PDA

View Full Version : Leadoff Hitter

HBaines03
01-16-2009, 10:45 AM
As of today, who would you want for your leadoff hitter? Would you want Chris Getz, Brent Lillibridge or Jerry Owens? Personally I would like to see Getz and put Brian Anderson in CF for his defense. I don't feel like Owens will take many walks and has not shown me he can lay down the bunt and utilize his speed to get on, JMO. Getz, to me, seems more of a smart baseball player willing to do what is necessary and not worry about stats. I don't think Lillibridge will win the job but I could be wrong.

p.s. - I liked the B. Colon signing. The Sox always seem to be able to make these types of moves work well.......

kittle42
01-16-2009, 10:48 AM
I think it is very difficult to choose among a guy we have seen nothing of, a guy we have seen very, very little of, and a guy who we know sucks majorly.

spawn
01-16-2009, 10:49 AM
As of today, who would you want for your leadoff hitter? Would you want Chris Getz, Brent Lillibridge or Jerry Owens? Personally I would like to see Getz and put Brian Anderson in CF for his defense. I don't feel like Owens will take many walks and has not shown me he can lay down the bunt and utilize his speed to get on, JMO. Getz, to me, seems more of a smart baseball player willing to do what is necessary and not worry about stats. I don't think Lillibridge will win the job but I could be wrong.

p.s. - I liked the B. Colon signing. The Sox always seem to be able to make these types of moves work well.......
How many times is this going to be asked???

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=108759

Jim Thome is the perfect leadoff man.

NLaloosh
01-16-2009, 11:03 AM

Agree with everything you said except I believe in Lillibridge. I don't know what will happen but I think that he could be a very good player and possibly a leadoff hitter.

I think I would be fine with a Getz/Lillibridge leadoff with Anderson/Owens in the 9 spot.

kittle42
01-16-2009, 11:18 AM
Agree with everything you said except I believe in Lillibridge. I don't know what will happen but I think that he could be a very good player and possibly a leadoff hitter.

On the basis of what? This is not an attack on you, but just questioining these types of statements that have been way too often tossed around here this offseason. If you've seen Lillibridge play more than a game or two, I apologize. But there are a lot of folks making a lot of blanket statements about rookies/minor league guys they have more likely than not seen about zero of.

spawn
01-16-2009, 11:21 AM
On the basis of what? This is not an attack on you, but just questioining these types of statements that have been way too often tossed around here this offseason. If you've seen Lillibridge play more than a game or two, I apologize. But there are a lot of folks making a lot of blanket statements about rookies/minor league guys they have more likely than not seen about zero of.
Word.

Mr.1Dog
01-16-2009, 11:24 AM
Herm Schnieder

Nellie_Fox
01-16-2009, 11:34 AM
Luis Aparicio.

Domeshot17
01-16-2009, 11:37 AM
To me it is Getz (although I think he will eventually be a better number 2 hitter).

I admit, I know little about Lilllibridge, but a buddy of mine follows the braves system to a T (kind of like our Rdivaldi). When we were talking about the trade he said Flowers could something special,35-40 homers a year special. Lillibridge he had soured a ton on, said hes a super sub at best, and compared him to Pablo Ozuna. You like him when hes coming off the bench, you hate him when he is starting.

Take it for what its worth, but over the years my buddy has been pretty accurate on the Braves front, so I trust him.

However, none of that matters. It will be Owens come hell or high water, Kenny and Ozzie love him, which is all that matters sometimes.

WhiteSox5187
01-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Luis Aparicio.

His OPS is awful. He sucks.

areilly
01-16-2009, 12:39 PM
His OPS is awful. He sucks.

Are you kidding? Luis Apiricio is just the kind of "under the radar" move KW is famous for. He'll probably catch "lightning in a bottle" and then "grind" his way to "winning the World Series." You just know the CUBune and CUB-Times and CUBCago Reader will bash us for it too, just like the CUBion and Crain's Chicago CUBness. In KW we trust!

NLaloosh
01-16-2009, 01:08 PM

I'm not offended. I said that I think that he could be a very good player and a leadoff hitter. What do I base that on ? The same thing that I base my evaluations of Getz and other young players on. Yes, I've seen him play a bit not much. I've read many reports on him over the last 3 seasons and he seems to me like a better glove than Getz, a much better base stealer than Getz with a little more power but Getz makes better contact and will probably hit for a little higher average. I like having the two and hope that they both get to play a lot this season.

oeo
01-16-2009, 01:31 PM
I admit, I know little about Lilllibridge, but a buddy of mine follows the braves system to a T (kind of like our Rdivaldi). When we were talking about the trade he said Flowers could something special,35-40 homers a year special. Lillibridge he had soured a ton on, said hes a super sub at best, and compared him to Pablo Ozuna. You like him when hes coming off the bench, you hate him when he is starting.

Take it for what its worth, but over the years my buddy has been pretty accurate on the Braves front, so I trust him.

Not saying your friend is wrong, but Lillibridge spent very little time in the Braves organization. He has only 80 major league ABs and they were not very good, so I can see how he would be a little discouraged. That said, isn't 25 a little young to be calling him a super sub and comparing him to Pablo Ozuna?

I'm not offended. I said that I think that he could be a very good player and a leadoff hitter. What do I base that on ? The same thing that I base my evaluations of Getz and other young players on. Yes, I've seen him play a bit not much. I've read many reports on him over the last 3 seasons and he seems to me like a better glove than Getz, a much better base stealer than Getz with a little more power but Getz makes better contact and will probably hit for a little higher average. I like having the two and hope that they both get to play a lot this season.

Getz also has extremely better plate discipline.

kittle42
01-16-2009, 01:35 PM

I think if one of them becomes a decent major leaguer, that's a good result.

champagne030
01-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Not saying your friend is wrong, but Lillibridge spent very little time in the Braves organization. He has only 80 major league ABs and they were not very good, so I can see how he would be a little discouraged. That said, isn't 25 a little young to be calling him a super sub and comparing him to Pablo Ozuna?

Brian Anderson was under 25 when he was deemed a piece of ****. :scratch:

Domeshot17
01-16-2009, 01:43 PM

Getz also has extremely better plate discipline.

I don't disagree at all. I am just passing along info I have been told, Like I said, I had not seen much at all of him. I am also usually not a big fan of My friend says this or I overheard this, but this guy I trust a lot. I mean I guess honestly, if Flowers works out and Lillibridge floors out at Ozuna, we still did well for Vazquez

oeo
01-16-2009, 01:44 PM

80 ABs, compared about about 350...quite a difference.

Anderson still hasn't done nothing to prove me wrong. :shrug:

But don't get me wrong, I'm not very excited about Lillibridge, anyway. He's a high K, speed guy, with little discipline. Between Getz and Lillibridge, I think Getz is and will continue to be the better player.

whitesox901
01-16-2009, 01:44 PM
Jim Thome is the perfect leadoff man.

I've always wanted Jim to lead-off just once

kittle42
01-16-2009, 02:00 PM

Is the new standard now "At least 25 years old and at least 1,000 major league at-bats?" :D:

sullythered
01-16-2009, 02:03 PM
Rickey Henderson.

champagne030
01-16-2009, 04:18 PM
80 ABs, compared about about 350...quite a difference.

Anderson still hasn't done nothing to prove me wrong. :shrug:

But don't get me wrong, I'm not very excited about Lillibridge, anyway. He's a high K, speed guy, with little discipline. Between Getz and Lillibridge, I think Getz is and will continue to be the better player.

We agree for once. :hug:

Anderson and Lillibridge might always suck at the curveball and play above average defense, but we don't know because they haven't been given a complete chance to prove one way or another.

Craig Grebeck
01-16-2009, 04:22 PM
Lillibridge has declined considerably since A+. At this point, he looks like one of those guys skilled enough to hit pitching fresh out of college and high school, but not skilled enough to hit anything at AA or above.

Eddo144
01-16-2009, 04:29 PM
I've always wanted Jim to lead-off just once
That would be really cool.

In all honesty, why do we have to force an inferior hitter like Owens, Getz, or Lillebridge to lead off. Why not just pick one of our good hitters and give him all the extra at bats? Ramireiz doesn't have enough plate discipline, really, but he'd be better than one of that trio.

Now, if I had to choose one of those three, I'd go with Getz. He's at least showed me the most.

russ99
01-16-2009, 04:43 PM
That would be really cool.

In all honesty, why do we have to force an inferior hitter like Owens, Getz, or Lillebridge to lead off. Why not just pick one of our good hitters and give him all the extra at bats? Ramireiz doesn't have enough plate discipline, really, but he'd be better than one of that trio.

Now, if I had to choose one of those three, I'd go with Getz. He's at least showed me the most.

In his 12 MLB at-bats??

Borchard looked good in his first call-up too...

I'd hope we have someone a bit more experienced leading off. If not, let's see what Owens can do, since he does have the speed and baserunning skills to make a difference if he can consistently get on base. If he can't cut it after a few weeks, try another player.

Lip Man 1
01-16-2009, 06:28 PM
HB:

To answer your original question...none of the above you listed.

How about we get a "real" major league player for leadoff, not someone who tried to play one on TV?

Lip

Tragg
01-16-2009, 06:38 PM
Missle or Getz.

If Guillen insists on playing Owens, he should bat 9th.

Craig Grebeck
01-16-2009, 06:41 PM
HB:

How about we get a "real" major league player for leadoff, not someone who tried to play one on TV?

Lip
I personally have never even heard of young players. I don't even know why they keep a minor league team, look at all those veterans on the market! Player development is for suckers!

Daver
01-16-2009, 06:43 PM
Missle or Getz.

If Guillen insists on playing Owens, he should bat 9th.

Why play him at all then?

Aside from the comedy gold that is watching him try to play center field.

HBaines03
01-17-2009, 09:58 AM
I agree with the unhappiness of the candidates at hand and I only posed the question because it seems more and more likely that we will not look to acquire anyone from outside but utilize one of these from within. I would rather not use Alexei at leadoff so we can utilize his power and clutch hitting in a more appropriate spot. My choice would be Getz because of his plate discipline which also allows us to utilize better defense in CF. The only advantage I see of Owens over BA is his speed but if he isn't getting on, his speed doesn't help him or the team. BA does not need to hit the ball to add something to the team with his defense and he only has to produce better numbers than what we were getting from Uribe the last 3 years. JMO.........

Bucky F. Dent
01-17-2009, 02:12 PM
HB:

Lip

Paging Mr. Lemon. Paging Mr. Chester Earl Lemon. Please pick up a red courtesy phone.

pearso66
01-17-2009, 02:49 PM
HB:

Lip

I may not be a real leadoff hitter, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Tragg
01-17-2009, 05:21 PM
Why play him at all then?

Aside from the comedy gold that is watching him try to play center field.
As someone who thinks he shouldn't be on the 40 man, I have no idea.

All I know is that the worst hitter on the team should bat last...plus, it's only 1 spot away from leadoff, and people seem to think we need basestealers leading off, so it takes care of that (sort of).

munchman33
01-17-2009, 05:40 PM
I heard Ricky Henderson was still looking for work.

Domeshot17
01-17-2009, 06:13 PM
I would not hit TCM lead off at all. We laughed at how dumb the cubs were for leading off Soriano, we would essentially be doing the same thing.