PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Lefty ?

NLaloosh
01-15-2009, 11:19 AM
Let's just say that Colon and Richard fill out the rotation for the Sox and Marquez and Poreda start the season in Charlotte, who do you think would be the 2nd lefty in the bullpen ? Or, do you think Poreda and Richard will definitely make the team with one going to the pen ? Or, do you think the Sox bring in another lefty externally or internally ? Or, will they go with one lefty?

soxfan43
01-15-2009, 11:20 AM
Let's just say that Colon and Richard fill out the rotation for the Sox and Marquez and Poreda start the season in Charlotte, who do you think would be the 2nd lefty in the bullpen ? Or, do you think Poreda and Richard will definitely make the team with one going to the pen ? Or, do you think the Sox bring in another lefty externally or internally ? Or, will they go with one lefty?

Unless Poreda has a horrible camp, I'd imagine he's your second lefty. I'd also make a guess that the Sox will still bring in another veteran arm or 2 on minor league or incentive ladendeals.

sox1970
01-15-2009, 11:24 AM
The lefties they have in camp so far are Richard, Poreda, Thornton, and Randy Williams (along with Buehrle and Danks).

I think when it's all said and done, they'll sign another starting pitcher and Richard will be the long guy out of the pen/spot starter. Poreda and Marquez will be at AAA.

veeter
01-15-2009, 11:36 AM
I've always been a big fan of putting rookies in the pen. Buehrle did it, as have many others. The arguement against it, is keeping guys stretched out, I guess. But, I'd like to see Poreda coming out of the pen this season.

Sargeant79
01-15-2009, 11:40 AM
The lefties they have in camp so far are Richard, Poreda, Thornton, and Randy Williams (along with Buehrle and Danks).

I think when it's all said and done, they'll sign another starting pitcher and Richard will be the long guy out of the pen/spot starter. Poreda and Marquez will be at AAA.

I really doubt it. I think you just saw the addition to the rotation last night. I'd be pretty surprised if one of the kids isn't the number 5 starter. That said, I think at least one of Poreda and Marquez will be in the bullpen.

sox1970
01-15-2009, 11:42 AM
I've always been a big fan of putting rookies in the pen. Buehrle did it, as have many others. The arguement against it, is keeping guys stretched out, I guess. But, I'd like to see Poreda coming out of the pen this season.

For all intents and purposes, Richard can be that guy out of the pen. Face it, if they end up with Colon and Garcia in the rotation, Richard will get chances to start here and there.

I think people are putting a little too much faith in Poreda just based on the Arizona Fall League reports. He wasn't that great at AA last year, and he hasn't had a start in AAA. I think he'd be better off getting a couple months of starts at AAA this year, and when Colon or another starter inevitably goes down, either Poreda or Richard will be ready to move into the rotation at that point.

veeter
01-15-2009, 11:44 AM
I really doubt it. I think you just saw the addition to the rotation last night. I'd be pretty surprised if one of the kids isn't the number 5 starter. That said, I think at least one of Poreda and Marquez will be in the bullpen.Yep. With Contreras getting paid without playing, Colon is it. Kenny is once again putting faith in his young guys. He's going to the well again, but I trust him.

veeter
01-15-2009, 11:47 AM
For all intents and purposes, Richard can be that guy out of the pen. Face it, if they end up with Colon and Garcia in the rotation, Richard will get chances to start here and there.

I think people are putting a little too much faith in Poreda just based on the Arizona Fall League reports. He wasn't that great at AA last year, and he hasn't had a start in AAA. I think he'd be better off getting a couple months of starts at AAA this year, and when Colon or another starter inevitably goes down, either Poreda or Richard will be ready to move into the rotation at that point.You're right. Because of trade inquiries where Kenny has said, "No way", in regards to Poreda, his legend has grown a little. He could absolutely get lit up in spring training. But if he has a strong spring, I think the pen would be his best landing point.

NLaloosh
01-15-2009, 12:11 PM
I really don't think that Kenny will sign another veteran starter unless the guy is willing to pitch out of the pen as well. I believe that he will go young, as he has stated, at one spot in the rotation.

I would like to see Poreda start in Charlotte and maybe later in the year join the pen. I'd like to see the Sox try to keep him as a starting pitcher in the future.

However, I do believe the Sox like 2 lefties in the pen which gives me reason to believe that they may try to rush Poreda. Or, maybe Marquez pitches well and they do put him in the rotation with Colon and Richard goes to the pen.

I guess we'll see but I'd be surprised if Kenny adds any more pitching of significance.

Chez
01-15-2009, 12:18 PM
Richard was more effective out of the bullpen last season. I'd like to see him start the season in the pen with Marquez in the rotation and Aaron P. waiting in the wings in Charlotte for the inevitable Colon breakdown.

cards press box
01-15-2009, 12:28 PM

If Bartolo Colon is healthy and throws as well as he did for the Red Sox last season and if the Sox sign another starting pitcher (say, for example, Yadel Marti from Cuba) who makes the rotation, then the second lefty in the pen could be Clayton Richard. In that event, Poreda would likely go to AA or AAA to work on secondary pitches.

soxinem1
01-15-2009, 01:37 PM
Richard was more effective out of the bullpen last season. I'd like to see him start the season in the pen with Marquez in the rotation and Aaron P. waiting in the wings in Charlotte for the inevitable Colon breakdown.

Richard was crisp, had command, threw hard, and went after the hitters pitching out of the pen. In the playoffs, he looked real good.

I for one believe his future is in the bullpen. He's not a big guy and small starting pitchers tend to have stamina issues.

sox1970
01-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Richard was crisp, had command, threw hard, and went after the hitters pitching out of the pen. In the playoffs, he looked real good.

I for one believe his future is in the bullpen. He's not a big guy and small starting pitchers tend to have stamina issues.

Clayton Richard is small? 6'5"--240.

EMachine10
01-15-2009, 02:06 PM
Clayton Richard is small? 6'5"--240.
Beat me to it. He's a big guy.

I like him and wouldn't mind if he started or came out of the pen. If he earns a spot in the rotation, give it to him.