PDA

View Full Version : Good Free Agents the Sox Should Get?

Rdy2PlayBall
01-07-2009, 07:07 PM
What possible free agents can the White Sox get to get you all into thinking the Sox are a playoff team in 09'? I want to hear all of your ideas because I look at all of this like the Yankees, BUY BUY BUY!!! :tongue: Like what if the Sox had another 20M-30M in their pockets and they were just going to use it on free agents, who could/should they get? :?:

Why not someone like Ben Sheets? I don't get it, the guy is a good SP, and the Sox need one don't they? :?: $12,125,000 in 08' .... He'd make it so we have Buehrle, Floyd, Danks, and Sheets (no order).... that leaves room to experiment with Clayton or anyone else in the 5th spot.

I don't know who else, this was more of a thread to hear what you guys think to get me more excited about next year! :redneck

(correct me is anything I said about Ben Sheets is flawed, I just looked him up on ESPN)

kittle42
01-07-2009, 07:29 PM
I don't know who else, this was more of a thread to hear what you guys think to get me more excited about next year! :redneck

Don't get excited talking about free agents and adding to the payroll, then. I'd find something else.

Rdy2PlayBall
01-07-2009, 07:35 PM
Don't get excited talking about free agents and adding to the payroll, then. I'd find something else.That helps... thanks? :?:

whitesox901
01-07-2009, 11:20 PM
Starters: Ben Sheets, Oliver Perez or Pedro Martinez
Reliever: Darren Oliver

BadBobbyJenks
01-07-2009, 11:22 PM
Barry Bonds obviously.

Lillian
01-08-2009, 04:12 AM
I still think that the most realistic acquisition would be Bobby Abreu.
The Sox have an imbalance of right handed hitters. The only dangerous bat in the lineup is Thome, and who knows if he can stay healthy at his age?
In addition to Quentin, Dye, Konerko, and Ramirez, all of the emerging, and developing hitters are right handed including Beckham, Fields and Viciedo.

Id like to see them sign Abreu to a 2 or 3 year deal.
Then they could trade Dye for a much needed starter. TCQ moves to RF, and Abreu takes over in LF.

That would still leave the hole in the lead off spot, but maybe they can acquire someone to fill that role and play CF. I guess they are going to try Owens or Lillibridge there but its hard to get very excited about either of them.

cws05champ
01-08-2009, 08:08 AM
I still think that the most realistic acquisition would be Bobby Abreu.
The Sox have an imbalance of right handed hitters. The only dangerous bat in the lineup is Thome, and who knows if he can stay healthy at his age?
In addition to Quentin, Dye, Konerko, and Ramirez, all of the emerging, and developing hitters are right handed including Beckham, Fields and Viciedo.

Id like to see them sign Abreu to a 2 or 3 year deal.
Then they could trade Dye for a much needed starter. TCQ moves to RF, and Abreu takes over in LF.

That would still leave the hole in the lead off spot, but maybe they can acquire someone to fill that role and play CF. I guess they are going to try Owens or Lillibridge there but its hard to get very excited about either of them.
You think Dye really has trade value in this market? I mean, Pat Burrell only got $8M per year from the Rays. Dye is signed for over $11M plus an option. I really don't think teams wil take on his salary and give up good pitching or young prospects in this market when they could go and sign Abreu themselves and not goive up any draft picks.

white sox bill
01-08-2009, 08:40 AM
Speaking for myself, I'm a bit disappointed that the offseason has brought little so far. We all know our neighboors to the north have been more active. We still have some big questions marks from up the middle to tail end of our rotation. KW is not thru yet. Not naming names, but we will see what Kenny will come up with

Bucky F. Dent
01-08-2009, 09:52 AM
What about John Smoltz. Heard that the BoSox are looking to sign him.

Not sure what contract he would demand. But if we could get him on a two year deal to serve as our fourth SP, that would be outstanding. Not sure, however, where he views himself at this point.

01-08-2009, 10:20 AM
What about John Smoltz. Heard that the BoSox are looking to sign him.

Not sure what contract he would demand. But if we could get him on a two year deal to serve as our fourth SP, that would be outstanding. Not sure, however, where he views himself at this point.

John Smoltz is not signing with the White Sox, it's not even worth talking about. The Red Sox have him all but locked up, he's been talking with them since the winter meetings.

Gammons Peter
01-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Didn't you guys get the memo? We are slashing payroll, going young & rebuilding. There will be no big free agents signed unless Kenny can dump Dye or Konerko....then he might sign a stop gap type player....on the cheap

areilly
01-08-2009, 10:46 AM
Why not someone like Ben Sheets? I don't get it, the guy is a good SP, and the Sox need one don't they? :?:

He's just such a huuuuuuuge injury risk, even by the standards of what the Sox will take on. If he'd go on a one-year, low base salary deal with high incentives, possibly with an option for 2010 that kicked in based on some combination of starts and IP, I wouldn't object.

But my gut says someone else (Texas? Baltimore?) will give him a ridiculous deal rendering this whole discussion moot.

kittle42
01-08-2009, 11:35 AM
Didn't you guys get the memo? We are slashing payrole, going young & rebuilding. There will be no big free agents signed unless Kenny can dump Dye or Konerko....then he might sign a stop gap type player....on the cheap

That was my point earlier. Thread is pointless.

DumpJerry
01-08-2009, 01:12 PM
Speaking for myself, I'm a bit disappointed that the offseason has brought little so far. We all know our neighboors to the north have been more active. We still have some big questions marks from up the middle to tail end of our rotation. KW is not thru yet. Not naming names, but we will see what Kenny will come up with
If we decide what moves to make based on what the Cubs do, we're in trouble. Why use the Cubs as the barometer of what we should do? Let's use the Rockies, that makes just as much sense.

The Cubs' needs and the White Sox needs are not identical. Why get worked up over what they do? Remember, every year for the past 25+ years the Cubs have won the World Series in the month of February.

kittle42
01-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Remember, every year for the past 25+ years the Cubs have won the World Series in the month of February.

I sure was ready to hand it to them last year, and they would have done it if not for the recently annual October implosion.

Foulke You
01-08-2009, 02:44 PM
The guy I think that fits the Sox pitching needs perfectly is Paul Byrd. He may be getting up there with age but he has proven very durable. He eats lots of innings which is something we need with the departure of Javy. In '05 he pitched 204 innings, in '06 he pitched 179, in '07 he pitched 192, and last year he threw 180. He is experienced in the AL and has averaged 10-15 wins per season in the last four years. Seems just what the doctor ordered if you ask me. I'm not sure how much Byrd will command on the free agent market but something tells me he will not get Ben Sheets or Derek Lowe type money.

dickallen15
01-08-2009, 02:48 PM
The guy I think that fits the Sox pitching needs perfectly is Paul Byrd. He may be getting up there with age but he has proven very durable. He eats lots of innings which is something we need with the departure of Javy. In '05 he pitched 204 innings, in '06 he pitched 179, in '07 he pitched 192, and last year he threw 180. He is experienced in the AL and has averaged 10-15 wins per season in the last four years. Seems just what the doctor ordered if you ask me. I'm not sure how much Byrd will command on the free agent market but something tells me he will not get Ben Sheets or Derek Lowe type money.

I would agree, but he seems to want to play very close to home or he'd rather just retire. I don't think signing a guy who's heart really isn't totally into it is the right thing to do.

soxrme
01-08-2009, 02:50 PM
I see that the Red Sox are going to sign Rocco Baldeli, I wish we would have gone after him. We still need a center fielder.

Foulke You
01-08-2009, 02:52 PM
I would agree, but he seems to want to play very close to home or he'd rather just retire. I don't think signing a guy who's heart really isn't totally into it is the right thing to do.
Interesting, I hadn't heard he was contemplating retirement. Where is his home? Byrd's Yahoo profile says he was born in Louisville, KY. Kentucky isn't too far from Chicago if that where he currently lives. Also in the world of MLB, I think the money will dictate how much his heart is into it. If the commas and zeros in the right places, something tells me he'd play here.

dickallen15
01-08-2009, 03:07 PM
Interesting, I hadn't heard he was contemplating retirement. Where is his home? Byrd's Yahoo profile says he was born in Louisville, KY. Kentucky isn't too far from Chicago if that where he currently lives. Also in the world of MLB, I think the money will dictate how much his heart is into it. If the commas and zeros in the right places, something tells me he'd play here.
He lives in Atlanta. He wants to be close to home and as you stated is contemplating retiring, or playing in the second half of the season.

Foulke You
01-08-2009, 05:28 PM
He lives in Atlanta. He wants to be close to home and as you stated is contemplating retiring, or playing in the second half of the season.
Ah, I didn't know he was in Atlanta. Too bad. Byrd could have been what the doctor ordered. There just aren't many *affordable* veteran innings eaters anymore. Instead, we live in an era of MLB where the premium on good starting pitching is so high, a guy like Mark Prior nets a guaranteed $1.5 million last year to never throw a single pitch for the Padres. Matt Clement got $1.5 million from the Cards this year and he didn't throw a single pitch the entire 2008 season. A crappy pitcher like Carlos Silva got something like 4 years and $48 million a year ago. Teach your kids to be starting pitchers, parents.:tongue:

Lillian
01-08-2009, 05:34 PM
You think Dye really has trade value in this market? I mean, Pat Burrell only got $8M per year from the Rays. Dye is signed for over $11M plus an option. I really don't think teams wil take on his salary and give up good pitching or young prospects in this market when they could go and sign Abreu themselves and not goive up any draft picks.

You raise a very good point. That brings up the previous discussion on this forum concerning whether it would be better to sign Abreu before trying to trade Dye. Your comment makes me think that it would be better to sign him first.

As far as Dyes trade value, I think that a team in need of right handed hitting production, with a desire to avoid taking on a long term contract, could find him very attractive. He has been one of the most consistent RBI guys over the last few years.

gf2020
01-08-2009, 06:37 PM
I saw that the Nationals declared themselves out of the bidding for Orlando Hudson. They were really the only team pursuing him hard core from what I hear. I know Kenny wants the kids to play, but I wonder if Hudson could be had on a one or two year deal. at a somewhat reasonable place. These b-level free agents are going to have to accept some lower offers eventually.

01-08-2009, 10:17 PM
I saw that the Nationals declared themselves out of the bidding for Orlando Hudson. They were really the only team pursuing him hard core from what I hear. I know Kenny wants the kids to play, but I wonder if Hudson could be had on a one or two year deal. at a somewhat reasonable place. These b-level free agents are going to have to accept some lower offers eventually.

So do you think the White Sox will be willing to give up their 1st round draft choice in addition to the money it will take to sign Hudson? I don't.

russ99
01-11-2009, 01:10 PM
So do you think the White Sox will be willing to give up their 1st round draft choice in addition to the money it will take to sign Hudson? I don't.

That depends. Like what if a team without a protected pick signs Cabrera? We'd likely move up in the draft. And even if a team with a protected pick signs him, we still get a sandwich pick not too far below the one we'd give up for Hudson, so the draft losses by signing Hudson are minimal.

And his FA cost won't be too prohibitive, due to the injury concerns and low interest by other teams. He'd probably slot in around the same amount as Cabrera last season.

I'd have to say it would be more along the lines of Kenny being OK with it philosophically, since he seems committed to the three-headed prospects at 2B next season. I guess it would come down to how desperate he is to get a leadoff bat for Ozzie.

gr8mexico
01-11-2009, 06:00 PM
The Sox should look at getting guys like Luis Ayala RHP, David Eickstein SS, Mark Grudzielanek 2B, Odalis Perez LHP, or Chuck James LHP.
They should be able to get these guys dirt cheap.

kittle42
01-11-2009, 06:20 PM
The Sox should look at getting guys like Luis Ayala RHP, David Eickstein SS, Mark Grudzielanek 2B, Odalis Perez LHP, or Chuck James LHP.

Yes, because they all suck.

gr8mexico
01-11-2009, 07:38 PM
Yes, because they all suck.
Why? Because you say so
Oh yeah the all mighty Kittle42 has spoken. Sorry

delben91
01-11-2009, 07:42 PM
What about Bad free agents they can sign?

kittle42
01-11-2009, 08:02 PM
Why? Because you say so
Oh yeah the all mighty Kittle42 has spoken. Sorry

Give me a break. I really think their abilities/ages (for most)/stats speak for themselves. I don't think a multi-paragraph explanation of the horribleness of Odalis Perez is needed.

I can't remember - were you also advocating the signing of Mark Hendrickson? He also sucks.

Brian26
01-11-2009, 09:36 PM

As far as Eckstein and Grudzielanek, they probably would have been nice fits three years ago (the Sox in fact were after Eckstein before '05 and had to settle on Iguchi, thankfully). But, for 2009, I'd just as much rather see what Getz and Lillibridge can do.