PDA

View Full Version : Smoltz to sign with Red Sox

Sockinchisox
01-07-2009, 11:10 PM
http://hotstove.mlblogs.com/archives/2009/01/smoltz_expected_to_sign_with_r.html

whitesox901
01-07-2009, 11:13 PM
intersting, I thought he would end up in Detroit

BadBobbyJenks
01-07-2009, 11:24 PM
If Henry would have not cried poor and signed Teixiera, that team would look unbeatable on paper.

DSpivack
01-07-2009, 11:24 PM
Nearly 20 years with the same team, would have liked to see him stay in Atlanta. Also, I've always liked him, but now he's a Red Sox, oh well.

Mr. White Sox
01-08-2009, 12:17 AM
That they signed him for only 5.5 million (10 million with incentives) is ridiculous. That the White Sox or 10 other teams didn't sign him (for more money) means one of two things: either he is SUCH a risk with the shoulder that it would be laughable to throw 5.5 million at a 41 year old (possible, but unlikely given the current state of the White Sox rotation), or he pulled a Gary Payton/Karl Malone-to-the-Lakers move and signed for less money with one of the best teams in the AL.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-08-2009, 12:47 AM
My offer to him would've been better...

yeh... no way smoltzie takes a MLC.
I truthfully think my offer would stick lol.
guarantee him $3mill. incentives:
$500k per 50 IP (or 10k per IP) as a member of the white sox
$100k per victory earned as a member of the white sox
$1mill if the white sox make the postseason and he's on the postseason roster
$1mill per postseason victory earned on the white sox
$2mill if he finishes top 3 in AL Cy Young voting as a member of the white sox
$2mill on top of the other $2 mill above if he wins the AL Cy Young as a member of the white sox

So he can go 18-8, start 30 games, pitch 180 innings, help us get to the postseason, win 3 games in the postseason, finish 2nd in the cy young voting, and earn himself $12.6mm. Come on Smoltzie.... doooo ittt :redneck

thomas35forever
01-08-2009, 01:07 AM
God, I wish the days where players played their entire careers with one team were back.

Craig Grebeck
01-08-2009, 01:11 AM
God, I wish the days where players played their entire careers with one team were back.
That was terrible for baseball.

Boondock Saint
01-08-2009, 03:59 AM
I ****ing hate Boston. Is there anything they won't ruin for me?

itsnotrequired
01-08-2009, 06:37 AM
That they signed him for only 5.5 million (10 million with incentives) is ridiculous. That the White Sox or 10 other teams didn't sign him (for more money) means one of two things: either he is SUCH a risk with the shoulder that it would be laughable to throw 5.5 million at a 41 year old (possible, but unlikely given the current state of the White Sox rotation), or he pulled a Gary Payton/Karl Malone-to-the-Lakers move and signed for less money with one of the best teams in the AL.

Eh, there is a host of reasons he isn't on the White Sox. Perhaps KW never made him an offer? Perhaps he wanted to play for a team with a better shot at winning it all? Perhaps he wanted to sign with an east coast team to be closer to his family?

I ****ing hate Boston. Is there anything they won't ruin for me?

Boston killed my father.

doublem23
01-08-2009, 08:07 AM

Yeah, like Honus Wagner, Babe Ruth, Eddie Collins, Joe Jackson, George Sisler, Rogers Hornsby, Eddie Plank, Ed Walsh, Mickey Cochrane, Lefty Grove, Mordecai Brown, Jimmie Foxx, Dizzy Dean, Al Simmons, Ray Schalk, Dazzy Vance, Hank Greenberg, Satchel Paige, Lefty Gomez, Early Wynn, Nellie Fox, Warren Spahn, Roger Maris, Ralph Kiner, Robin Roberts, Willie Mays, Duke Snider, Hank Aaron, Frank Robinson, Juan Marichal, Luis Aparicio, Harmon Killebrew, Lou Brock, Hoyt Wilhelm, Willie McCovey, Catfish Hunter, Billy Williams, Joe Morgan, Rod Carew, Tom Seaver, Reggie Jackson, Steve Carlton, Phil Niekro, Larry Doby, Nolan Ryan, Carlton Fisk, Dave Winfield, Ozzie Smith, Eddie Murray, Dennis Eckersley, Paul Molitor, Wade Boggs, Ryne Sandberg, or Bruce Sutter.

doublem23
01-08-2009, 08:09 AM
Eh, there is a host of reasons he isn't on the White Sox. Perhaps KW never made him an offer? Perhaps he wanted to play for a team with a better shot at winning it all? Perhaps he wanted to sign with an east coast team to be closer to his family?

Perhaps the Sox just aren't interested in a 42-year-old pitcher who tossed 28 innings last year and has had recurring shoulder injuries?

:dunno:

itsnotrequired
01-08-2009, 08:27 AM
Perhaps the Sox just aren't interested in a 42-year-old pitcher who tossed 28 innings last year and has had recurring shoulder injuries?

nope, it is clearly another case of kw not having his act together. after all, if kw can't sign him, no one can!

:D:

doublem23
01-08-2009, 09:11 AM
nope, it is clearly another case of kw not having his act together. after all, if kw can't sign him, no one can!

Of course! How silly of me.

NLaloosh
01-08-2009, 09:37 AM

The Red Sox aren't expecting him to contribute before June 1. So, I'm not faulting the White Sox at all on this one.

pmck003
01-08-2009, 02:09 PM

I can't blame a guy for wanting to try something new after 20 years in the same place.

areilly
01-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Yeah, like Honus Wagner, Babe Ruth, Eddie Collins, Joe Jackson, George Sisler, Rogers Hornsby, Eddie Plank, Ed Walsh, Mickey Cochrane, Lefty Grove, Mordecai Brown, Jimmie Foxx, Dizzy Dean, Al Simmons, Ray Schalk, Dazzy Vance, Hank Greenberg, Satchel Paige, Lefty Gomez, Early Wynn, Nellie Fox, Warren Spahn, Roger Maris, Ralph Kiner, Robin Roberts, Willie Mays, Duke Snider, Hank Aaron, Frank Robinson, Juan Marichal, Luis Aparicio, Harmon Killebrew, Lou Brock, Hoyt Wilhelm, Willie McCovey, Catfish Hunter, Billy Williams, Joe Morgan, Rod Carew, Tom Seaver, Reggie Jackson, Steve Carlton, Phil Niekro, Larry Doby, Nolan Ryan, Carlton Fisk, Dave Winfield, Ozzie Smith, Eddie Murray, Dennis Eckersley, Paul Molitor, Wade Boggs, Ryne Sandberg, or Bruce Sutter.

Mike Sirotka and Craig Wilson were clearly more distinguished gentlemen of the game than your laundry list of garish mercenaries.

A change of scenery? Perish the thought!

thomas35forever
01-08-2009, 05:12 PM
That was terrible for baseball.
How? Maybe I just like players like Gehrig, Ripken, and Gwynn.

areilly
01-08-2009, 05:18 PM

Just out of curiosity, how many ballgames did you attend where Lou Gehrig was in the lineup?

whitesox901
01-08-2009, 05:19 PM
Of course! How silly of me.

At least you understand now :D:

Mr. White Sox
01-08-2009, 05:46 PM

Of course the White Sox could have passed on him. But a post-June 1 Smoltz, even with the major risks associated with his age and history, is a more valuable pitcher than Clayton Richard or Lance Broadway.

And sure, KW may have avoided him altogether, which is fine. But do you really think the Red Sox were the only team to offer him that kind of deal in all of baseball? I think the most logical reasoning is he took a deal that wasn't the highest monetary offer with the best team that gave him a reasonable enough offer.

Craig Grebeck
01-08-2009, 06:14 PM
Well, if you're saying you miss the days when players would play out their entire careers on the same team, at their discretion, then I guess I see your point, but if you're saying you miss the days when players were forced to stay on teams until they were released/traded, then I don't see your point. Either way, good for Smoltz. Frank Wren has already established that he's a complete moron, so it shouldn't come as any surprise that he's alienated both the fans and Chipper Jones. Attaboy Wren.

itsnotrequired
01-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Of course the White Sox could have passed on him. But a post-June 1 Smoltz, even with the major risks associated with his age and history, is a more valuable pitcher than Clayton Richard or Lance Broadway.

And sure, KW may have avoided him altogether, which is fine. But do you really think the Red Sox were the only team to offer him that kind of deal in all of baseball? I think the most logical reasoning is he took a deal that wasn't the highest monetary offer with the best team that gave him a reasonable enough offer.

i'd rather have kw looking at long-term solutions for pitching rather than hoping a dinosaur is available for half a season.

:shrug: