PDA

View Full Version : Cubs to get Ricketts

DSpivack
01-22-2009, 07:05 PM
http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/01/ricketts-family-is-high-bidder-for-cubs-900m.html

1908<2005
01-22-2009, 09:59 PM
He's better than Cuban would have been.

DumpJerry
01-22-2009, 11:05 PM
Ho hum. Is there reason why I should care who owns them? Too bad they did not accept my bid. The "New Delhi, India Cubs" has a nice ring to it......

roylestillman
01-22-2009, 11:51 PM
Ricketty Field. This could work.

DumpJerry
01-23-2009, 06:52 AM
Jonathan Brandmeier this morning got confused and thought the team was bought by a family afflicted with Rickets. He thought it was a wonderful story that a family fighting a bone disease was able to buy a baseball team.

TommyJohn
01-23-2009, 07:15 AM
Jonathan Brandmeier this morning got confused and thought the team was bought by a family afflicted with Rickets. He thought it was a wonderful story that a family fighting a bone disease was able to buy a baseball team.

Jonathan Brandmeier "humor" at its finest.

Thome25
01-23-2009, 08:43 AM
:whocares

Marqhead
01-23-2009, 08:51 AM
"I've had it up to here with these damn rickets!"

schmitty9800
01-23-2009, 10:13 AM
Rick Morrissey's column gave me a laugh this morning. He wants Ricketts to:

-win the WS
-spend more money
-decrease ticket prices
-trade all prospects for Peavy
-but keep growing the minor league system!
-upgrade Wrigley Field without any public money

No contradictions there!

Lip Man 1
01-23-2009, 10:22 AM
The long national nightmare is finally over for the Tribune sports guys.

Lip

spiffie
01-23-2009, 10:49 AM
Ho hum. Is there reason why I should care who owns them? Too bad they did not accept my bid. The "New Delhi, India Cubs" has a nice ring to it......
It's baseball news. The fact that it is the Cubs doesn't make it any less newsworthy. Would you post the same response to a thread in Talking Baseball if the Padres get sold?

Jim Shorts
01-23-2009, 10:54 AM
The beauty of this is the simple fact that we would have been sick Mark Cuban by February 22....let alone a lifetime of 162 game seasons with him. Hell, I was tired of seeing and hearing about him last June.

For this alone, I'll raise my glass.

PalehosePlanet
01-23-2009, 11:02 AM
Rick Morrissey's column gave me a laugh this morning. He wants Ricketts to:

-win the WS
-spend more money
-decrease ticket prices
-trade all prospects for Peavy
-but keep growing the minor league system!
-upgrade Wrigley Field without any public money

No contradictions there!

So...is Wrigley Field included in the sale?

I haven't read anything that states one way or the other.

InKennyWeTrust
01-23-2009, 11:03 AM
It's baseball news. The fact that it is the Cubs doesn't make it any less newsworthy. Would you post the same response to a thread in Talking Baseball if the Padres get sold?
"Is there a reason I should care who owns the Padres?"

Yeah, I can see several people here saying that.

MisterB
01-23-2009, 11:05 AM
Cubs to get Ricketts

They better up their intake of calcium and vitamin D (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rickets), then.

Thome25
01-23-2009, 11:06 AM

It is absolutely less relevant on a White Sox fan site than it would be on say um, a Cubs fansite or national sports website.

spiffie
01-23-2009, 11:06 AM
"Is there a reason I should care who owns the Padres?"

Yeah, I can see several people here saying that.
No one except the most useless poster would consider it response worthy. There wouldn't be a need to show off how little you care in such a thread. It would be ignored like any other thread most rational people have no interest in. Instead this unique strain of Flubsession manifests itself.

spiffie
01-23-2009, 11:07 AM
It is absolutely less relevant on a White Sox fan site than it would be on say um, a Cubs fansite or national sports website.
The Talking Baseball forums are a strange and confusing place for you aren't they?

Thome25
01-23-2009, 11:10 AM
The Talking Baseball forums are a strange and confusing place for you aren't they?

I know we talk about baseball as a whole on this site but, just because "talking baseball" exists doesn't make outside information any more relevant on a WHITE SOX fansite. This is still a White Sox site first and foremost.

spiffie
01-23-2009, 11:17 AM
I know we talk about baseball as a whole on this site but, just because "talking baseball" exists doesn't make outside information any more relevant on a WHITE SOX fansite. This is still a White Sox site first and foremost.:rolleyes: :shrug:

white sox bill
01-23-2009, 11:39 AM
New owner, same result

Foulke You
01-23-2009, 11:44 AM
I know we talk about baseball as a whole on this site but, just because "talking baseball" exists doesn't make outside information any more relevant on a WHITE SOX fansite. This is still a White Sox site first and foremost.
I'm with spiffie on this one. I don't understand the WSI angst when people post things about the Red Sox or Cubs on the proper message boards (talking baseball or WTS). I for one enjoy reading about what is going on around the league especially during a slow offseason. If you only want to read about the Sox, just stick to the Sox Clubhouse. That's the great thing about WSI, the mods set everything up so you can filter whatever you want to read and talk about whatever you want to talk about.

Foulke You
01-23-2009, 11:49 AM
The long national nightmare is finally over for the Tribune sports guys.

Lip
I was thinking about this today Lip and I wonder whether the media coverage from Tribune Company will truly change. Yes, they no longer own the team outright but they still have a vested interest in the success of the Cubs. Trib owned WGN TV Superstation and WGN AM 720 are still going to be huge parts of the Cubs organization. There still seems to be a conflict of interest there but not quite as skewed as when they completely owned the team.

guillensdisciple
01-23-2009, 11:53 AM
The beauty of this is the simple fact that we would have been sick Mark Cuban by February 22....let alone a lifetime of 162 game seasons with him. Hell, I was tired of seeing and hearing about him last June.

For this alone, I'll raise my glass.

Mark Cuban scares the crap out of me though, I could have seen the Cubs making a world series under his ownership.

No teal.

Lip Man 1
01-23-2009, 11:54 AM
Matt:

I'm sure there will still be issues but I also fully expect that the days of Paul Sullivan being called into Andy MacPhail's office after some things he wrote will be put to rest.

Lip

Thome25
01-23-2009, 12:03 PM
I'm with spiffie on this one. I don't understand the WSI angst when people post things about the Red Sox or Cubs on the proper message boards (talking baseball or WTS). I for one enjoy reading about what is going on around the league especially during a slow offseason. If you only want to read about the Sox, just stick to the Sox Clubhouse. That's the great thing about WSI, the mods set everything up so you can filter whatever you want to read and talk about whatever you want to talk about.

I'm on both sides of the fence when it comes to this one. I like to talk about and bash the Cubs and Red Sawx every once in a while.

It's wrong when posters get on here and play "holier-than-thou" and complain when people want to talk about and bash the Cubs.

But, IMO it's just as bad to play "holier- than-thou" and complain when someone DOESN'T want to talk about the Cubs (or their new owner in this case.)

I guess what I'm trying to say is....."to each his own".

guillensdisciple
01-23-2009, 12:07 PM
I'm on both sides of the fence when it comes to this one. I like to talk about and bash the Cubs and Red Sawx every once in a while.

It's wrong when posters get on here and play "holier-than-thou" and complain when people want to talk about and bash the Cubs.

But, IMO it's just as bad to play "holier- than-thou" and complain when someone DOESN'T want to talk about the Cubs (or their new owner in this case.)

Are there many Sox fans over there, or are you the few and the proud?

russ99
01-23-2009, 12:08 PM
Mark Cuban scares the crap out of me though, I could have seen the Cubs making a world series under his ownership.

No teal.

True, but I'm less than thrilled about his Sox-bashing, as if the potential of the Sox losing on business deals with places like FoxSports Net is why Reinsdorf "supposedly" kept him from being a bidder.

Get real, Mark. The real reason MLB ownership wants no part of you is your grandstanding for your own over-inflated ego. MLB is and probably will always be a old-boy club for genteel rich guys, and your "performances" as Mavs owner is why they'll never accept you. It has nothing to do with the White Sox.

I'm glad the Cubs have a new owner, since they'll hopefully now be treated like everyone else in the media, at least locally.

Thome25
01-23-2009, 12:10 PM
Are there many Sox fans over there, or are you the few and the proud?

Over where? *Turns around and looks over shoulder* I'm not sure I understand....are you talking about northeastern Maryland? Or are you talking about on both sides of the fence?

Either way, I'm the only Sox fan within miles of here......it gets lonely at times........and here on the east coast (especially in my general area) there's a ton of Bears fans and I'm not sure why.

soxfan13
01-23-2009, 12:14 PM
I am actually happy Ricketts is going to get the team. He is a good friend of my boss and am hoping to score some skybox tickets next year:dunno:

central44
01-23-2009, 12:17 PM
I'm glad the Cubs have a new owner, since they'll hopefully now be treated like everyone else in the media, at least locally.

Well, the Tribune managed to swing a lot of fans to the Cubs, so they'd be dumb to cover the Sox and Cubs equally. Odds are, what was once 80%-20% becomes more like...60-40 at best, but that's a bit of a long shot.

guillensdisciple
01-23-2009, 12:27 PM
Over where? *Turns around and looks over shoulder* I'm not sure I understand....are you talking about northeastern Maryland? Or are you talking about on both sides of the fence?

Either way, I'm the only Sox fan within miles of here......it gets lonely at times........and here on the east coast (especially in my general area) there's a ton of Bears fans and I'm not sure why.

Yep, I was talking about Maryland. Don't expect to see that many White Sox fans over there. Power to you!

kobo
01-23-2009, 12:35 PM
So...is Wrigley Field included in the sale?

I haven't read anything that states one way or the other.
According to this article (http://uk.reuters.com/article/marketsNewsUS/idUKN2329812020090123) the team, Wrigley Field and 25% of Comcast Sports Net channel is included.

spiffie
01-23-2009, 12:46 PM

If there is someone with a gun to your head who makes you post in WTS or in this particular thread I apologize for not understanding your particular situation.

But otherwise what the hell do you care if someone else is talking about them, especially a piece of legitimate and important sports news? Feel compelled to show what a huge Sox fan you are by showing how little you care about this, apparently just little enough to have posted at least 4 times in this thread about news you don't want to talk about?

If you have nothing to say, say exactly that.

Thome25
01-23-2009, 12:56 PM
If there is someone with a gun to your head who makes you post in WTS or in this particular thread I apologize for not understanding your particular situation.

But otherwise what the hell do you care if someone else is talking about them, especially a piece of legitimate and important sports news? Feel compelled to show what a huge Sox fan you are by showing how little you care about this, apparently just little enough to have posted at least 4 times in this thread about news you don't want to talk about?

If you have nothing to say, say exactly that.

I already got my point across on this issue and I don't have anything else to add.......you don't have to like my point of view......and quite frankly if you don't like it........that's tough.

I already said what I had to say......end of story. You don't agree with me......and I don't care.

Thome25
01-23-2009, 01:01 PM
Yep, I was talking about Maryland. Don't expect to see that many White Sox fans over there. Power to you!

I know that there's Sox fans in the Mid-Atlantic region but, In my area, I'm holding down the fort all by myself. I was born in Chicago and raised in the Chicago area....I came here 6 years ago.

I try to wear my Sox gear as much as possible so I can represent them among the sea of Phillies, Orioles, Yankees, and Red Sawx fans here in this region. I also wear my gear because I'm sick and tired of the inevitable " So, are you a Cubs fan?" question I get when I tell people I'm from Chicago.

tstrike2000
01-23-2009, 01:23 PM
Isn't Ricketts a physical ailment?

Jim Shorts
01-23-2009, 01:24 PM
Isn't Ricketts a physical ailment?

Bone disease of sorts. Google and Wiki can be your friends.

Red Barchetta
01-23-2009, 08:51 PM
Ricketty Field. This could work.

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner! "Ricketty Field" I love it. Very appropriate! :D:

whitem0nkey
01-24-2009, 11:53 AM
According to this article (http://uk.reuters.com/article/marketsNewsUS/idUKN2329812020090123) the team, Wrigley Field and 25% of Comcast Sports Net channel is included.

Comcast Sports Net is owned 20% by Comcast, as well as 20% each by the Bulls, Blackhawks, White Sox, and Cubs .

MrX
01-24-2009, 12:31 PM

Cuban would have been great just to watch the Cubs fans turn on him in a few years when he didn't turn out to be their messiah. The only reason they wanted Cuban was because they thought he would spend money like the Yankees, which he said he wouldn't do.

guillensdisciple
01-27-2009, 10:22 AM
On that little news report thing on ESPN read that once the Cubs finalize the ownership deal they will yet again pursue Jake Peavy. Oh and Scott Olsen might be included in the deal. GRAHAM CRACKERS!!!

link

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090126&content_id=3773980&vkey=hotstove2008&fext=.jsp

JermaineDye05
01-27-2009, 10:26 AM
On that little news report thing on ESPN read that once the Cubs finalize the ownership deal they will yet again pursue Jake Peavy. Oh and Scott Olsen might be included in the deal. GRAHAM CRACKERS!!!

link

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090126&content_id=3773980&vkey=hotstove2008&fext=.jsp

Personally I think the Cubs are pursuing Peavy just to piss me off. They know I'm a sox fan and that he's my favorite pitcher outside of the White Sox. They don't need him, they're a good team without him. They need left handed hitting, Bradley isn't the solution. Boy this really grinds my gears (This episode of FG was on last night which is why I'm referencing it.

areilly
01-27-2009, 10:57 AM

Makes sense, as there is no way the Cubs' brand name alone is worth $900 million. It'd be interesting to see how each of the assets was valued in the transaction.

Also interesting to note the Tribune Co. is holding on to at least a 5% stake of the franchise per the above Reuters article.