PDA

View Full Version : A Look Ahead....Who's Eligible in 2010

PKalltheway
01-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Well, I took a gander at who will be eligible next year, and I determined that these players might have a chance:

Roberto Alomar
Andres Galarraga
Barry Larkin
Edgar Martinez
Fred McGriff

Who do you think will eventually get in out of this list, if any? Do you think any of them are first-ballot Hall of Famers?

If I had a vote, I'd vote for Roberto Alomar. Alomar was one of the best defensive second basemen ever (the best that PKalltheway has ever seen in his lifetime anyway). He's the only one I can confidently cast a vote for at this moment. I won't let his last few years with the Sox and Mets cloud my judgement.

I'm on the fence about McGriff and Larkin. Larkin was one of the best shortstops in baseball during the 1990's, and I'm a little biased towards him since I got the opportunity to see Larkin play on a fairly regular basis. I think he will eventually get in, though, but not for a few years.

Fred McGriff will be interesting. He played first base for the best team in baseball during the 1990's, and he was their main power bat. 493 home runs is certainly nothing to slouch at, and he doesn't have the steroid cloud hanging over him. I think he'll end up like Bert Blyleven. He was one of those players who was consistently good for a long period of time, but wasn't really dominant. He's good enough to be in, his numbers compare favorably to everybody who is in, but he likely won't get in. You can thank the steroid guys for that.

Edgar Martinez and Andres Galarraga: Good, but not good enough IMHO.

Thoughts?

jabrch
01-12-2009, 09:39 PM
Of that list, the only one I vote for is Robbie Alomar.

DumpJerry
01-12-2009, 09:41 PM
Alomar (he'll wear a White Sox hat!) and Martinez (he'll pave the way for other DH players like Big Hurt).

doublem23
01-12-2009, 09:55 PM
Alomar's in 1st ballot, Martinez and Larkin have a chance, but they'll have to wait a couple of years.

Hendu
01-12-2009, 09:55 PM
Alomar is a first-balloter. You could make a strong case for Larkin, but it'll take him a while to get in (if ever). McGriff has almost 500 HRs but I don't know if he'll get in. Maybe eventually. Edgar shouldn't get in. For a full-time DH, his numbers aren't spectacular. Big Cat - no chance.

A. Cavatica
01-12-2009, 10:25 PM
Alomar yes, but not necessarily on the first ballot, and certainly not if he sacrifices his eligibility to play for the Sox this season. No to the others.

Craig Grebeck
01-12-2009, 11:26 PM
Alomar/Blyleven.

TheVulture
01-12-2009, 11:55 PM
I think Edgar is a hall of famer - .312/.418/.515 is hard to argue against.

SOXfnNlansing
01-13-2009, 03:37 AM
Alomar for sure. The rest are tough. Somehow the baseball writers think they play 'God' when they vote, so who knows how they'll vote. I was suprised to see there are only 202 in the hall now.

fozzy
01-13-2009, 08:43 AM
Alomar and Larkin's stats are a lot close then anyone thinks.

Alomar Larkin
Hits 2724 2340
HR 210 198
BA .300 .295
OB .371 .371
SB 474 379

Lip Man 1
01-13-2009, 11:34 AM
Alomar is in and that's it in my opinion.

Martinez is going to be worth watching, it could reflect back on Frank Thomas since both are considered DH's. (Although Thomas' numbers are significantly better, he won two AL MVP awards and he played first base years longer then Martinez ever played a position.)

Lip

downstairs
01-13-2009, 11:50 AM
Alomar is in and that's it in my opinion.

Martinez is going to be worth watching, it could reflect back on Frank Thomas since both are considered DH's. (Although Thomas' numbers are significantly better, he won two AL MVP awards and he played first base years longer then Martinez ever played a position.)

Lip

Is Thomas even an argument? I think people have come around to realize he was a great player. Thomas has to be a first-ballot guaruntee.

Edgar? Nah- I don't see him ever getting in.

khan
01-13-2009, 01:26 PM
Heck, if Rice got in, then let ALL of 'em in!

Rice had 382 HR, and hit <.300 for a career, while having had some pretty good protection around him in the lineup.

Blyleven and Alomar are definites, WITHOUT the "Jim Rice" clause, IMO. But the rest of the players cited were every bit as good as Rice was. So let 'em ALL in.

PaleHoser
01-13-2009, 02:18 PM
Alomar is first ballot. I've been ready to punch his ticket there since May 10, 1991 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/TOR/TOR199105100.shtml).

He hit a game-tying HR off Bobby Thigpen with two outs in the 9th, batting left-handed. He followed that up by hitting a game-tying HR off Scott Radinsky with one out in the 11th, batting right-handed.

Sox win 5-3 in 12, but that game has always stuck out for me.

Maybe Joe Morgan can skip his induction weekend too?

Lip Man 1
01-13-2009, 04:49 PM
Down:

There is no discussion to me but I don't vote and that's why it's important to see how the voters react to Martinez who was nothing but a DH. Many voters still (incorrectly) think that's all Frank was too.

Lip

veeter
01-13-2009, 04:55 PM
Alomar/Blyleven.Alomar/ Blyleven + Dawson

SoxfaninLA
01-13-2009, 05:30 PM
Alomar should be a first ballot guy for sure. Best second baseman of his generation, and I don't think it is really that close. A guy that definitely murdered us both at the plate and in the field, particularly in his Tribe days. 12 all star games, 10 gold gloves (which shouldn't have a lot of meaning but I think they do to voters), and 5 top ten MVP finishes.

Larkin is a guy that I don't see getting in on the first ballot, but could make his way in a couple years down the line. He does have an MVP and 12 all star games, which is nothing to sneeze at, but it doesn't scream hall of fame to me.

turners56
01-13-2009, 07:20 PM
Definitely Alomar. I'm on the fence with Edgar Martinez though.

akingamongstmen
01-13-2009, 10:36 PM
Heading to Cooperstown:
Roberto Alomar: Someone already said it, he was the best 2nd baseman of his generation. Hall of Famer. No doubt.

Barry Larkin: One of the premier shortstops of his generation. Helped to usher in the "modern era" of power-hitting shorstops while maintaining the tradition of excellent defense and speed at the position. Quietly excelled in Cincinnati, so the media didn't build him up as much as they should have. Imagine if he played in NY (I'm looking at you, Jeter). Hall of Famer.

Blyleven: Time to end his ridiculous exclusion. Hall of Famer.

Great, but not elite:
Fred McGriff: He's got the numbers, and a Hall of Fame infomercial to his credit (I wonder if he still has that ridiculous hat tucked away somewhere in his basement). McGriff never felt like the best 1st baseman during his playing days, though, which raises a red flag. Not a Hall of Famer (sorry Fred).

Edgar Martinez: Scary hitter and a tremendous guy. Didn't put up enough numbers to make up for his one-dimensional game, though. Not a Hall of Famer.

whitesox901
01-13-2009, 11:41 PM
Robbie fo sho

PKalltheway
01-14-2009, 12:08 AM
Barry Larkin: One of the premier shortstops of his generation. Helped to usher in the "modern era" of power-hitting shorstops while maintaining the tradition of excellent defense and speed at the position. Quietly excelled in Cincinnati, so the media didn't build him up as much as they should have. Imagine if he played in NY (I'm looking at you, Jeter). Hall of Famer.

That is so true, I agree with you 100%. If he played shortstop for the Yankees, Red Sox, or Mets his whole career, the media would be showering Larkin with obscene, almost disturbing amounts of adulation, possibly even counting down the days until his inevitable induction. You'd probably even see a hour long special devoted to him on ESPN in the days leading up to the induction ceremony.:rolleyes:

I had better stop. I don't want to give them any ideas for when Jeter's induction day comes up....

ChiSoxFan81
01-15-2009, 09:37 AM
Alomar and Santo.