PDA

View Full Version : Hoffman signs with Brewers

thedudeabides
01-08-2009, 10:07 AM
According to Buster Olney. 1yr with an option. No financial terms

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3818472

esbrechtel
01-08-2009, 10:22 AM
Interesting move. Too bad they lost so much starting pitching...

FedEx227
01-08-2009, 10:25 AM
I still think they'll be alright.

They didn't have Gallardo at all last year.

As of now their rotation looks like Gallardo - Parra - Bush - Suppan - Capuano/McClung/Villanueva, that's still not terrible.

palehozenychicty
01-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Hoffman has put up great stats during his career with grace, but he's been really shaky in the latest pennant races, and the NL Central figures to be tight again. If they can find a good set-up man to groom as a closer, then I'd like the move even more.

kittle42
01-08-2009, 10:33 AM
I still think they'll be alright.

They didn't have Gallardo at all last year.

As of now their rotation looks like Gallardo - Parra - Bush - Suppan - Capuano/McClung/Villanueva, that's still not terrible.

That's three pretty bad spots.

FedEx227
01-08-2009, 10:36 AM
Villaneuva is pretty solid, the Bush/Suppan/Capuano hole is a complete mess though.

I really think people are over-valuing what Sheets meant to this team. It's great that he was awesome when he pitched and I loved what he did, but with his injury history you just can't trust him over the course of a full season.

thomas35forever
01-08-2009, 10:56 AM
This should automatically make him the best closer in the NL Central since Marmol hasn't had a full season in the closer's role yet.

kittle42
01-08-2009, 11:01 AM
This should automatically make him the best closer in the NL Central since Marmol hasn't had a full season in the closer's role yet.

Hmm...Hoffman was iffy last year. I'd still take Marmol 10 times out of 10.

doublem23
01-08-2009, 11:07 AM
aaaaaaaaaaargh why didn't kenny sign him, the guy's got 554 career saves, he would have been a great pick up for our bullpen, then we could have traded jenks before his salary balloons, kw doesn't know what he's doing, the sox raised ticket prices, they should be signing every single free agent on the market, I'M SO MUCH SMARTER THAN OUR FRONT OFFICE, I'M GOING TO GO HOME AND KILL MYSELF.

spawn
01-08-2009, 11:30 AM
aaaaaaaaaaargh why didn't kenny sign him, the guy's got 554 career saves, he would have been a great pick up for our bullpen, then we could have traded jenks before his salary balloons, kw doesn't know what he's doing, the sox raised ticket prices, they should be signing every single free agent on the market, I'M SO MUCH SMARTER THAN OUR FRONT OFFICE, I'M GOING TO GO HOME AND KILL MYSELF.
:rolling:

hi im skot
01-08-2009, 11:32 AM

Yep.

thedudeabides
01-08-2009, 11:44 AM
Villaneuva is pretty solid, the Bush/Suppan/Capuano hole is a complete mess though.

I really think people are over-valuing what Sheets meant to this team. It's great that he was awesome when he pitched and I loved what he did, but with his injury history you just can't trust him over the course of a full season.

Villaneuva has never started more than 9 games. He will probably be in the bullpen again next year. If I was a Brewer fan, that rotation would scare the hell out of me. I can't see them competing for the division with that staff.

LoveYourSuit
01-08-2009, 11:45 AM

You had one good post on the other thread about OC going to the A's and then I read this one.......... what a shame.

doublem23
01-08-2009, 11:48 AM
You had one good post on the other thread about OC going to the A's and then I read this one.......... what a shame.

Are you really heartbroken the Sox didn't sign a guy struggling to hold onto leads in PETCO Park?

P.S., that still means I'm batting .500.

hi im skot
01-08-2009, 11:50 AM
you had one good post on the other thread about oc going to the a's and then i read this one.......... What a shame.

lol

LoveYourSuit
01-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Are you really heartbroken the Sox didn't sign a guy struggling to hold onto leads in PETCO Park?

P.S., that still means I'm batting .500.

50/50 is not bad.... flip of coin. :cool:

Not heartbroken about Hoffman, I think he is done. Actually, the Sox bullpen right now is our biggest strengthing going into the season along with our 3-4-5-6 hitters (as long as Dye is not moved).

dickallen15
01-08-2009, 12:57 PM
30-34 in save opportunities in 2008. Exactly the same as Bobby Jenks. The previous 5 seasons he was over 40 saves each time.

kittle42
01-08-2009, 02:03 PM
30-34 in save opportunities in 2008. Exactly the same as Bobby Jenks. The previous 5 seasons he was over 40 saves each time.

He lost a bunch last year. I watched him a lot on TV and followed him closely because of fantasy baseball. Give me Marmol. Or Jenks.

whitesox901
01-08-2009, 02:09 PM
What? Theyre not going to resign Gagne?