PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Burrell to Rays

Marqhead
01-05-2009, 02:31 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3811501

Pretty good deal for them. Adds some more pop to the middle of the lineup.

soxinem1
01-05-2009, 03:03 PM
If I am them, I upgrade SS as well and add Cabrera.

That will be one tough team on paper.

getonbckthr
01-05-2009, 03:22 PM
That upsets me. I would have loved for Kenny to sign Burrell for that deal then trade Dye for cheap pitching. WIth Quentin moving to RF.

As far as Philly goes they signed Ibanez for more than that correct? That looks like even more of a mistake now.

ohiosoxfan
01-05-2009, 03:50 PM
Maybe that would mean Abreu would be affordable????

areilly
01-05-2009, 03:56 PM
That upsets me. I would have loved for Kenny to sign Burrell for that deal then trade Dye for cheap pitching. WIth Quentin moving to RF.

That would've saved a good deal of money, but an outfield of Burrell/Quentin/Probably Not Brian Anderson would be a defensive disaster.

jabrch
01-05-2009, 04:07 PM
Teams are not going to take on big salaries for mediocre players. Maybe KW did get out of Swisher's deal while the getting was good?

getonbckthr
01-05-2009, 04:09 PM
That would've saved a good deal of money, but an outfield of Burrell/Quentin/Probably Not Brian Anderson would be a defensive disaster.
Is Dye that much better than Burrell? Disregard the arm because I would have Burrell penciled in at LF.

CashMan
01-05-2009, 04:13 PM
Is Dye that much better than Burrell? Disregard the arm because I would have Burrell penciled in at LF.

Dye is much better then Burrell. Burrell was playing in a contract year.

getonbckthr
01-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Dye is much better then Burrell. Burrell was playing in a contract year.
I meant in the field.

doublem23
01-05-2009, 04:27 PM
I meant in the field.

They're corner outfielders... Who cares about defense?

tm1119
01-05-2009, 04:28 PM
Burrell is awful in the field. Probably 1 of the worst in the league to actually play the field regularly. The Phillies took his bat out of the lineup in most games for a defensive replacement.

oeo
01-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Teams are not going to take on big salaries for mediocre players. Maybe KW did get out of Swisher's deal while the getting was good?

But some of the WSI experts told me since the Yankees splurged, contracts will continue to get bigger and bigger.

SoxNation05
01-06-2009, 12:28 AM
Burrell will be the Ray's DH according to ESPN.

thedudeabides
01-06-2009, 09:49 AM
That's a great deal. Two years at $16 million. And he gets to DH, so he's not hurting the Rays defense.

They needed a right handed power bat and they get a pretty good one, for a pretty good value.

I know every expert around the country will pick the Yankees to run away with the division, but I still like the Rays chances.

doublem23
01-06-2009, 10:22 AM
I still like the Rays chances.

The biggest reason to wonder about the Rays... In 2008, their bullpen ERA was a respectable 3.55 (3rd in AL, 3 less ERA and they'd have been #2). In 2007, the Devil Rays' bullpen had an atrocious ERA of 6.16.

I don't think they'll tumble back to the bottom of the league in bullpen ERA, but I do expect they'll fall back somewhere toward the middle, and they'll struggle to repeat as division champs. Under normal circumstances, I'd say the Rays would be a strong candidate to win their division or at least a very good candidate to make the post-season, but with the Yankees spend-a-thon this off-season, it's not too difficult to see TB finish in 3rd in the East and watching come October.

Craig Grebeck
01-06-2009, 11:31 AM
No, probably not.

palehozenychicty
01-08-2009, 11:04 AM
The biggest reason to wonder about the Rays... In 2008, their bullpen ERA was a respectable 3.55 (3rd in AL, 3 less ERA and they'd have been #2). In 2007, the Devil Rays' bullpen had an atrocious ERA of 6.16.

I don't think they'll tumble back to the bottom of the league in bullpen ERA, but I do expect they'll fall back somewhere toward the middle, and they'll struggle to repeat as division champs. Under normal circumstances, I'd say the Rays would be a strong candidate to win their division or at least a very good candidate to make the post-season, but with the Yankees spend-a-thon this off-season, it's not too difficult to see TB finish in 3rd in the East and watching come October.

The Yankees spending spree means nothing either. Their entire roster on paper is still quite slow and lacking defensive acumen, aside from Teixeira. The outfield looks suspect and is crowded with Nady, Damon, Matsui, Swisher, Gardner, and Melky. I would have liked to see KW get Gardner for the Sox's CF/leadoff job, but I think the Yanks want to keep him as insurance for Damon. It's not clear what they'll get out of Mariano, Posada, Wang, and Chamberlain who are all coming off injuries. Jeter finally looked old last season. Burnett is not durable.

I think that you can play paper, rock, scissors for the top three AL East teams and make a case.