PDA

View Full Version : A 3rd baseball team in Illinois..

nut_stock
05-23-2002, 12:37 AM
Downstate legislators in Illinois are pushing a proposal to lure the St. Louis Cardinals across the River. They feel optimistic of getting northen legislator support because of the new Bears deal and the past WHITE SOX stadium deal.
The State of Missouri balked at financing a downtown St.Louis ballpark. The chances of them leaving downtown just got a huge boost. The two possibilities (other than staying downtown are St.Charles-St. Peters Missouri, or Metro-East Illinois.

the scorekeeper
05-23-2002, 05:11 PM
I'm not big on publically-financed stadiums, so I think that would be a lousy idea.

I've only been there once, but I liked the location of Busch stadium, and I think the Cards would lose a lot by dropping in to East St. Louis.

Soxheads
05-23-2002, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by the scorekeeper
I'm not big on publically-financed stadiums, so I think that would be a lousy idea.

I've only been there once, but I liked the location of Busch stadium, and I think the Cards would lose a lot by dropping in to East St. Louis.

Agreed, when I went there, I really liked the location.

KruseControl04
05-23-2002, 05:25 PM
Why would the St. Louis Cardinals want to move to IL. Then they'd just be the "Southern IL where no one lives Cardials"

ISUSoxfan
05-23-2002, 10:08 PM
I don't see anything wrong with Busch Stadium (except the beer prices). I sat in the top row of the upper deck there last year to cheer the Cards on to a victory over the sCrUBS. I had a perfect view of Fassero not covering first base in time, and I thought even the top row there is a much better seat than even half way up the upper deck at Comiskey. The Stadium is enclosed, the noise stays in, and you feel like you are at the same game as everyone else in the building. If any Illinois tax money goes to a new stadium, it better be for the White Sox. We need it much worse than the Cards do.

Viva Magglio
05-23-2002, 11:03 PM
I hope that the downtown stadium proposal is the one that comes to be. Downtown St. Louis is the perfect place for the Cardinals to play because of the walking distance from the hotels and attractions like Gateway Arch, the Landing, and the Old Cathedral.

I go to St. Louis each summer, usually for Cardinals baseball but this year for the Illini-Mizzou football game, and I would lose interest if the Cardinals moved out of downtown.

mike squires
05-23-2002, 11:29 PM
my father in law is a huge cardinal fan and i've been up there 3 times for games. it is great. the location of the park is perfect. the arch is practically acrossed the street and the landing is within walking distance. (if you haven't been to the landing you must og. it's awesome. almost like it's own little community. st.louis is one of the great baseball towns. it would be a mistsake for them to move.

nut_stock
05-23-2002, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by KruseControl04
Why would the St. Louis Cardinals want to move to IL. Then they'd just be the "Southern IL where no one lives Cardials"

Hey now, I live in Southern Illinois...

but with that said, I want them to stay downtown. I probably make it to 12 games a year, and it's in the perfect location. The problem is that the Missouri legislature didn't debate the bill before the session ended. The Cardinal owners (idiots) are in a hurry to build it, because they were basically awarded the 2006 al-star game.

doublem23
05-24-2002, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by michael penny
my father in law is a huge cardinal fan and i've been up there 3 times for games. it is great. the location of the park is perfect. the arch is practically acrossed the street and the landing is within walking distance. (if you haven't been to the landing you must og. it's awesome. almost like it's own little community. st.louis is one of the great baseball towns. it would be a mistsake for them to move.

I agree.... While I love the Sox, Comiskey, and Comiskeyville, there really is something very special about St. Louis, too. The whole place has a real minor league feel to it. I absoletuly loved the city...

But I'm not going to college there, so screw them! :smile:

Jerry_Manuel
05-24-2002, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
I agree.... While I love the Sox, Comiskey, and Comiskeyville, there really is something very special about St. Louis, too. The whole place has a real minor league feel to it. I absoletuly loved the city...

But I'm not going to college there, so screw them! :smile:

Doub, can you imagine what Reinsdorf would say if they moved to Illinois? :smile:

:reinsy
We can't bring in any free agents because there's another team in Illinois.

nut_stock
05-24-2002, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Doub, can you imagine what Reinsdorf would say if they moved to Illinois? :smile:

I can, it would be. "What do I get out of this?, I know, how about 50 million dollars to renovate Comiskey Park!"

Procol Harum
05-24-2002, 12:27 PM
Geez, serious Demographic question here WSI faithful--there are skads of Cards fans downstate--do you think that they may actually outnumber Sox fans in Illinois? Given that the Flubs have the most "fans" (I, of course, use that term loosely)--are we numerically the smallest tribe of the three "Illinois teams"? I know that I've been impressed with the way the Sox radio network has expanded in recent years--there are a lot of stations broadcasting the games downstate these days compared, to, say, 25 years ago. Downstaters--input, please.

ISUSoxfan
05-24-2002, 01:37 PM
I live in Normal. The ISU campus has a majority of sCrUb fans, but we also have some really good Sox fans and some ok Cardinal fans. The town community leans toward St. Louis. The local McDonnald's sell Cardinal bobble head dolls and most of the people I know who have lived here a while are Cardinal fans. Peoria has the Cardinals' Single A affiliate, so I'm sure they have plenty of Card fans too. The Cards became my second favorite team at the end of last year when they knocked the sCrUBs out of playoff contention. I formed alliances with several Cardinal fans against the sCrUB fans.

FYI, the way to tell an intellegent Cardinal fan from a dumb one is to ask them what they think of Tony LaRussa. If they like him, they are dumb asses. If they give you a disgusted look and begin ripping on him, you know they know their baseball.

As for the broadcasts, we get WGN and FSN Chicago, but not CIU or FSN+. We have to go to the bar to see those games (damn). The other cable company in town recently dropped FSN Chicago, but gets a lot more Cardinal games. The only Cardinal telecasts my cable broadcasts are on the weekends on UPN. We don't have a Sox radio affiliate, but AM 1000 comes in during the day.