PDA

View Full Version : Random Internet Message Board Rumor: Ichiro to the Yankees...

getonbckthr
01-22-2009, 10:40 PM
For Matsui, Swisher and prospects?
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/messages/chrono/13121016

ChiSoxGirl
01-22-2009, 10:53 PM
For Matsui, Swisher and prospects?
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/messages/chrono/13121016

WOW!!!! That's all?!

DirtySox
01-22-2009, 10:57 PM
Lol wut?

Am I just missing the source? I just see a message board post. :scratch:

SoxyStu
01-22-2009, 10:57 PM
WOW!!!! That's all?!

That's exactly why I don't believe it. Not a chance. The return would have to be far better than Matsui and Swisher.

DSpivack
01-22-2009, 10:58 PM
A link to a post on some message board? :scratch:

Sargeant79
01-22-2009, 11:01 PM
No ****ing way. This has got to be some short-bus Yankee fan posting about what he wishes Brian Cashman would do. Only on WSI does the home team get to acquire a superstar for high-salary spare parts.

getonbckthr
01-22-2009, 11:02 PM
Lol wut?

Am I just missing the source? I just see a message board post. :scratch:
Ok ya I think I misread that. I just saw that and thought it was crazy.

TheMilkman
01-22-2009, 11:03 PM
I haven't waded through all 9 pages of comments, but...there's no link to the article...I can't find it on Fox Sports...and the 'Ken Rosenthal Article' reads like it was written by someone who doesn't speak English as their first language. In other words, I'm somewhat doubtful

FedEx227
01-22-2009, 11:05 PM
A link to a post on some message board? :scratch:

This is how pathetic the offseason has become.

There shouldn't be but 2 posts about this.

It doesn't even say it's a rumor, it just says WHAT someone could do to get Ichiro.

I'd be akin to us saying. Yeah we should get Jose Reyes, we'll trade the Mets Jermaine Dye, Lance Broadway and 2 prospects. DISCSSUS!!!11!!

Brian26
01-22-2009, 11:12 PM
When did HENDRY the THIEF become GM of the Yankees?

Craig Grebeck
01-22-2009, 11:19 PM
When did HENDRY the THIEF become GM of the Yankees?
Bobby Hill should get it done I MEAN AM I RIGHT? HENDRY!

DumpJerry
01-23-2009, 12:03 AM
There is no mention of it on either Fox Sports' website or ESPN's site. If there was any truth to this, ESPN would have cleared eveything from their site to devote to the deal.

Ichiro is the marketing department for the Mariners. As soon as they lose him, they lose 35% of their fan base.

Thome25
01-23-2009, 09:49 AM
Is the original poster of that thread anyone important? Because if they aren't, this just looks to be idle speculation by a Yankees fan.

There's no way that the Mariners accept that load of crap offer.....which is all the more reason to believe this is just a fan's wishful thinking.

doublem23
01-23-2009, 09:50 AM
Ichiro is the marketing department for the Mariners. As soon as they lose him, they lose 35% of their fan base.

Aren't there only like 10 Mariner fans left? I feel bad for the one that's going to get cut in half.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-23-2009, 11:30 AM
Aren't there only like 10 Mariner fans left? I feel bad for the one that's going to get cut in half.

Not so much. They had 2.3mill tickets sold last year (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/attendance), less than .17mill short of the White Sox. Considering the Mariners lost 101 games, that's pretty solid.

As for this rumor, D-U-M dumb. And completely false.

oeo
01-23-2009, 11:36 AM
Considering the Mariners lost 101 games, that's pretty solid.

Yes, but they had a lot of hype coming in. A lot of people had them winning the West.

goofymsfan
01-23-2009, 11:41 AM

I think there are more than 10 of us left, but you are correct, there aren't as many as there used to be.

doublem23
01-23-2009, 11:47 AM
I think there are more than 10 of us left, but you are correct, there aren't as many as there used to be.

This is just a terrible time in Seattle sports. I don't blame anyone from needing to take a little time away to regroup.

NLaloosh
01-23-2009, 01:14 PM
I don't know if it's true or not and while I am certainly not a Yankees fan, why not?

They should trade Matsui, Swisher and Ian Kennedy for Ichiro. They should sign Manny Ramirez. And, they should sign Ben Sheets and Juan Cruz. They'd only be losing 4th and 5th round picks.

Why not? They could have the best lineup, the best rotation and the best bullpen in baseball. They should.

doublem23
01-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Why not? They could have the best lineup, the best rotation and the best bullpen in baseball. They should.

It's in the Yankees best interest to not go completely overboard and really get more people on the "Salary Cap" wagon.

cards press box
01-23-2009, 02:50 PM
They should trade Matsui, Swisher and Ian Kennedy for Ichiro.

If I were the M's. there is 0% chance that I would make that trade. What is the possible benefit of aging and frequently injured Hideki Matsui to the M's? Ian Kennedy looked awful last year; I doubt he could make the M's roster as a long man out of the bullpen. If you take Matsui and Kennedy out of it, that trade would essentially be Ichiro for Nick Swisher! Who would ever make such a deal -- one that would rank as one of the worst swindles in baseball history!

Ichiro is the crown jewel of the M's franchise. And no one is going to trade their crown jewel for Nick Swisher coming off a season where he hit .219 and was benched for DeWayne Wise in the last month of the season.

JorgeFabregas
01-23-2009, 03:48 PM
He/she didn't provide a link, but it's just a (poorly?) translated version of Fox Sports International: http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/8998360/%bfRumbo-al-Bronx

goofymsfan
01-23-2009, 05:35 PM
This is just a terrible time in Seattle sports. I don't blame anyone from needing to take a little time away to regroup.

The only good thing happening in Seattle Sports currently is the new Soccer team

tm1119
01-23-2009, 08:09 PM
Ichiro really isnt the player he once was. Hes getting up there in age now and his .310 average and .360 OBP last year certainly didnt warrant his 20mil $ price tag. The Mariners are going to have to unload him at some point in order to rebuild and the rule with that is usaully sooner rather than later.

WhiteSoxOnly
01-23-2009, 08:59 PM
Only on WSI does the home team get to acquire a superstar for high-salary spare parts.[/QUOTE]

:rolling: as someone who once proposed that Tampa trade us
Carl Crawford for Javy Vasquez & Juan Uribe...yep,and i was
serious :o: i agree with your thinking !

NLaloosh
01-23-2009, 09:30 PM
Just for the sake of discussion, Seattle is about the only place that the Yanks could trade Matsui. Due to the obvious Japanese connection Seattle would take him and that unloads some salary for the Yanks. After that the Yanks could offer whatever it takes to pry away an aging Ichiro.

They would obviously give up an outfielder and the Yanks could afford to add two good prospects. Does anybody think that another team wouold beat that offer for Ichiro? I doubt it. And, Ichiro and his teammates have not been getting along for a while now. He hasn't been happy in Seattle.

So , yes, I can see this deal happening easily. Seattle has no chance to win in the near future so they don't need him as much as they did and I'm sure that he would want another chance in the postseason.