PDA

View Full Version : Baseball correcting payroll structure.

champagne030
01-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Markakis gets an $11M/year salary.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3844701

Salaries are going down because of the economy. :rolleyes:

DoItForDanPasqua
01-19-2009, 05:00 PM
The huge exception, of course, is the Yankees have spent the off season not caring about their budget. Also, I think that Markakis was not eligible to be a free agent or even for arbitration, so you would expect that he would sign for less.

FedEx227
01-19-2009, 05:04 PM
Um, I think he's being a bit sarcastic. That's a pretty big sum for a guy of his caliber.

DoItForDanPasqua
01-19-2009, 05:07 PM
Um, I think he's being a bit sarcastic. That's a pretty big sum for a guy of his caliber.

Now that I look at it, I guess he was, but I don't think 11m is really high for a guy who hit .300 with 20 homers in consecutive seasons and walked almost 100 times last year. Anyway, it's a better deal than JD Drew at 14 million.

Vernam
01-19-2009, 07:36 PM
Since it's that wacky Peter Angelos, this signing might not be a reliable indicator of where the rest of MLB is headed. And like it or not, the asbestos litigation industry is probably sort of recession-proof . . .

Vernam

jabrch
01-19-2009, 08:18 PM
Now that I look at it, I guess he was, but I don't think 11m is really high for a guy who hit .300 with 20 homers in consecutive seasons and walked almost 100 times last year. Anyway, it's a better deal than JD Drew at 14 million.

It also includes two arbitration years.

I don't see anything bad about this deal.

MarkZ35
01-19-2009, 08:53 PM
I may be wrong but Markakis comes off to me as being such an average everyday player. I haven't seen him play enough to judge his defense but I haven't seen anything special. I would think that is a little overpriced but it's not the White Sox paying it so I could care less.

Parrothead
01-19-2009, 09:43 PM
Since it's that wacky Peter Angelos, this signing might not be a reliable indicator of where the rest of MLB is headed. And like it or not, the asbestos litigation industry is probably sort of recession-proof . . .

Vernam

what?:scratch:

Sam Spade
01-19-2009, 10:22 PM
I may be wrong but Markakis comes off to me as being such an average everyday player. I haven't seen him play enough to judge his defense but I haven't seen anything special. I would think that is a little overpriced but it's not the White Sox paying it so I could care less.
He plays excellent defense. He doesn't have a ton of HR power, but he hits for average, drives in about 100 runs and is an on base machine. He is way above average, I wish he was on the sox.

Dibbs
01-19-2009, 11:02 PM
$11 million seems like a bargain for that guy compared to what some others receive.

chunk
01-19-2009, 11:44 PM
Keep in mind Markakis is only 25 and is already hitting .300

This is a great deal for the O's.

Vernam
01-20-2009, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernam http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2141671#post2141671)

what?:scratch::D: An obscure reference, I must concede. Angelos is a lawyer who made his fortune litigating cases for plaintiffs with claims of asbestos-related health problems. I'm not making a judgment about it either way, just noting (somewhat jokingly) that his non-baseball revenue stream may be more reliable than some other owners'.

Vernam

doublem23
01-20-2009, 06:42 PM
Keep in mind Markakis is only 25 and is already hitting .300

This is a great deal for the O's.

Thank you, I can't believe people are ragging this deal. They locked this guy up for most of his prime years, and at 24 years old he put up the 7th highest OPS in the American League. We're going to look at this deal in a few years as a steal for Baltimore. No, he's not an elite player, but he's not getting paid like one. The Orioles are smart for locking him up rather than hope he stays when he'd hit the FA market in the prime of his career.

LoveYourSuit
01-20-2009, 11:06 PM
In comparison to what Grady Sizemore signed for a few seasons ago which was a 6 yr deal at about $24 million and when the economy was not in the dumps ..... this deal in this economy does not look that great.

And IMO I much rather have Sizemore than Markakis.

Kudos to Shapiro for pulling this one off 3 off-seasons ago.

jabrch
01-20-2009, 11:24 PM
Thank you, I can't believe people are ragging this deal.

Why don't you believe it?

SoxfaninLA
01-21-2009, 09:56 AM
Thank you, I can't believe people are ragging this deal. They locked this guy up for most of his prime years, and at 24 years old he put up the 7th highest OPS in the American League. We're going to look at this deal in a few years as a steal for Baltimore. No, he's not an elite player, but he's not getting paid like one. The Orioles are smart for locking him up rather than hope he stays when he'd hit the FA market in the prime of his career.

Agreed. Markakis will never hit 35 home runs, but he is a damn good player. Has a lot of doubles power, great eye at the plate, good defensive player, this is a very good contract for the Orioles. In 2 years if this guy hit free agency he is probably a 15 million dollar a year player.

Also, the Sizemore and Markakis contracts are not really comparable. Sizemore signed his contract after his first full season in the big leagues. At the time that contract was still a bit of a risk for Cleveland considering no one knew if he would be a flash in the pan. Markakis has been in the league three years and has established himself as one of the better outfielders in baseball.