PDA

View Full Version : Cuban's Take on the Cubs Saga

soxfan43
01-06-2009, 01:34 PM
I'm not a huge Mark Cuban fan, but his blog entry today on the sale of the cubs was an interesting read.

http://blogmaverick.com/

skobabe8
01-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Interesting.

redsand22
01-06-2009, 01:51 PM
He does have an interesting blog. I really enjoyed watching the Why (http://www.watcherswebclubhouse.com/dating/member/) Owning the Mavs Can be Amazing - Seats for Soldiers clips a little further down on his blog.

SOXPHILE
01-06-2009, 01:59 PM
Cubtool Murphy on The Score was just reading this. He almost sounds shocked that Cuban won't be buying the Cubs. If he honestly thought that Cuban had any more than a snowball's chance in hell of buying ANY MLB team, let alone the Cubs, he's even more of an idiot than even I thought he was all these years.

veeter
01-06-2009, 02:09 PM
So am I to believe if Cuban bought the cubs, he would have insisted Chicago become a cubs town? What a novel concept.

soxfan43
01-06-2009, 02:15 PM
I would have liked to see the public reaction if he had implemented his plan to lower the Cubs payroll into the "2nd tier" and spend the money on player dev and scouting, which isn't exactly a horrible idea. But imagine all the Cub "fans" responding to it, it would be classic.

DSpivack
01-06-2009, 02:20 PM
I would have liked to see the public reaction if he had implemented his plan to lower the Cubs payroll into the "2nd tier" and spend the money on player dev and scouting, which isn't exactly a horrible idea. But imagine all the Cub "fans" responding to it, it would be classic.

I think he means right about where they are at right now, i.e. below the Yankees and Red Sox.

Scottiehaswheels
01-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Even billionaires can't use spell check. :D: Have a field day with that link kittle!

kittle42
01-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Even billionaires can't use spell check. :D: Have a field day with that link kittle!

I am afraid to click. Cuban is contributing to the downfall of society.

spiffie
01-06-2009, 03:42 PM
I am afraid to click. Cuban is contributing to the downfall of society.
One day laws will be passed allowing Kittle to execute anyone who fails to adhere to the iron laws of grammar.

kittle42
01-06-2009, 03:46 PM
One day laws will be passed allowing Kittle to execute anyone who fails to adhere to the iron laws of grammar.

I'd really just prefer a law forcing parents to make kids pay attention to and care about school. But perhaps these other laws you suggest would aid in enforcing my law!

Tragg
01-06-2009, 03:48 PM
He speaks of the Sox and Cubs being treated as equals in business dealings, and seems to think that's wrong because the Cubs are more popular.
What's he getting at?

Mark Cuban has personality...that's good for any sport.

kobo
01-06-2009, 04:02 PM
He speaks of the Sox and Cubs being treated as equals in business dealings, and seems to think that's wrong because the Cubs are more popular.
What's he getting at?

Mark Cuban has personality...that's good for any sport.
That's what I am wondering as well. Is he speaking in terms of sponsorship, local TV and radio revenue, merchandising?

Foulke You
01-06-2009, 04:35 PM
What's he getting at?
I didn't really understand that comment he made either. Perhaps "business dealings" refers to advertising revenue? He feels the Cubs should be charging more for commercials and advertising than the White Sox do? Perhaps it has something to do with their shared TV revenue arrangement on Comcast Sports Net? However, it is my understanding that the Hawks, Bulls, Cubs, and Sox all own an equal share of that network so I don't know if even that is what he is talking about.

kkappelk
01-06-2009, 05:00 PM
You have to figure that when doing "business dealings" with Reinsdorf it's not just about the White Sox or Bulls individually. Any partner knows that he owns 2 of the 5 major sports in this town. Cuban should know that just because the Cubs are more popular than the Sox, they are probably not more popular than the Bulls and Sox combined. In other words, "work" with JR or risk losing access to 2 major pro sports.

1908<2005
01-06-2009, 07:27 PM
I was rooting for Cuban to win this bidding. I find him overrated as a sports owner.

Brian26
01-06-2009, 07:52 PM
I'm not a huge Mark Cuban fan, but his blog entry today on the sale of the cubs was an interesting read.

http://blogmaverick.com/

I don't know what's so interesting about it. He comes off every bit as much of an arrogant jackass as he is on television, and he even threw some subtle jabs in at the Sox. Between that and the subjective comments he made about MLB owners rooting for him to buy the Flubs, it's a waste of time.

whitesox901
01-06-2009, 07:55 PM
interesting

drewcifer
01-06-2009, 10:52 PM
I didn't find this interesting at all either. Cuban is not a businessman at all. Anyone familiar with him knows this. He stepped in ****. He's not really very good at anything.

Reading this between the lines, it looks like his tech-bubble bull**** $ aside, he actually admits he couldn't sell anybody with 101 technique.

Good - even if it is the Cubs.

DumpJerry
01-06-2009, 11:10 PM
What a monster ego! He completely ignores why he was dismissed as a potential buyer: He is accused of insider trading by the SEC. He blames the credit crisis instead. He also Soxsessed. His statements about the Sox would bite him in the ass if he was still under consideration. He also needs to be introduced to commas and apostrophes.

His garbage about how a winner on the north side is needed for financial success shows how little he understands the Cub fan base. When it comes to the Cubs, all you have to do is show up in blue unis and the fans will be there. It is White Sox fans who require success in the won-loss stats to show up.

Finally, if I could hack into his blog, I'd throw this tag on it:
:dumbass:

Lip Man 1
01-06-2009, 11:47 PM
Dump:

You know how to reach him and he reads his e-mails. Tell him what you just told us, let's see how he responds.

Lip

FireMariotti
01-07-2009, 01:47 AM
Maybe he just didn't like the smell of piss in the bleachers?:dunno:

The Immigrant
01-07-2009, 09:03 AM
Between that and the subjective comments he made about MLB owners rooting for him to buy the Flubs, it's a waste of time.

Yup. It really makes me root for the boys at the SEC.

It's Time
01-07-2009, 09:50 AM
1 BILLION dollars? Since when did the Cubs become the Yankees?:scratch:

whitesox901
01-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Dump:

You know how to reach him and he reads his e-mails. Tell him what you just told us, let's see how he responds.

Lip

I agree

kittle42
01-07-2009, 11:55 AM

I've been asking that question for years, ever since Cubs fans and the media started acting like the Cubs were the Yankees.

DumpJerry
01-07-2009, 03:07 PM
Dump:

Lip
I'm not curious enough. You, or someone else, can send it to him.

Lip Man 1
01-07-2009, 05:39 PM
But I don't have a bone to pick in this. He can say what he wants but the fact is that he had ZERO chance to get ownership. Proud To Be Your Bud and JR were going to see to that.

Lip

DumpJerry
01-07-2009, 06:25 PM
The comments are hilarious. The Blue Sheep feel he would have been The Messiah...

One of my favorites, however, said that Wrigley "kinda smells funny" and is not a great place to watch a game. The poster? Someone named "Murph." I thought Murph was an unapolgetic Cub fan on The Score.....

None of the posters mentioned his minor SEC problem. Maybe someone should......:rolleyes:

Edit: Posted "Too bad the SEC messed up your plans."

DumpJerry
01-07-2009, 11:24 PM
Edit: Posted "Too bad the SEC messed up your plans."
This is interesting. The post showed up on the computer I used to post it. Even a couple of hours later. Now I'm on a different computer and it does not show.

What's wrong Mark? Reality bites?

WhiteSoxFan84
01-08-2009, 12:50 AM
When I first read the title of this thread, I got it. But two days after this story broke, I read the title and I ask myself, "Why the **** is Dayan Viciedo giving his take on the Cubs' Saga?"

1908<2005
01-08-2009, 01:45 AM

The Cubs are probably behind the Yankees and Red Sox in terms of most popular baseball franchise.

gowhitesox
01-08-2009, 02:50 AM
Mark Cuban may have money but I think he is crazy.

Lundind1
01-10-2009, 12:30 AM

I would not have a problem with that. It is better to learn what you are trying to express than to sound like a mushmouthed dope. Now, with that out of the way I have another uncharacteristically snappy remark for Mr. Cuban.

If you are out, then get out. I know that you like the limelight and publicity, but this is always going to be an organization that has a good reputation for bad losses. It is just best to distance yourself entirely, before you do end up with a portfolio of 2 pro teams who can't win jack.

Thanks for letting me get that one out. I appreciate it.

DumpJerry
01-10-2009, 12:36 AM
I would not have a problem with that. It is better to learn what you are trying to express than to sound like a mushmouthed dope. Now, with that out of the way I have another uncharacteristically snappy remark for Mr. Cuban.

If you are out, then get out. I know that you like the limelight and publicity, but this is always going to be an organization that has a good reputation for bad losses. It is just best to distance yourself entirely, before you do end up with a portfolio of 2 pro teams who can't win jack.

Thanks for letting me get that one out. I appreciate it.
It kills me he won't mention his little SEC problem. That was the nail in the coffin, but he can't admit that because it has nothing to do with his wonderful, cool, hip, with-it personality.