PDA

View Full Version : Veeck as in Wreck question

white sox bill
01-09-2009, 07:41 AM
After a long time procrastinating, I finally ordered Bill Veeck's autobio from local library. When I picked it up, I swear this thing should be in the book museum. Its so old, its probably the original from 1961 I think. My question is does the later editions have more in the form of updated info like when Bill bought the Sox the 2nd time around? I was looking for more the 70's and into the JR era. Or is this the finished product?

roylestillman
01-09-2009, 07:45 AM
A later edition did add a chapter about the Veeck purchasing the Sox in 1975-76, but did not go beyond that.

eastchicagosoxfan
01-09-2009, 07:53 AM
My 2001 edition has a forward by Bob Verdi dated 2000, as well as an afterward but I'm not sure who authored it. The afterward covers his second time around.

tebman
01-09-2009, 09:27 AM
The copy I have is a paperback version published around 1977. The book was written in 1961-62, and the edition I have includes an epilogue that tells the story of his experience buying the Sox the second time in 1975. The epilogue was originally a long article in Sports Illustrated from 1976 that was included in that 1977 edition of the book.

The more recent editions have added forwards by Bob Verdi and maybe others. I don't know how many re-issues there have been of the book. It's still a great read after 47 years.

white sox bill
01-09-2009, 09:44 AM
The library it was borrowed from needs to replace it. Maybe I will buy a copy and donate it. The one I have looks like a Bible and everytime I turn a page, I pray I don't pull it out of binding.

Guess I can read orginal one and go to bookstore and read ther added chapters. But that would make me a tighta**!:o: