PDA

View Full Version : What's going to happen with Frank?

chisox123
01-16-2009, 01:10 AM
Is the Big Hurt going to continue to play, I can't think of any team that would want a forty year old player who can't run, and was out for most of last year. While he showed some promise on the A's in 2006 and did okay in Toronto in 2007, there obviously is very little demand for him. I say the Sox sign him to a one day contract and he announces his retirement so he can retire with the team that he is known for. And there can't be any doubts that he's not a first ballot Hall of Famer.

Nellie_Fox
01-16-2009, 01:17 AM
Is the Big Hurt going to continue to play, I can't think of any team that would want a forty year old player who can't run, and was out for most of last year. While he showed some promise on the A's in 2006 and did okay in Toronto in 2007, there obviously is very little demand for him. I say the Sox sign him to a one day contract and he announces his retirement so he can retire with the team that he is known for. And there can't be any doubts that he's not a first ballot Hall of Famer.I think there can be a lot of doubt that he's not a first-ballot HOFer (I think you worded it exactly the opposite of what you meant.)

Have you seen or heard anything that would lead you to believe that KW has changed his opinion of Frank, and would be willing to do such a thing? I haven't.

TDog
01-16-2009, 01:48 AM
Baseball doesn't do one-day contracts. I don't know if there is a union thing that prevents it, but I have never seen it happen. Players have been signed to play in September when the rosters are expanded and may only appear in one or two games while being paid for the remainder of the season. Minnie Minoso signed in mid-September in 1976, appeared in three games and was released at season's end. In 1980, he was signed on October 3 (my mother's birthday) and pinch hit on October 4 and 5 before being released on October 6, after the regular season.

My guess is that if you sign a player, you have to sign him at least through the season for at least the minimum. If you sign him with a couple of weeks or days left in the season, the minimum would be prorated.

I am guessing Frank Thomas won't sign with anyone this summer. It's possible that he will be available late in September. I don't see it as likely that the Sox would sign him.

cbrownson13
01-16-2009, 07:55 AM
Baseball doesn't do one-day contracts. I don't know if there is a union thing that prevents it, but I have never seen it happen. Players have been signed to play in September when the rosters are expanded and may only appear in one or two games while being paid for the remainder of the season. Minnie Minoso signed in mid-September in 1976, appeared in three games and was released at season's end. In 1980, he was signed on October 3 (my mother's birthday) and pinch hit on October 4 and 5 before being released on October 6, after the regular season.

My guess is that if you sign a player, you have to sign him at least through the season for at least the minimum. If you sign him with a couple of weeks or days left in the season, the minimum would be prorated.

I am guessing Frank Thomas won't sign with anyone this summer. It's possible that he will be available late in September. I don't see it as likely that the Sox would sign him.

I believe J.T. Snow did it with the Giants a couple years back.

DumpJerry
01-16-2009, 07:55 AM
Wow. It's been, what, 50 hours since someone posted the one-day contract thing for Frank?

A lot of free agents are still unsigned. If he can prove to someone he is healthy he might yet get a contract.

jamokes
01-16-2009, 10:15 AM
Frank's better days are in the rear view mirror, teams are going young nowadays.

InKennyWeTrust
01-16-2009, 12:11 PM
When the day comes to hang em up, he'll sign a minor league contract, and retire with the White Sox, just like how everyone else does it.

Nellie_Fox
01-16-2009, 12:13 PM
When the day comes to hang em up, he'll sign a minor league contract, and retire with the White Sox, just like how everyone else does it.Once again, given the unresolved (as far as I can tell) animosity between Frank and Kenny, where do get this idea? I suppose Reinsdorf might step in, but I just don't see it.

fusillirob1983
01-16-2009, 01:42 PM
Once again, given the unresolved (as far as I can tell) animosity between Frank and Kenny, where do get this idea? I suppose Reinsdorf might step in, but I just don't see it.

I interpreted it as the poster was actually making fun the fact that the Sox sign a lot of the no longer useful or older players to minor league contracts hoping they might do something useful (Jeremy Giambi a few years ago, Loaiza last year, Tim Redding a couple years ago who actually had a bounce-back year the following season with the Nationals), etc.

InKennyWeTrust
01-17-2009, 11:39 PM
Actually, I was being serious. Quite often I'll see a player sign a minor league contract with their best known team, and instantly retire, just to say they "retired as a (team name)". I think J.T. Snow did this most recently with the Giants.

Despite Frank's issues with management, I see no reason for this to not happen when that day comes.

Although, looking at my exact wording, sadly, you're right.

TornLabrum
01-17-2009, 11:58 PM
According to a dream I had a few weeks ago, Frank held a news conference and announced, "I want to finish my career with the Montreal Legumes."

I woke up immediately after that announcement.

central44
01-18-2009, 12:11 AM
Once again, given the unresolved (as far as I can tell) animosity between Frank and Kenny, where do get this idea? I suppose Reinsdorf might step in, but I just don't see it.

It would be a great PR move for the Sox, a team that has taken strides to celebrate it's history. It's something they absolutley should do regardless of differences between KW and Frank, because the fans would appreciate it.

I could definitley see it happening, but at the same time wouldn't be suprised if it didn't.

anewman35
01-18-2009, 12:54 AM
Actually, I was being serious. Quite often I'll see a player sign a minor league contract with their best known team, and instantly retire, just to say they "retired as a (team name)". I think J.T. Snow did this most recently with the Giants.

This seems to happen fairly often in other sports, but I think it's pretty rare in baseball. I can't recall remembering it happening more than a few times. In any case, I think it's kinda silly, and I kinda hope the Sox never start wasting time doing that sort of thing.

SOX ADDICT '73
01-18-2009, 01:52 AM
According to a dream I had a few weeks ago, Frank held a news conference and announced, "I want to finish my career with the Montreal Legumes."

I woke up immediately after that announcement.
Do you think he'd go into the HOF wearing a Legumes hat?

Oh yeah, the players don't get to decide anymore. *whew*

TornLabrum
01-18-2009, 09:08 AM
Do you think he'd go into the HOF wearing a Legumes hat?

Oh yeah, the players don't get to decide anymore. *whew*

My first thought after I woke up wasn't about which hat he'd wear in the HOF. It was, "Does that mean he'll be playing for peanuts?" Okay, I thought of that a few hours after I woke up. The one thing that bugs me is how the heck my unconscious mind ever came up with that as a team name.

Frontman
01-18-2009, 09:26 AM

Jerry probably will over-ride that and push it through. Kenny works for Jerry; and for a one-day/one buck deal; I don't think Kenny needs to get involved. Plus, it would be horrid PR for it to come out that Kenny didn't allow it to happen.

I look at it as a glass half-full situation. Either Frank will get a contract and play this season, or the 5 year countdown to Cooperstown begins. Either way, good for Frank!

Nellie_Fox
01-19-2009, 02:20 AM
Jerry probably will over-ride that and push it through. Kenny works for Jerry; and for a one-day/one buck deal; I don't think Kenny needs to get involved.I don't know if they're correct, but an awful lot of posters in this thread have said MLB doesn't allow one-day contracts.

Frontman
01-19-2009, 09:10 AM
I don't know if they're correct, but an awful lot of posters in this thread have said MLB doesn't allow one-day contracts.

You mean like the MLB doesn't allow players to bat one time during a game, then retire after reaching first so they can retire with a certain batting average?

No, it actually does happen. Billy Crystal last year played for the Yankees on a one day contract in Spring Training. Jeff Conine signed a one day deal with the Marlins to retire as a Marlin. JT Snow also did it with the Giants.

Now, I did some searching and did not see any news stories that MLB doesn't allow it since last season; but it would be a poor PR flub to dis-allow it now. No harm is brought about having these players sign a one-day deal; why mess with it.

InKennyWeTrust
01-19-2009, 11:07 AM
It's not a one-day contract if you sign then officially retire. :cool:

NLaloosh
01-19-2009, 11:10 AM
Special Assistant to Kenny Williams.

Paulwny
01-19-2009, 11:57 AM
I believe that last year the Marlins signed Jeff Conine to a 1 day contract before opening day.

I found a Link
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3296468

Frontman
01-19-2009, 04:13 PM
I believe that last year the Marlins signed Jeff Conine to a 1 day contract before opening day.

I found a Link
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3296468

I do believe I mentioned Conine; but thank you for doing some fact checking as well. Granted, its a fact, so some may dismiss it out of hand! :tongue: