PDA

View Full Version : Jenks; 1 year at 5.6 mil

pmck003
01-19-2009, 03:17 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3844718

most money ever for a first time arbitration eligible closer

soxfanreggie
01-19-2009, 03:20 PM
It may be the most money for that, but I'm more than willing to pay it for him.

veeter
01-19-2009, 03:22 PM
Bobby deserves it. Amount should counter any frustration he may have, over no longer term deal. Glad they got it done. Bobby's really good.

KyWhiSoxFan
01-19-2009, 03:24 PM
Glad they got a deal done. He's worth whatever he can get.

LoveYourSuit
01-19-2009, 03:28 PM
As expected, $5 million plus.

I don't like the outlook come next off-season if we have to go this route again .... $8-$9 million? The Sox might be trading Jenks for sure after this season.

Britt Burns
01-19-2009, 03:29 PM
I hope the Sox lock Bobby up to a long term deal sometime during the season.

Gammons Peter
01-19-2009, 03:30 PM
As expected, $5 million plus.

I don't like the outlook come next off-season if we have to go this route again .... $8-$9 million? The Sox might be trading Jenks for sure after this season.

or this year, if things arent going well in the standings

LoveYourSuit
01-19-2009, 03:40 PM
I hope the Sox lock Bobby up to a long term deal sometime during the season.

Might be too late for that. If Bobby got almost $6 right now, he will be shooting for $9 next year on a 1 year deal. Best long term discount for the Sox is Bobby giving back $2 million of that in exchange for a long term deal. So:

2010 = $7 million
2011 = $8 million
2012 - $9 million + $1 million for perhaps a 2013 buy-out of a 4th year.

So 3 yrs $25 million is what it will take to keep Bobby long term, You think the Sox will be doing that?

chisox12
01-19-2009, 03:54 PM
I like it. I dont think this is a shock...

chisoxfanatic
01-19-2009, 04:07 PM
Might be too late for that. If Bobby got almost $6 right now, he will be shooting for $9 next year on a 1 year deal. Best long term discount for the Sox is Bobby giving back $2 million of that in exchange for a long term deal. So:

2010 = $7 million
2011 = $8 million

So 3 yrs $25 million is what it will take to keep Bobby long term, You think the Sox will be doing that?
Good point. If they wanted to have a "discount," they should've done it last year. I'll be happy to see him as our closer for another year, though. There aren't many other closers that I'd want over him. When he's on, he's ON!

EMachine10
01-19-2009, 04:12 PM
Sounds good to me. :gulp:

WhiteSox5187
01-19-2009, 04:15 PM

2010 = $7 million
2011 = $8 million

I don't think the Sox will do that, no. But the economics of baseball might be changing. Plus they have that kid in double A who they really like, don't they?

whitesox901
01-19-2009, 04:17 PM
:gulp:

KenBerryGrab
01-19-2009, 04:18 PM
I'm glad they didn't have to go to arbitration.

That process seems to fracture the relationship between player and team far too often.

rustysurf83
01-19-2009, 04:21 PM
or this year, if things arent going well in the standings

That's kind of what I'm thinking...if we are in a GASP! "rebuilding" year. It might have been more cost effective to sign him to a long deal this offseason.

LoveYourSuit
01-19-2009, 04:38 PM
That's kind of what I'm thinking...if we are in a GASP! "rebuilding" year. It might have been more cost effective to sign him to a long deal this offseason.

I agree.

I think had the Sox gone:

2009: $4.5
2010: $6
2011: $7.5 + $1 million (for 2012 team option buy-out)

Bobby would have taken it.

That's 3 yrs guranteed at $19 million

The fact that nothing was worked out on a long term deal means the Sox were indeed shopping him around and only might want to retain him for 1 more season and look to trade him again here in the near future. They might not have faith on his long term health.

Just my opinion

DoItForDanPasqua
01-19-2009, 04:52 PM
There is somewhat of a trend to sign players to multi year deals well before they become eligible for arbitration costing a club more in the short term, but keeping that player affordable in later years. Evan Longoria and Nick Markakis are two examples. Jenks may not be the best candidate, as there seems to be a bit of concern about his velocity, but what about guys like Danks and Floyd? Maybe this is a bit riskier for a starting pitcher, but I would think that they can be locked up for 5 years 40 million dollars each after the 2009 season.

jabrch
01-19-2009, 04:58 PM
Good point. If they wanted to have a "discount," they should've done it last year.

Last year a lot of folks were saying we shouldn't sign him long term because he was a healthy risk, on the decline, and he might have been a flash in the pan.

On each arguement, you can usually make a rational arguement either way, and we can often second guess it after it was made.

NLaloosh
01-19-2009, 05:23 PM
I don't see Kenny paying any closer almost $ 10 mil. I say that he trades Bobby after this season.

BadBobbyJenks
01-19-2009, 05:28 PM
I say lock him up for life.

soxfan1983
01-19-2009, 06:24 PM
In Kenny I Trust....

skobabe8
01-19-2009, 08:34 PM
Good for Bobby. Its not too often when you come across professional athletes who you want to actually get more money, but the last few years he has been one of those guys.

JB98
01-19-2009, 08:44 PM
Bobby is a health risk, but he's also a helluva closer. This is a good deal for both sides. It's good for Bobby because he will be compensated fairly for the upcoming season. It's good for the Sox, too, because it's only a one-year commitment.

ode to veeck
01-19-2009, 08:53 PM
good deal, now we have a closer for another year

but a real 3rd baseman would be nice

thomas35forever
01-19-2009, 09:53 PM
The wide, tall guy will continue to work wonders for us.

Irishsoxfan
01-20-2009, 07:59 AM
I'm glad Bobby got the big payday but I think if his price is 9/10 million in 2010 it won't be the Sox paying it.

TDog
01-20-2009, 08:40 AM
There is somewhat of a trend to sign players to multi year deals well before they become eligible for arbitration costing a club more in the short term, but keeping that player affordable in later years. Evan Longoria and Nick Markakis are two examples. Jenks may not be the best candidate, as there seems to be a bit of concern about his velocity, but what about guys like Danks and Floyd? Maybe this is a bit riskier for a starting pitcher, but I would think that they can be locked up for 5 years 40 million dollars each after the 2009 season.

Relief pitchers are a much bigger risk than position players and often they are more inconsistent than starters. The White Sox don't seem to be concerned with Jenks' velocity, but pitching is a fragile commodity.

Markakis didn't deserve the Markakis contract, though, so I'm not sure that would be a good example for the White Sox to follow.

doublem23
01-20-2009, 08:49 AM
Markakis didn't deserve the Markakis contract, though, so I'm not sure that would be a good example for the White Sox to follow.

How did Markakis not deserve that extension? The kid just turned 25 and had an OPS of .897 last season. His BA, OBA, and SLG have gone up all three seasons he's played in the Majors. Barring injury, of course (which isn't that big of a risk since he's only missed 21 games in his 1st 3 full seasons), the Orioles will have this kid locked up at a very below-market deal until he's 31.

It's a great contract.

TDog
01-20-2009, 09:15 AM
How did Markakis not deserve that extension? The kid just turned 25 and had an OPS of .897 last season. His BA, OBA, and SLG have gone up all three seasons he's played in the Majors. Barring injury, of course (which isn't that big of a risk since he's only missed 21 games in his 1st 3 full seasons), the Orioles will have this kid locked up at a very below-market deal until he's 31.

It's a great contract.

In the years of his contract, players earning less will outperform him. If he performs as the Orioles hope, the number will be few.

SBSoxFan
01-20-2009, 09:17 AM
What's a "Super 2" player?

MisterB
01-20-2009, 09:24 AM
What's a "Super 2" player?

Players are arbitration eligible after 3 years of ML service time, but a small group of players with just under 3 years (the "super twos") are also eligible. I don't remember exactly how they figure which players qualify, though.

doublem23
01-20-2009, 09:50 AM
In the years of his contract, players earning less will outperform him. If he performs as the Orioles hope, the number will be few.

:o:

Do you even know who Nick Markakis is? He posted the 7th best OPS in the American League last year. He's 25 years old, so he's just about to enter his prime years and has been in the MLB for 3 seasons now. He's not an "elite" player like Pujols or A-Rod, but he's clearly in that next rung. And they locked him up for most of his prime at a deal that will be well under market value.

SBSoxFan
01-20-2009, 10:34 AM
Players are arbitration eligible after 3 years of ML service time, but a small group of players with just under 3 years (the "super twos") are also eligible. I don't remember exactly how they figure which players qualify, though.

Thanks.

Thome25
01-20-2009, 11:50 AM

Do you even know who Nick Markakis is? He posted the 7th best OPS in the American League last year. He's 25 years old, so he's just about to enter his prime years and has been in the MLB for 3 seasons now. He's not an "elite" player like Pujols or A-Rod, but he's clearly in that next rung. And they locked him up for most of his prime at a deal that will be well under market value.

Exactly. Markakis may be on the verge of superstardom......11 mil per is going to seem like a a steal......WTS Markakis is loved here in the Baltimore-area.

soxfanreggie
01-20-2009, 02:35 PM
His record didn't last too long. Papelbon just got 1 year approx. $6.25 mil to avoid arbitration.

Vernam
01-20-2009, 06:34 PM
I am a huge Jenks fan and hope he stays here for a long, prosperous career. But on CTL just now, Dave Kaplan was arguing with Dave Van Dyck that the Sox should have locked Bobby up for four years. :kukoo: That's some Cub logic, right there. How'd that long-term deal for Mark Prior work for you, Kappy? :rolleyes:

That's why I watch CTL for about five minutes every other month.

Vernam

Konerko05
01-20-2009, 09:14 PM

He is also one of the best defensive RF in baseball.

TDog
01-20-2009, 10:31 PM

In fact I was talking about Markakis and his contract at breakfast Tuesday. He's a nice player, but there are players who will outperform him next year who won't make his money. He is the beneficiary of an artificially high market that isn't guaranteed to continue to inflate.

LoveYourSuit
01-20-2009, 10:31 PM
I am a huge Jenks fan and hope he stays here for a long, prosperous career. But on CTL just now, Dave Kaplan was arguing with Dave Van Dyck that the Sox should have locked Bobby up for four years. :kukoo: That's some Cub logic, right there. How'd that long-term deal for Mark Prior work for you, Kappy? :rolleyes:

That's why I watch CTL for about five minutes every other month.

Vernam

Depending on the terms of the contract, Kaplan might be making some sense here.

If the Sox would have gone 4 years with a much lower escalating base than what turn out to be this 1 year deal, the Sox would have been better off even with the long term injury risk on Jenks. What happens now is that the pending 2010 1 yr contract will get way too expensive for the Sox and if you thought this offseason trade talks were serious wait until next off-season.

pearso66
01-21-2009, 05:50 PM
I could see if this does indeed turn into a rebuilding year, that Kenny tries to trade Jenks at the trade deadline. Having him as a closer could be huge for a competitive team, especially if a closer goes down.