PDA

View Full Version : Like George Ryan, I'm Damn Mad

Viva Magglio
05-23-2002, 08:06 AM
I did not even look at the Cubune, but the Cub-Times this morning almost made me puke on the Metra train. There are no less than six pages of coverage from Priormania, including the blowup of the Cub pitcher on the back page of the paper. One of articles even had a batter-by-batter breakdown of the Messiah's pitches.

I'll give Mark Prior his props for pitching a decent game, even though he faced the weak-hitting Pittsburgh Pirates and that two of his ten strikeouts were the pitcher. However, the way the Fouth Estate has covered the arrival of Prior was totally obscene. I don't even think the arrival of M. Jeff in 1984 got this much attention!

Meanwhile in Boston, Jon Garland puts together a better pitching line (despite the fewer K's). Yet, this is buried like a guest star on "Six Feet Under." And who was it that gave us Mr. Garland, a No. 1 draft pick? It was none other than our friends on the North Side who thought Matt Karchner would be a great reliever. Granted, Garland has not overly impressed us overall yet, but he deserves his props for subduing the best team in the American League in a tough ballpark.

Instead, he is enveloped by all of the hype that is Priormania. This guy will not pitch the Cubs to the 2002 World Series championship, and a thorough examination of college baseball history would probably call into question claims that Prior is the "greatest pitcher in college baseball history." No doubt, Prior is an improvement in the Cubs' rotation over Sox emigré Jason Bere. But believe you me, the ghost of Edward G. Robinson is on his way to be on hand when Prior gets his ears pinned back.

Finally, last night, I heard a Sox fan caller tell J. Hood that the media hype over Mark Prior is yet another example of media bias against the Sox. To my surprise, Hood said of this bias "That's not true." Where has J. Hood, a Sox fan, been? If anyone believes that there is no anti-Sox bias (or ignorance) from the Fourth Estate, then I have some oceanfront property in Tucson that I can sell you.

Garrison
05-23-2002, 08:22 AM
It pisses me off that in order to find a recap of our win, after a wonderful three-hit performance by our 22 year-old, I had to scour the tiny headlines that border a huge picture of Mark Prior on ESPN's MLB page. When I finally found it the headline read: "Red Sox Rally falls short in ninth against ChiSox." It didn't even mention that this was the best performance of Garland's career against the best team in baseball. Jeff Weaver one-hit Cleavelad and that got as little press as the Sox win. This is all BS. Where did this media bias against us come from? How can the entire media be so in love with a terrible, terminally losing, ball club? I just don't understand and it pisses me off. :angry:

Tragg
05-23-2002, 08:41 AM
The other problem on ESPN is, of course, when the Red Sox lose, the information is so hidden that a site search is usually required.

Soxboyrob
05-23-2002, 08:41 AM
Could we be more paranoid, guys?
Listen to us.
Prior looked great. Excellent, in fact. He was as good as advertised and the media build-up was on a national basis and not just local. It was his first start after getting a $10 mill signing bonus. Garland has been muddling around for 2 years with us before pitching a gem of a game....something we expected him to be doing a little earlier than yesterday. The Cubs have been so godawful this year and for years and years, that I don't blame fans and media for making a big deal out of it.

Can't we just be happy that we've gotten wins out of our 3 and 4 hole in the rotation after disappointing outings from #1 and #2? I tend to think that Garland would play better without the bright lights shining on him anyway, since he craps his pants every time he gets in a jam. Maybe we should just pretend his nice game last night didn't happen and he might just come out and do it again.

harwar
05-23-2002, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!

Finally, last night, I heard a Sox fan caller tell J. Hood that the media hype over Mark Prior is yet another example of media bias against the Sox. To my surprise, Hood said of this bias "That's not true." Where has J. Hood, a Sox fan, been? If anyone believes that there is no anti-Sox bias (or ignorance) from the Fourth Estate, then I have some oceanfront property in Tucson that I can sell you.

Jonathan Hood is a big Sox fan.He was VERY angry because he was having a "southsiders post game show" and no one was calling in.He desperately wanted to talk about Garland but i guess all the Sox fans were over on espn1000.Then he had to have the cubs post game,with all the little fagot cub fans calling in.It must be very hard for a Sox fan to do that but in this city there is no choice.We are very out-numbered.

moochpuppy
05-23-2002, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
Listen to us.
Prior looked great. Excellent, in fact. He was as good as advertised and the media build-up was on a national basis and not just local. It was his first start after getting a $10 mill signing bonus. Garland has been muddling around for 2 years with us before pitching a gem of a game....something we expected him to be doing a little earlier than yesterday. The Cubs have been so godawful this year and for years and years, that I don't blame fans and media for making a big deal out of it.

Can't we just be happy that we've gotten wins out of our 3 and 4 hole in the rotation after disappointing outings from #1 and #2? I tend to think that Garland would play better without the bright lights shining on him anyway, since he craps his pants every time he gets in a jam. Maybe we should just pretend his nice game last night didn't happen and he might just come out and do it again.

I wouldn't say that Prior looked great and not even close to excellent. He pitched against the lowest scoring team in baseball and a team that on average strikesout over 7 times a game. Sure, Prior had 10 SO but two of them were against the pitcher and 3 more came against Ramirez who hasn't hit the broad side of building all year. The Pirates best hitter (Brian Giles) went 3-for-4 with a dinger against Prior.

With regards to Garland, sure he has been around a little longer than Prior but the kid is still only 22, less than one year older than Prior. After watching his performance last night I'm convinced more than ever that Garland is going to be a star.

Look at the way Wood came out in his rookie year in '98. Back then he was the Messiah. He then gets hurt and hasn't been the same until this year, 4 years later, at the age of 24.

Okay, now I'm just ranting. Let's just wait and see what Prior can do against a formitable lineup like Houston, St. Louis, San Francisco, Cincinnati......

PaleHoseGeorge
05-23-2002, 09:23 AM
You can defend the Chicago media all you want, I really don't care. Ultimately, what a bunch of sports journalists and editors choose to do with the local sports news is of little consequence. Frontrunning is their profession, and yesterday's topic was preordained to be Mark Prior's moment of sunshine. They had their reporters in place to "make" the news.

One thing you can take to the bank: none of those Sox players who got off the plane from Boston early this morning is going to miss all the newspaper and radio nonsense going on today. These guys are in first-place, and got not one, but TWO gems from young pitchers against the top team in baseball. Yet, Jon Garland and Danny Wright are invisible today.

You don't think the Sox aren't taking note of the second-class coverage they're getting today? If they deny it, don't believe them. Today's is their day off, LOL! Everyone around them is talking about it!

It's just this sort of motivational edge that makes the Sox hellbent to kick weanie Flubbie butt in the crosstown series. Manos does kissies and Baylor explodes!

I say, keep it coming. Proving these people fools and frontrunners can be a lot of fun--usually because we were right all along.

Chisox353014
05-23-2002, 09:25 AM
Ticket to the "greatest game in Cub history": $20

Program from the Messiah's first game at Wrigley: $4

Mark Prior replica jersey (replaces the Zuleta, Patterson and Hill jerseys in your closet): $120

8 beers to make yourself delusional enough to believe a century of awful history is turning around in your favor: $32

Waking up hung over the next day and realizing that your team has the same record as the Tampa Bay Devil Rays: priceless

LuvChiSox
05-23-2002, 09:29 AM
"Let's just wait and see what Prior can do against a formitable lineup like Houston, St. Louis, San Francisco, Cincinnati......"

I thoroughly agree with all of the comments, with the exeption of our resident cub fan in disguise.

Garland was truly on his game last night. He deserved headlines and was dissed as usual by the media bias. It is really shameful.

I don't give once ounce of credit to the "messiah" until he proves himself against some formidable opponents.
And last time I checked, the scrubs are still a long ways away from .500. That game last night meant NOTHING. I'm ashamed at the media, they have truly sunk to another new low. :angry:

foulkesfan11
05-23-2002, 09:38 AM
Prior did ok, but Garland did better.

Iwritecode
05-23-2002, 09:38 AM
Prior pitched pretty decent. He is extremely lucky that the Cubs finally had an offensive breakthrough last night though. Before last night the Cubs had only scored more than 4 runs once in their last 12 games. They managed 2 or less 6 times in the last 12. Somehow they managed 7 last night. I'm interested to see how he will do against a half-way decent offense. Hopefully the Sox offense will be clicking when they face the Cubs and he will be on the hill.

Kilroy
05-23-2002, 09:45 AM
The one and only way Garland and the Sox would have gotten more coverage than they did would have been if he'd no-hit the BoSox.

Actually, in that case, he should have gotten tons more coverage. It would have been interesting to see how they handled that.

But, while Garland pitched great, better than Prior even, its not the bigger story. Even adding to it the fact that the Sox got back into first with the win over the best team in the league doesn't make it a bigger story. As Sox fans, we hate it, but that's the truth of it. Does Prior warrant the kind of coverage that he's getting? Hell no!!! But he's the bigger story today.

I said it yesterday that Cub fans would write Jesus out of the bible if he looked good. He did, and they are. Stupid bastards. Sometime this afternoon, they'll be reminded that the Cubs still suck ass.

Dan H
05-23-2002, 09:45 AM
The one thing that is really odd about the Priormania is that pitching really hasn't been the biggest problem for the Cubs. It is everything else. Anemic hitting, stupid baserunning, inept defense, and just dumb ass baseball has been trademarks of this lousy ball club. As far as the media goes, I gave up on them a long time ago, and there is no use hoping for anything better. The only thing I want is a World Series, not just a title in a weak sister division. Give us that World Series that hasn't happened for over four decades and the Cubs can have all the hype they want. Their fans will never realize it. but their delusional, hope springs eternal nonsense only feeds the losing fire.

Daver
05-23-2002, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by LuvChiSox

I thoroughly agree with all of the comments, with the exeption of our resident cub fan in disguise.

There is more than one :crossdresser lurking around here.

Chisox353014
05-23-2002, 09:55 AM
Listen to us.

*Begin rant*
I'm very happy with the outcome of the Boston series, but is it too much to ask that the media in this town give us a little freakin' respect?
WGN didn't even mention that our win put us in a first-place tie fer crying out loud! Instead I get 5 minutes of Dan 'hair plugs" Roan giggling like a schoolgirl over one lousy Flub victory. At least WGN didn't have reporters at Wrigley, like the other 4 Chicago networks did. Since when does a team that's 12 games under .500 deserve that much attention, even with a phenom pitcher starting for them? Let's put it this way: when Channel 5 spends so much damn time on a live report from some airhead reporter (who probably doesn't know a baseball from a football) that they are forced to literally cram the Sox highlights into the last 30 seconds of the show along with the Stanley Cup highlights, there is a problem. And I think Sox fans have every right to be angry about it. We Sox fans all know what's most important-we're tied for first place. But I shouldn't have to watch all 5 Chicago newscasts looking for decent Sox coverage and still not find any. And I haven't even looked at the papers yet this morning. Is a Garland-led 3 hit shutout of Boston even mentioned on the front page of the Cubune sports section? I hope the Sox are watching all this nonsense and filing it away for when we play the Little Blue Losers later this year. At least we know we can kick the crap out of them where it counts.
*end rant*

Iwritecode
05-23-2002, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy
The one and only way Garland and the Sox would have gotten more coverage than they did would have been if he'd no-hit the BoSox.

Actually, in that case, he should have gotten tons more coverage. It would have been interesting to see how they handled that.

But, while Garland pitched great, better than Prior even, its not the bigger story. Even adding to it the fact that the Sox got back into first with the win over the best team in the league doesn't make it a bigger story. As Sox fans, we hate it, but that's the truth of it. Does Prior warrant the kind of coverage that he's getting? Hell no!!! But he's the bigger story today.

I said it yesterday that Cub fans would write Jesus out of the bible if he looked good. He did, and they are. Stupid bastards. Sometime this afternoon, they'll be reminded that the Cubs still suck ass.

The one and only reason he was the bigger story today was because of the team he plays for. Everyone has been itching to write about this game for weeks. The Sox could have had Jesus himself come down and pitch a no-hitter against the Red Sox and Prior still would have been a bigger story. Nevermind that the Cubs are in last and the Sox in first. Forget that the Sox just took 2 of 3 from the best team in baseball in their home field while the Cubs barely managed a split agianst a team that's under .500 with hardly any offense. Look past Garland retiring 26 of the first 27 batters he faced. Do you really think that if the Twins would have taken Prior instead of that catcher they took and it was his first start up there he would have had this much media coverage? I sure don't.

Kilroy
05-23-2002, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

The one and only reason he was the bigger story today was because of the team he plays for. Everyone has been itching to write about this game for weeks. The Sox could have had Jesus himself come down and pitch a no-hitter against the Red Sox and Prior still would have been a bigger story. Nevermind that the Cubs are in last and the Sox in first. Forget that the Sox just took 2 of 3 from the best team in baseball in their home field while the Cubs barely managed a split agianst a team that's under .500 with hardly any offense. Look past Garland retiring 26 of the first 27 batters he faced. Do you really think that if the Twins would have taken Prior instead of that catcher they took and it was his first start up there he would have had this much media coverage? I sure don't.

I see you understand my point.

duke of dorwood
05-23-2002, 10:06 AM
The little bit that I watched i noticed he was missing the catcher's target often and benefitted from a generous strike zone. It wasnt up to the hype, from what I saw.

cheeses_h_rice
05-23-2002, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
The little bit that I watched i noticed he was missing the catcher's target often and benefitted from a generous strike zone. It wasnt up to the hype, from what I saw.

I was at the game for 3 innings, and sat almost directly behind home plate, and I thought the ump was calling a lot of outside the zone pitches as strikes.

Plus, the Pirates were swinging at EVERYTHING.

He certainly wasn't dominant in the first 3 innings. He beaned a guy, and the Pirates had runners threatening most of the time.

But, I've turned on my blinders to the Prior story. The Cubs are still a lousy 12 games under .500 and 11 games behind the Reds. The Sox, meanwhile, are tied for first place, Jon Garland finally pitched a true gem, and they just beat the best team in baseball at one of the hardest parks for a visitor to win at 2 out of 3 times. THAT to me is real front page news.

Soxboyrob
05-23-2002, 10:18 AM
We're not going to change the media or any perceived bias. Let's just be happy. We're in first. The Cubs are on the train to Loozerville. Garland looked great. Wright looked great. Buehrle is very good. Ritchie is good. We can complain until the cows come home and the Cuddlies will still get more press. Period. We've got a lot to be happy about. Let Cub fans have their fun w/ their new "best pitcher in the history of baseball." My point earlier is that I think we sound embittered when we make a continual point of crying about the media bias. We might make the playoffs this year. The Cubs won't. 'Nuff said.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-23-2002, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
The one and only reason he was the bigger story today was because of the team he plays for....

Actually, the reason Prior was the bigger story today was THAT'S WHERE THE REPORTERS WERE STATIONED!

Everyone anticipated this big start and had their staff positioned at Wrigley to report the news. Get a clue a people; there is no news unless someone is there to report it.

Jon Garland and Danny Wright could each have thrown no-hitters in Boston the past two nights, and the media would still have given Mark Prior's debut a bigger splash in the newspaper. They didn't have anyone in Boston to cover the Sox besides the usual motley crew of beat writers, Sullivan, Padilla, and Crowley.

Get a clue!

I'm reminded of the night Buster Douglas punched out Mike Tyson for the heavyweight crown. That same night, Bob Costas was doing his usual whoring for NBC's NBA coverage--calling the latest tilt the biggest game of the season. IIRC, it was the NBA slam dunk contest before the all-star game. Anyway, it was utterly forgettable. That didn't stop Costas from describing it like it was the battle of the apocalypse.

Meanwhile, HBO's announcer was utterly stumped for what to say about what he had just witnessed. He finally allowed, "Well, this might be the greatest upset in history of boxing."

I'm also reminded of Wilt Chamberlain scoring 100 points in Hershey, PA--but nobody was there to cover it. LOL!!! Maybe the Cubs were playing the Pirates that night, too!!!!

McLuhan was right. "The medium is the message." A tree falling in the forest makes no noise unless someone is there typing into a laptop or talking into a microphone.

Iwritecode
05-23-2002, 10:46 AM
We're not going to change the media or any perceived bias. Let's just be happy. We're in first. The Cubs are on the train to Loozerville. Garland looked great. Wright looked great. Buehrle is very good. Ritchie is good. We can complain until the cows come home and the Cuddlies will still get more press. Period. We've got a lot to be happy about. Let Cub fans have their fun w/ their new "best pitcher in the history of baseball." My point earlier is that I think we sound embittered when we make a continual point of crying about the media bias. We might make the playoffs this year. The Cubs won't. 'Nuff said.

One of the reasons it angers me is because it's media bias like this that affects the attendance at Comiskey. The media touts this guy as the best thing since sliced bread and suddenly everyone and their brother is a Cubs "fan". Meanwhile, 8 miles south, the Sox play real baseball and win the division yet nobody notices because Prior just moved the team within 12 games of .500. It's the casual fans that the Sox need to drive up the attendance. All the casual fans read or hear about is Cubs, Cubs, Cubs. Gee, which park do you think they will more likely visit?

Iwritecode
05-23-2002, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy

I see you understand my point.

Yea, Prior is the bigger story, even though in reality, he should be second page news. But we all know that Chicago media has no sense of reality...

LuvChiSox
05-23-2002, 11:11 AM
Since we're all pretty p-o'd right now, I thought this would be a good time to pull out some kubbie koolaid and offer a few swigs of it.
From the scrubbie message boards, re last night's game:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
In a way it was disappointing to see how hard they played... why couldn't they play that hard the previous 40 games?>>
I know. Absolute garbage. Where were their heads the first 40 games of the season???

RIDICULOUS!!!

And for all you mathematicians out there, for this team to win 86 games this year, we have to go 70-48 the rest of the way.

I DON'T SEE IT HAPPENING.

Are you saying its impossible?
The Cubs have a team that CAN.
All they really need to do is start hitting.
If they do..and I believe they can..
They will do it.

Take a long look at the oakland A's last season. By the all star breal they were counted out. by everyone. Then they turned it around and werein the playoffs and was one slide away from meeting the Mariners for the pennant. Lets face it the Cubs are lucky right now because St louis and Houston are playing not so
great baseball look at there records. Houston is under 500 and St louis is barely over 500. True Mcgriff and Alou need to wake up but with Prior in the rotation now the Cubs need to get rid of Bere and try to make a run at it. On paper they have one of the best lineups now they just need to make paper become reality!

Amen...they do. I think if McGriff continues to hit the way he has the last few games and Alou begins to come on. The Cubs will be fine.
The division isn't exactly tearing it up now. The Cubs record might look horrid. But what matters is..they have approx 10 games to make up. Its not how many games it takes to to win 86 or so.
What counts in this league is how many games you are up against your foes.
Givin 4 months of baseball left and 10 games back. They have plenty of time to catch up.
Yes..the Cubs look deadly on paper and can you imagine once their guys get healty the kinda lineup we'll have.

Patterson
Hill (will come around, needs a few more games to get settled in)
Sosa
McGriff (coming around)
Alou (will come around)
Gonzo (will be back this weekend)
Mueller (will come around considering he hasn't played practically in a year)
Girardi (Hitting better)

Prior
Wood
Lieber
Cruz
Clements

Bull pen
Farnsy
Mayhay
Borowski ( or whatever)
Flash
Alfosanca

I love the lineup and bullpen.

The hitting continues to waken and get these guys healthy.
We will tear holy hell in NL .

voodoochile
05-23-2002, 11:26 AM
*****!!!

David Lynch couldn't have said it better... Too f'n funny...

Clarkdog
05-23-2002, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

I was at the game for 3 innings, and sat almost directly behind home plate, and I thought the ump was calling a lot of outside the zone pitches as strikes.

Plus, the Pirates were swinging at EVERYTHING.

He certainly wasn't dominant in the first 3 innings. He beaned a guy, and the Pirates had runners threatening most of the time.

I was at Wrigley for Prior's debut as well, and when I wasn't checking the Sox box score, stunned at the potential gem that Garland was throwing, I did pay attention to Prior.

The reason he's the top story is the signing bonus that tabbed him as the most anticipated pitching prospect ever. That started the buzz and it hasn't stopped. Personally, I could care less. He has to deliver now, and he's got nothing to lose as the Cubs are so far out of it.

As for his skill, no doubt, he is one of the better pitchers in the MLB right now. Not up there with Randy Johnson, but more on the line of A.J. Burnett. He walks the mound like he owns it. He was getting the high strike and a generous corner last night, and he used them, and that speaks to his command of pitches. But he does make mistakes in the zone often. Probably why the Pirates were swinging so much. The Pirates just couldn't take advantage, because they don't know Prior's stuff, and so they were guessing that Prior would eventually leave a pitch out over the plate. But they were settling in and getting comfortable in the box against him. Not like a befuddled team that faces Pedro Martinez when he is on. A real test will be a game against the Giants, D-Backs, Astros, Cards or our Sox.

A good player to build around, but still only one piece toward building a championship team, that has so many other pieces missing.

The Cubs have a diamond in Prior that they will have to pay dearly for today and in the future that may affect their ability to fill other needs. But the Sox have a handful of gems in Buehrle, Wright, Garland, Rauch, etc. that they developed themselves and shouldn't cost them thier future to stay competitive and in contention.

Garrison
05-23-2002, 02:09 PM
That Flubbie mesage board quote was hilarious. Sooo funny omg! They are retarded. Well McGriff is hitting and everyone else (who isn't) will come around. LOL! No way bud! No way in hell the Cubs will even make it interesting. I could go on but it's too funny. ahahahahahaha oh brother........ :cool:

doctor30th
05-23-2002, 02:16 PM
I did like that on baseball tonight Rob Dibble was not impressed with Prior's outing.

voodoochile
05-23-2002, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by doctor30th
I did like that on baseball tonight Rob Dibble was not impressed with Prior's outing.

From what I saw, he tends to hang his curve ball, but it does have a nice break to it, so it will depend on if/when hitters decide to stand in and take their chances, but if the do, look out Waveland...