PDA

View Full Version : Andruw Jones only 400k?

getonbckthr
01-15-2009, 10:34 PM
I know all signs appear he is washed up. However for a only 400K I think it would be worth it to bring him in. Who knows we might catch lightning in a bottle with a guy with talent just not alot of passion at the moment. Maybe the realization that his career is pretty much on the line he might show up determined to ressurect it.

officerron
01-15-2009, 10:36 PM
They did show him taking swings at some facility a few days ago, and it looked like he trimmed down quite a bit...

LoveYourSuit
01-15-2009, 10:37 PM
Do it!

TheOldRoman
01-15-2009, 10:39 PM
Walk will fix 'em!

Seriously though, for the league minimum, it won't hurt one bit. Bring him in.

SOXfnNlansing
01-15-2009, 10:39 PM
I know that $400K is like us going to the video store and renting something we've never heard of, but what if we get Jones and he's good. Do you think he'd have a bad attitude and sulk for being underpaid? He's not even a good fielder anymore. I don't pretend to know MLB players, because I'm just a construction worker from Oak Lawn. If he were the type that was a good guy who wouldn't be a club house distraction, then I'd be up for renting the movie.

getonbckthr
01-15-2009, 10:40 PM
I know that $400K is like us going to the video store and renting something we've never heard of, but what if we get Jones and he's good. Do you think he'd have a bad attitude and sulk for being underpaid? He's not even a good fielder anymore. I don't pretend to know MLB players, because I'm just a construction worker from Oak Lawn. If he were the type that was a good guy who wouldn't be a club house distraction, then I'd be up for renting the movie.
He is still getting 21 million from the Dodgers.

TheOldRoman
01-15-2009, 10:41 PM
I know that $400K is like us going to the video store and renting something we've never heard of, but what if we get Jones and he's good. Do you think he'd have a bad attitude and sulk for being underpaid? He's not even a good fielder anymore. I don't pretend to know MLB players, because I'm just a construction worker from Oak Lawn. If he were the type that was a good guy who wouldn't be a club house distraction, then I'd be up for renting the movie.He is getting paid $16 million for the 2009 season from the Dodgers (although some is deferred). When you cut a player, you still have to pay his contract. Whoever signs him will pay him the league minimum, and then the Dodgers will pay him $16 mil minus what that team pays.

SOXfnNlansing
01-15-2009, 10:44 PM
Well with that knowledge, sign him up!

Sargeant79
01-15-2009, 10:53 PM
Almost any team would give him a shot for the league minimum. In that price range, he'll have his choice of teams. I don't think the Sox are very high on his list...I'll be surprise if he doesn't wind up in Atlanta.

getonbckthr
01-15-2009, 10:55 PM
Almost any team would give him a shot for the league minimum. In that price range, he'll have his choice of teams. I don't think the Sox are very high on his list...I'll be surprise if he doesn't wind up in Atlanta.
From what I read Atlanta is very relunctant to bring him back. Not to mention he can come in here as the projected starter.

Noneck
01-15-2009, 11:43 PM
They started with the "well ya never know" Colon might as well follow suit with Jones.

DaveFeelsRight
01-15-2009, 11:59 PM
say we sign jones...where would he bat?

sunofgold
01-16-2009, 12:12 AM
The Dodgers chose to eat his salary rather than even let him try to show what he had left. To them, their team was better without him. Yikes. Part of this must be his attitude and motivation. And they did try to trade him and nobody wanted him.

getonbckthr
01-16-2009, 05:14 AM
say we sign jones...where would he bat?
IF we were to sign him slotting him at CF probably 7th or 8th. You figure AJ, Quentin, Dye, Thome, Konerko are your 2-6. At this point ALexei may be your best leadoff option similar to Soriano on the Northside.
The Dodgers chose to eat his salary rather than even let him try to show what he had left. To them, their team was better without him. Yikes. Part of this must be his attitude and motivation. And they did try to trade him and nobody wanted him.
Would give up anything or pick up half the contract? I wouldn't 400K is different that players or 8 million.

getonbckthr
01-16-2009, 05:14 AM
I also wonder what the relationship with Ozzie is going back to when they were in Atlanta together.

DumpJerry
01-16-2009, 07:59 AM
Would give up anything or pick up half the contract? I wouldn't 400K is different that players or 8 million.
:scratch: What are you sayin'?

doublem23
01-16-2009, 08:24 AM

There aren't many teams he'll run into less competition in CF. He's basically almost guaranteed to be the starter by default.

dakuda
01-16-2009, 09:06 AM

Would you trade for a player that you knew was going to be let go?

His situation was something less of a secret for the past few weeks. Once his contract was renegotiated, everyone knew it was a matter of time before he would be released. I can't imagine anyone would offer a player for someone they can get by sacrificing nothing.

doublem23
01-16-2009, 09:18 AM

There's a big difference between trading for Andruw Jones and that ridiculous contract he signed with LA or picking up Andruw Jones for the league minimum.

Sargeant79
01-16-2009, 09:21 AM
There aren't many teams he'll run into less competition in CF. He's basically almost guaranteed to be the starter by default.

Maybe, but if we're going to go with a someone in CF who hits like crap, I'd rather see Brian Anderson get the job most games. At least he'll play above average to exceptional defense for you. And I'm in the camp that thinks BA might actually put in a respectable showing at the plate if he gets another shot at the job.

01-16-2009, 09:23 AM
He has been on KW radar for a long time...I wouldn't be surprised if we make a push.

Sargeant79
01-16-2009, 09:25 AM
There's a big difference between trading for Andruw Jones and that ridiculous contract he signed with LA or picking up Andruw Jones for the league minimum.

That's true as well. I guess you could look at it like we do with the pitching staff...too much competition isn't a bad thing. I would just want him to earn the job, not have it handed to him just because of who he is. And the word out there about his attitude and conditioning coupled with his craptacular season last year (albeit playing with an injury a lot of the time) leads me to guess that he won't be deserving of the job. The Dodgers were willing to eat a ridiculous amount of money just to be rid of him...that tells you something right there.

doublem23
01-16-2009, 09:26 AM
Maybe, but if we're going to go with a someone in CF who hits like crap, I'd rather see Brian Anderson get the job most games. At least he'll play above average to exceptional defense for you. And I'm in the camp that thinks BA might actually put in a respectable showing at the plate if he gets another shot at the job.

Fair point, but I don't think it's the worst idea in the world to open the position up to some competition.

This all hinges, of course, on Jones only signing for $400K. What's really the harm in bringing him in and seeing what he can do? I wouldn't get into a multimillion dollar bidding war for him, but if you get him for scraps, it's worth a try.

guillensdisciple
01-16-2009, 09:28 AM
If any team can get him for 400k, it won't be the Sox. Someone already said this, I just don't want to go back an quote it.
If anything, an incentive deal should be something that the White Sox should consider, not just the league minimum.

Sargeant79
01-16-2009, 09:31 AM
Fair point, but I don't think it's the worst idea in the world to open the position up to some competition.

This all hinges, of course, on Jones only signing for $400K. What's really the harm in bringing him in and seeing what he can do? I wouldn't get into a multimillion dollar bidding war for him, but if you get him for scraps, it's worth a try.

I agree; I'm all in favor of competition. My concern (and I'm not trying to bash Ozzie here), is that Jones would be awarded more playing time than he deserves based on what he's done before and who he is rather than what he is capable of contributing this year.

EDIT: You can, of course, add in the Scott Boras factor as well, which means we are highly unlikely to be the ones initiating any discussion.

Thome25
01-16-2009, 09:33 AM
I could be wrong but, I think Boras is his agent. Therefore, NOT. GONNA. HAPPEN>PERIOD.

It doesn't matter if the Boras client is AROD and makes 29mil per year or if it's a guy making the league minimum at 400K per year. We do not sign Boras clients big or small. (and by "we' I mean the Chicago White Sox Baseball Club inc.)

It's just the way it is and how it will be as long as KW is GM and JR is owner.

getonbckthr
01-16-2009, 10:10 AM
:scratch: What are you sayin'?
Ya that was a cluster**** of typing there.:smile:
Would you trade for a player that you knew was going to be let go?

Dakuda said what I attempted.

jabrch
01-16-2009, 10:11 AM
From what I read, he is likely to go back to Atlanta and compete for a job there.

That said, for 400K, I'd surely take a shot a him.

turners56
01-16-2009, 11:34 AM
At 400K, sure. If he gets back in shape, he can still be productive.

NoNeckEra
01-16-2009, 11:35 AM
If given the choice between BA and Jones, I'll take the guy who's done it before offensively (Jones). BA has had his chance. This would be the first time the expectations for Jones would be low and the pressure would be off him (likely batting 7th).

Sargeant79
01-16-2009, 11:39 AM
If given the choice between BA and Jones, I'll take the guy who's done it before offensively (Jones). BA has had his chance. This would be the first time the expectations for Jones would be low and the pressure would be off him (likely batting 7th).

With the hope of avoiding turning this into another Brian Anderson thread, I'll only say I disagree, if for no other reason than the defense.

kobo
01-16-2009, 11:50 AM
Why would the Sox bring him in? They want to get younger and more athletic. Jones is neither of those. I don't want this team to keep signing washed up veterans on the cheap hoping to catch lightning in a bottle.

NoNeckEra
01-16-2009, 12:15 PM
Why would the Sox bring him in? They want to get younger and more athletic. Jones is neither of those. I don't want this team to keep signing washed up veterans on the cheap hoping to catch lightning in a bottle.
If what you say was true then why bring in Colon?
Deal with it. Like it or not, money is a huge issue.
Sometimes you have to get lucky to win, and, unfortunately, that's where we're at.

DaveFeelsRight
01-16-2009, 12:24 PM
Why would the Sox bring him in? They want to get younger and more athletic. Jones is neither of those. I don't want this team to keep signing washed up veterans on the cheap hoping to catch lightning in a bottle.hes only 31

thomas35forever
01-16-2009, 01:38 PM
We are trying to get younger and more athletic. Jerry Owens would provide both youth and speed in centerfield. I doubt Jones wants to spend most of his time on the bench. I wouldn't mind taking a chance on him, but don't get your hopes up if we do.

tstrike2000
01-16-2009, 01:45 PM
If it means Jerry Owens doesn't see a day in CF for the Sox in '09, go for it!

Heffalump
01-16-2009, 02:43 PM
We are trying to get younger and more athletic. Jerry Owens would provide both youth and speed in centerfield. I doubt Jones wants to spend most of his time on the bench. I wouldn't mind taking a chance on him, but don't get your hopes up if we do.

Sorry, Jerry Owens is only a few years younger the Jones.

Sorry again, Owens might be fast, but he is, at best, a mediocre centerfielder. Even a fat Andrew Jones is a far superior outfielder than Owens.

If we could get Jones for cheap, than why not? Yes, is is more of KW garbage picking, but REALLY, isn't that his forte?

REALITY: The Sox are not going to sign and/or trade for a huge salary.

So why ot do some garbage picking rather than stick with the status quo? It is a no lose proposition: If they pan out, we get a deal. If they are duds, we don't lose more than a few bucks (in MLB terms).

mcp5185
01-16-2009, 03:00 PM
If any team can get him for 400k, it won't be the Sox. Someone already said this, I just don't want to go back an quote it.
If anything, an incentive deal should be something that the White Sox should consider, not just the league minimum.

The Dodgers are on the hook for the 21 million Andruw Jones is owed. No MLB team would be dumb enough to pay Jones anymore than the veteran minimum, especially with the way he played in 2008.

I know the White Sox do not like to negotiate with Scott Boras, but he has no leverage. Aside from the Braves and maybe the Sox, who else would even want to sign Jones?

Moses_Scurry
01-16-2009, 03:11 PM
If I understand correctly, any amount a new team pays him will be subtracted from the amount that the Dodgers still owe him. In other words, he cannot receive money from a new team on top of the Dodger money unless the new team offers more than 22 million for the next 3 years or whatever the actual amount is.

Since no team in their right mind will offer that much, his decision on where to play will be 100% based on who he wants to play for. It's one of those rare instances where money will play absolutely no part in the decision. Let's say the Sox offer him 400k for the next 3 years. Even if the Nationals offered him 6 million a year for the next 3 years, he won't be any better off financially than with the Sox offer. It will be a decision between his desire to play for the Nats or the Sox.

EndemicSox
01-16-2009, 05:10 PM
Stick a fork in him, because his skills are not even close to what they once were. He is done...

sunofgold
01-16-2009, 08:25 PM
What if....

Andruw Jones signs on with a team and plays the whole season with them. Then, what would happen if Jones' new team makes the playoff and so do the Dodgers.

Would Jones then be paid playoff shares from the Dodgers and his new team? The Dodgers released him, but are they still obligated to pay him a playoff share (if they make playoffs)

WHILEPITCH
01-16-2009, 09:41 PM
This would turn Alexei into our leadoff guy. I dont know if I like that.

EDIT: well i guess Getz but honestly does his OBP touch Alexei's this year? Even if Alexei's doesnt project to be that high.

jabrch
01-16-2009, 09:53 PM
What if....

Andruw Jones signs on with a team and plays the whole season with them. Then, what would happen if Jones' new team makes the playoff and so do the Dodgers.

Would Jones then be paid playoff shares from the Dodgers and his new team? The Dodgers released him, but are they still obligated to pay him a playoff share (if they make playoffs)

No

CWSpalehoseCWS
01-16-2009, 10:51 PM
I wouldn't mind signing him for something cheap if it takes up Wise's spot on the team. Jones could be a decent 4th/5th OF, IMO.

pmck003
01-25-2009, 10:31 PM
Buster Olney:

" 2. Even if you include pitchers, Andruw Jones is one of the worst hitters in the majors against right-handed pitching. He had an OPS of .436 in 2008 against righties, with one homer in 136 at-bats. That was a lower OPS (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting?sort=OPS&split=32&league=mlb&season=2008&seasonType=2&type=reg&ageMin=17&ageMax=51&minpa=50&hand=a&pos=all&startDate=null&endDate=null&qual=false&count=443) than that of hitting immortals Tim Lincecum, Aaron Cook and Matt Cain."

Jurr
01-25-2009, 10:43 PM
The book on Jones is simple. Take the needle out of his ass, and production declines. Nope. No thank you.

CashMan
01-25-2009, 10:54 PM

I pray to God every day, Jerry Owens does not make the roster.

Rdy2PlayBall
01-25-2009, 11:29 PM
The guy was a BEAST not too long ago, why not for only 400k? I don't really think they need him though, they need pitching.

Konerko05
01-26-2009, 02:38 AM
I really can't get over how bad Jones was last season. He somehow managed to slug (.249 SLG) below his awful .252 OBP. That is just embarassing. His defense has also dropped far below average. You would think the guy is 42 years old.

Sam Spade
01-26-2009, 08:30 AM
This guy might need a sports psychologist or something. Seriously, wha happen? Roids don't make THAT big of a difference.

RowanDye
01-26-2009, 10:05 AM
I wouldn't mind signing him for something cheap if it takes up Wise's spot on the team. Jones could be a decent 4th/5th OF, IMO.

Ding, ding, ding, ding! Unfortunately, we all know that Boras is going to squeeze more than Jones' worth out of some stupid team.

The bottom line is that he is not worth even $1 mil for the White Sox right now, because he is unlikely to perform significantly better than players already being paid. Yes, Andruw Jones sucked historically last year, but the real kicker is that it is a 2-3 year trend now. We already have several Comeback Player of the Year types. Why waste money?

Moses_Scurry
01-26-2009, 10:12 AM
You heard it hear first: Andruw Jones is going to be an All-Star this year

....... of the Northern League

.......... for the Schaumburg Flyers.

CashMan
01-26-2009, 10:37 AM
Roids don't make THAT big of a difference.

Hmmmm...Ask Eric Gagne if they do.

areilly
01-26-2009, 10:50 AM
Hmmmm...Ask Eric Gagne if they do.

Or Hall of Fame vote-earner Matt Williams.

CashMan
01-26-2009, 12:21 PM
How about Brady Anderson? Hits HRs in the teens, throws up 50 0ne year, then back to the teens.

FedEx227
01-26-2009, 12:44 PM
Jones is a healthy mixture of former HGH use, fatness and being older than he originally said. I seriously doubt he was 19 when he was coming up for the Braves, probably closer to 22-23.

Tragg
01-26-2009, 02:23 PM
Jerry Owens would provide both youth and speed in centerfield.
As well as poor defense and impotent offense.
And he's not that young either.

CashMan
01-26-2009, 02:28 PM
As well as poor defense and impotent offense.
And he's not that young either.

I think he will be like 27 or 28 on opening day, IIRC.

areilly
01-26-2009, 03:01 PM
Jones is a healthy mixture of former HGH use, fatness and being older than he originally said. I seriously doubt he was 19 when he was coming up for the Braves, probably closer to 22-23.

Really? I never would have Jones pegged as a juicer, but then again I never followed Atlanta Braves baseball that closely.

Then again, I also never suspected at least 75% of the eventually outed juicers, so what do I know?

FedEx227
01-26-2009, 06:49 PM
I think he will be like 27 or 28 on opening day, IIRC.

I really don't believe that. That's why I think his decline is so surprising to people, however if he was 33-34, it would seem more reasonable.

Rdy2PlayBall
01-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Jerry Owens stats are not that bad at all. Who cares about his low batting average, the guy has never has a full season to himself. Defending a starting job and getting it in the first place can put a lot of confidence in a player and make him good. .267 batting average is miles ahead of Swisher, and I believe he led off some games. :rolleyes:

They are not good, but he doesn't suck as bad as a lot of you are making it seem.

Tragg
01-26-2009, 11:25 PM
I really don't believe that. That's why I think his decline is so surprising to people, however if he was 33-34, it would seem more reasonable.
Talking about Jerry Owens.
Owens certainly isn't in decline.

As for Swisher, his OBP dwarfs Jerry Owens and Owens' stats (low obp with no power) were earned via a lot of favorable situations. He's terrible. But Guillen had him pencilled in ahead of Quentin and Missle, so Ozzie has a different way of looking at talent.

TheOldRoman
01-27-2009, 12:00 AM
Talking about Jerry Owens.
Owens certainly isn't in decline.

As for Swisher, his OBP dwarfs Jerry Owens and Owens' stats (low obp with no power) were earned via a lot of favorable situations. He's terrible. But Guillen had him pencilled in ahead of Quentin and Missle, so Ozzie has a different way of looking at talent.:rolleyes: I knew no mention of Jerry Owens could go by without you throwing this speculation out there. If you remember correctly, Quentin was recoving from an injury last spring. Originally, the Sox believed he might have to do extended spring training, and not be ready until May. Owens got chances in ST because he was healthy at that point. There is no evidence whatsoever that the Sox planned to have Owens as their regular CF last year with Swisher in LF and Quentin either on the bench or AAA.

And, once again, if the Sox were so high on Owens, why wasn't he called up last year when healthy? He plays CF, and he had lead off in the past. That would have filled two positions of need, yet they called up a 30 year old journeyman instead.

WHILEPITCH
01-27-2009, 12:44 AM
Jerry Owens stats are not that bad at all. Who cares about his low batting average, the guy has never has a full season to himself. Defending a starting job and getting it in the first place can put a lot of confidence in a player and make him good. .267 batting average is miles ahead of Swisher, and I believe he led off some games. :rolleyes:

They are not good, but he doesn't suck as bad as a lot of you are making it seem.

I was rooting for Owens for the longest time. I too would be fine with batting average issues.

What has made me come around, however, is the inability to hit for extra bases plus the weak arm. Pods may have been the same way, but it's really rare that you have a guy like Pods who puts it together so late in his twenties.

EDIT: Just went to see Pods' minor league stats. Seems really weird that this guy ever made it, when you see these stats alongside his age about the time he stopped being a regular minor league player. http://minors.baseball-reference.com/players.cgi?pid=11507

bradchifan3
03-04-2009, 12:22 AM
:rolleyes: I knew no mention of Jerry Owens could go by without you throwing this speculation out there. If you remember correctly, Quentin was recoving from an injury last spring. Originally, the Sox believed he might have to do extended spring training, and not be ready until May. Owens got chances in ST because he was healthy at that point. There is no evidence whatsoever that the Sox planned to have Owens as their regular CF last year with Swisher in LF and Quentin either on the bench or AAA.

And, once again, if the Sox were so high on Owens, why wasn't he called up last year when healthy? He plays CF, and he had lead off in the past. That would have filled two positions of need, yet they called up a 30 year old journeyman instead.

Because Owens just isn't good. i often wonder how much longer he will be with the organization.