PDA

View Full Version : a trade revisited

LongDistanceFan
05-23-2002, 12:11 PM
now with a good portion of the games played, what are the consensus of the trade with the the buc's?

voodoochile
05-23-2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
now with a good portion of the games played, what are the consensus of the trade with the the buc's?

This year's Royce V Manos debate is baaaaack...

It all comes down to how you look at it. Hindsight makes it look average or bad (depending on how the young pitchers continue to pitch in Pittsburgh). At the time, no one expected Fogg to be a starter and a good one at that, so it seemed like a good trade.

I still like it, because I don't think Fogg and Wells are going to keep it up and Ritchie looks exactly like what we expected...

34 Inch Stick
05-23-2002, 12:30 PM
Which one? I have no idea how Guerier is doing but Marte has been preety good. However, by all accounts Marte was going to be cut by the Pirates and we could have had him for nothing.

We needed a guy like Ritchie at the time of the trade. We overpayed but I cannot imagine where we would be with a rotation of Buhrle and four others. We would have had to hire a nanny to change all the crap that would have been in these kids pants. Still, we overpayed at the time of the trade, and we definitely overpayed at the 1/4 mark of the season.

urbanhack
05-23-2002, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan

Huh? We aren't even to the all star break yet. It's still way too early to tell. I don't think you can fully analyze this trade until the season is over.

LongDistanceFan
05-23-2002, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by urbanhack

Huh? We aren't even to the all star break yet. It's still way too early to tell. I don't think you can fully analyze this trade until the season is over. but it fun to start looking back........... i have been away from the baseball season so i needed some info of what i missed........

MattSharp
05-23-2002, 01:29 PM
You must have just gotten back, cause this was discussed last week I believe.....

Garrison
05-23-2002, 01:54 PM
I love the Marte deal so far because he's doing awesome and Guerrer still hasn't done anything for them. I think the change of scenery helped Kipper. I always liked him but he could never do well here. I think being with a new team and a new league is sort of a new start and he can do well. Nobody knew Fogg would pitch this well, and I wouldn't have been big on giving him a chance to start with basically no knowledge of what he can do. I still think it's too early. Bring it up at the all star break. I think Fogg and Wells with both cool off. Marte is awesome though! Hooray! Ritchie did what we expected and always gives us a chance to win. I like him a lot. He's not a bonafied #2 but maybe a solid #3 someday. Keep giving him the ball and maybe some run support!?!?!?

LongDistanceFan
05-23-2002, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
You must have just gotten back, cause this was discussed last week I believe..... oops ........ i didn't know...... i was gone

moochpuppy
05-23-2002, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Garrison
He's not a bonafied #2 but maybe a solid #3 someday. Keep giving him the ball and maybe some run support!?!?!?

I beg to differ. I think the way Ritchie has pitched thus far makes him an excellent #2 starter. If this poor guy would get some run support his record would easily be 6-2 instead of 3-5. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe he's only gotten 3 TOTAL RUNS in his last 4 loses. Before his bad game against Boston his ERA was a very respectable 3.32.