PDA

View Full Version : The Holy Water Follow Up - AKA: If you're flubsessed and you know it, clap your hands

Lip Man 1
01-20-2009, 11:14 PM
Funny.

Now the minister involved is completely repudiating the Cubs story.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-20-cubs-priest-chicagojan20,0,5503072.story

Lip

kittle42
01-20-2009, 11:16 PM
This whole thing is stupid.

HebrewHammer
01-21-2009, 12:44 AM
My first thought when reading this thread title was, "What did Dusty Baker say now?"

Heffalump
01-21-2009, 09:18 AM
Ronald
Sullivan, OH (http://www.topix.net/forum/city/sullivan-oh)

He He He! - Good stuff. Check out the opinion of this Cubs fan from the comments section of the article on why the Sox won in '05...Typical idiocacy.

#14 (http://www.topix.net/forum/source/chicago-tribune/TBUL86J6L36HKJIPJ/post14) Yesterday

yikes wrote:
<quoted text>
who are the white sox? are they a rugby team?
They were a disgraced sports franchise in chicago known nationwide for throwing their sports championship for money, bringing shame and suspicion to their city for generations. Other chicago teams had to work doubly hard to try and compete and win in their sports, including the cubs the city's beloved baseball team. The whitesox also skirted the rules in 2005 by using inside league information about changes to the leagues steroid testing rules, to trade or let go their problem players, and get journeyman type players who could pass the tests and play just well enough to beat all the other weakened teams in the league. So after the rest of the good teams gave up and laid down due to their star players not being able to play as usual, the sox were able to slither to a tainted series win in the steroid world series. Knowledgable baseball fans recognize that this wasn't any real win, just a fluke in a down year for baseball. It was like being the smartest kid in school on a snow day.

central44
01-21-2009, 09:24 AM
it's amazing how developed that guy's rationalization skills are.

And yeah, a lot of Cubs fans seem to think that 2005 was "tainted" in some way. But when you go 11-1 in the postseason, you're not talking about a fluke year. You're talking about one of the best postseason teams in the history of baseball, something Cubs fans wouldn't know anything about. Not to mention that the 2005 Sox won more games than any Cubs team in the last...what, 9 decades or so?

Lundind1
01-21-2009, 09:58 AM
Ronald

He He He! - Good stuff. Check out the opinion of this Cubs fan from the comments section of the article on why the Sox won in '05...Typical idiocacy.

#14 (http://www.topix.net/forum/source/chicago-tribune/TBUL86J6L36HKJIPJ/post14) Yesterday

yikes wrote:
<quoted text>
They were a disgraced sports franchise in chicago known nationwide for throwing their sports championship for money, bringing shame and suspicion to their city for generations. Other chicago teams had to work doubly hard to try and compete and win in their sports, including the cubs the city's beloved baseball team. The whitesox also skirted the rules in 2005 by using inside league information about changes to the leagues steroid testing rules, to trade or let go their problem players, and get journeyman type players who could pass the tests and play just well enough to beat all the other weakened teams in the league. So after the rest of the good teams gave up and laid down due to their star players not being able to play as usual, the sox were able to slither to a tainted series win in the steroid world series. Knowledgable baseball fans recognize that this wasn't any real win, just a fluke in a down year for baseball. It was like being the smartest kid in school on a snow day.

I guess that there really is no cure for stupid, or in this guy's case: stoopid. The MLB steroid testing policy wasn't even standarized. All the roid business didn't start until the off season after 2006. So what, you're going to tell me that the Cardinals shouldn't have won it either?

HAHAHA

central44
01-21-2009, 10:26 AM
And yeah, it must have been sooooooo hard for the poor cubbies after the evil white sox threw the 1919 World Series and almost ruined baseball. :rolleyes:

I remember reading somewhere that the 1919 Sox got the idea of throwing the World Series from the 1918 Cubs. Of course, i'm not sure if I buy that theory or if it's just wishful thinking on behalf of some Sox fans...or even if I want to buy it. It's kind of cool to root for the original bad guys of the baseball world, and it makes the "Billy Goat" curse look stupid because i mean...come on. Throwing the World Series is so much more badass.

TommyJohn
01-21-2009, 10:34 AM
And yeah, it must have been sooooooo hard for the poor cubbies after the evil white sox threw the 1919 World Series and almost ruined baseball. :rolleyes:

I remember reading somewhere that the 1919 Sox got the idea of throwing the World Series from the 1918 Cubs. Of course, i'm not sure if I buy that theory or if it's just wishful thinking on behalf of some Sox fans...or even if I want to buy it. It's kind of cool to root for the original bad guys of the baseball world, and it makes the "Billy Goat" curse look stupid because i mean...come on. Throwing the World Series is so much more badass.

The accusation about the 1918 Cubs goes back to "The Hustler's Handbook" by Bill Veeck. Also, a recently released document was a deposition given by Eddie Cicotte to Alfred Austrian before his Grand Jury testimony. In it, he says the Sox got the idea to throw the series because one or two members of the 1918 Cubs got $10,000 to tank the previous year's series, so they decided they could get away with it. Note the amount-$10,000-the exact amount that Cicotte got to throw the series. Also note that he didn't say it was because his mean boss denied him a "bonus" that would have actually been greater than his salary for that year.

hi im skot
01-21-2009, 10:35 AM

Awesome.

:rolling:

ChiSoxFan81
01-21-2009, 10:36 AM
Don't worry. In a few years, Cubs fans will be convinced it never happened and call us ******* Sox fans for making up stories about their beloved team.

ChiSoxFan81
01-21-2009, 10:42 AM
Also, I love when Cubs fans call 2005 a fluke. OK. Even if we give them that (which we never would), the Cubs STILL haven't even had a fluke in 100 years!!!!

Thome25
01-21-2009, 12:43 PM
it's amazing how developed that guy's rationalization skills are.

And yeah, a lot of Cubs fans seem to think that 2005 was "tainted" in some way. But when you go 11-1 in the postseason, you're not talking about a fluke year. You're talking about one of the best postseason teams in the history of baseball, something Cubs fans wouldn't know anything about. Not to mention that the 2005 Sox won more games than any Cubs team in the last...what, 9 decades or so?

You don't go wire-to-wire and then go 11-1 in the playoffs including 4 straight complete games in the ALCS by accident. It's just more sour grapes, pissing and moaning by Cubs fans because both of their arch rivals won the WS recently and they can't even get past the first round of the playoffs.

soxpride724
01-21-2009, 01:57 PM

Almost every team threw games for gamblers back then, including the Cubs. In fact, the Cubs got caught throwing a late regular season game that was pretty meaningless, and ended up getting caught in 1920. Some historians say that the Cubs getting caught was like throwing gas on the fire that was the investigation of the 1919 White Sox. The 1919 fix was an afterthought. until the Cubs got caught throwing that game at the end of the season. That sparked media outrage much like the steroid scandals of today. Cub fans will never admit this though, or they just don't know their teams history that well.

white sox bill
01-21-2009, 02:57 PM
Almost every team threw games for gamblers back then, including the Cubs. In fact, the Cubs got caught throwing a late regular season game that was pretty meaningless, and ended up getting caught in 1920. Some historians say that the Cubs getting caught was like throwing gas on the fire that was the investigation of the 1919 White Sox. The 1919 fix was an afterthought. until the Cubs got caught throwing that game at the end of the season. That sparked media outrage much like the steroid scandals of today. Cub fans will never admit this though, or they just don't know their teams history that well.

This happened last century, last millennium. As I once told a cub fan: Are you over Julius Cesar getting assassinated yet too? Or wanna take another four centuries for that?

Besides didn't the Mafia threaten some of the Sox players with hurting their families if they didn't participate?

RadioheadRocks
01-21-2009, 03:45 PM
Ronald

yikes wrote:
<quoted text>

Methinks somebody better call the WAAAAAAmbulance for this guy.

soxpride724
01-21-2009, 04:39 PM
quote]
quote=white sox bill;2142349]This happened last century, last millennium. As I once told a cub fan: Are you over Julius Cesar getting assassinated yet too? Or wanna take another four centuries for that?

Besides didn't the Mafia threaten some of the Sox players with hurting their families if they didn't participate?[/quote
/quote

The gamblers hired some "Muscle" to threaten Lefty Williams before one of his starts. Apparently this guy was just someone that looked like a tough guy and his role was to intimidate.

turners56
01-21-2009, 07:22 PM
Ronald

yikes wrote:
<quoted text>

This guy must live in a mental ward.
:redneck

oeo
01-21-2009, 07:50 PM
Ronald

yikes wrote:
<quoted text>

:roflmao:

That's comedic gold.

ChiSoxGirl
01-21-2009, 10:12 PM
You don't go wire-to-wire and then go 11-1 in the playoffs including 4 straight complete games in the ALCS by accident. It's just more sour grapes, pissing and moaning by Cubs fans because both of their arch rivals won the WS recently and they can't even get past the first round of the playoffs.

This is what it all boils down to. Those people are jealous as all hell that the two teams they hate the most have not only gotten through the first round of the playoffs in the last five years, but have gotten to the World Series and have actually won the damn thing.

guillensdisciple
01-21-2009, 11:01 PM
Cubs fans will never gain my respect. I believe I have argued this already, but why respect a people who are satisfied with watching the worst team in the history of sporting franchises. The Detroit Lions going win less is pretty bad, but a hundred years of futility and embarrassment is something no smart person can tolerate. OF course, there are knowledgeable and respectable cubs fans, but they have done nothing. They have been watching and watching, hoping and hoping. How much more of this can you take, how much more losing can fans take?

100 years, 100 is a big number. Nothing changes though, it is the same sad and pathetic story year after year. So how is it that I am supposed to respect a cubs fan? I am in association with them constantly, and I see them cry and I see them complain, but for what? Nothing changes, nothing will ever change until people are smart enough to not only make a stand against losing, but refuse to pay top dollar for a sporting franchise that has embarrassed the city of Chicago.

I am embarrassed by Cubs fans, they make me sick. I believe that, regardless of the revenue, the Cubs have to be moved. This is completely irrational and has no chance of happening, but I am sick of a team embarrassing Chicago and foolish fans embarrassing themselves.
You want to see a champion? Show it, stop saying foolish things that give you a ****ing hard on every time you say it. There is no next year after 100 years, there is only now.

That being said, I hope your stupidity continues, because it is impossible to change a fan base with 80 percent fools. I don't want you to win a world series because if you do, those 80 percent will become the most arrogant of fan bases ever constructed. Nothing would be worse, other then painful death, torture, and the loss of a loved one.

Yes, the majority of their fans are bigots who don't deserve the game of baseball, and I refuse to tolerate their pathetic excuses.

central44
01-21-2009, 11:19 PM
My issue with them is that they talk down to you, and then turn around and expect you to feel sorry for them. Why? What's making them support that team? If you want to support a team that cares about winning, support the White Sox. If you want to support a team that cares about making money, support the Cubs. You made your bed, lay in it, and quit crying about how hard it is to be a Cub fan. Nobody cares except for other Cub fans.

DrCrawdad
01-22-2009, 01:25 AM
I'm clapping! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0uMHAliqjo&eurl=http://www.last.fm/music/They+Might+Be+Giants/_/Clap+Your+Hands&feature=player_embedded)

:)

guillensdisciple
01-22-2009, 10:21 AM
I'm clapping! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0uMHAliqjo&eurl=http://www.last.fm/music/They+Might+Be+Giants/_/Clap+Your+Hands&feature=player_embedded)

:)

Milk out of nose!

LoveYourSuit
01-22-2009, 10:23 AM
I love the new Title !

Thome25
01-22-2009, 10:38 AM
I'm embarrassed the White Sox even have to share the city of Chicago with a team as pathetic and futile as the Cubs. For them to put "Chicago" in front of their names and on their jerseys is an embarrassment to the entire city.:D:

soxfan21
01-22-2009, 10:45 AM
Cubs fans will never gain my respect. I believe I have argued this already, but why respect a people who are satisfied with watching the worst team in the history of sporting franchises. The Detroit Lions going win less is pretty bad, but a hundred years of futility and embarrassment is something no smart person can tolerate. OF course, there are knowledgeable and respectable cubs fans, but they have done nothing. They have been watching and watching, hoping and hoping. How much more of this can you take, how much more losing can fans take?

100 years, 100 is a big number. Nothing changes though, it is the same sad and pathetic story year after year. So how is it that I am supposed to respect a cubs fan? I am in association with them constantly, and I see them cry and I see them complain, but for what? Nothing changes, nothing will ever change until people are smart enough to not only make a stand against losing, but refuse to pay top dollar for a sporting franchise that has embarrassed the city of Chicago.

I am embarrassed by Cubs fans, they make me sick. I believe that, regardless of the revenue, the Cubs have to be moved. This is completely irrational and has no chance of happening, but I am sick of a team embarrassing Chicago and foolish fans embarrassing themselves.
You want to see a champion? Show it, stop saying foolish things that give you a ****ing hard on every time you say it. There is no next year after 100 years, there is only now.

That being said, I hope your stupidity continues, because it is impossible to change a fan base with 80 percent fools. I don't want you to win a world series because if you do, those 80 percent will become the most arrogant of fan bases ever constructed. Nothing would be worse, other then painful death, torture, and the loss of a loved one.

Yes, the majority of their fans are bigots who don't deserve the game of baseball, and I refuse to tolerate their pathetic excuses.

Amen.

Thome25
01-22-2009, 10:55 AM

Amen----if the Cubs won the WS.....Cubs fans would become as arrogant and annoying as Red Sawx nation X 1,000,000.

I dread the day the Cubs win the WS....I fear that the White Sox would become the forgotten team in town.....in the hearts of the city and the minds of the local and national media.

I fear that media coverage would become even more lopsided and White Sox coverage would become nothing more than a couple of little footnotes here and there to the full page spreads of you-know-who.

TommyJohn
01-22-2009, 11:00 AM
Amen----if the Cubs won the WS.....Cubs fans would become as arrogant and annoying as Red Sawx nation X 1,000,000.

I dread the day the Cubs win the WS....I fear that the White Sox would become the forgotten team in town.....in the hearts of the city and the minds of the local and national media.

I fear that media coverage would become even more lopsided and White Sox coverage would become nothing more than a couple of little footnotes here and there to the full page spreads of you-know-who.

What do you mean, when the Cubs win the series? It's already like that now.

Thome25
01-22-2009, 11:03 AM
What do you mean, when the Cubs win the series? It's already like that now.

I know but, multiply how it is now by <insert insanely large number here> and the city of Chicago may become even more unbearable for White Sox fans. To the point where we might see a mass exodus out of the city by some White Sox fans who wouldn't be able to take the Cubs bull**** machine anymore.

Craig Grebeck
01-22-2009, 11:10 AM
Sox fans are really embarrassing sometimes. And you guys wonder why people think we are more about hating the Cubs than loving the Sox? Sheesh.

Craig Grebeck
01-22-2009, 11:11 AM
I know but, multiply how it is now by <insert insanely large number here> and the city of Chicago may become even more unbearable for White Sox fans. To the point where we might see a mass exodus out of the city by some White Sox fans who wouldn't be able to take the Cubs bull**** machine anymore.
Who would do that? Sports are not life. My head is spinning.

DrCrawdad
01-22-2009, 11:12 AM
Milk out of nose!

I'm still hoping to hear They Might Be Giants, "Clap Your Hands," (http://www.rhapsody.com/goto?rcid=tra.1889408) pumping out of The Cells sound system someday...

Thome25
01-22-2009, 11:18 AM
Sox fans are really embarrassing sometimes. And you guys wonder why people think we are more about hating the Cubs than loving the Sox? Sheesh.

So, basically Sox fans are always supposed to be lollipops, sunshine, and roses then huh? Yeah, that's right were not supposed to hate anyone. Especially our same-city rival who we've hated for over 100 years and happens to be the OLDEST same-city rivalry there is.

Leave the lollipops, sunshine, and roses to the other side of town. It's more embarrassing to listen to and read comments from holier-than-thou fans who think we're not supposed to hate the Cubs.

It's not fair to question someone's love for their team. I LOVE the Sox more than any team in any sport......No amount of hate for some sorry-ass team especially the northside team could ever trump that.

Do I worry about the Cubs that much? probably not........Am I allowed to show my hate for them once in a while? I think so.

Craig Grebeck
01-22-2009, 11:19 AM
So, basically Sox fans are always supposed to be lollipops, sunshine, and roses then huh? Yeah, that's right were not supposed to hate anyone. Especially our same-city rival who we've hated for over 100 years and happens to be the OLDEST same-city rivalry there is.

Leave the lollipops, sunshine, and roses to the other side of town. It's more embarrassing to listen to and read comments from holier-than-thou fans who think we're not supposed to hate the Cubs.

It's not fair to question someone's love for their team. I LOVE the Sox more than any team in any sport......No amount of hate for some sorry-ass team especially the northside team could ever trump that.
Hate is an exceptionally strong word. I don't really hate arbitrary pieces of laundry, or the people who root for said arbitrary pieces of laundry. Enjoy baseball, really. It's fun.

Thome25
01-22-2009, 11:24 AM
Hate is an exceptionally strong word. I don't really hate arbitrary pieces of laundry, or the people who root for said arbitrary pieces of laundry. Enjoy baseball, really. It's fun.

Good point......you're right, it's just laundry. Pieces of clothing stitched from cloth in different colors. But, that cloth and those colors represent more than just laundry.

Craig Grebeck
01-22-2009, 11:28 AM
Good point......you're right, it's just laundry. Pieces of clothing stitched from cloth in different colors. But, that cloth and those colors represent more than just laundry.
It represents a baseball club.

Edit: And you really believe people will leave Chicago (or the area) in a mass exodus because the Cubs win the WS? This is on par with that lady who posted about her kids' little league.

Thome25
01-22-2009, 12:26 PM
It represents a baseball club.

Edit: And you really believe people will leave Chicago (or the area) in a mass exodus because the Cubs win the WS? This is on par with that lady who posted about her kids' little league.

I wasn't completely serious about that. I was using it because I was trying describe how unbearable Cubs fans and the media would become.

I know no one would leave.

RadioheadRocks
01-23-2009, 10:34 PM
"Three, six, nine
The goose drank wine
The monkey chewed tobacco on the streetcar line
The line broke, the monkey got choked
And they all went to heaven in a little row boat
Clap pat - clap pat - clap pat - clap slap..."

areilly
01-24-2009, 11:51 PM
My issue with them is that they talk down to you, and then turn around and expect you to feel sorry for them. Why? What's making them support that team? If you want to support a team that cares about winning, support the White Sox. If you want to support a team that cares about making money, support the Cubs. You made your bed, lay in it, and quit crying about how hard it is to be a Cub fan. Nobody cares except for other Cub fans.

You nailed it on the head right there. At the end of the day the Cubs - and any baseball team, or any team for that matter - exist to make money for their stakeholders. Winning is awesome, but no one ever raised ticket prices because they love the game.

whitesox901
01-25-2009, 03:03 AM
Ronald

yikes wrote:
<quoted text>

Those posts, comments and arguments made me ill

Konerko05
01-25-2009, 03:50 AM
Those posts, comments and arguments made me ill

This entire thread made me ill.