PDA

View Full Version : Thought on Ben Sheets

Mr.1Dog
01-09-2009, 12:21 PM
I had a thought about Ben Sheets. Why couldn't the Sox, or any team for that matter, sign Sheets and designate him to the bullpen ala Kerry Wood? Because of lingering injuries, he wouldn't add as many miles to his arm as he would as a starter. Why not sign him for long relief/ set up roll? If he does well as a set up guy, eventually he could move to a closer position for a team. What are your thoughts on this?

Marqhead
01-09-2009, 12:25 PM
I had a thought about Ben Sheets. Why couldn't the Sox, or any team for that matter, sign Sheets and designate him to the bullpen ala Kerry Wood? Because of lingering injuries, he wouldn't add as many miles to his arm as he would as a starter. Why not sign him for long relief/ set up roll? If he does well as a set up guy, eventually he could move to a closer position for a team. What are your thoughts on this?

I doubt he would accept that role as he has been a starter his whole career.

doublem23
01-09-2009, 12:27 PM
He would be one expensive setup guy.

Mr.1Dog
01-09-2009, 12:27 PM
I doubt he would accept that role as he has been a starter his whole career.

I understand that. But if he doesn't get picked up as a starter, wouldn't he rather be dominant as a relief/ set up guy which wouldn't take a toll on his body as much as being a starter?

Marqhead
01-09-2009, 12:35 PM
I understand that. But if he doesn't get picked up as a starter, wouldn't he rather be dominant as a relief/ set up guy which wouldn't take a toll on his body as much as being a starter?

He will get picked up as a starter. He might not get the deal he wants, but someone will sign him for their rotation.

Konerko05
01-09-2009, 03:47 PM

There is no way Sheets would accept a deal to be designated to the bullpen at this point in his career.

Secondly, I don't think that would be a wise move. He just pitched 198 innings last season. I would give him another season or two to see how his arm holds up.

When healthy, he is one of the best starters in baseball, I'm not sure anyone is willing to give up on that just yet.

JorgeFabregas
01-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Sheets averages, what, 150 innings per year? He's going to be a lot more valuable doing that than pitching 50 innings as a setup guy.

whitesox901
01-09-2009, 05:01 PM
I want Sheets, but as a starter

jabrch
01-09-2009, 05:17 PM
If someone wants to pay him frontline starters money, and move him to the pen, I'm sure he'd listen. But if you are going to pay him that kind of money, you should be starting him.

WhiteSox5187
01-09-2009, 05:23 PM
Sheets averages, what, 150 innings per year? He's going to be a lot more valuable doing that than pitching 50 innings as a setup guy.
You know I think the 162 game average is about 207 IP for him. He's had a couple of more 200 IP years more than Wood.

doublem23
01-09-2009, 05:25 PM
You know I think the 162 game average is about 207 IP for him. He's had a couple of more 200 IP years more than Wood.

The 162-game average is kind of misleading when someone is so chronically injured. Sheets averages just over 178 IP per season, but hasn't topped 200 since 2004 (he came close last year, though).

His 162-game average is 219.2.

Chrisaway
01-10-2009, 01:29 AM
Ben Sheets is "Brewish" for Kerry Wood.

tick53
01-10-2009, 01:00 PM
I say go for it. Use him sparingly as a fifth starter and alternate someone else occasionaly. He's a hard thrower and if he doesn't break down, we could use a guy like Sheets.

DaveFeelsRight
01-10-2009, 01:08 PM
this may be a silly question but, for NL pitchers like sheets who constantly get hurt, does batting in the NL affect their health?

pythons007
01-10-2009, 01:15 PM
There is about a zero percent chance that he accepts anything other than being a starter on someone's team. Sheets had a great season last year, and proved that he can be a top pitcher. He will get picked up and he'll get decent money too!