myfoxtwincities.com/images/twinsthrowback.jpg

They finally got rid of those ugly blue pinstripes.

eriqjaffe
01-23-2009, 09:59 PM
I like following the history of MLB uniforms.....I highly reccommend the book "Baseball Uniforms Of The 20th Century" by Mark Okkonen. It is out-of-print so I'd recommend picking it up if you can find it. It's the book where all of drawings of those generic no face mannequins with the old uniforms on them originated from.A good chunk of that book is preserved online:

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/database.htm

Milw
01-23-2009, 10:24 PM
They finally got rid of those ugly blue pinstripes.
Huh. That's the only one of their jerseys I actually like.

whitesox901
01-24-2009, 02:14 AM

Those look nice, as much as I hate the Twins, I always liked their uni's

johnnyg83
01-24-2009, 01:38 PM
I like the Twins unis -- except -- except for the pinstripes on the away greys ... which I think look horribly dated. Pinstripes should be for home unis only.

chisox616
01-25-2009, 11:05 AM
I think the Rays' alt is absolutely perfect. I got tired of watching them in the play offs just because it would be either the boring white uni or the boring gray uni.

Now if the Cards could just get an alt red jersey...

hi im skot
01-25-2009, 11:30 AM
Now if the Cards could just get an alt red jersey...

:o:

BleacherBandit
01-25-2009, 11:41 AM

Screw the Cardinals and their glorified simplicity! We're White Sox fans! We haven't known the same uniforms for more than 20 years!

South Side Irish
01-25-2009, 11:42 AM

Ditto. They wore a red BP one a few years back (roid years '97-'00 if you catch my drift!), and it wasn't pretty. The Cardinals should never get alts. ever.

chisox616
01-25-2009, 03:23 PM
Lol. I'm sorry. I guess I'm just one of the few that hates the whole white/gray combo & thinks the more colorful/varied the uniforms, the better. Don't shoot me!

My favorite all time uniform set (aside from ours, of course)? Oakland's unis in the 70s, with the green and yellow. Just looked fantastic. The Orioles, Pirates, Padres, and Astros of that era were all great as well.

Now don't get me wrong, I couldn't possibly see those uniforms in this day and age, but I don't see why showing some color is such a bad thing. And our unis are perfect because they fit our colors incredibly well. But the Mets, Marlins, even Royals having alt-black uniforms? It's just strange...

esbrechtel
01-26-2009, 02:07 PM
Royals black alternates are horrible. I do like the baby blues they started wearing...

Marlins blacks make sense because there is black on their logo I have no problem with it....

Mets I do not like at all...I think they should go with a blue alternate (definately not Orange!)

I dont like teams that have black jerseys that it is not part of their color scheme. It seems like that was really trendy in the 90s. The white sox having black makes sense because it is a major color in their logo. Mets or Royals not so much...