PDA

View Full Version : Pavano signs with Tribe

thedudeabides
01-06-2009, 04:30 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3813706

1 year. Low base, plus incentives. $1.5 million, plus Pavano can earn an additional $5.3 million based on starts and innings pitched.

turners56
01-06-2009, 04:33 PM
Not a bad gamble.

DumpJerry
01-06-2009, 05:06 PM
The Cleveland Clinic is an excellent medical center. One of the best in the country.

wsf4l
01-06-2009, 05:43 PM
Prediction:No more than 5 starts this year

whitesox901
01-06-2009, 07:37 PM
The Cleveland Clinic is an excellent medical center. One of the best in the country.

:kneeslap:

RKMeibalane
01-06-2009, 08:26 PM
Pavano and Wood can drink away their sorrows when both end up on the DL.

A. Cavatica
01-06-2009, 11:04 PM
Whatever happened to Jaret Wright, anyway?

PaleHoser
01-07-2009, 01:01 AM
$1.5M to occupy a spot on the DL. I'll do it for $150K.

SoxNation05
01-07-2009, 01:39 AM
Whatever happened to Jaret Wright, anyway?

Remember when his 3 year 27 million was considered a hefty price?

drewcifer
01-07-2009, 01:44 AM
1 yr, 1.5 with incentives that would make him worth $7-10M+ if he comes back?

I'll be sick if this works out for them.

This is exactly the deal a team that is trotting out a 3 pitcher rotation (2 of which have 1 season behind them) should be looking for at #4 or #5...

And before anyone digs it up, I know I ridiculed the Yankees for being on the hook for him for so many years. But he DID get that $ for a reason and NY screws pitchers up (see Contreras, Loiaza, Marte, Politte, etc. etc.)

Nice job, Toons. Seriously. That really looks like a peanuts, no risk, super-high potential reward deal to me....

****ing smart.

Marqhead
01-07-2009, 07:45 AM

This is exactly the deal a team that is trotting out a 3 pitcher rotation (2 of which have 1 season behind them) should be looking for at #4 or #5...

And before anyone digs it up, I know I ridiculed the Yankees for being on the hook for him for so many years. But he DID get that $ for a reason and NY screws pitchers up (see Contreras, Loiaza, Marte, Politte, etc. etc.)

Nice job, Toons. Seriously. That really looks like a peanuts, no risk, super-high potential reward deal to me....

****ing smart.

I agree completely. I wouldn't be surpriseed at all if Pavano somewhat returns to form and puts together a decent season. I'm not expecting it, but I'll be disappointed if it happens.

doublem23
01-07-2009, 08:26 AM

****ing smart.

Carl Pavano has never been that great, he signed that megabucks deal because he had a fantastic contract year in Florida, owned the Yankees in the '03 World Series, and hit the market at the perfect time when the Yanks were reeling from the Sawx World Series win and were willing to throw bags of money at anyone.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/p/pavanca01.shtml

2 winning seasons before he went to New York, topped 200 IP twice. Now he's 33 years old and has started 9 games in the past three years. Cleveland's wasting their time.

SoxfaninLA
01-07-2009, 09:59 AM
Pavano is hot garbage, him being picked up by Cleveland should not worry anybody here. He has pitched less than 50 innings the last 3 years combined! He will have a nice warm spot on the Cleveland DL. In fact, I would argue that it is probably good news for us if the guy stays healthy and is in the rotation, he has only had one above average year since 2002 and that was in the NL.

areilly
01-07-2009, 11:06 AM
Smart money says he makes the Sox look stupid at least once in 2009, Livan Hernandez-style (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200805070.shtml).

khan
01-07-2009, 11:20 AM
Pavano does suck. But Pavano has proven himself moreso than any of the craptacular youngsters that the club will depend on this season. I wouldn't be surprised if Pavano has fewer than 5 wins, but I also wouldn't be surprised if his win total exceeds that of Richard, Broadway, and Poreda combined in 2009.

Having said all that, IMO a veteran starter is exactly what this team needs to try to compete in 2009. [IF KW/JR/OG are actually trying to compete this year.]

If not, and the plan is to go young, then Konerko/Dye/Thome, and possibly Buehrle and Jenks had better not be here on Opening Day.

But again, its only January 7th, and we have a lot more offseason to go.

doublem23
01-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Coop coulda fixed him

thedudeabides
01-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Carl Pavano has never been that great, he signed that megabucks deal because he had a fantastic contract year in Florida, owned the Yankees in the '03 World Series, and hit the market at the perfect time when the Yanks were reeling from the Sawx World Series win and were willing to throw bags of money at anyone.

2 winning seasons before he went to New York, topped 200 IP twice. Now he's 33 years old and has started 9 games in the past three years. Cleveland's wasting their time.

Totally agree. I would love for the Sox to pick up another veteran for the rotation, but not a guy who hasn't thrown more than 100 innings in a season since 2004. And even when he did that, he's had one good season in his entire career.

He came back to make 7 starts last year and looked aweful. I look forward to the Sox facing him.

I would rather take a chance on Freddy, Bartolo, or the new hot rumor of Pedro. And I'm not excited about any of those options.

jabrch
01-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Great Deal! The Sox don't have to pay for a guy they will take BP off of a few times this year!

I can't wait!

I can't believe (I guess I should) that there are people who regret not blowing 1.5mm on this assbag. If you miss him, you should be clamouring for Mark Prior. He is out there.

doublem23
01-07-2009, 12:57 PM
If you miss him, you should be clamouring for Mark Prior. He is out there.

At least, at one point in his life, Mark Prior could have developed into an elite pitcher. The same cannot be said for our friend Carl.

sox102
01-07-2009, 01:36 PM
Smart money says he makes the Sox look stupid at least once in 2009, Livan Hernandez-style (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200805070.shtml).

I'll put money on that.