PDA

View Full Version : Sam Zell tale...

DrCrawdad
01-18-2009, 01:23 PM
Apparently Crane Kenney related this story about Sam Zell:

At Cubbie Connvention, Crane Kenney said that Sam Zell attended only ONE White Sox game and that was the World Series. At the World Series Kenney said Zell left early. But since going to Wrigley he's been converted to Cubbiedumb and was transfixed by Wrigley's magical charm.

I don't know quite how to link directly to the "report" but here it is (http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2009/1/17/726886/saturday-afternoon-cubs-co#11559278) about midway down. Or you can see the quote here (http://home.mindspring.com/%7Edcrosby101/Zell.jpg) without trying to find it.

This sounds to me like Crane Kenney was "playing to the crowd" as it was related at Cubbie connvention.

Does anyone know if the story is true/false? Is it true that Sam Zell attended only one Sox game?

IF so, was that one game the World Series?

gr8mexico
01-18-2009, 02:20 PM
Apparently Crane Kenney related this story about Sam Zell:

Mod edit. You quote something without even saying where you got it from. Post a link to the source and briefly paraphrase your point if it is not obvious from the piece.

This sounds to me like Crane Kenney was "playing to the crowd" as it was related at Cubbie connvention.

Does anyone know if the story is true/false? Is it true that Sam Zell attended only one Sox game?

IF so, was that one game the World Series?
That's not true at all.
I know he had season tickets for a fact

DrCrawdad
01-18-2009, 02:48 PM
That's not true at all.
I know he had season tickets for a fact

Did you see him there yourself? Were you working at US Cellular/Comiskey? Where were the seats?

I think the Zell story is BS, and I'd like to respond with info (substantiation) if at all possible.

Thanks!

rdivaldi
01-18-2009, 03:01 PM
Pfft. nothing but fluff to make sure that the Flubbie faithful keep worshiping a crumbling, urine scented bar.

veeter
01-18-2009, 03:19 PM
Crane Kenney is just another reason why the cubs will never win. He's paid to say negative things about the Sox. He's obsessed with Ozzie. It seems he got a little too cute at the convention, and mentioned something about Bartman. He got booed. Who gives a crap how many Sox games Sam Zell went to. These are the tremendously important things that ******* Kenney thinks about. What a ****ing loser.

jabrch
01-18-2009, 03:24 PM
I've been to the Cubs convention before - this is not a surprise.

Nor is it likely true.

Johnny Mostil
01-18-2009, 05:31 PM
Who is Crane Kenney?:?:

(Or is ignorance bliss?)

DrCrawdad
01-18-2009, 06:17 PM
Who is Crane Kenney?:?:

(Or is ignorance bliss?)

He's a Cubune snob.

WhiteSoxOnly
01-18-2009, 07:00 PM
He's a Cubune snob.

How'd that Wrigley Field priest thing work out for Crane ? :wink:

kittle42
01-18-2009, 07:57 PM

Saw that in the paper today. Seriously, what a damn idiot.

areilly
01-18-2009, 08:52 PM
Is this thread real, or did I hit my head on something, fall unconscious and simply imagine it while under the influence of the extremely powerful painkillers forced into my veins by intravenous injection?

Lundind1
01-19-2009, 01:28 AM
Don't you folks mean Crane Kennedy??? :rolling:

Jpgr91
01-19-2009, 11:38 AM
A former boss of mine was acquaintances with Sam Zell. He would frequently go to parties that Zell would host at his condo in the city. It is my understanding he has a floor in the condo units that are above the Park Hyatt. My old boss was a HUGE baseball fan, not so much of a team but specific players from his childhood. Knowing that I was a Sox fan, my boss would pass along interesting pieces of information here and there. My boss said that he occasionally would go to Sox games with Sam Zell. So I would assume this story not to be true. But realistically, someone who is as busy as Sam Zell would probably not have much free time for baseball.

SOXPHILE
01-19-2009, 01:27 PM

You know, I heard something on the radio today that was a little interesting. This Cub fan on the phone said he asked Emperor Kenney I about the priest blessing the dugout. His majesty has been admitting it was a dumb mistake, but this guy asked him if it was done to be a part of that whole stupid documentary that was being filmed last year, if the crew that was following the team around asked them to do this to make it a part of the story. (Last year was THE YEAR you know. It's GONNA HAPPEN). He said that His Holiness seemed taken aback by the question, and a little uncomfortable, then denied it. I wouldn't be surprised though. Just another example of how that organization continues to be all sizzle and no steak, yet the throngs of idiot lemming fans and media continue to slurp it up.

DrCrawdad
01-19-2009, 08:00 PM
You know, I heard something on the radio today that was a little interesting. This Cub fan on the phone said he asked Emperor Kenney I about the priest blessing the dugout. His majesty has been admitting it was a dumb mistake, but this guy asked him if it was done to be a part of that whole stupid documentary that was being filmed last year, if the crew that was following the team around asked them to do this to make it a part of the story. (Last year was THE YEAR you know. It's GONNA HAPPEN). He said that His Holiness seemed taken aback by the question, and a little uncomfortable, then denied it. I wouldn't be surprised though. Just another example of how that organization continues to be all sizzle and no steak, yet the throngs of idiot lemming fans and media continue to slurp it up.

Was that on the Score? IF so, what show and what approximate time? I'd like to hear that.

SOXPHILE
01-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Was that on the Score? IF so, what show and what approximate time? I'd like to hear that.

It was on the abomination known as the Holmes & Hampton Show. They were talking a little about the Cubs convention in the beggining of the show.

DrCrawdad
01-19-2009, 09:49 PM
It was on the abomination known as the Holmes & Hampton Show. They were talking a little about the Cubs convention in the beggining of the show.

Thanks. I just listened to that report. Funny!

"Crane is such a stand-up, honest to goodness great guy...He didn't want to get the media involved. That's why he had a documentary film crew record the Orthodox priest "blessing" the dugout."

Oh, and hello to the Cubbie fans lurking here from BleedCubbieBlue! Just remember, keep on telling yourself and others that you "don't give a damn about the Sox"!

ChiSoxGirl
01-19-2009, 10:00 PM
Thanks. I just listened to that report. Funny!

"Crane is such a stand-up, honest to goodness great guy...He didn't want to get the media involved. That's why he had a documentary film crew record the Orthodox priest "blessing" the dugout."

Oh, and hello to the Cubbie fans lurking here from BleedCubbieBlue! Just remember, keep on telling yourself and others that you "don't give a damn about the Sox"!

:rolling:

DrCrawdad
01-19-2009, 10:34 PM
:rolling:

No, I know for a fact that posters from BleedCubbieBlue lurk here at WSI and in fact have "lurked" this discussion. That's quite rich because these same "lurkers" have repeatedly stated that they "don't give a damn about the Sox." They have an odd way of proving that point by making dozens and dozens and dozens of posts about the Sox and lurking here at WSI.

slavko
01-19-2009, 10:45 PM
Again: Zell likely is the majority partner in the White Sox. Yes, I know JR is the managing partner. The Kenney story is a crock. You expected different at a Cubbie convention?

DrCrawdad
01-19-2009, 11:19 PM
Yesterday I questioned (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=108923) the veracity of Crane Kenney's account at Cubbie Convention of how Sam Zell only ever attended ONE Sox game. Now it comes (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-20-cubs-priest-chicagojan20,0,5503072.story) out that the Orthodox priest who "blessed" the Cubbies says that Kenney misinformed (dare we say lied?) to Cubbie fans at the convention.

Crane Kenney: The priest approached us.
The Priest: The Cubbies approached me.

EuroSox35
01-20-2009, 02:48 AM
I remember a Reinsdorf interview with Mike North months ago where they talked about Zell. IIRC, Zell got a stake in the team for some family member (an inlaw IIRC) who was a big fan. I'm sure he's gone to more then one game (in fact I think JR referenced that he goes to games once in a while), but in reality it sounds like he couldn't care less about baseball

jabrch
01-20-2009, 06:30 AM
Again: Zell likely is the majority partner in the White Sox.

What makes you say that?

DumpJerry
01-20-2009, 06:53 AM
So? Maybe a Cubbie fan group would care.......

DumpJerry
01-20-2009, 06:55 AM
Again: Zell likely is the majority partner in the White Sox.
The owners all have equal shares.

kittle42
01-20-2009, 08:10 AM
Well, this may be the least important story of the offseason.

Craig Grebeck
01-20-2009, 08:18 AM
No way!

esbrechtel
01-20-2009, 08:19 AM
here comes another excuse for a curse....:rolleyes:

oeo
01-20-2009, 08:32 AM
I just wanted to mention that Crane Kenney comes off as a complete douche.

central44
01-20-2009, 09:09 AM
Well, when I heard Kenney's story about Zell and the White Sox, I was kind of pissed off. I mean, i've been to both ballparks, there's nothing about Wrigley that's so "magical" the way it's spun, and if I had the choice i'd definitley prefer to watch baseball at US Cellular Field.

So yeah, I was pissed off when I heard that guy trying to promote the Cubs--at the expense of the White Sox. It's good to hear that he's just full of BS. I mean, we'd already assumed that but this is tangible evidence of it.

oeo
01-20-2009, 09:13 AM
Well, when I heard Kenney's story about Zell and the White Sox, I was kind of pissed off. I mean, i've been to both ballparks, there's nothing about Wrigley that's so "magical" the way it's spun, and if I had the choice i'd definitley prefer to watch baseball at US Cellular Field.

So yeah, I was pissed off when I heard that guy trying to promote the Cubs--at the expense of the White Sox. It's good to hear that he's just full of BS. I mean, we'd already assumed that but this is tangible evidence of it.

He was on Chicago Tribune Live sometime over the summer, along with Brooks, and he had this same kind of attitude. The elitist, 'I'm better than you' type deal, right to Brooks' face. Ever since, I can't stand the guy. He's just another reason to hate the Cubs. :shrug:

wulfy
01-20-2009, 09:20 AM
Here's the good news ... he'll probably be a non-entity in a day or two.

dickallen15
01-20-2009, 09:37 AM
When you have a name like Crane Kennedy, there's a pretty good chance you will be a jackass.

DrCrawdad
01-20-2009, 06:42 PM
I agree with Dan Bernstein who "blogged" (http://www.670-thescore.com/blog/2009/01/20/bb-inauguration-day-09/comment-page-1/#comment-513) this today:

Is Crane Kenney really as slimy as he seems, now? He told our show Friday that the Greek priest contacted him about blessing the dugout before the playoffs, and he obliged. The priest claims Kenney contact(ed) him with a specific request for him to perform the ritual. I believe the priest.

ME TOO!

ChiSoxGirl
01-20-2009, 08:27 PM
No, I know for a fact that posters from BleedCubbieBlue lurk here at WSI and in fact have "lurked" this discussion. That's quite rich because these same "lurkers" have repeatedly stated that they "don't give a damn about the Sox." They have an odd way of proving that point by making dozens and dozens and dozens of posts about the Sox and lurking here at WSI.

I wasn't saying they don't lurk here, I was laughing at the fact that you specifically addressed them and said hello. :wink:

cws05champ
01-21-2009, 08:09 AM
I just wanted to mention that Crane Kenney comes off as a complete douche.
I don't think Crane needs any help with that.

DrCrawdad
01-21-2009, 08:23 AM
I wasn't saying they don't lurk here, I was laughing at the fact that you specifically addressed them and said hello. :wink:

Yeah it was funny that I got an email from a BCB (http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/) poster and he (probably inadvertently) mentioned reading this discussion thread.

This poster and many other Cubbie fans routinely say they don't care at all about the Sox or what Sox fans have to say. So then he's (and other Cubbie fans) here reading discussions. Hey that's fine that they're here, lurking about, but it's just more hypocrisy that they then make those loud claims about not caring at all about the Sox or what Sox fans have to say.

When the BCB poster mentioned to me that he read this discussion, I asked him what led him here, was it another BCB poster who sent him the link or was he just perusing WSI? He fled and never responded.

http://www.best-of-web.com/_images/080508-215101-282007.jpg

areilly
01-24-2009, 10:44 PM
Wow. Cubs brass misled a willing and gullible public. What a shock. Won't somebody please think of the children?