PDA

View Full Version : Who the heck is going to lead off!!!!

longtimesoxguy
01-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Anyone have any idea's?

spawn
01-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Jim Thome...possibly Paul Konerko as well.

soxfan43
01-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Looks like it'll be the great Jerry Owens.

voodoochile
01-09-2009, 12:54 PM
No one, the Sox are going to go with 8 batters and take an automatic out everytime the leadoff slot comes up. That's better than JO, Wise or Getz for sure...

Law11
01-09-2009, 12:56 PM

I second that... :bandance:

longtimesoxguy
01-09-2009, 12:58 PM
No one, the Sox are going to go with 8 batters and take an automatic out everytime the leadoff slot comes up. That's better than JO, Wise or Getz for sure...
If Jerry Owens earns it in AZ. Thats fine but what if he doesn't. I stand firm in saying if OC is getting a 1 yr deal we should match it.

Rocky Soprano
01-09-2009, 01:00 PM
We don't have a lead off hitter and it's ALREADY January 9th! What are we going to do?! :angry:

Jerry should Cell, I mean Sell!

:angry:

Daver
01-09-2009, 01:03 PM
The sox are going to forgo the DH and have the starting pitcher lead off.

spawn
01-09-2009, 01:05 PM
If Jerry Owens earns it in AZ. Thats fine but what if he doesn't. I stand firm in saying if OC is getting a 1 yr deal we should match it.
He wouldn't accept arbitration, what makes you think he'd sign a 1 year deal?

jabrch
01-09-2009, 01:05 PM
I have no idea. I'm just going to crap my pants today and let it sit there for the next 4 months.

kittle42
01-09-2009, 01:06 PM
How many of the same topics can we discuss in 17 different threads?

****ing offseason.

Zisk77
No, who is on first.:tongue:

spawn
I have no idea. I'm just going to crap my pants today and let it sit there for the next 4 months.
I did that after the winter meetings. I'm pretty ripe right now.

spawn
01-09-2009, 01:10 PM
How many of the same topics can we discuss in 17 different threads?

****ing offseason.

:welcome:

thomas35forever
01-09-2009, 01:23 PM
I have heard Ozzie say that Owens is his leadoff guy. Of course he'll have to earn it in ST, but personally, I think he's the fastest guy on our roster right now.

longtimesoxguy
01-09-2009, 01:26 PM
He wouldn't accept arbitration, what makes you think he'd sign a 1 year deal?
You match whatever any other team is willing to offer him. Like him or not we need him.

hi im skot
01-09-2009, 01:28 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_1OMiSrEJXnY/R45frvAVbWI/AAAAAAAAFjI/OBzEhyCjPxw/s400/willie%2Bmays%2Bhayes.jpg

beasly213
01-09-2009, 01:31 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_1OMiSrEJXnY/R45frvAVbWI/AAAAAAAAFjI/OBzEhyCjPxw/s400/willie%2Bmays%2Bhayes.jpg

I second this vote.

longtimesoxguy
01-09-2009, 01:32 PM
I second this vote.
I have no problem with WMH!!!!!!!

spawn
01-09-2009, 01:34 PM
You match whatever any other team is willing to offer him. Like him or not we need him.
You obviously don't understand the question I asked. I'll ask again very slowly...why...would...he...want...to...sign...a.. .contract...when...he...turned...down...abrbitrati on?

downstairs
01-09-2009, 01:40 PM
We don't have a lead off hitter and it's ALREADY January 9th! What are we going to do?! :angry:

Jerry should Cell, I mean Sell!

:angry:

Classic blast from the past.

BainesHOF
01-09-2009, 01:43 PM
It's too bad Owens can't steal first base.

We still need a major-league leadoff hitter.

veeter
01-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Who led off last year? Swisher and OC. Neither very good at it, yet things were o.k. It's still early KW is working on it.

whitesox901
01-09-2009, 01:51 PM
I dont have a problem with Owens Leading off

veeter
01-09-2009, 01:51 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_1OMiSrEJXnY/R45frvAVbWI/AAAAAAAAFjI/OBzEhyCjPxw/s400/willie%2Bmays%2Bhayes.jpgIsn't Lofton retired?

longtimesoxguy
01-09-2009, 01:58 PM
I dont have a problem with Owens Leading off
I hope he makes Ozzie and Kenny have no choice and have to play him. Just like Carlos did last year.

soxinem1
01-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Isn't Lofton retired?

He does resemble him a little, but that is Willie Mays Hayes.

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/PHO/AAGV247-2006StudioPlus~Scott-Podsednik-Posters.jpg

'If you guuys are so worried, I'm available!!!!'

Rocky Soprano
01-09-2009, 02:12 PM
I have heard Ozzie say that Owens is his leadoff guy. Of course he'll have to earn it in ST, but personally, I think he's the fastest guy on our roster right now.

Just because Owens is fast, doesn't mean he knows how to steal bases. Plus, you can't steal 1st.

Marqhead
01-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Just because Owens is fast, doesn't mean he knows how to steal bases. Plus, you can't steal 1st.

In my mind everytime Owens gets to 1st he stole it somehow.

Bucky F. Dent
01-09-2009, 03:04 PM

Note to self, stay away from jabrch for the next four months.

AZChiSoxFan
01-09-2009, 03:05 PM
Yes. But first you must explain to me why who feel an apostrophe goes after the "a" in "ideas." Please, I am begging you for an explanation. No one ever gives me an explanation. You would make my day!

Classic!! LOL!

jabrch
01-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Note to self, stay away from jabrch for the next four months.

:-)

ShoelessJoeS
01-09-2009, 03:46 PM
I have no idea. I'm just going to crap my pants today and let it sit there for the next 4 months.:rolling:

Iwritecode
01-09-2009, 03:52 PM
No, who is on first.:tongue:

Who T. Heck?

I never realized that was his full name.

LITTLE NELL
01-09-2009, 03:54 PM
Owens knows how to steal bases, he had 32 back in 06 in a little over a half a season, What worries me is can he get on base to begin with and his defense is shaky.

Konerko05
01-09-2009, 04:05 PM
It doesn't really matter if Owens is 40/40 in SB. The guy still can't hit, play defense, or throw the ball in a non-embarassing manner.

Sadly, he isn't even that great in the stolen base department. 71% in the minor leagues. He has also battled leg injuries for the last couple years. If his legs aren't 100% healthy, he doesn't have one good attribute.

White City
01-09-2009, 05:41 PM
We need the speed of a Willie Mayes Hayes, but we also need someone with sticky hands to be a plus glove in the field. So I propose Lester Hayes Mayes instead.

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0108/nfl_i_hayes_300.jpg

Lip Man 1
01-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Willie Harris had speed too. Yet he couldn't seem to get on base (in large part because he struck out a ton and couldn't bunt to save his soul) Therefore Willie's speed was useless wasn't it?

The same criteria applies to Owens.

Lip

voodoochile
01-09-2009, 05:52 PM
We need the speed of a Willie Mayes Hayes, but we also need someone with sticky hands to be a plus glove in the field. So I propose Lester Hayes Mayes instead.

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0108/nfl_i_hayes_300.jpg

Wouldn't want to be the catcher who tried to block the plate when Lester was steaming around third...

DumpJerry
01-09-2009, 06:03 PM

That will work. As far as Thome's and Konerko's lack of speed is concerned, Coop can fix them. I say these two are one and two in the order.

It's too bad Owens can't steal first base.
AJ can.

Daver
01-09-2009, 06:06 PM
AJ can.

Jerry Owens isn't smart enough to learn the HBP, no way he would be smart enough to emulate what AJ did.

01-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Jerry Owens isn't smart enough to learn the HBP, no way he would be smart enough to emulate what AJ did.

How smart am I?

Bucky F. Dent
01-09-2009, 07:33 PM
Always been partial to Rutheford B. Hayes, myself.http://www.historyplace.com/specials/calendar/docs-pix/rb-hayes.jpg

PaleHoseGeorge
01-09-2009, 09:30 PM
Who to lead-off the '09 Sox? The answer is as close as ChisoxTony's cellphone.

:wink:

soxwon
01-09-2009, 09:46 PM
Brian roberts or jerry owens

champagne030
01-09-2009, 09:53 PM
Brian roberts or jerry owens

That's not much help. One is a pot of gold for this team and the other is a sack of ****.

Tragg
01-09-2009, 10:45 PM
Who led off last year? Swisher and OC. Neither very good at it, yet things were o.k.
They performed far better than Owens is likely to perform.

Getz or Ramirez

champagne030
01-10-2009, 01:40 AM
They performed far better than Owens is likely to perform.

Getz or Ramirez

You're likely to perform better than Owens. :D:

Owens doesn't have a peter. :bandance:

Nellie_Fox
01-10-2009, 02:09 AM
You're likely to perform better than Owens. :D:

Owens doesn't have a peter. :bandance:What the hell is that supposed to mean? A guy who plays a sport better than 99.99% of the population is less than a man because he isn't better than 99.99999999999%? Try to keep your dislike of him in perspective. If he's done nothing more than not meet your expectations regarding his baseball prowess, denying his masculinity is an incredibly weak thing to do.

And no, Tragg's not likely to perform better than Owens. Anybody who makes it to the bigs is so much better than any of us that it's beyond comprehension.

central44
01-10-2009, 09:00 AM
It really depends on a lot of factors. Apparently scouts noticed something with Lillibridge they thought would be easy to fix, and he does fit the "highly touted prospect who didnt meet expectations" label the Sox have gone after. If he has the speed and wins the starting job over Getz (which I find highly unlikely because Getz has the inside track) then Lillibridge probably leads off, BA gets to play center field and bat 9th, and the team as a whole is probably a lot better off because they add a legit leadoff threat and a great defensive center fielder.

Of course, that's the best case scenario assuming everything works out perfectly. Odds are that Getz (who seems to be a natural fit for the #2 slot) wins the battle, and Owens gets to start and hit leadoff.

Really though, Anderson, Owens, Getz, Lillibridge and Nix need a chance to battle it out before there's even a point in speculating it, because it could all change dramatically based on who outpeforms who. If I had to bet though, i'd say Owens is the opening day center fielder, and Getz is the opening day second baseman.

NLaloosh
01-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Owens knows how to steal bases, he had 32 back in 06 in a little over a half a season, What worries me is can he get on base to begin with and his defense is shaky.

You are so picky. Just because he couldn't hit his way out of a wet paper bag doesn't mean that he doesn't deserve a starting job on a playoff contender and getting the most plate appearances as well.

balke
01-10-2009, 10:54 AM
It's still January right?

Kenny isn't done yet.

If you think about it as it is right now, Jerry Owens. I still think Dye is on his way out for a young player or two. If that happens, I could see the sox swinging for a leadoff hitter. I don't really know what'll happen. I think the Sox are going to try and get a young speedster still though.

DaveFeelsRight
01-10-2009, 11:01 AM
kenny isn't done, dotel wasn't signed until the 22nd of january last year.

NLaloosh
01-10-2009, 11:12 AM
The BEST leadoff hitter that the Sox could REASONABLY get is Bobby Abreu.

He is readily available and wouldn't cost a draft pick. He would likely take a reasonable 2 yr. / $ 20 mil. deal.

His OBP would approach .400 and he has power with lots of extra base hits. He can't run as well as he used to but he can still steal some bases. At the very least the Sox could be certain that they are getting a very good hitter with a very high OBP with some speed.

He could play RF or LF and could move to DH next year after Thome leaves. Plus the defense would be improve by having Anderson in CF.

The Sox just need to unload Dye now for the best young pitcher they can get and move on. Sign Abreu and keep their talenetd young infield crop intact.

These guys like Young, Hudson and even Roberts are all on the wrong side of 30 and not worth a huge salary and long term committment. Especially considering that Gordon Beckham will be ready soon and will be a star.

russ99
01-11-2009, 01:35 PM
The BEST leadoff hitter that the Sox could REASONABLY get is Bobby Abreu.

He is readily available and wouldn't cost a draft pick. He would likely take a reasonable 2 yr. / $ 20 mil. deal.

His OBP would approach .400 and he has power with lots of extra base hits. He can't run as well as he used to but he can still steal some bases. At the very least the Sox could be certain that they are getting a very good hitter with a very high OBP with some speed.

He could play RF or LF and could move to DH next year after Thome leaves. Plus the defense would be improve by having Anderson in CF.

The Sox just need to unload Dye now for the best young pitcher they can get and move on. Sign Abreu and keep their talenetd young infield crop intact.

These guys like Young, Hudson and even Roberts are all on the wrong side of 30 and not worth a huge salary and long term committment. Especially considering that Gordon Beckham will be ready soon and will be a star.

Abreu's not a leadoff guy, he's a 3 or maybe a 2 - if a guy like ARod is hitting in the 3 spot.

How can anyone say that Getz with 12 major league at bats would be a better leadoff man than Owens who did pretty decent job for a half season at the major league level?

I understand the concern with his fielding, but he's the only guy we have who's had some success leading off in the majors.

Also after Owens, Lillibridge is a much better leadoff option than anyone else, based on what he did in the minors - i.e. much better than Getz. Getz had a great AAA season, but look at his earlier numbers, he may or may not be able to hit at that level in the majors.

Ramirez may eventually be a #1 or #2, but he needs to cut down on strikeouts and be more disciplined at the plate, and if we can get a legitimate 1 or 2 hitter, he'd be vastly more valuable at #3.

Metalthrasher442
01-11-2009, 01:48 PM
Abreu's not a leadoff guy, he's a 3 or maybe a 2 - if a guy like ARod is hitting in the 3 spot.

How can anyone say that Getz with 12 major league at bats would be a better leadoff man than Owens who did pretty decent job for a half season at the major league level?

I understand the concern with his fielding, but he's the only guy we have who's had some success leading off in the majors.

Also after Owens, Lillibridge is a much better leadoff option than anyone else, based on what he did in the minors - i.e. much better than Getz. Gets had a great AAA season, but look at his earlier numbers, he may or may not be able to hit at that level in the majors.

Ramirez may eventually be a #1 or #2, but he needs to cut down on strikeouts and be more disciplined at the plate, and if we can get a legitimate 1 or 2 hitter, he'd be vastly more valuable at #3.

I agree ^

I think the two options are Lillibridge and Owens. They will duke it out in spring.