PDA

View Full Version : Changes for baseball radio in Tampa and Buffalo

Fenway
01-20-2009, 04:47 PM
Rays announced today they are moving to the most powerful AM signal in Florida (WDAE-620) which should double their coverage area day and night.

In Buffalo the Red Sox have bumped the Yankees off WGR-550 and the Yankees have been forced to sign with 250 watt WECK in Cheektowaga.

soxinem1
01-21-2009, 04:05 PM
Rays announced today they are moving to the most powerful AM signal in Florida (WDAE-620) which should double their coverage area day and night.

In Buffalo the Red Sox have bumped the Yankees off WGR-550 and the Yankees have been forced to sign with 250 watt WECK in Cheektowaga.

I guess that means Dave Wills will come in very strong!!!

Bump34
01-23-2009, 12:16 PM
It will give us a lot more coverage of the Tampa Bay market... and for the first time my family will actually be able to hear night games at my house which is only 30 miles from Tropicana Field...

soxfan2504
01-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Sounds like this could be a boon for further developing the Rays' fanbase after the World Series appearance. Correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't the development of the Cubs' fanbase in places like Iowa at least partly due to the strength of WGN's signal, possibly before team radio networks were put in place?

I know that the large number of transplants in FL will make it harder to have such a sizable impact, but I have to imagine it'll help on some level.

Medford Bobby
01-23-2009, 11:14 PM
I guess that means Dave Wills will come in very strong!!!

Isn't WTMJ still on the flame thrower 620 KC?:scratch:

Viva Medias B's
01-23-2009, 11:17 PM

I don't know what it has to do with this, but WTMJ is still a powerful signal that can be heard in Chicago usually 24/7. That is why all the big Wisconsin teams (Brewers, Packers, Bucks, Badgers) broadcast their games there.

Fenway
01-24-2009, 11:54 AM

Actually the 620 in Tampa became the first directional AM station at night back in the 30's to protect WTMJ. Florida was never issued a full clear channel back then because of population. AM night signals in Florida have a huge problem with Cuban stations that don't follow the communications treaty of 1941.