PDA

View Full Version : Xavier Nady....

getonbckthr
01-08-2009, 05:06 PM
Does he do anything for ya if we were to trade Dye for pitching? He has 1 year left on his contract. I'm not sure what he would bring us as far as draft picks following 09 but I would imagine it wouldn't cost much to get him from the Yanks.

Craig Grebeck
01-08-2009, 05:06 PM
Does he do anything for ya if we were to trade Dye for pitching? He has 1 year left on his contract. I'm not sure what he would bring us as far as draft picks following 09 but I would imagine it wouldn't cost much to get him from the Yanks.
No. He's awfully mediocre.

getonbckthr
01-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Oops link to story:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=22&entry_id=34343

whitesox901
01-08-2009, 05:09 PM

I wouldn't mind the X-MAN on the South Side

...Church Elder

nug0hs
01-08-2009, 05:22 PM
Solid hitter, and we are in a hitter's park...

I say yes.

01-08-2009, 06:34 PM
No. He's awfully mediocre.

Similar to your insight on just about anything.

Craig Grebeck
01-08-2009, 06:37 PM
Similar to your insight on just about anything.
This is very germane, and mature.

Sorry, I don't dig Xavier Nady. Simply, last year was pretty out of the ordinary for him. He's a solid platoon partner, the kind of guy who can play 100 games in RF/LF/DH but I don't think he's good enough to be an everyday guy.

champagne030
01-08-2009, 07:10 PM

Sorry, I don't dig Xavier Nady. Simply, last year was pretty out of the ordinary for him. He's a solid platoon partner, the kind of guy who can play 100 games in RF/LF/DH but I don't think he's good enough to be an everyday guy.

Meh, we're rebuilding and have platoon guys at 2B, 3B and CF. One more isn't going to break the season.

Jurr
01-08-2009, 08:04 PM

Ummm...take it from someone that saw a good bit of Xavier Nady last year in Pittsburgh. He is legit. He was awfully good last year. Sorry to burst your bubble, but there are players in every sport at every level that finally "get it" and go on to have great careers. What is it about Nady? He doesn't generate enough bat speed for you? Oh, no. It's probably the fact that the numbers on his baseball card improved, and there's JUST NO POSSIBLE WAY that the guy could've just fundamentally improved as a hitter. Nah, human beings are defined strictly by past performance, right? Bah.

doublem23
01-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Ummm...take it from someone that saw a good bit of Xavier Nady last year in Pittsburgh. He is legit. He was awfully good last year. Sorry to burst your bubble, but there are players in every sport at every level that finally "get it" and go on to have great careers. What is it about Nady? He doesn't generate enough bat speed for you? Oh, no. It's probably the fact that the numbers on his baseball card improved, and there's JUST NO POSSIBLE WAY that the guy could've just fundamentally improved as a hitter. Nah, human beings are defined strictly by past performance, right? Bah.

He was pretty pedestrian in 60 games with the Yankees though (.268/.320/.474).

Probably just caught lightning in a bottle with Pitt.

Jurr
01-08-2009, 08:13 PM
He was pretty pedestrian in 60 games with the Yankees though (.268/.320/.474).

Probably just caught lightning in a bottle with Pitt.
Well, you'd have to figure that a reason why most hitters not named Manny Ramirez have degrees of success is the fact that they learn the pitchers in their league.

01-08-2009, 09:01 PM
The White Sox aren't going to trade for Nady, he's a Boras client and they certainly don't want to deal with Boras with his client one year away from free agency. It's too complicated. Further, there are a number of veteran OF's on the market if the White Sox choose to bring someone in.

getonbckthr
01-08-2009, 09:28 PM
The White Sox aren't going to trade for Nady, he's a Boras client and they certainly don't want to deal with Boras with his client one year away from free agency. It's too complicated. Further, there are a number of veteran OF's on the market if the White Sox choose to bring someone in.
If anything a Boras client for one year is perfect for the Sox. Boras won't let him accept arbitration there for we would get a pick when he leaves.

LoveYourSuit
01-08-2009, 10:00 PM
If anything a Boras client for one year is perfect for the Sox. Boras won't let him accept arbitration there for we would get a pick when he leaves.

I find it amazing that we on this board have become overly obsessed with baseball draft picks. For a team which has drafted bust after bust in the higher rounds, I would not be getting all giddy about draft picks. The Cabrera "arbitration watch" and "FA status" is becoming ridiculous.

Can't wait when Kenny piles up all these picks and goes away from drafting Boras' clients ..... all hell will break lose on this board.

Marqhead
01-08-2009, 10:02 PM
I find it amazing that we on this board have become overly obsessed with baseball draft picks. For a team which has drafted bust after bust in the higher rounds, I would not be getting all giddy about draft picks. The Cabrera "arbitration watch" and "FA status" is becoming ridiculous.

Can't wait when Kenny piles up all these picks and goes away from drafting Boras' clients ..... all hell will break lose on this board.

I disagree with almost everything you say, just not publicly :D:.

I am in total agreement with this statement. This isn't the NFL, draft picks are largely a crap shoot, and considering the recent drafting of the Sox I am amazed at the frenzy people on this board have about getting picks from FAs.

The fact that picks has become the reason to sign someone is ridiculous.

Madscout
01-08-2009, 10:14 PM

I am in total agreement with this statement. This isn't the NFL, draft picks are largely a crap shoot, and considering the recent drafting of the Sox I am amazed at the frenzy people on this board have about getting picks from FAs.

They seem to get us stuff when we trade them away.

getonbckthr
01-08-2009, 10:20 PM
They seem to get us stuff when we trade them away.
Ultimately thats how I see. Stock piling picks gets you pieces to trade. People bitch about having no farm system. Well here is a way to do it. Sure we will be giving pieces to get Nady but I feel the pieces we get back will be as good if not better plus it would open the door to move Dye to get young pitching.

rdivaldi
01-08-2009, 10:40 PM

Because Boras controls all of the best college and high school players? I don't want to rag on you man, but this act is getting old.

drewcifer
01-08-2009, 10:54 PM

I could be wrong but I think you missed the point. Cabrera and (Dye next year, etc.) for picks won't help us. We draft like **** when getting the opportunity to draft high. Other teams don't (Yankees do very well, for example), but we do and usually have extremely POOR results. Even with a high pick opportunity.

Therefore, sign FAs. Also, any top rounder in the draft WILL BE a Boras client. That was the other point. Boras is way better at scouting talent than most baseball teams and as long as we don't deal with him... it's another hindrance to building toward a successful team.

rdivaldi
01-08-2009, 11:00 PM
I could be wrong but I think you missed the point. Cabrera and (Dye next year, etc.) for picks won't help us. We draft like **** when getting the opportunity to draft high. Other teams don't (Yankees do very well, for example), but we do and usually have extremely POOR results. Even with a high pick opportunity.

Therefore, sign FAs. Also, any top rounder in the draft WILL BE a Boras client. That was the other point. Boras is way better at scouting talent than most baseball teams and as long as we don't deal with him... it's another hindrance to building toward a successful team.

Uh, when was this "high" pick opportunity. Beckham and.... :?:

oeo
01-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Meh, we're rebuilding and have platoon guys at 2B, 3B and CF. One more isn't going to break the season.

Who said it would break the season?

Getz, Fields, and Anderson are all organizational guys. We would have to give something up to acquire Nady. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, especially since we're going young.

drewcifer
01-08-2009, 11:08 PM
What happened to my post? Broadway, Anderson, Ring, ...Fields... they were all first round picks. They all have been "meh" or busts.

*Edit - And, unlike other teams, unable to attract talent through trade, obviously

rdivaldi
01-08-2009, 11:09 PM
Broadway, Fields, Anderson, Ring.... Any of them lighting the world on fire?????????

All of those guys were drafted in the middle or end of the first round. "High picks" are guys drafted in the first 10-12 of the first round. If you were to say we have done a bad job in the first round, then I'd agree with you.

Sorry man, just semantics. I also wouldn't give up on the first 3 you mentioned, they're all still rather young.

drewcifer
01-08-2009, 11:12 PM
All of those guys were drafted in the middle or end of the first round. "High picks" are guys drafted in the first 10-12 of the first round. If you were to say we have done a bad job in the first round, then I'd agree with you.

Sorry man, just semantics. I also wouldn't give up on the first 3 you mentioned, they're all still rather young.

We have them all STILL except Ring (and not one starter). Every one. That means we suck. We can't even draft a prospect worth a netting in trade. Also, the latest I listed I think goes back to 05....

rdivaldi
01-08-2009, 11:13 PM
*Edit - And, unlike other teams, unable to attract talent through trade, obviously

:?: You mean like Carlos Quentin and John Danks?

rdivaldi
01-08-2009, 11:14 PM
We have them all STILL except Ring. Every one. That means we suck. We can't even draft a prospect worth a netting in trade. Also, the latest I listed I think goes back to 05....

Right, because they all have talent. I'm no Anderson fan, but I can admit that he plays stellar defense. I'm no fan of Broadway either, but the kid shows some flashes. I like Fields.

drewcifer
01-08-2009, 11:16 PM
Right, because they all have talent. I'm no Anderson fan, but I can admit that he plays stellar defense. I'm no fan of Broadway either, but the kid shows some flashes. I like Fields.

Not one starter.

Anwyay, you asked for 1st round choices, I listed. None are good enough to even start on the White Sox. So what is your point? Boras is a great talent evaluator. You can't possibly disagree.

champagne030
01-08-2009, 11:19 PM
Who said it would break the season?

Getz, Fields, and Anderson are all organizational guys. We would have to give something up to acquire Nady. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, especially since we're going young.

Broadway for Nady? Someone to pay Nady be might all the Yanks are looking for in return?

It was brought up they we cannot replace Dye with Nady because Nady is a platoon player. Why not really go young and possibly trade Dye for a dart and still be the tallest midget in the Central?

rdivaldi
01-08-2009, 11:27 PM
Not one starter.

Anwyay, you asked for 1st round choices, I listed. None are good enough to even start on the White Sox. So what is your point? Boras is a great talent evaluator. You can't possibly disagree.

Fields and/or Anderson might be starting in 2009. They are both very talented athletes, we'll see what happens.

I asked for "high picks", you gave me late/middle 1st rounders (semantics). Boras isn't a great talent evaluator, he's a bulldog negotiator so players seek him out. How many of his clients were drafted in the first round of the 2008 draft? 2? You don't need Scott Boras clients, his influence is vastly overrated.

drewcifer
01-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Fields and/or Anderson might be starting in 2009. They are both very talented athletes, we'll see what happens.

I asked for "high picks", you gave me late/middle 1st rounders (semantics). Boras isn't a great talent evaluator, he's a bulldog negotiator so players seek him out. How many of his clients were drafted in the first round of the 2008 draft? 2? You don't need Scott Boras clients, his influence is vastly overrated.

He evaluates and reps the players who are likely to get drafted. Even 2 is great in one round.... How many total? I don't have this info....

How many did he represent? While we're at it, how many players that got contracts through draft did he represent? I bet it's multiple times past the next closest single agent....

getonbckthr
01-08-2009, 11:43 PM
Scott Boras in my opinion has lost some steam. As far as past 1st round picks isn't that the reason for organizational overhaul in the minors because of lack of developement and poor drafting since Kenny jumped to the big league team?

Craig Grebeck
01-08-2009, 11:46 PM
History is firmly on my side. He won't replicate his numbers in Pittsburgh over the course of a full season.
Well, you'd have to figure that a reason why most hitters not named Manny Ramirez have degrees of success is the fact that they learn the pitchers in their league.
True. Did it really take him that long?

LoveYourSuit
01-08-2009, 11:46 PM
Because Boras controls all of the best college and high school players? I don't want to rag on you man, but this act is getting old.

What act is getting old?

The act of fans bashing other fans who don't sit with their White Sox Pom Poms 24/7?

Not that you would care what my original point was, but here we go again:

People want these draft picks but then they will get mad and Kenny and the Sox the minute they don't draft a Boras client. That's it.

rdivaldi
01-08-2009, 11:49 PM
He evaluates and reps the players who are likely to get drafted. Even 2 is great in one round.... How many total? I don't have this info....

How many did he represent? While we're at it, how many players that got contracts through draft did he represent? I bet it's multiple times past the next closest single agent....

But don't you figure that if he represents 2, that leaves 30 more worthy of the first round? I'm not saying that he doesn't represent great players, but it's not like he has 10 top guys in every draft.

oeo
01-08-2009, 11:51 PM
What act is getting old?

Probably that one where you bitch, bitch, bitch about everything. You must be pretty damn miserable if everything pisses you off.

LoveYourSuit
01-08-2009, 11:54 PM
Probably that one where you bitch, bitch, bitch about everything. You must be pretty damn miserable if everything pisses you off.

Not everything pisses me off.

The new ramp being built on 35th street has me very excited and I have mentioned it more than once.

But I'm glad everyone worries about my misery.

rdivaldi
01-08-2009, 11:56 PM
What act is getting old?

Your over the top bashing. Look I understand that you're not crazy about the offseason, but there's a limit to bashing (and cheerleading for that matter). You're so invested in your displeasure at this point that you're willing to alienate yourself.

I'm not crazy about the offseason to date, but there's a certain point to which I will voice it. I'm not satisfied with our 4th and 5th starters, I'm not happy with the situation in CF, I'm worried about our situation at 2b. But that's not a reason to post on multiple threads a day with wild rants.

I didn't want to call you out, but I see your username on multiple threads saying the same thing and escalating the discussion to levels that leave rational thinking behind. It gets old, sorry man.

getonbckthr
01-08-2009, 11:58 PM

The new ramp being built on 35th street has me very excited and I have mentioned it more than once.

We're not worried about your misery just worried about it bringing us down as well.:D:

drewcifer
01-09-2009, 12:01 AM
But don't you figure that if he represents 2, that leaves 30 more worthy of the first round? I'm not saying that he doesn't represent great players, but it's not like he has 10 top guys in every draft.

Sure, at least. How many of those did he rep too? The 2 we're talking about were just those that were drafted/signed.

LoveYourSuit
01-09-2009, 12:04 AM
We're not worried about your misery just worried about it bringing us down as well.:D:

Hey, I just talked a guy off the ledge on another thread who has us pencilled in as a 3rd place team. I said with a 200 IP 4.20 ERA guy plus a lead off hitter.... we are instant contenders again.

drewcifer
01-09-2009, 12:07 AM
Hey, I just talked a guy off the ledge on another thread who has us pencilled in as a 3rd place team. I said with a 200 IP 4.20 ERA guy plus a lead off hitter.... we are instant contenders again.

Don't have to justify yourself as a fan... This has been a pathetic offseason THUS FAR for KW considering he's defending his division. No question about it, rah-rah **** aside.

getonbckthr
01-09-2009, 12:10 AM
That was me and I still feel like we are a 3rd palce team.

LoveYourSuit
01-09-2009, 12:18 AM
That was me and I still feel like we are a 3rd palce team.

:darkclouds:

I always wanted to do that. :tongue:

oeo
01-09-2009, 02:38 AM

Who's worried? It's hard to ignore your incessant whining.

LoveYourSuit
01-09-2009, 10:53 AM
Who's worried? It's hard to ignore your incessant whining.

Incessant whinning = anytime someone says something negative about the Sox.

It's called "opinion."

Learn to respect them for once.

kittle42
01-09-2009, 11:26 AM

It's called "opinion."

Learn to respect them for once.

In his defense, though, as soon as you see LYS is the poster, there is a 95% chance the post will be completely negative and critical. Hence the stereotype.

At least I'm still stuck in the 70% range.

getonbckthr
01-09-2009, 12:34 PM
:darkclouds:

I always wanted to do that. :tongue:
I'm just giving my honest opinion. All because I think we are a 3rd place team doesn't mean i'm upse or anything. Like if I was a Yankee fan seeing my team as still 3rd best I would be upset because we are getting older and worse. Our Sox are a 3rd place team but getting younger and better.

LoveYourSuit
01-09-2009, 12:39 PM
I'm just giving my honest opinion. All because I think we are a 3rd place team doesn't mean i'm upse or anything. Like if I was a Yankee fan seeing my team as still 3rd best I would be upset because we are getting older and worse. Our Sox are a 3rd place team but getting younger and better.

Younger, I agree.

Better, the jury will be out on that.

oeo
01-09-2009, 12:45 PM

No, it's not. I'd really wish you would stop this, 'I can't say anything negative about the Sox' crap. It's not true. The only problem with you, is you're constantly doing it, with just about everything. I don't know if it's just an act, or all this crap really does piss you off. If it's the latter, maybe you should put things in perspective a bit and stop letting everything get to you.

LoveYourSuit
01-09-2009, 06:24 PM
No, it's not. I'd really wish you would stop this, 'I can't say anything negative about the Sox' crap. It's not true. The only problem with you, is you're constantly doing it, with just about everything. I don't know if it's just an act, or all this crap really does piss you off. If it's the latter, maybe you should put things in perspective a bit and stop letting everything get to you.

You are so obsessed with me it is starting to get creepy.

Dan Mega
01-09-2009, 06:26 PM
You are so obsessed with me it is starting to get creepy.

When he asks you out, let him down easy will ya?