PDA

View Full Version : Sun Times, Page 115

34 Inch Stick
05-23-2002, 12:21 PM
Isn't this the perfect image of a north side franchise crowd. One person on his cell phone, 12 people not watching the game, 7 guys standing in the middle of an inning, and a cute meter.

Dan H
05-23-2002, 01:18 PM
If you were are Wrigley, would you want to watch what goes on there? I'd be drinking or be on the cell phone, too.

LongDistanceFan
05-23-2002, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Dan H
If you were are Wrigley, would you want to watch what goes on there? I'd be drinking or be on the cell phone, too. the last i heard from the north side was they put up a huge banner where the crowd from across the street couldn't see the game............... is the banner still there?

Chisox353014
05-23-2002, 03:29 PM
Be warned: if anyone picks up a Sun-Times today, make sure to have a barf bag handy. There are 5 pages of Prior BS, and a color picture of the freakish Moises Alou Celebriduck inside. Garland and the Sox are buried about 6 pages in, with one whole page devoted to our shutout of Boston.

Jerry_Manuel
05-23-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
the last i heard from the north side was they put up a huge banner where the crowd from across the street couldn't see the game............... is the banner still there?

They put green screens up on the fences so the roof-top guys can't see in. Yes, they are still up.

steff
05-23-2002, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Chisox353014
Be warned: if anyone picks up a Sun-Times today, make sure to have a barf bag handy. There are 5 pages of Prior BS, and a color picture of the freakish Moises Alou Celebriduck inside. Garland and the Sox are buried about 6 pages in, with one whole page devoted to our shutout of Boston.

LOL.. funny you mention this. I nearly threw the damn thing out the window on the way to work because I had to turn FOUR pages BEFORE I got to anything about the Sox.. Unfriggin believeable.

RKMeibalane
05-23-2002, 10:25 PM
It is extremely dissapointing as a Sox fan to have to tolerate this crap every day. The Chicago media just doesn't get it. The Cubs have not done anything right this season. They have one of the worst records in baseball. Prior winning his first start is worthy of some recognition, but they act like he's just won his eight Cy Young award in a row. Give me a break. The White Sox took two of three from Boston, and no one pays any attention. They move into a first-place tie with the Twinkies, and nobody seems to care. This is why there are so many Cubs fans and so few Sox fans right now, because the media would have everyone believe that the Sox are something that came out of Rosanne Barr's rear end.

I don't want to hear about it when the Sox reach the post-season. I don't want the Chicago papers to act as though they have been behind the Sox the entire season, because they haven't. The Moron's work is a microcosm of this baseball season. The Cubs, despite being awful, have gotten most of the publicity, and the Sox have gotten little recognition, except when they are hammered by West Coast teams. The Tribune always seems to report on them when that happens, or when the attendance is low at Comiskey. Convenient how that works out.

LongDistanceFan
05-24-2002, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

They put green screens up on the fences so the roof-top guys can't see in. Yes, they are still up. and the press is still not tearing up the flubs for this..................... yet the sox may do a fubar and the press laid in to them for a long time.......

good for all those roof topper.......... i wonder if they are still fans.

Soxheads
05-24-2002, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Isn't this the perfect image of a north side franchise crowd. One person on his cell phone, 12 people not watching the game, 7 guys standing in the middle of an inning, and a cute meter.

There's an image kind of like that in the WSI feature.

doublem23
05-24-2002, 04:51 AM
The Cubune's not much better (Gee, there's a surprise), as Prior gets about 60% of the front page of the sports section. Hell, his PICTURE alone is about twice as big as the "spotlight" Garland grabs, and just when you think that's bad enough, the entire back page is devoted to Prior, and it gives the Messiah's pitch-by-pitch recap...

:chunks

Jerry_Manuel
05-24-2002, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
and the press is still not tearing up the flubs for this..................... yet the sox may do a fubar and the press laid in to them for a long time.......

good for all those roof topper.......... i wonder if they are still fans.

The media got on them pretty good, when they were toying with the idea of putting them up. No, the roof top guys are money making fans, not Cub fans.

Iwritecode
05-24-2002, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by steff3603 LOL.. funny you mention this. I nearly threw the damn thing out the window on the way to work because I had to turn FOUR pages BEFORE I got to anything about the Sox.. Unfriggin believeable.

Originally posted by doublem23 The Cubune's not much better (Gee, there's a surprise), as Prior gets about 60% of the front page of the sports section. Hell, his PICTURE alone is about twice as big as the "spotlight" Garland grabs, and just when you think that's bad enough, the entire back page is devoted to Prior, and it gives the Messiah's pitch-by-pitch recap...

I was listening to the radio on the way home last night and I heard J. Hood (I think that's who it was...) asking people to call in because he just can't understand why Sox fans are so worried about what the Cubs are doing. He thinks we should just root for our own team and not worry about the other side of town. Gee, when the local media force-feeds us Cubs crap every single day, it's kinda hard to ignore don't ya think? When we have to turn past 6 pages dedicated to the Cubs to get to the one column about the Sox or sit through 29 minutes of Cubs highlights to watch them squeeze the Sox highlights into the last 30 seconds we really don't have a lot of choice do we? Besides that, the rivalry has been there ever since these two teams were created. They share the same city thus compete for the same "casual" fans. When the average baseball fan doesn't even know who plays left field for the Sox but know what the 47th pitch Prior threw in his first ML game something is not right. He also said something about Sox fans being jealous of Cubs attendance. I'm not jealous, I just don't like the fact that the casual fan is never given any reason to go to comiskey because they have no idea what it's like. They hear about how bad it is or how bad the stadium is (none of which is true) and end up on the north side instead. I would love to call in to some of these shows sometimes but it's not worth the cost of my phone bill...

cheeses_h_rice
05-24-2002, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

I was listening to the radio on the way home last night and I heard J. Hood (I think that's who it was...) asking people to call in because he just can't understand why Sox fans are so worried about what the Cubs are doing. He thinks we should just root for our own team and not worry about the other side of town. Gee, when the local media force-feeds us Cubs crap every single day, it's kinda hard to ignore don't ya think? When we have to turn past 6 pages dedicated to the Cubs to get to the one column about the Sox or sit through 29 minutes of Cubs highlights to watch them squeeze the Sox highlights into the last 30 seconds we really don't have a lot of choice do we? Besides that, the rivalry has been there ever since these two teams were created. They share the same city thus compete for the same "casual" fans. When the average baseball fan doesn't even know who plays left field for the Sox but know what the 47th pitch Prior threw in his first ML game something is not right. He also said something about Sox fans being jealous of Cubs attendance. I'm not jealous, I just don't like the fact that the casual fan is never given any reason to go to comiskey because they have no idea what it's like. They hear about how bad it is or how bad the stadium is (none of which is true) and end up on the north side instead. I would love to call in to some of these shows sometimes but it's not worth the cost of my phone bill...

I'm sure there are Sox fans with enough patience and reserve not to give a whit about the exploits of the pathetic North Siders. However, I am not one of them. Let's face it: baseball is a SPORT, a competitive SPORT where the object of it is to defeat your opponent. The Cubs are, effectively, the White Sox's opponent as far as winning over fans in this city. News editors (TV, print, web) are constantly having to decide who gets top billing on any given day during the baseball season. We all know that the corporation that owns the other ballclub in town also owns 1) the biggest newspaper in town, 2) a huge, worldwide cable television powerhouse station, 3) a powerful AM radio station, and 4) a cable news station. In this day and age of media conglomeration, does anyone seriously think that the Tribune Co. doesn't favor its own product over the Sox? Would we really have seen about half of Thursday's sports section in the Tribune be devoted to Mark Prior (including that insanely ridiculous pitch-by-pitch account) if he were on the White Sox?

I have no problems allowing the Flubbies top billing on most news nights if they're competing for a division lead or are in first place, or have an individual player do some amazing feat like Kerry Wood's 20-K game. But lately, so much ink has been spilled on ONE OF THE WORST TEAMS PLAYING IN THE MAJOR LEAGUES the last 5 years vs. our almost always competitive Sox that it really, really riles me as a Sox fan. THIS is why I pay attention to the Flubbies, to get informed about how poor an excuse for a baseball squad they really are, and to revel in their defeats. Sure, it has nothing to do with the White Sox's chances of making the postseason (except for crosstown interleague games), but it has so, so much to do with the intracity battle for peoples' loyalty, fanhood, and $$$.

RedPinStripes
05-24-2002, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

They put green screens up on the fences so the roof-top guys can't see in. Yes, they are still up.

Trib co says it the "post 911 environment!" *****!