PDA

View Full Version : I Eat Crow - Aramis Ramirez = Jerk

kittle42
01-19-2009, 12:30 PM
Seeing as I have usually defended Aramis Ramirez (well, performance-wise, anyway), I guess I'll eat some crow and post this, showing he's kind of an *******.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/1385146,CST-SPT-cubnt19.article

In short, from the Cubs Convention:

Fan: ''What's your business strategy in getting Aramis Ramirez to come to the Cubs Convention?''

Mark McGuire: ''Our business strategy is to plead with him every year to come and then to find out he has no interest in coming.''

Sam Spade
01-19-2009, 01:08 PM
So not coming to the convention makes you a jerk?

hi im skot
01-19-2009, 01:10 PM

It's pretty lame.

Sam Spade
01-19-2009, 01:11 PM
It's pretty lame.
Ok, but I am not going to judge a man based on that alone.

kittle42
01-19-2009, 01:13 PM

No, I agree, just evidence to support many of the folks' here's contentions about him. It's just the way McGuire said it - they plead with him to come each year to find out "he has no interest in coming." He's been adored by the sheep long enough to at least make it once.

I_Liked_Manuel
01-19-2009, 01:18 PM
No, I agree, just evidence to support many of the folks' here's contentions about him. It's just the way McGuire said it - they plead with him to come each year to find out "he has no interest in coming." He's been adored by the sheep long enough to at least make it once.

Why? His job is to hit a baseball. If the Cubs wanted him there so badly, they would have put it in his contract. I can't fault a guy for not wanting to take time off from his offseason to come to sub-zero Chicago.

SOXPHILE
01-19-2009, 01:20 PM
He's probably too busy attending cock fights.

hi im skot
01-19-2009, 01:22 PM
I don't think Ramirez is necessarily a jerk, but it's certainly disappointing to hear that he's not willing to take a weekend to meet and greet fans.

:shrug:

HomeFish
01-19-2009, 01:39 PM
I would kill to have Aramis Ramirez on the White Sox.

The Critic
01-19-2009, 01:41 PM
I'd rather have a guy skip the convention than show up against his will and be all put out about it.

Frater Perdurabo
01-19-2009, 01:49 PM
I would kill to have Aramis Ramirez on the White Sox.

Yeah, because he looks great at third base wearing his glove on his head.

SoxyStu
01-19-2009, 01:51 PM
I'd bet the Cubs organization and its fans would like Aramis to show up in October...but that doesn't happen, either.

Marqhead
01-19-2009, 01:53 PM

I'm not the authority on fielding the 3rd base position, so I will relegate the question to higher powers.

Would you rather have your 3rd baseman field his position with his glove on his head, or with his face?

PennStater98r
01-19-2009, 01:53 PM
He's probably too busy attending cock fights.

Would that be like Barry Bonds against Sammy Sosa - and is Ramirez going there to learn a thing or two on how to participate as a ----? Nevermind.

34 Inch Stick
01-19-2009, 02:00 PM
It's pretty lame.

So are fan conventions.

DumpJerry
01-19-2009, 02:02 PM
He lurks on here and read this (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=108739) thread.

thedudeabides
01-19-2009, 02:14 PM
I'm not the authority on fielding the 3rd base position, so I will relegate the question to higher powers.

Would you rather have your 3rd baseman field his position with his glove on his head, or with his face?

:rolling:

That's one of the funnier things I've read on here in a while.

HomeFish
01-19-2009, 02:15 PM

Who cares, the guy can flat-out hit, and that is what we need from the third base position these days.

OmarLittle
01-19-2009, 02:37 PM

uh what?

WhiteSoxFan84
01-19-2009, 02:56 PM
Aramis Ramirez = a very good player. offensively and defensively (he looks better on the field than he really is because of derek lee but he's good none the less)
Aramis Ramirez DOES = a jerk for not making the convention at least once.

These people pay your salary, wear your jersey, cheer for you even though they've never met you. My friend met him at a club during the summer and she said he was a "decent guy" but very flirty and very forward. She took a pic with him and walked away. I won't judge the guy because of that experience, but he seems like a piece of ****. Too bad. Too many of these athletes who get all this money are *******s.

central44
01-19-2009, 03:01 PM
Why? His job is to hit a baseball. If the Cubs wanted him there so badly, they would have put it in his contract. I can't fault a guy for not wanting to take time off from his offseason to come to sub-zero Chicago.

He gets paid millions of dollars to do a job that, in the grand scheme of things, contributes nothing to society as a whole, and on top of that he gets entire winters off. Making him spend one weekend in Chicago with the fans that make him famous isn't asking a whole lot, even if he has to put on some stupid fake grin and watch the clock the entire time. I know i'd gladly take his place.

DickAllen72
01-19-2009, 03:04 PM
Who cares, the guy can flat-out hit, and that is what we need from the third base position these days.
Except during a big game when the pressure is on. The man is a loser. One of the few things I ever agreed with Mike North about was the fact that Aramis Ramirez is "weak stock".

veeter
01-19-2009, 03:25 PM
So not coming to the convention makes you a jerk?Well, he should realize who pays his salary. I hate the cubs and many of their fans, but even they deserve to get his stupid autograph.

jabrch
01-19-2009, 03:35 PM
Well, he should realize who pays his salary.

His salary, contrary to public opinion, is paid by the club. If this was important to them, they'd put it in his contract. The fans pay for tickets to baseball games. That's it. Fans expectations of what they should get for buying a ticket to a game is out of line with what they are actually contracting for.

SoxGirl4Life
01-19-2009, 04:11 PM
Can we not let the man eat crow in peace without arguing about it?

Konerko05
01-19-2009, 04:17 PM
I'm not one of those Sox fans who despise every player on the Cubs, but I have never been a fan of Aramis Ramirez. I always tell my Cubs fan brother that Ramirez is a lazy *******. He usually agrees with me.

I_Liked_Manuel
01-19-2009, 04:29 PM
He gets paid millions of dollars to do a job that, in the grand scheme of things, contributes nothing to society as a whole, and on top of that he gets entire winters off. Making him spend one weekend in Chicago with the fans that make him famous isn't asking a whole lot, even if he has to put on some stupid fake grin and watch the clock the entire time. I know i'd gladly take his place.

You're right, but that's from our perspective.

His bat and glove make him famous, not Cub fans.

Konerko05
01-19-2009, 04:42 PM

Everyone understands the Cubs convention isn't part of his contract. That's the part that irks people. The notion that he refuses to do anything outside of his contract does lead people to believe he is a jerk.

The Cubs organization, and the fans treat Ramirez very well. The fact that he can not show up to one Cubs convention to return the favor is a little ridiculous. It is just a nice gesture that Ramirez seems incapable of fulfilling. I've already had my opinions about Ramirez, this situation just fuels my dislike. Watching the guy stare at a pop-ups drop in foul territory on several different occasions already told me he is lazy and selfish.

oeo
01-19-2009, 05:21 PM

Give back to the people that support you all summer, and really have you making the kind of money you are. :dunno:

If 'subzero Chicago' is the excuse, then waaah. You mean you have to sit inside for a day or two? Oh my...:whiner:

His salary, contrary to public opinion, is paid by the club. If this was important to them, they'd put it in his contract. The fans pay for tickets to baseball games. That's it. Fans expectations of what they should get for buying a ticket to a game is out of line with what they are actually contracting for.

Take away the fans, and there is no MLB, which means no club to pay him. This isn't rocket science.

Again, take away the fans and what do you have?

I_Liked_Manuel
01-19-2009, 07:28 PM
The general gist of the argument here is that since the Cubs have a convention that fans will be at, his salary is high, he could probably make it if he wanted to, and he should be there - right?

These guys are available often for autographs, be it in spring training or before a game. If the guy wants his offseason to be by himself, that doesn't make him a jerk - regardless of the money he makes.

For all we know - which is nothing outside of some comment by Cubs personnel - he could have negotiated the Cubs convention out of his contract.

This discussion's as pathetic as the one where the guy complained about Dye not signing his baseball on the sweet spot at Soxfest

soxwon
01-19-2009, 07:58 PM

i am all cubs n cub fans are wormscum.

Sam Spade
01-19-2009, 10:04 PM
That might be a popular opinion here but my girlfriend, my mom, and some of my best friends are cubs fans.

jabrch
01-20-2009, 06:28 AM
Take away the fans, and there is no MLB, which means no club to pay him. This isn't rocket science.

Take away the tires, and your car won't run either.

Why the hell would you expect tires to go away?

Failure for one player to attend the Cubs convention will not "take away the fans" in any way, shape or form. That thing sells out in minutes no matter who attends.

WhiteSoxOnly
01-20-2009, 06:35 PM
That might be a popular opinion here but my girlfriend, my mom, and some of my best friends are cubs fans.

Dump 'em all then...ok,mom has to stay but the rest of the lot
forget it.

hi im skot
01-20-2009, 08:05 PM

I wouldn't expect this from DA REV!

:o:

Eddo144
01-20-2009, 08:31 PM
The only fans he's disappointing with this action are the ones who come to the convention.

Take away the fans who come to the Cubs' convention, and... MLB loses a few thousand fans. :shrug:

Konerko05
01-20-2009, 08:52 PM
The only fans he's disappointing with this action are the ones who come to the convention.

Take away the fans who come to the Cubs' convention, and... MLB loses a few thousand fans. :shrug:

I think you and jabrch both interpreted oeo's post wrong.

He was responding to jabrch claiming "fans do not pay the player's salary."
I believe oeo is saying fans do pay the salaries. Fans pay the owners, and the owners give that same money to the players.

No fans = no money.

Eddo144
01-20-2009, 09:00 PM
I think you and jabrch both interpreted oeo's post wrong.

He was responding to jabrch claiming "fans do not pay the player's salary."
I believe oeo is saying fans do pay the salaries. Fans pay the owners, and the owners give that same money to the players.

No fans = no money.
True. But fans are very forgiving as long as players perform well on the field. The only thing that drives fans away is work stoppages, as evidenced by the recent decrease in popularity of the NHL and NBA, and the mid-90s lows for MLB.

Konerko05
01-20-2009, 09:05 PM
True. But fans are very forgiving as long as players perform well on the field. The only thing that drives fans away is work stoppages, as evidenced by the recent decrease in popularity of the NHL and NBA, and the mid-90s lows for MLB.

I agree fans are forgiving. I don't think any fans are going to alter their fandom based on Ramirez ditching the Cubs convention.

I just believe attending the convention is a nice gesture to show appreciation to the fans and organization that have taken care of him for the last six years. Refusing to attend any of these conventions just fuels my opinion that Ramirez is a jerk.

Eddo144
01-20-2009, 09:16 PM
I agree fans are forgiving. I don't think any fans are going to alter their fandom based on Ramirez ditching the Cubs convention.

I just believe attending the convention is a nice gesture to show appreciation to the fans and organization that have taken care of him for the last six years. Refusing to attend any of these conventions just fuels my opinion that Ramirez is a jerk.
Now that I totally agree with. Everything I've ever heard about Ramirez off the field has been bad. Attending conventions is just a nice thing to do. And look at how well it has kept the legacies of Minoso and Pierce alive.

RKMeibalane
01-20-2009, 09:24 PM
I don't think Ramirez is necessarily a jerk, but it's certainly disappointing to hear that he's not willing to take a weekend to meet and greet fans.

:shrug:

Bear in mind that you're talking about Cubs fans.

SBSoxFan
01-21-2009, 08:53 AM

I'm not sure Josh is that bad, but as long as he keeps the ball in front of him, he'll be okay! He used to play football; a few balls of the face won't bother him.

ChiSoxFan81
01-21-2009, 09:54 AM
Guys, back off. It's not his fault that they schedule the Cubs convention every year during his big cockfighting tournament.