PDA

View Full Version : Cubs trade Pie to Orioles

Sockinchisox
01-18-2009, 02:20 PM
For Garrett Olson and a Class-A pitcher.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9097924/Sources:-Cubs-trade-CF-Pie-to-Orioles

JermaineDye05
01-18-2009, 02:27 PM
How the hell did they get more than one player for Felix Pie? I'd love to know what we could get for Brian Anderson.

jamokes
01-18-2009, 02:46 PM
The Orioles have Adam Jones, what do they need with Pie?

Craig Grebeck
01-18-2009, 02:49 PM
How the hell did they get more than one player for Felix Pie? I'd love to know what we could get for Brian Anderson.
Swing and a miss.

getonbckthr
01-18-2009, 03:04 PM
the orioles have adam jones, what do they need with pie?
lf?

turners56
01-18-2009, 03:06 PM
Garret Olsen isn't very good.

Finally, there will no longer be rumblings of Felix Pie in every trade rumor surrounding the Cubs.

turners56
01-18-2009, 03:06 PM
The Orioles have Adam Jones, what do they need with Pie?
Andy McPhail runs the team.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-18-2009, 03:08 PM
Didn't the Padres want Garrett Olson as part of the Cubs' package for Jake Peavy?

getonbckthr
01-18-2009, 03:08 PM
Wasn't Olsen supposedly the missing piece to a Peavy deal?

JermaineDye05
01-18-2009, 03:14 PM
Wasn't Olsen supposedly the missing piece to a Peavy deal?

...and a fourth team.

Padres owner believes they will be starting the season with Peavy.

I've said before I think Jake will be with us on Opening Day, and I still believe that. The bottom line is I think he is going to be with us to open the season.

Link (http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/jan/16/padres-tickets-below-two-million/?padres)

I really think the Peavy to Cubs ship has sailed, I think once the Cubs sign Randy Wolf or some other veteran starter that will finally end the rumors.

getonbckthr
01-18-2009, 03:16 PM
...and a fourth team.

Padres owner believes they will be starting the season with Peavy.

Link (http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/jan/16/padres-tickets-below-two-million/?padres)

I really think the Peavy to Cubs ship has sailed, I think once the Cubs sign Randy Wolf or some other veteran starter that will finally end the rumors.
Thats fine it just means alot of money going to the PAdres owners' future ex-wife.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-18-2009, 03:19 PM
Hate to hi-jack this thread, but has anyone reported anything Jeff Moorad (potential next owner of the Padres) has said, if anything, regarding whether he wants to keep Peavy or not?

JermaineDye05
01-18-2009, 03:26 PM
Hate to hi-jack this thread, but has anyone reported anything Jeff Moorad (potential next owner of the Padres) has said, if anything, regarding whether he wants to keep Peavy or not?

He wants to keep him.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-18-2009, 03:33 PM
He wants to keep him.

You're assuming this or you read it somewhere? If you read it somewhere, can you post the link?

JermaineDye05
01-18-2009, 04:35 PM
You're assuming this or you read it somewhere? If you read it somewhere, can you post the link?

whoops for some reason I thought I read somewhere that he said this. Basically I read that with him buying the team, they wouldn't need to continue with the fire sale. They can keep Peavy. I forget where I read that though.

BadBobbyJenks
01-18-2009, 04:52 PM
I would have loved to taken a flier on Pie. What is he all of 23?

kittle42
01-18-2009, 05:17 PM

Don't we have enough ****ty CF's? He is probably a better play than Anderson, Owens or Wise though.

Boondock Saint
01-18-2009, 05:21 PM

He is pretty young, but he makes up for that inexperience in spades by being VERY bad at baseball.

FedEx227
01-18-2009, 05:36 PM
Don't we have enough ****ty CF's? He is probably a better play than Anderson, Owens or Wise though.

.223/.284/.331 says otherwise.

:scratch:

OmarLittle
01-18-2009, 05:43 PM
I'm guessing that this is a precursor to a Peavy deal, pending approval from the new owner.

kittle42
01-18-2009, 06:52 PM
.223/.284/.331 says otherwise.

:scratch:

Yeah - I know how much be blows. He's likely to continue his status as a huge bust, but he "has a better upside" than our guys.

DrCrawdad
01-18-2009, 08:02 PM
Just another hyper-hyped Cubbie prospect being shipped off after a failure to launch.

Craig Grebeck
01-18-2009, 08:04 PM
The way some people talk about the Cubs around here you'd think they hadn't been to the postseason two straight seasons. They're a pretty decent organization.

DrCrawdad
01-18-2009, 08:08 PM
The way some people talk about the Cubs around here you'd think they hadn't been to the postseason two straight seasons. They're a pretty decent organization.

Let's not forget that they were uber-lucky in 2007. Lucky to play in the worst division in MLB in the worst league in MLB and in spite of that they won all of what, 84 or 85 games?

http://www.thesportsdungeon.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/overrated.jpg

Craig Grebeck
01-18-2009, 08:09 PM
Let's not forget that they were uber-lucky in 2007. Lucky to play in the worst division in MLB in the worst league in MLB and in spite of that they won all of what, 84 or 85 games?

http://www.thesportsdungeon.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/overrated.jpg
They're not a bad organization.

kittle42
01-18-2009, 08:57 PM

A win is a win. Were the Sox uber-lucky last year?

Tragg
01-18-2009, 09:01 PM
I'd take Rich Hill as a flyer - give them MacDougal and split the salary.

DrCrawdad
01-18-2009, 09:03 PM
A win is a win. Were the Sox uber-lucky last year?

Uber-lucky? No. Lucky, sure every team has luck. I don't think the Sox were luckier than other teams. But the '08 Sox won more games than the '07 Cubbies PLUS the Sox played in the tougher league and a tougher division.

The '07 Cubbies were a the best team in a terrible division and it that was made clear in the post-season.

Palehose Pete
01-18-2009, 09:09 PM
Andy McPhail runs the team.

Bingo.

the1tab
01-18-2009, 09:41 PM
Olson was indeed a pitcher named in the Peavy rumors. But, yes, there needed to be a fourth team.

Enter the DeRosa-Cleveland deal, in which the Cubs got three more young arms.

I fear this Peavy deal might actually happen.

01-19-2009, 02:52 AM

I've heard on local radio that he has said he wants to keep him.

WizardsofOzzie
01-19-2009, 09:37 AM
I remember not too long ago, the Cubs were touting Pie as a 5 tool player and the end all be all to any problem they were experiencing.

jabrch
01-19-2009, 10:07 AM
I remember not too long ago, the Cubs were touting Pie as a 5 tool player and the end all be all to any problem they were experiencing.

He took the same path that Patterson took. Highly talented -and very young. Just never materialize. Shipped off to the Orioles.

He's a different player than Patterson, but his career, to date, is looking similar. I would take a shot at Pie, but not if it cost me two similar arms to the guys Baltimore gave up. Remember, Pie is out of options, so it's not like you can just put him in AAA and work him out.

Flight #24
01-19-2009, 10:13 AM
I wouldn't pretend to know much about Olson other than what I've read, but here's one take:

The Cubs had their backs against the wall with Pie out of options, but it's hard to believe this is the best they could do

Olson has been a mess in the majors so far.....However, he's still just 25 years old and has the stuff to succeed as a mid-rotation starter after posting a 3.12 ERA and 159/55 K/BB ratio in 164 1/3 innings at Triple-A. Command will be the key, because his high-80s fastball isn't going to overpower anyone.

Now that's not to say that San D isn't for some reason enamored with him, but this is NOT a top-tier prospect, if anything it sounds like a guy worse off than say Floyd when the Sox dealt for him.

Tragg
01-19-2009, 10:40 AM
Now that's not to say that San D isn't for some reason enamored with him, but this is NOT a top-tier prospect, if anything it sounds like a guy worse off than say Floyd when the Sox dealt for him.
A lot worse off - this guy sounds like a wild Broadway.

MHOUSE
01-22-2009, 02:00 PM
I think it's funny how the Peavy to Cubs rumors persisted for so long with basically the same pieces in place from the Cubs' side and now they've traded all those guys in separate deals for basically peanuts because they're worthless. That anyone thought they had the parts necessary to grab Peavy is so absurd. I read somewhere that Hendry said Pie, Cedeno, and Hill were all goners before spring training. Talk about selling low. I don't understand why you sign old, not very good players like Miles and Gathright when you can hang onto younger, more-upside guys like Cedeno and Pie to fill similar roles. The Cubs logic confuses me.

veeter
01-22-2009, 03:11 PM
I think it's funny how the Peavy to Cubs rumors persisted for so long with basically the same pieces in place from the Cubs' side and now they've traded all those guys in separate deals for basically peanuts because they're worthless. That anyone thought they had the parts necessary to grab Peavy is so absurd. I read somewhere that Hendry said Pie, Cedeno, and Hill were all goners before spring training. Talk about selling low. I don't understand why you sign old, not very good players like Miles and Gathright when you can hang onto younger, more-upside guys like Cedeno and Pie to fill similar roles. The Cubs logic confuses me.The writers and radio guys that cover the cubs, are cub fans themselves. So they "report" what they WANT to happen, instead of what HAS happened or logically will happen. You'd think half these guys were on their payroll. A guy I work with hangs on every word Levine says. So really, these cubbie media types help fuel the sheep's hopes and dreams. Cub logic confuses you because it's illogical.

Lip Man 1
01-22-2009, 04:47 PM
Veeter:

It's interesting that you brought this up. I was told basically the same thing by a member of the media who covers the Sox on a regular basis.

They said the Cubs "beat writers" and reporters are all die hard Cub fans and that interferes with their ability to cover the team impartially.

They said the Sox beat guys are good people who love the game and try to look at things objectively.

Lip

Lip Man 1
01-22-2009, 04:48 PM
Also point of clarification when I said Cub "beat writers." Paul Sullivan is not a Cubs fan...far from it in fact.

Lip

Craig Grebeck
01-22-2009, 04:59 PM
Veeter:

It's interesting that you brought this up. I was told basically the same thing by a member of the media who covers the Sox on a regular basis.

They said the Cubs "beat writers" and reporters are all die hard Cub fans and that interferes with their ability to cover the team impartially.

They said the Sox beat guys are good people who love the game and try to look at things objectively.

Lip
Of course the Sox guys are like that. The usual good (Sox) vs. evil (Cubs) bull**** that's perpetuated 'round these parts.

doublem23
01-22-2009, 05:31 PM
Of course the Sox guys are like that. The usual good (Sox) vs. evil (Cubs) bull**** that's perpetuated 'round these parts.

Well, his source that describes the Sox beat writers as good is a Sox beat writer. Totally impartial.

Craig Grebeck
01-22-2009, 05:34 PM
Well, his source that describes the Sox beat writers as good is a Sox beat writer. Totally impartial.
Good point. Perhaps he could ask DrCrawdad to follow up -- y'know, for the sake of impartiality?

DrCrawdad
01-22-2009, 06:23 PM
Good point. Perhaps he could ask DrCrawdad to follow up -- y'know, for the sake of impartiality?

First off, LeVineLine, Bruce Miles, Les Grobstein are Cubbie fans. I would say that in the case of each of these their reporting is effected by their fandumb, and it goes beyond fandumb with these guys too - each are glossy eyed Cubbie spinsters. Do you disagree with that?

Second, (thanks for the gratuitous poke in the eye) who the hell are you - Cubbie fan? WSI ombudsman?

Madscout
01-22-2009, 07:43 PM
Nothin to see here, just your old crap for crap trade.

thedudeabides
01-22-2009, 09:34 PM

You love to instigate, don't you?

guillensdisciple
01-22-2009, 09:49 PM
First off, LeVineLine, Bruce Miles, Les Grobstein are Cubbie fans. I would say that in the case of each of these their reporting is effected by their fandumb, and it goes beyond fandumb with these guys too - each are glossy eyed Cubbie spinsters. Do you disagree with that?

Second, (thanks for the gratuitous poke in the eye) who the hell are you - Cubbie fan? WSI ombudsman?

Craig is one weird person , I would like to hate him because of his unintentional offensive nature, but he actually makes some good points on this board. Either way, he sure does sound like a cubs fan sometimes.:scratch:

Craig Grebeck
01-22-2009, 10:17 PM
You love to instigate, don't you?
Guilty as charged.

Well, you're as neutral a source on the matter as random White Sox beat writers. I'd say it's pretty stupid to believe that beat writers are either totally neutral (in the case of the Sox, apparently) or biased towards the team they cover -- or at least enough to cloud what they are reporting. Also, many beat writers who don't cover the Cubs heard the Peavy deal was close, so that nullifies this whole argument about Peavy/favoritism.
Craig is one weird person , I would like to hate him because of his unintentional offensive nature, but he actually makes some good points on this board. Either way, he sure does sound like a cubs fan sometimes.:scratch:
Not a Cubs fan. I'm a Sox fan. Have been my whole life, but, while they can be annoying for six games a year, I try not to give a **** about the other team in Chicago.

DrCrawdad
01-22-2009, 10:53 PM
Guilty as charged.

Well, you're as neutral a source on the matter as random White Sox beat writers. I'd say it's pretty stupid to believe that beat writers are either totally neutral (in the case of the Sox, apparently) or biased towards the team they cover -- or at least enough to cloud what they are reporting.

First, you're wrong. I'm a rabid Sox fan. Never claimed to be anything but (and that was one of the things that drew me initially to WSI). Of the reporters covering the Sox, which ones would you consider Sox fans? And your comparison to me is ridiculous.

Totally unbiased would probably be an overstatement, but if you don't think those Cubbie reporters I mentioned are the polar opposite of unbiased then you're either not paying attention or your a Cubbie fan.

The Cubbies do in fact have a group of rabid Cubbie reporters covering the team with perhaps the sole exception being Paul Sullivan, who sure goes out of his way to please, no doubt the result of being called to the office and yelled at by Cubbie & Cubune brass.

Not a Cubs fan. I'm a Sox fan. Have been my whole life, but, while they can be annoying for six games a year, I try not to give a **** about the other team in Chicago.

If Cubbie fans don't annoy you more than six games a year, then you must not live or work around many Cubbie fans.

Craig Grebeck
01-22-2009, 11:14 PM
First, you're wrong. I'm a rabid Sox fan. Never claimed to be anything but (and that was one of the things that drew me initially to WSI). Of the reporters covering the Sox, which ones would you consider Sox fans? And your comparison to me is ridiculous.

Totally unbiased would probably be an overstatement, but if you don't think those Cubbie reporters I mentioned are the polar opposite of unbiased then you're either not paying attention or your a Cubbie fan.

The Cubbies do in fact have a group of rabid Cubbie reporters covering the team with perhaps the sole exception being Paul Sullivan, who sure goes out of his way to please, no doubt the result of being called to the office and yelled at by Cubbie & Cubune brass.

If Cubbie fans don't annoy you more than six games a year, then you must not live or work around many Cubbie fans.
My point is I don't believe any beat writers are totally neutral. Their jobs revolve around a single team, so I doubt that many don't let their emotions seep through from time to time.

The Sox do in fact have a group of rabid Sox reporters covering the team with the sole exception being Joe Cowley, who sure goes out of his way to please, no doubt the result of being called to the office and yelled at by Sox and Sun-Times brass.

I guess I just don't let fans of other baseball teams bother me. They like their teams, and they are completely entitled to their opinions.

DrCrawdad
01-22-2009, 11:29 PM
My point is I don't believe any beat writers are totally neutral. Their jobs revolve around a single team, so I doubt that many don't let their emotions seep through from time to time.

The Sox do in fact have a group of rabid Sox reporters covering the team with the sole exception being Joe Cowley, who sure goes out of his way to please, no doubt the result of being called to the office and yelled at by Sox and Sun-Times brass.

I guess I just don't let fans of other baseball teams bother me. They like their teams, and they are completely entitled to their opinions.

I wasn't clear, I guess. The Cubbies have a group of rabid Cubbie fans covering the team. I named three - LeVineLine, Miles & Grobstein. Who are the rabid Sox fans who regularly cover the Sox?

As far as Cowley being yelled at by Sox brass & Sun-Times brass, and I'm not aware that that happened, if it did happen it's hardly the same as Sullivan being taken to task about his coverage by Cubbie brass and his own Cubune boss. To compare this supposed Cowley and Sox brass incident to the Sullivan vs. Cubbie & Cubune brass is, well moronic.

Now please, drop the masquerade, you are a Cubbie fan.

Craig Grebeck
01-22-2009, 11:59 PM
I wasn't clear, I guess. The Cubbies have a group of rabid Cubbie fans covering the team. I named three - LeVineLine, Miles & Grobstein. Who are the rabid Sox fans who regularly cover the Sox?

As far as Cowley being yelled at by Sox brass & Sun-Times brass, and I'm not aware that that happened, if it did happen it's hardly the same as Sullivan being taken to task about his coverage by Cubbie brass and his own Cubune boss. To compare this supposed Cowley and Sox brass incident to the Sullivan vs. Cubbie & Cubune brass is, well moronic.

Now please, drop the masquerade, you are a Cubbie fan.
You're right. I've concealed it all this time. All those posts about the White Sox were for naught!

Now seriously, I was just throwing **** against the wall. You've got as much proof that Levine is a rabid Cub fan as I've got that Gonzales is a rabid Sox fan.

DrCrawdad
01-23-2009, 12:05 AM
You're right. I've concealed it all this time. All those posts about the White Sox were for naught!

Now seriously, I was just throwing **** against the wall. You've got as much proof that Levine is a rabid Cub fan as I've got that Gonzales is a rabid Sox fan.

What's your proof about Gonzales being a rabid Sox fan?

LeVineLine admits as much - a Cubbie fan from youth up, a writer for VineLine, a Cubbie ass kisser for years. LeVineLine did not cover a Sox road game until near the end of the '05 season. While on the other hand, he covered multiple Cubbie road trips, even one to Milwaukee while the Sox played here.

Do you honestly believe that LeVineLine's feelings (fandumb) for the Cubbies are on par with Gonzale's feelings (fandumb) for the Sox? Is Gonzales even a Sox fan?

Craig Grebeck
01-23-2009, 12:14 AM
What's your proof about Gonzales being a rabid Sox fan?

LeVineLine admits as much - a Cubbie fan from youth up, a writer for VineLine, a Cubbie ass kisser for years. LeVineLine did not cover a Sox road game until near the end of the '05 season. While on the other hand, he covered multiple Cubbie road trips, even one to Milwaukee while the Sox played here.

Do you honestly believe that LeVineLine's feelings (fandumb) for the Cubbies are on par with Gonzale's feelings (fandumb) for the Sox? Is Gonzales even a Sox fan?
I honestly don't know. Nor do I care. But, at the same time, I don't believe that Levine's supposed feelings for the Cubs make him any more likely to report something false. These guys report what they hear; they're far more interested in scooping stories than making things up for no real benefit.

I'm not so naive to believe that White Sox beat writers aren't as partial as Cub writers. It's illogical.

Also, once again, there were many writers other than Cub ones who broke stories about Peavy being close to the Cubs.

DrCrawdad
01-23-2009, 12:20 AM

Your number of posts here prove nothing, Cubbie fans talk about the Sox all the time. On BleedCubbieBlue there are over 15,000 posts about the Sox, this while at the same time they say they do not talk about the Sox!

You are a Cubbie fan. Your arguments reek of it.

This whole ombudsman, contrarian thing, the genesis of it is that you are a Cubbie fan.

Have fun at it, Cubbie fan!

:dtroll:

DrCrawdad
01-23-2009, 12:23 AM
I honestly don't know. Nor do I care. But, at the same time, I don't believe that Levine's supposed feelings for the Cubs make him any more likely to report something false. These guys report what they hear; they're far more interested in scooping stories than making things up for no real benefit.

I'm not so naive to believe that White Sox beat writers aren't as partial as Cub writers. It's illogical.

Also, once again, there were many writers other than Cub ones who broke stories about Peavy being close to the Cubs.

So, you made a claim of which you don't believe and you knew of nothing to support it? And if you think LeVineLine's love for the Cubbies does not affect his reports, you're delusional. That delusion goes along with being a ...

Cubbie fan :dtroll:

TommyJohn
01-23-2009, 08:07 AM
Also point of clarification when I said Cub "beat writers." Paul Sullivan is not a Cubs fan...far from it in fact.

Lip

I once read an article in the Heckler (I was googling Paul Sullivan) in which Sullivan stated that he is a Cub fan. If I find it, I'll post the link. It was Sullivan talking about his days working as an assistant for Mike Royko.

http://www.sportznutz.com/columns/fan_speaks_out/archives/paul_sullivan_interview.htm

EDIT: Here it is.

TH: Was he a tough boss to work for?
PS: He was a very tough boss to work for. He was like a Bobby Knight type where he would be in your face and screaming, and you couldn’t stand the guy while you were working for him some days, but he also had a mellow side. He was hilarious, and obviously a big Cub’s fan as everybody knows, so we had that in common. I think that’s probably why he sent me to do sports, because we always talked about the Cubs so much.

Sullivan is lying to somebody, Lip.

Craig Grebeck
01-23-2009, 08:27 AM
Your number of posts here prove nothing, Cubbie fans talk about the Sox all the time. On BleedCubbieBlue there are over 15,000 posts about the Sox, this while at the same time they say they do not talk about the Sox!

You are a Cubbie fan. Your arguments reek of it.

This whole ombudsman, contrarian thing, the genesis of it is that you are a Cubbie fan.

Have fun at it, Cubbie fan!

:dtroll:
The fact that you hang out over at BCB makes me sad for you. Stop wasting your time counting posts and just follow your favorite team. You're embarrassing.

So, you made a claim of which you don't believe and you knew of nothing to support it? And if you think LeVineLine's love for the Cubbies does not affect his reports, you're delusional. That delusion goes along with being a ...

Cubbie fan :dtroll:
Riddle me this: how come other beat reporters around the country reported the Peavy deal as being close/discussed? Are they Cub fans too?

BadBobbyJenks
01-23-2009, 08:49 PM
Sox fans calling each other traitors, when does spring training start?

guillensdisciple
01-23-2009, 09:05 PM
Sox fans calling each other traitors, when does spring training start?

My sentiments exactly.

central44
01-23-2009, 10:14 PM
Sox fans and Cubs fans hate each other, or at least the other team. That's just how it is. The only reason Sox fans have the label of being "Cubsessed" is because there are three times as many Cub fans as us, and they refuse to acknowledge that they can stoop to that level.

That said, why does the Chicago media refuse to acknowledge that the Peavy deal is all but dead? Seriously. The Padres are getting a new owner--no more financial crisis for them, means Peavy probably won't go to the Cubs. That said, the Brian Roberts/Michael Young couldn't be shot down fast enough.

...Damnit, I can tell that i'm Cubsessed at least. I gotta get myself together. If only the Sox were doing stuff worth talking about :mad:

DrCrawdad
01-23-2009, 11:28 PM
The fact that you hang out over at BCB makes me sad for you. Stop wasting your time counting posts and just follow your favorite team. You're embarrassing.

Riddle me this: how come other beat reporters around the country reported the Peavy deal as being close/discussed? Are they Cub fans too?

Count me as someone who doesn't care about the Peavy deal one way or another.

Who's counting? It's a simple search and oh, BTW, what's your user name at BCB?

Gonzales and LeVineLine are the same to you, BS! You state **** and have absolutely nothing to back it up. Then run away from your remarks when pressed for proof. And I stand by what I've said about you, these last digs only further confirm it.

PS bear in mind too that you brought me into this discussion, singled me out with a gratuitous drive-by poke in the eye.

thedudeabides
01-24-2009, 12:00 AM

Craig Grebeck, I'm not calling you a Cubs fan or anything(like others), but Lip does talk to a lot of reporters. He knows his ****. We might not always agree with him, but he does his research and he knows what talking about.

InKennyWeTrust
01-24-2009, 12:29 AM
Getting back on topic, it appears that Pie is penciled in as the starting left fielder, with Luke Scott moving to DH, and Aubrey Huff taking over first base.

Konerko05
01-24-2009, 01:14 AM
Getting back on topic, it appears that Pie is penciled in as the starting left fielder, with Luke Scott moving to DH, and Aubrey Huff taking over first base.

That would be an awful idea. Pie will probably never hit at the major league level, but he can play above average defense. Pie in LF is a complete waste of his one skill. Not to mention, he would easily be the worst offensive LF in baseball. Even the Orioles aren't this stupid.

russ99
01-27-2009, 03:14 PM
That would be an awful idea. Pie will probably never hit at the major league level, but he can play above average defense. Pie in LF is a complete waste of his one skill. Not to mention, he would easily be the worst offensive LF in baseball. Even the Orioles aren't this stupid.

Well, they have Markakis and Mora to fit into the OF, 3B and 1B picture as well. So I don't think it would be a totally bad idea. And he's shown he has the tools, but he just needs a chance to play without a guy like Piniella shuttling him back and forth to AAA all the time.

IMO he may hit at a decent level in the majors. Not likely an all-star, but a passable option as a speed/defense guy even in LF, especially for a team with an established lead-off guy and power options in other places.

Konerko05
01-27-2009, 08:35 PM
Well, they have Markakis and Mora to fit into the OF, 3B and 1B picture as well. So I don't think it would be a totally bad idea. And he's shown he has the tools, but he just needs a chance to play without a guy like Piniella shuttling him back and forth to AAA all the time.

IMO he may hit at a decent level in the majors. Not likely an all-star, but a passable option as a speed/defense guy even in LF, especially for a team with an established lead-off guy and power options in other places.

I disagree. Pie has some value as a very good defensive CF. Moving him to LF leaves leaves him with no value at all. It would be a waste of his defense. You are putting a defensive player at an offensive position. Pie will come no where close to producing a respectable offensive output for a left fielder.

Craig Grebeck
01-27-2009, 08:52 PM
I disagree. Pie has some value as a very good defensive CF. Moving him to LF leaves leaves him with no value at all. It would be a waste of his defense. You are putting a defensive player at an offensive position. Pie will come no where close to producing a respectable offensive output for a left fielder.
While I agree with the premise of your post, to a degree, I think they want to put him in LF in order to maximize their defense and take advantage of the fact that they probably won't contend this season. Giving Pie at bats (even in LF) will help his development.