PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox sign Brad Penny

Marqhead
01-09-2009, 06:10 PM
1 year, 5 mil.

I'm the eternal optimist, but this pisses me off.

DumpJerry
01-09-2009, 06:17 PM
What's with all these one year deals? Do the teams or players thing the economy will turn around in a year to the point that teams will increase salaries next year? Don't the players think about the risk of a one year deal given they could have an injury which could preclude a contract for 2010? Wouldn't a multi-year deal for less per year than the one year be an acceptable risk?

If I'm offered two choices of either three years for $3M or one year at $5M per year (thereby foregoing possible contacts of greater than an aggregate of $9M over three years if I am injured or have a real bad 2009), I'd take the three year $3M deal. I think I can make ends meet on $3M per year, even after taxes.

Of course I don't know if Penny was offered an multi-year deal, but there seems to have quite a few one year deals this year.

Marqhead
01-09-2009, 06:21 PM
What's with all these one year deals? Do the teams or players thing the economy will turn around in a year to the point that teams will increase salaries next year? Don't the players think about the risk of a one year deal given they could have an injury which could preclude a contract for 2010? Wouldn't a multi-year deal for less per year than the one year be an acceptable risk?

If I'm offered two choices of either three years for $3M or one year at $5M per year (thereby foregoing possible contacts of greater than an aggregate of $9M over three years if I am injured or have a real bad 2009), I'd take the three year $3M deal. I think I can make ends meet on $3M per year, even after taxes.

Of course I don't know if Penny was offered an multi-year deal, but there seems to have quite a few one year deals this year.

I'm surprised as well which is why I'm a bit disappointed the Sox haven't jumped on one of these guys. Realtively cheap, 1 year risk, with a lot of upside. It certainly doesn't make a whole lot of sense for the player, but it most defintely does for the team.

FedEx227
01-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Wow. This is one I really thought we should've jumped on. I won't criticize Kenny much but this was a definite miss, he's a steal at 5 million.

DumpJerry
01-09-2009, 06:25 PM
I'm surprised as well which is why I'm a bit disappointed the Sox haven't jumped on one of these guys. Realtively cheap, 1 year risk, with a lot of upside. It certainly doesn't make a whole lot of sense for the player, but it most defintely does for the team.
As I pointed out in another thread which (surprisingly) critiques Kenny, one year contracts do not allow a team to build a strong base to be a quality team year-in/year-out. It is a short term gain for no long term stability approach. Kenny is more interested in building a team which will be strong year after year. Having a strong core group to build around is how that happens.

Marqhead
01-09-2009, 06:27 PM
As I pointed out in another thread which (surprisingly) critiques Kenny, one year contracts do not allow a team to build a strong base to be a quality team year-in/year-out. It is a short term gain for no long term stability approach. Kenny is more interested in building a team which will be strong year after year. Having a strong core group to build around is how that happens.

Agreed, and this will make sense if he signs someone else to a long term contract. If he doesn't, the only way to help the team's long term approach will be to plug in two rookies/inexperienced players at the end of the rotation and ride them through the season, sink or swim; and see what they can contribute. Otherwise it is a wasted opportunity in my eyes.

Konerko05
01-09-2009, 07:41 PM
I thought this happened over a week ago.

Marqhead
01-09-2009, 07:44 PM
I thought this happened over a week ago.

Yeah I just realized that. It was finalized today, should have bumped the old thread.

champagne030
01-09-2009, 07:44 PM

It would give the team a year to see Poreda can actually develop the pitches to be a starter, find out if Marquez is productive above AA, see if Richard will build upon last year. Instead, we're currently built to sink or swim with two guys in the rotation that haven't provided the results to feel confident in that "plan". I'm still hoping that Kenny has 1-2 moves to, at least, give us a chance to compete in our substandard division.

It's Dankerific
01-09-2009, 08:09 PM

It doesnt make any sense. You sign the man so he can be the 4th starter for a year. Then you have a contest of the younger people for the 5th starter. During that year, the 5th starter gets a year of on the job training, the 4th starter allows you to compete, you have injury insurance in AAA, AND if everyone does well stays healthy, you can bring up the young guy the next year (only ever having one green pitcher on the staff) staggering their MLB service time. So.. I fail to see how that could possibly be worse for long term stability.

Whitesoxfan23
01-09-2009, 08:33 PM
In no way would it be worse. KW has not done a good job at all this offseason. He does however have time to turn it around, so maybe he will. Our 4 and 5 SP right now though are a joke.

DumpJerry
01-09-2009, 10:32 PM
Wow. This is one I really thought we should've jumped on. I won't criticize Kenny much but this was a definite miss, he's a steal at 5 million.
I'm a steal at 2.5 million. Sign me, Kenny!